Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,009 members, 7,817,976 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:54 AM

Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala (15258 Views)

Nigeria Is Not Broke! – Okonjo-iweala Fumes / Governors Are Importing Illegal Arms With Private-Jets / Nigeria Is Going Broke - Okonjo Iweala : The Nation Newspaper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala by aljharem(m): 12:10am On Apr 14, 2012
Brixtonyute: The problem is that the Nigerian constitution is flawed! In a real federalism - the federal shouldn't be the one telling the states what they're entitled to - it should be the other way round. This clueless woman needs to shut the hell - how can you demand "fiscal federalism" - in a system, which operates everything BUT federalism - isn't that oxymoronic?

I still don't how some of these so-called "educated" managed to get beyond the four walls of a university. I think she's better off at the world bank; than taking Nigeria into abyss, with her voodoo economics.

[size=18pt]We need to cut the darn size of the government - and reduce the recurrent expenditure by at least 50% - that's what this stupid woman should be clamouring for.[/size]

Very good !!! Abeg tell this people o !!

In a country where the senator collects a total of 106 billion in a year, it shows we are trouble
Re: Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala by Beaf: 12:11am On Apr 14, 2012
Ola one:

I am tired of this woman's half-arsed explanations. She can't even have a toe-hold on the economy for G's sake.

And about fiscal federalism, Beaf, I hope you understand the FG is the no1 parasite. Your State (Delta) should be an Eldorado in a truly federal, fiscal system

Forget about my state, bro. It isn't important to the raw facts.
Dude, assume Nigeria didn't have oil. In such a situation, do you think the governors would be demanding every spare penny that the country wants to save?
Re: Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala by Brixtonyute(m): 12:12am On Apr 14, 2012
Tropilo: @kobojunkie, Brixtonyute and co: its not fair to just criticize any or all statements or actions of Madam Ngozi. Has any of you ever bothered to ask ur state governors how they spend ur money (this is d govt that is supposed to be closer to u)? This woman did not influence d subsidy remover but just because she's from d world bank many of us just assume it was her brain child and therefore hate her for it. Its not fair! As a matter of fact, it was d state governors that pressured GEJ to remove it.

This is not about the state government - it's about the kettle calling the pot black. If the country is going broke; she needs to be prudent and clamour for the downsizing of the government. She wasn't employed to monitor the states government, their actions are guided by the NIGERIAN CONSTITUTION. Most of the ministers, and special advisers are NOT meant to be there in the first place - we're broke - and 50% of them need to go.

The woman is crazy, and the only thing she has been able to achieve so far is BLAMING everyone else, but herself - and the arm of government she represents.

Phuck her!
Re: Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala by manny4life(m): 12:15am On Apr 14, 2012
In her new budget for fiscal year 2012 which was signed by the president today, recurring expense was drastically reduced, and looking at the Revised 2012 Budget Proposal, recurring expense represented 52% (though high), but was still came down from where it was previous years before. Meanwhile, the "STAT'S TRANSFER" represented about 9%, how do you want her to control something that isn't within her statutory authority?
Re: Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala by Brixtonyute(m): 12:17am On Apr 14, 2012
And the darn committees this clueless administration has been setting up since they came into power need to go. SURE and all that useless jamboree, arm chair pseudo-professionals need to go. We can't afford to keep spending the money we don't have. You don't need a Ph.D in economics to know that our recurrent expenditure is what's swallowing all the darn money...
Re: Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala by HighChief4(m): 12:17am On Apr 14, 2012
manny4life:

LOL, I don't know which you are; man or woman...lls

Unfortunately, I cannot please you... lol

He is the sore looser Okija_Mumu. Just ignore that chimp
Re: Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala by Beaf: 12:18am On Apr 14, 2012
Brixtonyute: The problem is that the Nigerian constitution is flawed! In a real federalism - the federal shouldn't be the one telling the states what they're entitled to - it should be the other way round. This clueless woman needs to shut the hell - how can you demand "fiscal federalism" - in a system, which operates everything BUT federalism - isn't that oxymoronic?

I still don't how some of these so-called "educated" managed to get beyond the four walls of a university. I think she's better off at the world bank; than taking Nigeria into abyss, with her voodoo economics.

We need to cut the darn size of the government - and reduce the recurrent expenditure by at least 50% - that's what this stupid woman should be clamouring for.

It is for you to note that the people in the highest echelons of govt believe in true federalism. It is for you to take that and run with it, the govt cannot force your legislator or senator to vote in its direction; that is your job. Go and do it, intead of expending energy in a fight to shoot yourself in the foot.

My brother, let us stand back and be wise. Nigeria is a tough place politically, always have your ear to the ground to know what is going on and what messages are being passed to you.

1 Like

Re: Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala by Brixtonyute(m): 12:24am On Apr 14, 2012
manny4life: In her new budget for fiscal year 2012 which was signed by the president today, recurring expense was drastically reduced, and looking at the Revised 2012 Budget Proposal, recurring expense represented 52% (though high), but was still came down from where it was previous years before. Meanwhile, the "STAT'S TRANSFER" represented about 9%, how do you want her to control something that isn't within her statutory authority?

You're just being disingeneous - how can she say the country is going broke when N1.32 trillion was proposed for capital expenditure while N3.429 trillion was for recurrent expenditure. The darn recurrent expenditure is three times the capital expenditure - and you think this woman has a brain?

In layman's term - we're wasting three times the money we're investing - and you guys think this woman is smart?

SHE IS USELESS!!!! GEJ IS UTLRA USELESS!!! AND PDP WILL ROAST IN HELL!!
Re: Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala by Beaf: 12:27am On Apr 14, 2012
As for me, I pray that the country goes broke and grinds to a jarring hault. The ensuing mayhem will crack open any stiffened bolts in our collective IQ and we will suddenly realise the sacredness of the maxim; "those who don't work shall not eat."

There is no reason in Gods Good Book why our states and LG's are not developed and why the average person thinks more about a drop of oil money than demanding credible, visible and quality of life enhancing development from state and LG.

I keep asking if Nigerians actually think their state govs and LG chairmen are elected only for decoration, with their sole task being to do fuckall and still get awuf from Abuja to pocket.

1 Like

Re: Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala by Brixtonyute(m): 12:30am On Apr 14, 2012
Beaf:

It is for you to note that the people in the highest echelons of govt believe in true federalism. It is for you to take that and run with it, the govt cannot force your legislator or senator to vote in its direction; that is your job. Go and do it, intead of expending energy in a fight to shoot yourself in the foot.

My brother, let us stand back and be wise. Nigeria is a tough place politically, always have your ear to the ground to know what is going on and what messages are being passed to you.

Since we don't practice federalism - then why is she hiding under fiscal federalism then?? She needs to shut up, and do her damn job. You can't preach what we don't practice - Nigerians are not as dumb as they think. That was the same way this clueless woman was arguing stupidly during the fuel subsidy debacle - it seems every time she opens her mouth, she just likes spewing utter tosh, and talking to herself. May be she needs to hear herself speak, and hear how stupid she sounds most times.

I used to rate her, but she has shown she's clueless. I wonder how she achieved everything she has achieved so far - that's still a mystery to me.
Re: Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala by manny4life(m): 12:31am On Apr 14, 2012
Brixtonyute:

You're just being disingeneous - how can she say the country is going broke when N1.32 trillion was proposed for capital expenditure while N3.429 trillion was for recurrent expenditure. The darn recurrent expenditure is three times the capital expenditure - and you think this woman has a brain?

In layman's term - we're wasting three times the money we're investing - and you guys think this woman is smart?

SHE IS USELESS!!!! GEJ IS UTLRA USELESS!!! AND PDP WILL ROAST IN HELL!!

No offense brother, but I think you're wrong on your numbers.

Capital Expenditures 1,319.00 27.77%
Recurrent (non-debt)Expense 2,472.00 52.05%
Statutory Transfer 398.00 8.38%
Debt Servicing 560.00 11.79%

Total 4,749.00 100%

The Recurring expense was 52% while stats transfer represent about 9% while a huge chunk was for debt servicing
Re: Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala by Brixtonyute(m): 12:33am On Apr 14, 2012
Beaf: As for me, I pray that the country goes broke and grinds to a jarring hault. The ensuing mayhem will crack open any stiffened bolts in our collective IQ and we will suddenly realise the sacredness of the maxim; "those who don't work shall not eat."

There is no reason in Gods Good Book why our states and LG's are not developed and why the average person thinks more about a drop of oil money than demanding credible, visible and quality of life enhancing development from state and LG.

I keep asking if Nigerians actually think their state govs and LG chairmen are elected only for decoration, with their sole task being to do fuckall and still get awuf from Abuja to pocket.

What has the federal government done? NOTHING!!

They have all failed Nigeria and Nigerians - and even if we go broke, the average Nigerian won't feel it - it means all these clueless leaders would have less to steal. Phuck all of them!!!!
Re: Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala by Kilode1: 12:34am On Apr 14, 2012
Ola One and a few others already made the point. The biggest parasite is the Nigerian FG. It is a no brainer really.

You cannot "enslave" your States by controlling almost every avenue of income generation, then accuse them of depending on you. They have to break free first, until then, it's your responsibility to feed them. Same concept apply WRT the relationship between the Government AT ALL LEVELS and the People.

It is what it is, I sympathise with NOI, she did not cause Nigeria's problems, but she can't solve it either, at least not as a hired Finance Minister with no real political power or influence.

Some problems require structural political solutions. Economics can't solve this one by itself. I firmly believe that.

1 Like

Re: Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala by Brixtonyute(m): 12:36am On Apr 14, 2012
manny4life:

No offense brother, but I think you're wrong on your numbers.

Capital Expenditures 1,319.00 27.77%
Recurrent (non-debt)Expense 2,472.00 52.05%
Statutory Transfer 398.00 8.38%
Debt Servicing 560.00 11.79%

Total 4,749.00 100%

The Recurring expense was 52% while stats transfer represent about 9% while a huge chunk was for debt servicing

The Recurrent (non-debt)Expense at 2,472.00 is still too darn much.
Re: Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala by manny4life(m): 12:37am On Apr 14, 2012
High_Chief:

He is the sore looser Okija_Mumu. Just ignore that chimp

I should have known that... sore looser calling someone else looser...lol
Re: Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala by manny4life(m): 12:39am On Apr 14, 2012
Brixtonyute:

The Recurrent (non-debt)Expense at 2,472.00 is still too darn much.

Yes it is but looking @ previous years, it was a double digit reduction.

Kilode?!:
Ola One and a few others already made the point. The biggest parasite is the Nigerian FG. It is a no brainer really.

You cannot "enslave" your States by controlling almost every avenue of income generation, then accuse them of depending on you. They have to break free first, until then, it's your responsibility to feed them. Same concept apply WRT the relationship between the Government AT ALL LEVELS and the People.

It is what it is, I sympathise with NOI, she did not cause Nigeria's problems, but she can't solve it either, at least not as a hired Finance Minister with no real political power or influence.

Some problems require structural political solutions. Economics can't solve this one by itself. I firmly believe that.

Thank man, they expect Dr. NOI to wave a magic wand and solve all the unsolvable...
Re: Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala by Kobojunkie: 12:42am On Apr 14, 2012
I wonder how many people on here have actually stated that Iweala is expected to SOLVE the problems. ** hands on chin** ** wondering***
Re: Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala by Beaf: 12:44am On Apr 14, 2012
Brixtonyute:

What has the federal government done? NOTHING!!

They have all failed Nigeria and Nigerians - and even if we go broke, the average Nigerian won't feel it - it means all these clueless leaders would have less to steal. Phuck all of them!!!!

The bolded is my exact point. If our LG's and states were not simply conduit pipes for money to divide, you wouldn't look to the FG.
It is unnatural to look to the FG for wellbeing, employment and technological progress. Those things are the duty of state govts and LG's; that is how things work in funtioning countries. Our "FG is everything" mentality is a throwback to our unfortunate past under military dictatorships; the harm to our national psyche is lasting.

If Nigeria were to break up today, the average person would be tremendously punched by the immediate collapse of the following:
1. Education.
2. Healthcare
3. Banking
4. Civil service salaries
5. Commercial flows
6. Police
7. Military
8. etc etc
Re: Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala by Brixtonyute(m): 12:48am On Apr 14, 2012
Kilode?!:

If she can't solve the problems - why did she take the job then?? You don't apply nor take a contract you can't solve - let her be honest with Nigerians, and stop playing to gallery - and on our intelligence - with words that don't make no darn sense.

The "educated" class of Nigerians are the biggest problems in Nigeria. She can't solve the problems but took the job and the money - how can any sane person even defend that If she can't solve the problems, she should resign, and stop getting paid for what she can't do.

Phucking losers!!
Re: Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala by Brixtonyute(m): 12:52am On Apr 14, 2012
I'm pissed off!! It's just a pity I'm from a country of clowns, and pseudo-educated cowards - with trailer loads of paper qualifications. When I posted this thread "Why Is Critical Thinking And Common Sense Elusive To Most 'Educated' Nigerians? https://www.nairaland.com/907737/why-critical-thinking-common-sense" a couple of weeks ago - most people thought I was looking down on Nigerians. But the comments on this thread PROVED my point.

Nigerians are PATHETIC!
Re: Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala by thegoodjoehunt(m): 12:54am On Apr 14, 2012
Investors have insisted that tariff must match cost of producing power. They will not purchase the companies, unless the government announces the new tariff, but government is scared of the backlash from the masses, if it announces the new tariff.”
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Just as the removal of subsidy was announced to allow Private foreign multinational companies come and set up Refineries in Nigeria. You think we are mumu. angry angry angry angry
Re: Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala by Brixtonyute(m): 12:59am On Apr 14, 2012
Beaf:

The bolded is my exact point. If our LG's and states were not simply conduit pipes for money to divide, you wouldn't look to the FG.
It is unnatural to look to the FG for wellbeing, employment and technological progress. Those things are the duty of state govts and LG's; that is how things work in funtioning countries. Our "FG is everything" mentality is a throwback to our unfortunate past under military dictatorships; the harm to our national psyche is lasting.

If Nigeria were to break up today, the average person would be tremendously punched by the immediate collapse of the following:
1. Education.
2. Healthcare
3. Banking
5. Commercial flows
6. Police
7. Military
8. etc etc

The bolded part of your post is because the FG takes the bulk of the money. You're a PDP guy, and they're power now - if they really care about Nigeria - why can't they RETURN us back to REGIONAL GOVERNMENT - where we won't have to bother about the FG anymore?

I bet you guys will NEVER do that because of the largesse at the center. That's more reason why the woman needs to shut up, and do her job. She has no control over state governments - and they're entitled to what's in the CONSTITUTION. If she doesn't like it - she should get her PDP croonies to change the backward constitution to TRUE FEDERALISM. Till then, she needs to shut up.
Re: Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala by hercules07: 1:09am On Apr 14, 2012
@Manny

According to the GEJ's speech, recurrent was reduced by 3% over the previous year, I do not know where you got the double digit figure. The greatest parasite is the FG, if we were to practise true federalism, the FG will be poorer than some states and those guys at the center will need to really really work hard for the money they get.
Re: Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala by Olaone1: 1:10am On Apr 14, 2012
I will call Beaf out when he starts clamouring for true federalism
Beaf:

It is unnatural to look to the FG for wellbeing, employment and technological progress. Those things are the duty of state govts and LG's
; that is how things work in funtioning countries. Our "FG is everything" mentality is a throwback to our unfortunate past under military dictatorships; the harm to our national psyche is lasting.

1. Education.
2. Healthcare
3. Banking
5. Commercial flows
6. Police
7. Military
8. etc etc
I don't know how you expect the States and LGs to do this when the FG chose to yank off them - albeit illegally, the power to raise their own revenue and control their own destiny.
The FG has arrogated to itself the power to oversee the whole country and only doles out what it likes to these States.
Re: Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala by thegoodjoehunt(m): 1:12am On Apr 14, 2012
Then my fellow Niger Delta people will come and tell me that, "It is like pregnancy, after we suffer, we will enjoy" ie we should accept the increased tariff. Later we will enjoy steady Electric power. OLODO. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala by Tropilo(m): 1:15am On Apr 14, 2012
Kobojunkie: I wonder how many people on here have actually stated that Iweala is expected to SOLVE the problems. ** hands on chin** ** wondering***

Pls, remove ur hands from ur chin and stop wondering.
Some of us come here and call the "poor" woman names. What's that for? She came to help her father-land and it has turned to a curse. Someone has already hit d nail correctly about d problem being political and not economics. Point blank, our constitution is a fraud! How can it say a minister must be appointed from each state? For Heaven's sake there are some states u can even find a good primary school teacher yet d president is mandated to appoint a whole policy maker (minister) from there. GOD forbid!
Re: Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala by manny4life(m): 1:19am On Apr 14, 2012
hercules07: @Manny

According to the GEJ's speech, recurrent was reduced by 3% over the previous year, I do not know where you got the double digit figure. The greatest parasite is the FG, if we were to practise true federalism, the FG will be poorer than some states and those guys at the center will need to really really work hard for the money they get.

Oga, I clearly said compared to previous years, besides, what page of GEJ speech did you see 3%? I really like to know, if I was wrong, I will admit. If this is the link to the speech, let me know. BTW, compared to last years budget, it was really significant reduction, then again, if I'm wrong, please let me know...

http://www.budgetoffice.gov.ng/2011_budget/2012_Budget_Speech_by_the_President%5B1%5D.pdf
Re: Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala by Brixtonyute(m): 1:20am On Apr 14, 2012
Tropilo:

Pls, remove ur hands from ur chin and stop wondering.
Some of us come here and call the "poor" woman names. What's that for? She came to help her father-land and it has turned to a curse. Someone has already hit d nail correctly about d problem being political and not economics. Point blank, our constitution is a fraud! How can it say a minister must be appointed from each state? For Heaven's sake there are some states u can even find a good primary school teacher yet d president is mandated to appoint a whole policy maker (minister) from there. GOD forbid!

Stop being silly - she came to help her "father-land" by requesting to get paid in dollars?? We could employ a BETTER EXPAT on lower wages - if people at the helms of power think Nigerians are incompetent - which I don't we're. SHE CAME TO HELP HER POCKETS - NOT NIGERIA.. If she truly came help us, she would do it for free..

Go take a nap, you're intellectually deficient for this type of discourse.
Re: Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala by Olaone1: 1:22am On Apr 14, 2012
The way we twist facts to satisfy parochial interest in Nigeria is worrisome.

We all know that the FG is the most useless constituted authority in Nigeria. This didn't start with GEJ, by the way. It is like this by default.
It does what it likes without any remorse and works aggressively to maintain the status quo of vicious cycle that only serves to entrench backwardness of the entity called Nigeria. Thus making virtuous cycle a mirage.

It only baffles me when supposedly learned men come online to defend policies/statements they know are not pro-people.
Re: Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala by manny4life(m): 1:25am On Apr 14, 2012
hercules07: @Manny

I found it, my apologies... What I may have inferred was the capital expense that had double digits from 2011. Thanks man for the correction...
Re: Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala by hercules07: 1:27am On Apr 14, 2012
@manny

No wahala, I know you mean well but you are defending people who do not have any plans for this country, they are interested in passing the buck, if NOI worked in my industry, she will be sacked by now.
Re: Governors Are Running Nigeria Broke- Okonjo-iweala by Kilode1: 1:27am On Apr 14, 2012
manny4life:

Thank man, they expect Dr. NOI to wave a magic wand and solve all the unsolvable...

Just to clarify, the main thrust of my comment was to address the issue of expectation. Both of NOI as a Public Servant and the States as a group. 

You cannot expect states to stop wasting money when you are busy enabling their wastage, actually, "enforcing their wastage" is a better term. The FG is like a rich thief with poor parental skills, The rich thief gave over 60% of his stolen wealth to his spoilt children, knowing they have never worked at earning a living in their life. 

It is stupid for that thief to now accuse his spoilt children of wastage, what was he expecting from them? Thriftiness? Prudency? 

@Brixtontuye, I offered a perspective on NOI's handicap WRT to her role as a Minister of Finance. I believe she can't solve nothing until we make deep and structural political changes. That I sympathized with the position she placed herself in does not mean I agree with her decision to take a job she cannot do. She's an economist trying to solve a problem that requires a much more political solution. Yes, She's out of her depth, but I can sympathize with her still. No?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Prominent Nigerians Visit Mrs. Yakowa / I’m An Ijaw Herdsman, I ‘ll Take To Full Time Farming – Dickson / Progressive Governors' Forum Sends Delegation To Meet Sanwo-Olu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.