Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,094 members, 7,825,453 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:06 PM

What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? (3882 Views)

"I Have Never Collected Bribe In My Life" - Rotimi Amaechi / INEC Releases Statistics Of PVC Collected In All 36 States And FCT / Pvc Card Vin Numbers Is Been Collected In Awka Anambra State Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? by egift(m): 1:13am On Mar 19, 2012
Generally, I support individuals paying tax. But when I consider some of the things that keep happening to the money collected as tax and other form of revenues, I keep wondering if its a good idea to continue paying tax in Nigeria.

Can you state some of the possible things that happens to the money we pay as tax in Nigeria?
Re: What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? by egift(m): 1:14am On Mar 19, 2012
A politician may just decide to buy his girl-friend a new car with your tax money.
Re: What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:19am On Mar 19, 2012
Na wafor Nigeria govt
Re: What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:29am On Mar 19, 2012
@OP
have you seen the kind of salary that these criminals in Gov. receive? i guess thats where tax money goes.
Re: What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? by Knorkastur: 2:02am On Mar 19, 2012
Re: What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 2:07am On Mar 19, 2012
Lol
Re: What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? by KayDee4: 2:22am On Mar 19, 2012
Probably for building and maintaining basic infrastructure (roads, provide health care, and all . . . . etc, etc ) and paying public officers like yellow fever LASTMA and policemen (who eventually beat you up). That's what it should be @ least, but in Naija, nothing is properly accounted for, so the story might be totally different.
Re: What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:22am On Mar 19, 2012
Just did a quick google search for tax receipts for 2011, and came up with 4.6 Trillion Naira shocked. Also did another one for customs receipts for 2011, and came up with 602 Billion Naira shocked.

Add both figures together and you get about $35 Billion Dollars shocked shocked shocked.

This doesn't include receipts from 'oyel' and other sources.

Pray, can someone tell me what we did with all that money seeing as 2012 budget is only about 4.8 Trillion Naira. Or am i missing something undecided?

The mind boggles walahi shocked
Re: What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? by Henry40: 2:25am On Mar 19, 2012
It depends. Taxes are grouped under Federal, State, and {perhaps} Local Governments {depending on whose jurisdiction the subject of taxation lies, amongst few other factors}. Income tax is probably the most common state tax and company tax is probably the most common Federal Tax. If you reside in a state like Lagos, chances are a significant proportion of your tax is put to good use. I won't advice anyone to pay company tax. Besides the fact that it's hardly ever enforced {because the oil wells haven't dried up, so the Feds don't have much need for your money}, it makes no sense giving your hard-earned money to those gluttons in Abuja who're probably receiving much more than you without the "Hard."
Re: What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? by kombats: 2:49am On Mar 19, 2012
e dey enta voice mail

1 Like

Re: What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? by Pakavy(m): 3:07am On Mar 19, 2012
kombats: e dey enta voice mail
or call divert!!!
Re: What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? by bakila: 3:29am On Mar 19, 2012
Pakavy: or call divert!!!

into private pockets. I recall the case of over 356million paid into the account of a state board of Internal revenue and through various private withdrawals only 32 THOUSAND NAIRA was left.
Re: What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? by jjjkkkooo: 3:32am On Mar 19, 2012
I think dis discussion shld not be laughed. I hv always asked d question in my heart. N4.6Tr from Tax. Yet budget is 4.8Tr. We need to ask d Minister of Finance for explanations.
Re: What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? by Henry40: 3:32am On Mar 19, 2012
bakila:

into private pockets. I recall the case of over 356million paid into the account of a state board of Internal revenue and through various private withdrawals only 32 THOUSAND NAIRA was left.

There does exist the phrase "Private Contractors."
Re: What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:35am On Mar 19, 2012
what kind of question is dis ?.
Re: What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? by swing4real(m): 3:53am On Mar 19, 2012
You come 9ja new abi u no dey live 4 9ja? Na which one come be tax collected again? grin Nigeria is a free tax country grin
Re: What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? by klas(m): 4:15am On Mar 19, 2012
jjjkkkooo: I think dis discussion shld not be laughed. I hv always asked d question in my heart. N4.6Tr from Tax. Yet budget is 4.8Tr. We need to ask d Minister of Finance for explanations.

The tax you pay on your personal and non-registered business income goes to the state of your residence wholly. The tax paid by the registered limited liability companies goes to the federation account from where it is shared by all tiers of government in accordance with revenue allocation formula just like oil money.

You have set the taxes collected nationwide from companies and custom duties all of which are payable to federation account for sharing between federal, states and local goverments against the federal budget only
Re: What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? by olayinka1987: 5:03am On Mar 19, 2012
A bunch of greedy Northerners buy themselves new houses and expensive cars for their wives/girlfriends. That's what happens.

1 Like

Re: What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? by member479760: 5:37am On Mar 19, 2012
IRS must be very rich in this country, minister of money na dumbass!
Re: What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? by udochika(m): 6:37am On Mar 19, 2012
IFA is your friend, ask him.
Re: What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? by egift(m): 6:47am On Mar 19, 2012
When you pay that your tax, it will help enable National Assembly approve additional N38.8bn jumbo allowance for members.
Re: What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? by adonisgold: 7:15am On Mar 19, 2012
3strike: what kind of question is dis ?.
what kind of question are u asking?
Re: What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? by greall1: 7:33am On Mar 19, 2012
it"s good to pay tax but Our tax always embezzle in Nigeria
Re: What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? by Enice(m): 7:53am On Mar 19, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:
Just did a quick google search for tax receipts for 2011, and came up with 4.6 Trillion Naira shocked. Also did another one for customs receipts for 2011, and came up with 602 Billion Naira shocked.

Add both figures together and you get about $35 Billion Dollars shocked shocked shocked.

This doesn't include receipts from 'oyel' and other sources.

Pray, can someone tell me what we did with all that money seeing as 2012 budget is only about 4.8 Trillion Naira. Or am i missing something undecided?

The mind boggles walahi shocked
haba! you no go school? Custom duty is a part of tax receipt.
Re: What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? by Enice(m): 8:13am On Mar 19, 2012
jjjkkkooo: I think dis discussion shld not be laughed. I hv always asked d question in my heart. N4.6Tr from Tax. Yet budget is 4.8Tr. We need to ask d Minister of Finance for explanations.
mr man, our tax receipt does not amount to 4.6T. The total revenue accruing to the federation account (oil sales plus tax like VAT, duty, royalties, etc) is shared by the RMAFC according to an agreed proportion by the federal, state and local govt. The share of the FG is what you call federal budget. Mind you, the LGA's collect rents, states collects income tax, while the FG collects corporate tax. So your tax as an individual does not get to the FG.
Re: What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? by Ibangap(m): 8:35am On Mar 19, 2012
egift: When you pay that your tax, it will help enable National Assembly approve additional N38.8bn jumbo allowance for members.
Gbam grin
Re: What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? by Abujabir24: 9:19am On Mar 19, 2012
olayinka1987: A bunch of greedy Northerners buy themselves new houses and expensive cars for their wives/girlfriends. That's what happens.
Are the northerners the only ones spending the money? What about the southerners?

1 Like

Re: What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? by babs4president: 9:55am On Mar 19, 2012
mr man, our tax receipt does not amount to 4.6T. The
total revenue accruing to the federation account (oil
sales plus tax like VAT, duty, royalties, etc) is shared by
the RMAFC according to an agreed proportion by the
federal, state and local govt. The share of the FG is
what you call federal budget. Mind you, the LGA's collect
rents, states collects income tax, while the FG collects
corporate tax. So your tax as an individual does not get to
the FG.. Even at dat it is necesry dat a topical n debate issue like dis shuldnt b laughed at because we must find a way of fitin coruption n registerin our displeasure
Re: What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? by Enice(m): 10:01am On Mar 19, 2012
babs4president: mr man, our tax receipt does not amount to 4.6T. The
total revenue accruing to the federation account (oil
sales plus tax like VAT, duty, royalties, etc) is shared by
the RMAFC according to an agreed proportion by the
federal, state and local govt. The share of the FG is
what you call federal budget. Mind you, the LGA's collect
rents, states collects income tax, while the FG collects
corporate tax. So your tax as an individual does not get to
the FG.. Even at dat it is necesry dat a topical n debate issue like dis shuldnt b laughed at because we must find a way of fitin coruption n registerin our displeasure
then, start with your LGA
Re: What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? by jidewin(m): 6:10pm On Mar 19, 2012
The tax goes straight into the CORRUPT NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS private accounts "local and Domiciliary" for their spending and while they toss just a few here and there when election and re-election campaign is at hand.
Re: What Happens To The Tax Collected In Nigeria? by BUSHMAN1: 7:01pm On Mar 19, 2012
grin grin grin grin grin grin in swiss bank of switzerland

(1) (2) (Reply)

Alhaji Atiku Abubakar Can Still Become President Of Nigeria / Akpabio Flops On Focus Nigeria / More Pictorial Confirmation Of APC Shameless Act That Land Inec Official into tr

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.