Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,949 members, 7,952,826 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:32 AM

Fayemi Angry With Ekiti Road Contractors - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fayemi Angry With Ekiti Road Contractors (775 Views)

11 Road Contractors Collected N4bn Without Going To Site-Senate / Fayose Commences Ado-ekiti Road Dualization / Imo State Govt Releases List Of Road Contractors, Payments & Their Phone Numbers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Fayemi Angry With Ekiti Road Contractors by Gbawe: 8:40am On Apr 10, 2012
This is what we expect Oga Gomina. Deal with errant and indolent contractor harshly. They fail, you fail. Simple as that. When the contract implicitly states the legal obligations of all parties involved, I don't know why contractors are allowed to default with impunity. Probably boils down to the notion that most leaders , via collecting a 'cut', are rendered guilty by association to the extent they cannot make too much of a fuss when contractors fail to deliver. I hope that is not the case here so that Fayemi can genuinely go after under-performing contractors as stated below. It is disappointing in the first place that , ostensibly, Ekiti is involved with several unreliable contractors.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2012/apr/09/national-09-04-2012-012.html

Fayemi angry with Ekiti road contractors
···Gives them 2-weeks ultimatum to complete projects
From CHARLES ADEGBITE, Ado-Ekiti
Monday, April 09, 2012

Worried by the slow pace of work by contractors handling road projects in Ekiti State, Governor, Kayode Fayemi has summoned the contractors and threatened to revoke the contracts if there were no significant improvement in their work within the next two weeks.

The governor, according to his Chief Press Secretary, Mr Olayinka Oyebode in a statement yesterday, said last Friday’s meeting would be the last time he would warn the contractors to justify government’s huge investment on the road contracts.

He added that though the state government had paid them upfront for the construction, the governor would not hesitate to go after the contractors and retrieve government’s money from them after revoking their contracts.
Fayemi said: “I am not here to encourage you to do my work.

This is not why I called this meeting. It is to tell you that in the next two weeks if I don’t see significant improvement I will revoke the contracts. I know you have all been paid and I don’t know anybody who knows me among you apart from Public Works Corporation

“And I am not even impressed with public works corporation which is Ekiti state-owned. You didn’t get this job on the basis of knowing Fayemi and anybody that has called you to a room to collect my own cut of your contract which is why you won’t do the work should quickly speak out now. You were mobilized.” It would be recalled that the Fayemi-led administration, had in addition to the 11 major road contracts in the state, also embarked on the construction of 5km roads in each of the 16 local government areas last year with the aim of developing not only the urban areas but also the rural areas.

The Governor, who stated that the 5km idea was not a mere symbolism as government would not accept any shoddy job from any of the contractors, said that not only government but the citizens who are the owners of the projects are monitoring progress work on the roads. Fayemi added that the vision of his administration was to ensure that at least 15 to 20 km of roads were tarred in each of the 16 council areas by 2014.

The Governor who announced that he had revoked the contract on one of the roads in Oye local government for lack of seriousness on the part of the contractor handling it. He however urged them to expedite work so that Ekiti people can reap the fruits of democracy.

Re: Fayemi Angry With Ekiti Road Contractors by jmaine: 10:01am On Apr 10, 2012
All this contractors and their penchant to elope or do a shoddy job after payment . .reminds me of the SERVETEK firm Oshiomhole had to revoke their licence due to a very poor and embarassring job they handled in benin . . .even though rumors abound that the awarded contracts had partisan inclination . . But the resolve to retrace steps and deal with them was all that matters, and it pleased everyone . . .Hope Fayemi makes good his threat in order to stem the growing image of just being there without any solid performance . . .I wish my governor well . . .
Re: Fayemi Angry With Ekiti Road Contractors by Gbawe: 10:19am On Apr 10, 2012
jmaine: All this contractors and their penchant to elope or do a shoddy job after payment . .reminds me of the SERVETEK firm Oshiomhole had to revoke their licence due to a very poor and embarassring job they handled in benin . . .even though rumors abound that the awarded contracts had partisan inclination . . But the resolve to retrace steps and deal with them was all that matters, and it pleased everyone . . .Hope Fayemi makes good his threat in order to stem the growing image of just being there without any solid performance . . .I wish my governor well . . .

I think he will - provided his hands are clean. A lot of Governors tend to moan about the indolence of contractors. Yet they do nothing because they have received their own cut while dishing out contracts partisanly. I doubt that is the case with Fayemi. He was very optimistic when payments were disbursed to contractors so I believe his disappointment here is also genuine. He should use all legal provisions available to make these lazy contractors shape up or ship out.

(1) (Reply)

Osun Signs N1.3b International Market Mou / We Are Ready To Go To War In Mali - Niger Republic / North To Build On Top Security Positions To Cling 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.