Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,134 members, 7,818,414 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:51 PM

Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview (23229 Views)

I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again / Visa Interview Date With The American Embassy, Any Advice? / Guys Share Ur Us Visa Interview Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview by nowayone: 7:24am On Mar 04, 2012
Dear All

I am a nigerian which gave birth in the US using Medicaid (was told I qualified and that this would not lead to bad implications on my status) under my tourist visa.
Now I am renewing my visa and have an interview session with the visa officer. My worry is that the officer asks/discovers from their stats thtr I gave birth in the US and deny my application. Should I tell them my kid is US born under medicaid or should I hide this? I have not enrolled the baby as american locally so not sure they would know

Thanks in advance for sharing your views
Re: Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview by dancewith: 9:13am On Mar 04, 2012
nowayone:

Dear All

I am a nigerian which gave birth in the US using Medicaid (was told I qualified and that this would not lead to bad implications on my status) under my tourist visa.
Now I am renewing my visa and have an interview session with the visa officer. My worry is that the officer asks/discovers from their stats thtr I gave birth in the US and deny my application. Should I tell them my kid is US born under medicaid or should I hide this? I have not enrolled the baby as american locally so not sure they would know

They have records of all US citizens and their parents. Recall you had to submit a government issued ID of both parents during the US passport application for your baby. This is recorded by the department of state which oversees visa application.

Once you are going for a renewal, they will ask ask if you have had a baby before and if your answer yes, they will ask where the child'ren' was/were born. This is a standard and routine question for renewals. If you chose to lie, then you may become permanently ineligible for a tourist visa, although your baby can petition for an immigrant visa for you in the future. If you tell the truth, they will demand for the medical payment receipts. so as you can see, you have worked yourself into a tight situation by dodging this payment.

Good luck in your renewal and we would be happy to read how it worked out in the end
Re: Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview by nowayone: 11:04am On Mar 04, 2012
Hi Dancewith

Tks a lot for your clear response. Believe me, if I knew all implications of the medicaid, I would found another way. Actually I know that from the name and birth date of the child they could make a connection with parents; what I wanted to know was if I did not mention the kid or change his name, would the visa officer know I had a kid? It is an unfortunate situation from which I have no idea on how to get out. Regards
Re: Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview by teewai27: 3:39pm On Mar 04, 2012
I would say dont lie or withold any information from ur interviewer cos they probably know evrything. If ure lucky, u can get ur visa despite the medicaid issue. Good luck.
Re: Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview by WAVixen: 2:44am On Mar 05, 2012
Good luck with the interview, will you be travelling with the child? There is a question on the form that asks if you will be travelling alone. If you will be travelling alone you might get off getting a renewal. If yes, dots will be connected. Next time, its coming late though, look for a cheaper state or try a birthing center. Lets know how it went.
Re: Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview by dancewith: 7:41am On Mar 05, 2012
nowayone:

Hi Dancewith

Tks a lot for your clear response. Believe me, if I knew all implications of the medicaid, I would found another way. Actually I know that from the name and birth date of the child they could make a connection with parents; what I wanted to know was if I did not mention the kid or change his name, would the visa officer know I had a kid? It is an unfortunate situation from which I have no idea on how to get out. Regards

Sorry for the late response. the fact is that once you are going for a renewal, they must ask if you have any children. If you answer yes, the next question would be where they were born. This is routine questions. They are well aware Nigerian with previous visa issuance usually use the visa for medical tourism. Once you state they were born in the US, they must demand to see the bills and payments. If you chose to lie, they can easily find out about the birth by a simple computer enquiry. I will suggest you tell the truth but it is likely they will refuse you on first attempt.

I say first attempt because a family friend used medicaid for a child's birth in 2000, went for renewal in 2001 and was refused. Two subsequent applications were turned down but they finally got a new visa in 2008. I do not know if there is a time ban but eventually you will get the visa if you keep applying.

It is entirely possible the visa officer may not question you about the birth. I have heard stories of people that had kids here but got their visa renewed without the visa officer discovering about the birth. This is rare but you could get lucky
Re: Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview by nowayone: 8:15am On Mar 05, 2012
Hi

Tks for your reply. Actually, I am travelling alone, however there is a spot on the application where I am asked if I have children and their names. That is where I wonder if I should put his name or leave blank to avoid having them dig about the child his age, where he is born and making connections with my 3 months stay in the US. Next time, if there is any, I will make sure I pay the bills although, I know someone which was denied the visa despite having paid the bills. She was told she disclosed she would go to the US for tourism not to have a baby. Look like some can get away with it and some not. Thought they got to be things which trigger them search a little deeper.

Regards
Re: Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview by dancewith: 11:48am On Mar 05, 2012
nowayone:

Hi

Tks for your reply. Actually, I am travelling alone, however there is a spot on the application where I am asked if I have children and their names. That is where I wonder if I should put his name or leave blank to avoid having them dig about the child his age, where he is born and making connections with my 3 months stay in the US. Next time, if there is any, I will make sure I pay the bills although, I know someone which was denied the visa despite having paid the bills. She was told she disclosed she would go to the US for tourism not to have a baby. Look like some can get away with it and some not. Thought they got to be things which trigger them search a little deeper.

Regards

You are right. It is entirely at the discretion of the visa officer to issue the visa to someone that had an anchor baby with a visitor's visa. Although having a baby in the US is not a crime under the US immigration laws, the VO can consider that the applicant didn't mention she was using the visa for medical purposes during the interview. Usually they consider the time lag from visa issuance to when the child was delivered. if you got the visa in January and had the baby next year July, this can be seen to mean you were not pregnant at the time the visa was issued so the intent was not deceptional. But if they issue you with a visa in January and you had a baby with it the same year, say July, then they can use the deception rule against you.

Often those that have problem are those with conditional visa (annotation). Holders of full validity visa of 2years backed with payment receipts often get their visa re issued.
Re: Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview by anfanio: 2:37pm On Mar 05, 2012
nowayone:

Dear All

What year did you have your child and when did you return to Nigeria?
Did you have your child endorsed on your passport or a Nigerian visa for the child?
Re: Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview by tpia5: 2:39pm On Mar 05, 2012
a family friend used medicaid for a child's birth in 2000, went for renewal in 2001 and was refused. Two subsequent applications were turned down but they finally got a new visa in 2008. I do not know if there is a time ban but eventually you will get the visa if you keep applying.

yes, just keep applying.
Re: Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview by nowayone: 3:03pm On Mar 05, 2012
Hey

I had the kid last year and took a nigerian visa on his new US passport. I return a month after he was born. SO not sure If they can track him down if I do not mention him/name in the application.

Tks Tpia for conforting me. I have some plans of going for studies there next year, but look like i should not set high expectations

Tks all the guys/gals for taking time to share
Re: Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview by anfanio: 3:35pm On Mar 05, 2012
nowayone:

Hey

I had the kid last year and took a nigerian visa on his new US passport. I return a month after he was born. SO not sure If they can track him down if I do not mention him/name in the application.

Tks Tpia for conforting me. I have some plans of going for studies there next year, but look like i should not set high expectations

Tks all the guys/gals for taking time to share

A simple search will show everything. Apply, and be sincere in your answers, if you try to be deceptive it becomes more difficult. I believe your chances are still good.
Re: Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview by Mavor: 8:44pm On Mar 05, 2012
Just tell the truth. Das all.
Re: Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview by izoneb(f): 2:05am On May 18, 2012
HI PEEPS!I NEED GOOD ADVICE ON THIS IN MY CASE I HAD THE BABY IN 2004,USED MEDICAID AND WAS REFUSED TWICE IN 2005 BECAUSE THE FIRST TIME I LIED ABOUT HAVING A BABY IN THE US AND WAS DENIED.THE 2ND TIME THE VO DIDNT ASK ANY QUESTIONSHE JUST LOOKED AT THE SYSTEM AND SAID 'SORRY YOU ARE NOT QUALIFIED'.SINCE THEN I HAVENT TRIED AGAIN.MY PROBLEM NOW IS THAT I WISH TO APPLY AGAIN BUT I HAVE HEARD ABOUT PPLE PAYING BACK MEDICAIDI WISH TO PAY BACK BUT DO NO KNOW HOW.DOES SOMEONE KNOW HOW I CAN POSSIBLY SORT THIS OUT?OR IF I SHOULD TRY TO RE-APPLY[left][/left]?
Re: Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview by selenium83: 8:14pm On Aug 08, 2012
nowayone please tell how the interview went i am going through the same situation and your guidance will be helpfull
Re: Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview by love30: 4:01pm On Aug 17, 2012
woah, i thou i was alone, so happy to see this post.

am going through the same problem, i had my baby last year and told them in the hospital i was self paying. i keep calling for my bills after delivery and when i received it, i went to the billing office to make payment and negociate. it was there i was told insurance has taken care of it. i said i was not entitled to it and was only advised by the social worker that my child is entitled to it......guess i signed something i was not aware of.

Now i've been calling and trying to pay my bill......the bills that came in bits to me first before the insurance company paid, i've been able to pay those.

i've even called the Department of Health office in the state and they refer me to the case worker in the hospital.

since am back in Nigeria, it has been difficult following up with phone calls, i intend returning to the states alone and sorting this out.

from my research so far, it looks like i would be needing a lawyer.

Anyone in this situation, on how to pay back medicaid, should plese help.
Re: Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview by Tstark(m): 8:19pm On Aug 17, 2012
^^^
Just keep your receipts, u should be ok.
Re: Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview by nonoma: 11:38pm On Sep 13, 2012
I am in the same situation oooo
Please send us advice..
thank you

am going through the same problem, i had my baby last year and told them in the hospital i was self paying. i keep calling for my bills after delivery and when i received it, i went to the billing office to make payment and negociate. it was there i was told insurance has taken care of it. i said i was not entitled to it and was only advised by the social worker that my child is entitled to it......guess i signed something i was not aware of.

Now i've been calling and trying to pay my bill......the bills that came in bits to me first before the insurance company paid, i've been able to pay those.

i've even called the Department of Health office in the state and they refer me to the case worker in the hospital.

since am back in Nigeria, it has been difficult following up with phone calls, i intend returning to the states alone and sorting this out.

Anyone in this situation, on how to pay back medicaid, should plese help.[/quote]
Re: Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview by nonoma: 11:39pm On Sep 13, 2012
I am in the same situation oooo
Please send us advice..
thank you

Anyone in this situation, on how to pay back medicaid, should plese help.[/quote]
Re: Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview by somebody(f): 9:11pm On Sep 15, 2012
This is really simple - apart from nonoma, you women abused the system and swindled the US government. I can bet you go to church and claim 'bornagain' yet you have no conscience. Typical Nigerian attitude! Y'all only worried now that you need to renew your visas. I hope valuable lessons have been learnt - there is nothing hidden under the sun and I truly hope your visas are not renewed!

The humane part of me will also tell you that if the form asks for child details then you better put it. If it doesn't, don't mention anything about travelling with the child even if you are. At this point, I would have added take ALL your receipts but you have none. My friend was refused for not bringing receipts and she actually paid in FULL.

5 Likes

Re: Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview by justwise(m): 7:22am On Sep 16, 2012
somebody: This is really simple - apart from nonoma, you women abused the system and swindled the US government. I can bet you go to church and claim 'bornagain' yet you have no conscience. Typical Nigerian attitude! Y'all only worried now that you need to renew your visas. I hope valuable lessons have been learnt - there is nothing hidden under the sun and I truly hope your visas are not renewed!

The humane part of me will also tell you that if the form asks for child details then you better put it. If it doesn't, don't mention anything about travelling with the child even if you are. At this point, I would have added take ALL your receipts but you have none. My friend was refused for not bringing receipts and she actually paid in FULL.

100 likes!
Re: Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview by love30: 4:32pm On Oct 05, 2012
somebody: This is really simple - apart from nonoma, you women abused the system and swindled the US government. I can bet you go to church and claim 'bornagain' yet you have no conscience. Typical Nigerian attitude! Y'all only worried now that you need to renew your visas. I hope valuable lessons have been learnt - there is nothing hidden under the sun and I truly hope your visas are not renewed!

Hello Somebody, i think you were referring to me not nonoma as she quoted my write-up. Like i stated earlier i do have some receipts as i paid for some bills before insurance paid. I also do have some forms i signed at the hospital saying am self-payer and mail exchange between the hospital and social worker of what would have gone wrong that the insurance paid. Lastly i will still make a trip to the states and visit the department that treated this to give me all documents i can get my hands on. until then am just going to take my mind off this as it has stressed me out so much.
Re: Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview by chaperon88: 5:35am On Apr 26, 2013
I just had my baby in Chicago and need to get her visa to enter Nigeria, ps advise. How also do I apply for her social security number
Re: Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview by hbid: 5:00pm On Jun 12, 2013
nonoma:

Anyone in this situation, on how to pay back medicaid, should plese help.

Send someone to the billing department at the hospital where you had your baby. The billing department can reverse all the medicaid payments on your patient account, enabling you to make the full payments as a private patient. Get them to write you a cover letter in addition to the receipts, stating that you made full private payment for your baby delivery.
Re: Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview by Love300: 2:46pm On Jun 25, 2013
Hello Hbid,

Your advise is so correct as i found out.

I was waiting for an appointment to meet a lawyer when i got into a conversation with the receptionist and she told me i did not need a lawyer as i just had to go to the billing office.

I've gone to the billing office and they did reimburse medicaid and i also got a letter from the hospital too saying i made payment and i have no outstanding on my patient account.

But the doctor's bill and the epidural bill is still outstanding as they said they can't reimburse medicaid.

When i intend renewing my visa, i will just take all i have which is almost USD9K in paid bills.
Re: Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview by Love300: 8:39am On Jul 09, 2013
Got my visa renewed and was not asked about my baby

2 Likes

Re: Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jul 09, 2013
Love300: Got my visa renewed and was not asked about my baby

Congratulations! That was pure luck.
Re: Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview by tobiojo2002: 10:30pm On Aug 15, 2013
Love300: Got my visa renewed and was not asked about my baby

Please i"d like to know if you paid for both urself and ur baby or u paid only for urself, cos i'm about to have a baby in NY and the financial counselor actually said i was to settle just my bill and not my baby's, she also said i would not be turned back for applying for medic aid for a US citizen, i need to be extra sure, i dont mind picking up my baby;s bills ,
Re: Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview by aniffy4eva(m): 1:26pm On Aug 16, 2013
tobiojo2002:
Please i"d like to know if you paid for both urself and ur baby or u paid only for urself, cos i'm about to have a baby in NY and the financial counselor actually said i was to settle just my bill and not my baby's, she also said i would not be turned back for applying for medic aid for a US citizen, i need to be extra sure, i dont mind picking up my baby;s bills ,

Please pay BOTH bills. Don't apply for medic aid for your baby.
Re: Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview by Love300: 2:57pm On Aug 16, 2013
Pay for both bills. That's just the sensible thing to do.

The baby bill is very little like less than 10% of you own bill if there is no complications.
Re: Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview by zahre: 2:48am On Sep 21, 2013
Hello i also would like help in this situation someone mentioned that i can eimburse medicaid is that possible..? I have not traveled back to the usa since giving birth this year.. I still Have our more years on my visa and would like to clear This situation up as fast as i could.. plz can Someone offer me advice As To payying my own bill.
Re: Disclosing A Us Born Child During The Us Visa Interview by zahre: 7:49am On Sep 21, 2013
tobiojo2002:

My child has medicaid and his bill and mines has lready been paid however i would like to ay my own Bill..
zahre: Hello i also would like help in this situation someone mentioned that i can eimburse medicaid is that possible..? I have not traveled back to the usa since giving birth this year.. I still Have our more years on my visa and would like to clear This situation up as fast as i could.. plz can Someone offer me advice As To payying my own bill.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Golf Falls Off From Bridge In Bauchi State, Kills 2 People (Photos) / Debris Found From F-35 Jet In South Carolina After US Pilot Ejected / Young Man Dies In Auto Crash 4 Days After Announcing His Admission Into UNIPORT

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.