Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,238 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:26 AM

Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? (20744 Views)

Oil Producing states In Nigeria - The Facts and Figures / Five Top Fastest Developing States In Nigeria That Are Undisputable / The List Of New States To Be Created In Nigeria Approved By The CONFAB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by Ogbodavies(m): 4:11pm On Mar 06, 2012
We need new countries not states
Eastern nigeria or biafra
Western nigeria or odua
Northern nigeria or boko h
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by Afam4eva(m): 4:21pm On Mar 06, 2012
Nayah:

LOL I'm okay too bro so what do you think about this "new states" topic

Everybody wants a new state created in their domain because a new state means new allocations. I don't know anywhere in the world where the number of states and local governments will determine the allocation. That's why we've been clamoring for more states in the east because we've been . The FG has been creating states based on land mass and not population.
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by GboyegaD(m): 4:28pm On Mar 06, 2012
Demdem:

No we dont. Instead all states should be scrapped and lets have regional government that controls their various resources as it was during the first repulblic.

You are right on point. It only tells that most people in government are led by their greed. The states are getting worse off and instead of think of how to improve things they are more concerned about creating of states and more allocation to be embezzled. An oil rich Nigeria being managed by borrowed funds is not their concern thus, the house never see anything bad with Jonathan continuous borrowing of funds.
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by Nayah(f): 4:28pm On Mar 06, 2012
afam4eva:

Everybody wants a new state created in their domain because a new state means new allocations. I don't know anywhere in the world where the number of states and local governments will determine the allocation. That's why we've been clamoring for more states in the east because we've been . The FG has been creating states based on land mass and not population.
Now I got it bro
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by cycline404(m): 4:31pm On Mar 06, 2012
We already have awaiting governors for yet to be created states,
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by bittyend(m): 4:35pm On Mar 06, 2012
We don't need more states - what we need is just 6regions and boundary adjustments based on ethnicity. The new Western region should include yoruba speaking areas of Kwara, Kogi, niger and the Itshekiri people.
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by Demdem(m): 4:38pm On Mar 06, 2012
Nayah:

Now I got it bro

Beware of what goes into ur system. Sieve it well before digesting.
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by Nayah(f): 4:40pm On Mar 06, 2012
Demdem, don't worry I'm a strong lady wink
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by kokoA(m): 5:27pm On Mar 06, 2012
The whole south east should be combined into one state.
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by Okijajuju1(m): 6:13pm On Mar 06, 2012
The Igbos are clamouring for more states. . . Look at their land mass on that map. . With 5 states under that small space, only two of the Five Igbo states are actually economically viable. . . . Look at the North. . . All landmass filled with more Namas than Humans. . . Yet all of them put togerther dont contribute up to one Niger delta state. . . Now the Yoruba's, After Lagos, which other place entity there deserves to be called a state?! Ibadan is a museum, Ekiti is living on welfare, Ondo/Ogun is accomodating the spill over from Lagos. .

All these non productive states all feeding off of that little portion down south. . . And you want more states!! Bleep state creation. . . All man for himself. . Full resource control. . . Ka anyi malu onye bu onye. . angry

1 Like

Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by dustydee: 6:31pm On Mar 06, 2012
36 have failed no need for more.
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by GAR3TH(m): 7:04pm On Mar 06, 2012
The federal government receive ~50% of oil revenues, LGAs receive ~25% and States receive 25% of the oil revenue. So instead of 36 states sharing the 25% of oil revenues, 50 or so states will now be sharing the allocations. In other words creation of more states means a large decrease in the allocation budgets of current states. Mind you that many of nigeria's states only survive based on allocation, with out that, many will collapse.

Second, creation of more states will lead to an increase in recurrent expenditures. If state x earning N6 billion a month and the requirement to run a state is N2 billion on recurrent expenditures (salaries) it means that states spends 33% of its budget on recurrent expenditures. But for some dumb reason someone decided to split state x into two and create state x and state y. so, since money does not grow on trees both state x and state y have to split the N6 billion allocation, which means each state now earns N3 billion a month in allocation. Now remember it cost N2 billion to run a state, so both state x and state y now have to spend N2 billion of their N3 billion month budget (66%) on recurrent expenditures.

Third, The states that we currently have can not even sustain themselves so why are some even talking about more state creation. People need to get over this primitive thinking of ethnical run states, this fiction of their village become a state and stop the use of the fictional nigerian word called marginalization. No one in nigeria is marginalized, from federal, state and local. every group and every body has political representative that represents their area in government. If you are indeed marginalized then its your own people, your own politicians, your own ethnic group that are marginalizing you, you have no one else to blame.

Fourth, we need to reduce the number of state to empower the local government. It is the local government that will have the closest impact to your life and the development of your community. The more states we create the more we weaken our local governments. With that said the mere number of LGAs, 774, is the main reason why the LGAs are so weak. In my opinion, its more important to reduce the number of LGAs than the number of states. Though both are very important.
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by doofanc: 7:08pm On Mar 06, 2012
babaowo:

This ppl can never be serious @all upon all that happening in the country Why can't they add BOKO HARAM state for bombers.

lol! @ bolded. Come to think of it, i think its actually one of their demands.
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by naptu2: 7:10pm On Mar 06, 2012
@ Gareth: Absolutely correct. The problem is that there are many lightweight politicians who have ambitions of being governors. They cannot achieve this unless they carve out a small empire for themselves (state creation). In order to create these states, they peddle this propaganda of marginalisation, development, them against us, etc. Nigerians being very emotional people swallow this propaganda hook line and sinker.
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by juyifloss(m): 7:52pm On Mar 06, 2012
effects:
I think creating more states will bring the Govt closer to the Masses, this also brings about development.

Nawa 4 u ooooo
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by femmy2010(m): 8:26pm On Mar 06, 2012
We sure do not need any new state for now.
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by jumobi1(m): 8:47pm On Mar 06, 2012
The South East deserves one more state based on the current state structure we have.
However, the best idea is to have six state. Imagine Six state, 36 senators, 108 Reps, This would severely save Nigeria money from stealing and salaries.
There would no longer be need to have 40 ministers due to federal character. They should also cut down the number of local government areas.
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by Jomiliny(m): 9:29pm On Mar 06, 2012
No we dont need it at all cos we ave not manage the 36states we have.
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by Ngodigha1(m): 10:52pm On Mar 06, 2012
The only state Nigeria needs is Anioma. Not because am from Anioma, but to give Ndigbo one more state for parity with other regions.
Long live Anioma.
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by agiboma(f): 4:46am On Mar 07, 2012
femmy2010:

We sure do not need any new state for now.

that's what i am saying
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by emron1(m): 6:49am On Mar 07, 2012
while i don't think it is necessary to create more we must admit that the current states structure is living some groups marginalized for instance in delta and crossriver states the anioma and ogoja regions have not been carried along respectively in the development of their respective states.and then other states also suffer from what i call conflict of ideologies like in kaduna where you have one region predominantly christian and the other predominantly muslim. So my suggestion would be either the creation of more states based on realistic factors or proper restructuring of the current state structure.
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by ige101(m): 7:23am On Mar 07, 2012
the question we should ask ourselves is,what will all these proposed state depend on for their governance? the oil wealth?.hum, i pity our nation
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by Enice(m): 11:59am On Mar 07, 2012
We don't need states in Nigeria. What we need are regions, LGAs, and a parliamentary system of govt.
Re: Do We Need New States In Nigeria ? by tpia5: 12:03am On Mar 13, 2013
Claus: States actually need to be combined, ie, the number of states needs to reduce. A major problem in Nigeria is the cost of governance. With each state comes a governor, deputy governor, commissioners and hundreds of special assistants/advisers many of whom add no value.

Governance in Nigeria is all about chopping. That's why some people clamour for more states so that their own turn to chop can come around quicker.

Getting development to the people can be accomplished by reforming all levels of government, especially the local governments, not by creating even more states.

hmm, valid points.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Governor Okorocha Congratulates Buhari / Ikpeazu Presents N96.7bn 2016 Budget / President Buhari Celebrates His 75th Birthday In Aso Rock (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.