Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,806 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:47 AM

Do White People Pay Bride Price? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Do White People Pay Bride Price? (9646 Views)

Hotel Where People Pay To Have Sex With Animals Busted By Police / Breaking News: Igbo Parents Urged To Reduce Pride Price. / If Virginity Is The Pride Of A Lady, What Is A Guy's Pride? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do White People Pay Bride Price? by stepo707: 11:37am On Mar 22, 2012
Hardunnii:
Thank you, nigerians should stop using white as benchmark, they have their thing, we have ours

What a remarkable lady! smiley
Re: Do White People Pay Bride Price? by dabrake(m): 11:40am On Mar 22, 2012
Hardunnii: Why not embrace your culture and stop looking up to the white for approval
in our culture, we do not kneel down to propose to a girl. We walk straght to your father and his YES is final. In our culture, the more male children you have, the more respect you are given. In our culture, you wouldn't ever dream of attempting gender equality. . . You girls derive pleasure from using argument(s) to satisfy your greedy selves. If you want to be an African, be 100% African!
Re: Do White People Pay Bride Price? by Hardunnii(f): 11:45am On Mar 22, 2012
^^^^ did i ever claim otherwise?
Re: Do White People Pay Bride Price? by no1madman(m): 1:29pm On Mar 22, 2012
I don't like bride price. . .i no go pay.
Re: Do White People Pay Bride Price? by luckgames(m): 2:32pm On Mar 22, 2012
Serpentine: We don't pay bride price in the UK. In the past, the bride used to have a dowery she took to her marriage, this was money and goods from her parents to her husband. If the marriage didn't go ahead or the couple split up, it was expected that the dowery was returned to her parents.

In more recent centuries, the tradition has been that the man presents the bride with a diamond ring on proposing, which should represent approx. 3 months of his income. Traditionally, the bride's parents paid for the wedding, but nowadays, it is more common for the costs to be split among the couple and their families. Most white women here in the UK would be horified at the idea of their father selling her to a husband as it implies she is property.

3 months income = 20% of yearly income
If you make about 80K to 100k a year so you need about 16k to 20k Ring
I think it about getting something nice,
don't go break the bank
In Nigeria the women are not sold to the husband
I am sure in UK you have lot of Indians
Are the men sold to the women?
Re: Do White People Pay Bride Price? by Dipwater(m): 2:48pm On Mar 22, 2012
Hardunnii:
Thank you, nigerians should stop using white as benchmark, they have their thing, we have ours
Pls wats our thng
Re: Do White People Pay Bride Price? by LordReed(m): 4:21pm On Mar 22, 2012
The problem with us Africans is that we find it hard to evolve our cultures and traditions. The Europeans in time past had "bride price" called a dowry practiced in different forms however today they have evolved that aspect of their culture to meet the reality of the times.

We seriously need to bring African culture and tradition into the 21st century. I enjoy the traditional rites of marriage but sometimes the wahala is way too much for the economic realities on ground.
Re: Do White People Pay Bride Price? by Hardunnii(f): 4:43pm On Mar 22, 2012
Dipwater:
Pls wats our thng
Culture
Re: Do White People Pay Bride Price? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Mar 22, 2012
I am 100% in support of bride price paying, cos thats the only thing the parents benefits from training the slave for us...lolz. so if u must marry, and wnt to marry, pay a good bride price, by the way, can it be more than 1million naira? I doubt. The problem is not even the bride price, but the slave you are buying, does it worth the price you are asked to pay? will the slave be humble, good mannered and homely and not turn your home into a german-russian frontiers? If the slave worths it, pay and take it home to start her duties immediately! Lolzz....
Re: Do White People Pay Bride Price? by Hardunnii(f): 5:26pm On Mar 22, 2012
jobfront: I am 100% in support of bride price paying, cos thats the only thing the parents benefits from training the slave for us...lolz. so if u must marry, and wnt to marry, pay a good bride price, by the way, can it be more than 1million naira? I doubt. The problem is not even the bride price, but the slave you are buying, does it worth the price you are asked to pay? will the slave be humble, good mannered and homely and not turn your home into a german-russian frontiers? If the slave worths it, pay and take it home to start her duties immediately! Lolzz....
Smh
Re: Do White People Pay Bride Price? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Mar 22, 2012
They don't pay bride price, but the ring that some of them buy can buy a whole country in Africa. Ok I am exaggerating but they do buy there lovers expensive rings, and some of em have lavish wedding ceremony. If i CAN HAVE THAt, AND A HUSBAND THAT LOVES ME, WETIE CONCERN ME WITH 10 COWS, AND CHICKEN CHANGE? cheesy
Re: Do White People Pay Bride Price? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Mar 22, 2012
Its only some few celebrity whites that throw extravagant wedding, most prefer family wedding with parents, siblings and a priest inside one ancient church, ask around if you doubt. Nigerian men even after being asked to pay bride price, still go ahead to buy expensive rings for the bride okay? they do, but depends on the groom's financial power though, but all men nowadays strive to buy quality rings even if they don't have much. now you can see that Nigerian men buy wives? he pays her bride price, throws a traditional wedding, which seems compulsory too, especially in the eastern Nigeria, he is also required to throw a big white wedding, why can't we just take one? must we do two weddings?
Re: Do White People Pay Bride Price? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Mar 22, 2012
Why should I aked [/b]
jobfront: Its only some few celebrity whites that throw extravagant wedding, most prefer family wedding with parents, siblings and a priest inside one ancient church, ask around if you doubt. Nigerian men even after being asked to pay bride price, still go ahead to buy expensive rings for the bride okay? they do, but depends on the groom's financial power though, but all men nowadays strive to buy quality rings even if they don't have much. now you can see that Nigerian men buy wives? he pays her bride price, throws a traditional wedding, which seems compulsory too, especially in the eastern Nigeria, he is also required to throw a big white wedding, why can't we just take one? must we do two weddings?

I have personally been to some of their weddings, and the ones i HAVE BEEN TO HAVE BEEN NOTHING SORT OF PERFECT.
Re: Do White People Pay Bride Price? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Mar 22, 2012
Are u saying that all white people throw a banquet wedding? I doubt dearie...its a few.
Re: Do White People Pay Bride Price? by Nobody: 5:51pm On Mar 22, 2012
jobfront: Are u saying that all white people throw a banquet wedding? I doubt dearie...its a few.
Read my first post, I used the word "some"

Some of them can not even afford a wedding how can they throw lavish one?
Re: Do White People Pay Bride Price? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Mar 22, 2012
Ok, ok...but in Nigerian scenario that we are discussing here, we are talking about something compulsory before you get a legal hold of someone u call a wife, WE ARE TALKING ABOUT BRIDE PRICE!! aside the big wedding required of you to throw again, this time by the person u call wife, and maybe traditional marriage too...is it justifiable ma'am?
Re: Do White People Pay Bride Price? by psyisback: 4:44am On Jul 18, 2017
Killz3:
Americans have their own culture, so do the Europeans, so what the heck exactly is the aim of this thread? What do you mean do white people pay bride price? How much is the bride price that you are stabbing yourself all over with many pains? undecided

People get time to dey argue meaninglessness. . .Smh!

You talk like u wear wrapper and move around bare footed, you talk like the phone u r using was made by your black ancestors, you talk like ur grand mother fit wear g string, Look my friend this is civilization! Now listen we have copied the white men life style for long to be stuck with some dirty cultures, as far as am concerned paying a bride price means u are buying the person which means welcome to slavery, my dad took 130 naira only for my sister bride price because he was forced to n that 130 naira is wit him till he goes to his grave.. Any man requesting for a fortune for his daughter bride price is a shame to him self! In 50 years to come only the locals will be indulge in this awful act. Am moving on with civilization. I saw an awful bride price list tonight that really got me pissed off!!!! They even added eye drop to clean their eyes to see u brought all the items complete d day u bring them. SMH
Re: Do White People Pay Bride Price? by psyisback: 4:49am On Jul 18, 2017
You talk like u wear wrapper and move around bare footed, you talk like the phone u r using was made by your black ancestors, you talk like ur grand mother fit wear g string, Look my friend this is civilization! Now listen we have copied the white men life style for long to be stuck with some dirty cultures, as far as am concerned paying a bride price means u are buying the person which means welcome to slavery, my dad took 130 naira only for my sister bride price because he was forced to n that 130 naira is wit him till he goes to his grave.. Any man requesting for a fortune for his daughter bride price is a shame to him self! In 50 years to come only the locals will be indulge in this awful act. Am moving on with civilization. I saw an awful bride price list tonight that really got me pissed off!!!! They even added eye drop to clean their eyes to see u brought all the items complete d day u bring them. SMH

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do Igbo Girls Behave This Way If U Fail To Marry Them After Having A Child / Photos From The “big A$$ Challenge” Trending Online / Will You Take Back Your Gifts When You Break Up?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.