Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,198 members, 7,811,522 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:40 PM

Trains Are Getting Better In Nigeria! Picture Attached - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Trains Are Getting Better In Nigeria! Picture Attached (3068 Views)

GEJ Trains are Far Better & Classy than London's First Capital Connect trains / The Trains Are Back Look: At People Enjoying Nigerian Trains / The Trains Are Back! Nigeria Is Moving Forward! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trains Are Getting Better In Nigeria! Picture Attached by lazinc(m): 5:10pm On Apr 07, 2012
Trains are getting better in Nigeria
If you have not ravelled by train in Nigeria in the last few months, you must read this piece. Also a journey from Lagos to Oshogbo by train costs NGN 510, while to Offa costs NGN 600 and to Ilorin from Lagos costs NGN 680. About 1,000 commuters on Friday had a ride in the Lagos-Ilorin Mass Transit Train Service (MTTS). The train was filled to capacity, as some of the passengers, who could not get seats, stood all the way.

Mrs Oluwadunmininu Ashaye, a mother of 4 children travelling to Ibadan, said that she was always afraid of travelling by road during festive periods, as many accidents are recorded then.

“I cannot take the risk of travelling by road with all my children at this period because it is unsafe and will even cost me more. I am paying less than N1,000 for this trip while if it were by bus, a trip from Lagos to Ibadan would cost NGN 800 per passenger and lapping may not be allowed’’, Ashaye said.

A trip by train from Lagos to Abeokuta costs N180, as against N800 by bus, while Ibadan by train is N340, as against N800 by bus and N1,500 in car.

Re: Trains Are Getting Better In Nigeria! Picture Attached by BlackPikiN(m): 5:16pm On Apr 07, 2012
I think this is new to the S-west. The train service in the SE(PH-Aba-Ovim-Enugu-Makurdi-to the north) has been running for a long time except it collapsed after I left naija.
Re: Trains Are Getting Better In Nigeria! Picture Attached by otokx(m): 5:17pm On Apr 07, 2012
^^^ and that is how many years ago?
Re: Trains Are Getting Better In Nigeria! Picture Attached by PROUDIGBO(m): 5:21pm On Apr 07, 2012
Are those cars i'm seeing parked on the platform shocked undecided?

Obviously, health and safety is an alien concept to whoever is running the railways in Nigeria. Always re-active, and not prepared to do the right thing until someone dies from otherwise predictable/preventable causes.

1 Like

Re: Trains Are Getting Better In Nigeria! Picture Attached by BlackPikiN(m): 5:23pm On Apr 07, 2012
otokx: ^^^ and that is how many years ago?
I left naija yesterday.
Re: Trains Are Getting Better In Nigeria! Picture Attached by Kobojunkie: 5:28pm On Apr 07, 2012
BlackPikiN: I think this is new to the S-west. The train service in the SE(PH-Aba-Ovim-Enugu-Makurdi-to the north) has been running for a long time except it collapsed after I left naija.

It is not new to the South West. Only that the old lines, some which were abandoned, are being restored, and new trains added to the fleet. Also some old stations that have been abandoned for so long, are being revived. Same is happening in the East, and North alike.
Re: Trains Are Getting Better In Nigeria! Picture Attached by SkyBlue1: 5:33pm On Apr 07, 2012
BlackPikiN:
I left naija yesterday.

Funny cheesy

If this has become a viable alternative then GREAT NEWS. I am a strong proponent for public transport, but would also be curious to see conditions inside the trains. There is obviously a demand so hopefully this would spur expansion - or the railway sector might just be another area crying for privatisation (with significant regulations on pricing)
Re: Trains Are Getting Better In Nigeria! Picture Attached by Beaf: 5:34pm On Apr 07, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:
Are those cars i'm seeing parked on the platform shocked undecided?

Obviously, health and safety is an alien concept to whoever is running the railways in Nigeria. Always re-active, and not prepared to do the right thing until someone dies from otherwise predictable/preventable causes.

You go fear fear for 9ja sha! grin
Its simply incredible!
Re: Trains Are Getting Better In Nigeria! Picture Attached by Beaf: 5:38pm On Apr 07, 2012
Sky Blue:

Funny cheesy

If this has become a viable alternative then GREAT NEWS. I am a strong proponent for public transport, but would also be curious to see conditions inside the trains. There is obviously a demand so hopefully this would spur expansion - or the railway sector might just be another area crying for privatisation (with significant regulations on pricing)

Not just the railways, but the inland waterways as well. Streams and rivers are like free highways that are dirt cheap to ply and require little maintainance outside of pollution control.

When our eyes fully open in Nigeria, we would be shocked about how many opportunities we left lying fallow for decades, while spiralling into avoidable poverty and chaos.
Re: Trains Are Getting Better In Nigeria! Picture Attached by maclatunji: 5:45pm On Apr 07, 2012
Beaf:

Not just the railways, but the inland waterways as well. Streams and rivers are like free highways that are dirt cheap to ply and require little maintainance outside of pollution control.

When our eyes fully open in Nigeria, we would be shocked about how many opportunities we left lying fallow for decades, while spiralling into avoidable poverty and chaos.

Except for the threat of militants and pirates. I think we should learn from the United Arab Emirates. Let foreign investors come and build the infrastructure whilst you the locals maintain security and order. It is not a difficult thing to figure out. I tire for Nigeria.
Re: Trains Are Getting Better In Nigeria! Picture Attached by Beaf: 5:55pm On Apr 07, 2012
maclatunji:

Except for the threat of militants and pirates. I think we should learn from the United Arab Emirates. Let foreign investors come and build the infrastructure whilst you the locals maintain security and order. It is not a difficult thing to figure out. I tire for Nigeria.

Foreign investors aren't needed to develop our waterways. All we need are inland ports and a well researched plan that interconnects the waterways with road, rail and air.
With a little effort, we can overcome our major transport problems and de-emphasise roads as the primary means of transporting heavy goods; the UK, for instance relied heavily on canal transport as an aid to their industrialisation. Serious thought should be given to rail and water (especially water - we are blessed with the Niger and Benue as waterway arteries to the entire country).
Re: Trains Are Getting Better In Nigeria! Picture Attached by Arosa(m): 7:19pm On Apr 07, 2012
Please post more pics. messa like this.
Re: Trains Are Getting Better In Nigeria! Picture Attached by laudate: 11:44pm On Aug 06, 2014
Please don't be fooled by the fine pictures of the diesel trains shown on our local TV stations praising GEJ’s transformation agenda for our railway lines, omo, it is a big April fool joke that is trending in August. shocked Before you start celebrating the arrival of the trains, kindly find out how long it takes them to make each successive leg of the trip from one city to the other.

Lack of adequate info is likely to ruin the whole "train" revival.

Let me share my experience: sad

On Monday the 4th of August 2014, I left Ajah area in Lekki for Iddo terminus on Lagos mainland, hoping to catch one of the executive coaches that are often shown as part of GEJ's transformation agenda which ply the Lagos-Otta-Abeokuta route, as I had an appointment with a client for 3pm.

I had searched on the internet to see if I could get the phone number of the NRC train station or the train schedules, but there was no relevant information on what I wanted. So I got to the Iddo station at 12:30pm.

I was directed to a small cubicle marked “INFORMATION”, where I met a female staff.

Me: Please I need to make a booking for the next train leaving for Lagos-Abeokuta. What time would it depart?

NRC Information Lady: Oh, the train going from Lagos to Abeokuta stopped running a long time agp.

Me: Ok, what about the train from Lagos to Otta? I can take a cab from Otta to Abeokuta. undecided

NRC Information Lady: We do not have any train going from Lagos to Otta.

Me: Are you sure? I heard someone talking about going from Lagos to Otta via Ijoko just as I was coming in. Ijoko is close to Otta.

NRC Information Lady: Oh, we have a train from Lagos to Ijoko, I didn’t know that is what you meant.

Me: But Ijoko is close to Otta, now. What time does it depart? Are there executive coaches available as I want to go by first class coach which I understand, has airconditioning and good seats. I have an appointment in Abeokuta, so if I can get to ijoko Otta by train, I will get a cab from there to Abeokuta. undecided

NRC Information Lady: Well, MMT should leave at 2pm, then there is another one that leaves at 4.15pm. None of them has air-conditioning. The DMT are the only ones that have air-conditioners, good seats without attachment.

Me: What is MMT and DMT? And when do these DMTs leave?

NRC Information Lady: MMT is mass transit trains, while DMT is the Diesel Mass Transit. The DMT are the executive coaches. They leave Iddo for Otta at 7.30am and 5.30pm. cool

Me: Don’t they run during other hours of the day? Listen, I need to be in Otta to be able to catch a cab to Abeokuta.

NRC Information Lady: Ah, ah, why are you getting worked up? Just follow me to the notice board. See, (reeling out each location like a kindergarten pupil) we do not have trains to Offa, Abeokuta, Ilorin etc… If you can get to EBJ, maybe you can get a 3pm train to where you are going..

Me: (thoroughly exasperated) I am not going to Offa! Who said anything about Offa??! I asked for information about the train schedule to Otta. And why are you talking about Ilorin? And what is EBJ? shocked

NRC Information Lady: (throws her hands in the air) Han..ha! Are we fighting? I thought you said Offa, ok so you actually mean Otta! Ehm, EBJ is Ebute Metta Junction…. If you don’t know something just ask! Oya, go to the next counter and ask for the train fare!

Alright o! So I headed for the next counter…and that was when the story changed. sad

Me: Please how much is the fare to Otta?

Ticketing Officer: There is no train to Otta. undecided

Me: Ok, I hear there is a train going to Ijoko, which is not far from Otta. How much is the fare?

Ticketing Officer: Go and check on that board.

Me: But you are the ticketing officer. You should be able to tell me the fare.

Ticketing Officer: Ok, the next train leaves at 2pm. The fare is 450 naira.

Me: Has it arrived?

Ticketing Officer: Let me check. (He turns to speak to someone behind him) Oh, I learnt it just left.

Me: (aghast) What??!! shocked I have been here at the information desk for over 1 hour. Why wasn’t I told? Don’t you have loudspeakers announcing train arrivals and departures? Isn’t there a screen where departure times and arrivals of approaching trains are clearly listed? Don’t you have a direct line or help line where anyone can phone ahead to get information before arriving at the Iddo station?

Ticketing Officer: Screen? Haba! Telephone line, ke? Where? Here? There is nothing like that! I only have my own GSM. And I bought it with my own money. That is all. Ne-ee-ext passenger!!

To say I was stunned, was an understatement. In the year 2014, NRC is still being run like a yam seller's stall at Ogbete market. I weak o!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Fashola Commissions State–of–the–art E–learning Centre. (pics) Eko O Ni Baje O / FG To Try Nyako On Treasonable Felony – Tinubu. / Open MEMO To Ijaws: How Soon We Forget The Kaima Declaration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.