Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:28 AM

Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With - Food (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With (41618 Views)

Dangers Associated With Suya - Must Read!! / Which Tribe Has The Best Food In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Afam4eva(m): 4:39pm On Jul 03, 2012
PrettyCindy: Ukpo Oka (corn pudding) - IkaIgbo
Fixed

1 Like

Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by igboboy1(m): 12:12am On Jul 04, 2012
tpia@:

what of cake and fanta.

That one na no brainer...in oshimili that one na staple food for over 1000years....

2 Likes

Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by edogram1(m): 2:28pm On Jul 04, 2012
Ofe owerri- igbo
okro soap- edo
upkowu soap - eshan
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by ATMC(f): 12:23pm On Jul 05, 2012
rhymz: ofe Owerri is like oha soup but instead, the thickner is cocoa yam and the leave is Okazi leave. . Also, it is usually not as thick as your typical Oha soup, achara soup, am not sure how it is prepared though but it is very different from Oha soup or ofe owerri soup.
u sound like u savvy cooking, if so, then u'll make a good...
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by ATMC(f): 12:25pm On Jul 05, 2012
tpia@:

what of cake and fanta.
Igbos!
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by aljharem(m): 6:37pm On Jul 05, 2012
^^^^^^^^^^

LOL grin grin grin grin Fanta and cake igbo shocked shocked shocked I though it was the whites undecided

BTW, How can I forget the famous Ofada rice and Ayamase (green sauce) - Yoruba (Egba particularly)

Tapioca - Yoruba ( particularly Brazilian)

Iyan (pounded yam) - Yoruba, Edo and Igbo

dundun (fried yam chips) - Yoruba

Dodo - Yoruba

that is all for now, Oya Bashr come challenge grin grin grin
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by PrettyCindy(f): 9:41pm On Jul 05, 2012
@afam, bia nwoke ogini kwanu?
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by pslm23(f): 12:23pm On Jul 06, 2012
My late grandmother(from Rivers State) told me this:

Coconut rice was staple with the igbos during the war. They had lots of coconut trees and rice and salt and pepper. so one day, someone decided to cook rice differently for the starving children and people and coconut was used. Now, if coconut rice was cooked way before the Biafran war in some other country, I do not know but all my life I've come to believe that it started with the igbo people during the war.

Moi moi: It might be a Yoruba dish and again it might not be. All my life, all the moi moi that i've eaten came from the Igbo's. I've eaten something prepared by the Yoruba's that looks like moi moi but isn't moi moi. This one is softer and more peppery and sticks to the teeth.

Is Agidi an igbo food?
Ofe N'sala is igbo
N'ri oka is igbo
Ofe Onugbu is igbo
Ngwogwo is igbo (but i won't be caught dead eating it... smiley isn't this intestines of a goat or cow?)
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by aljharem(m): 6:16pm On Jul 06, 2012
pslm23: My late grandmother(from Rivers State) told me this:

Coconut rice was staple with the igbos during the war. They had lots of coconut trees and rice and salt and pepper. so one day, someone decided to cook rice differently for the starving children and people and coconut was used. Now, if coconut rice was cooked way before the Biafran war in some other country, I do not know but all my life I've come to believe that it started with the igbo people during the war.

Moi moi: It might be a Yoruba dish and again it might not be. All my life, all the moi moi that i've eaten came from the Igbo's. I've eaten something prepared by the Yoruba's that looks like moi moi but isn't moi moi. This one is softer and more peppery and sticks to the teeth.

Is Agidi an igbo food?
Ofe N'sala is igbo
N'ri oka is igbo

Ofe Onugbu is igbo
Ngwogwo is igbo (but i won't be caught dead eating it... smiley isn't this intestines of a goat or cow?)

I think you are wrong ma.

Coconut rice originated from thailand. http://www.shesimmers.com/2009/03/mango-and-sweet-coconut-sticky-rice.html

Moi-moi orginated from Oyo aka Yoruba

in fact the Moi moi was made with eko.

here is an account of brazilians etc in the 1800 giving account on how they made moi-moi of which no other country had no influence except the yorubas

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=JTBSpuCkl9AC&pg=PA197&dq=moi+moi+food+origin&hl=en&sa=X&ei=nhz3T73kD6eH0AXjhpmlBw&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=moi%20moi%20food%20origin&f=false

is Agadi (uncooked corn starch) not the same as Akamu/Ogi of which are yoruba words ? Correct me if I am wrong
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Afam4eva(m): 6:23pm On Jul 06, 2012
alj harem:

is Agadi (uncooked corn starch) not the same as Akamu/Ogi of which are yoruba words ? Correct me if I am wrong
Agidi is what you Yorubas call eko.
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by aljharem(m): 6:30pm On Jul 06, 2012
afam4eva:
Agidi is what you Yorubas call eko.

Oh I see,

thanks smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by pslm23(f): 7:12pm On Jul 06, 2012
hmmmm... so coconut rice is thai food? Anyway sha, in my head it is Igbo food and it feels better thinking it's of Nigerian origin smiley

I'm still torn about the origin of moi moi! Either way, it is a delicious meal but hard to prepare. The thought of skin washing alone will make someone like me abandon the idea of making akara or moi moi smiley smiley smiley
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by aljharem(m): 10:41am On Jul 09, 2012
^^^^^^ No wahala

Also, my mistake Akamu is actually an Igbo word for Ogi. Just spoke to my Igbo friends in an argument grin grin grin
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Chillext(m): 3:20pm On Jul 19, 2012
Yam+rice+maccaroni= Mallams(Hausa)
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by LaPink: 5:29pm On Sep 15, 2012
Ofe Akwu. Palm kernnel Stew... With Ugu and Nchanwu.

IGBOS!
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by ATMC(f): 9:18pm On Sep 15, 2012
La Pink: Ofe Akwu. Palm kernnel Stew... With Ugu and Nchanwu.

IGBOS!
so on point! Ooolalacious...i'll eat it morrow

1 Like

Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by mafolayomi(f): 12:35pm On Sep 20, 2012
bashr8: i know you are ignorant about nigeria , when did yorubas know what moi moi is , does that even sound yoruba, thief, because igbo food are mainstreet naija food does not mean u should claim them, as for pounded yam anybody can claim that one , its nni ji in igbo land maybe u can tell us what its called in yorubaland angry

monimoin is what yorubas refers to as oole, and they mostly make theirs with red oil and not groundnut/vegetable oil that we are use to this days
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by mafolayomi(f): 12:50pm On Sep 20, 2012
Ola one: Just to correct Freecocoa and others, Moin Moin is a YORUBA dish. It's neither universal nor general. It's 100% Yoruba.

Moin Moin is the 'Lagos' spelling. It is actually spelt Moyin Moyin - a Yoruba word that means 'a delicacy that sticks to your teeth.'

That's it!

and it can as well be refers to as Oole where am from (Abeokuta)
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by stephybabe(f): 5:22pm On Sep 25, 2012
Epang ku quo...efik. Atama..........efik. Editan.........efik. Afang..........efik. Ibaba..........efik. Etidud.........efik. Abak...........efik. Afia efire ebot...efik. Oton..............efik. Ayan epang........efik. Editank ikong.....efik. Efiere ekpai......efik....lots more

1 Like

Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Nobody: 9:11pm On Oct 03, 2012
Okpa: Igbo
Ofe ora/Onugbu: Igbo
Ofe Nsala: Igbo
Isi-ewu/Nkwobi: Igbo
Ukwa: Igbo
Ofe Akwu: Igbo
Suya: Hausa/Fulani

1 Like

Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by aljharem(m): 8:00pm On Oct 06, 2012
mafolayomi:

and it can as well be refers to as Oole where am from (Abeokuta)

Yeah that is probably Egba word for Moi=moi. A typical yoruba knows moi moi is moi moi. Moi moi originated from Yorubas
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by SirECO(m): 12:46pm On Oct 07, 2012
Agbu-gbu (fio-fio)
Abacha
Okpa.
Wash them down with a bottle of coke, pepsi or 7up. To taste this, enter ESUT OR IMT Enugu.
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Flowers2127: 3:25pm On Nov 13, 2012
Amedi rice and Soup (Banga rice and soup)- Urhobos - They get 4 different types and all sweet die
Eguoo usi (starch) and Eguo eba (yello garri) this is ripe plantain pounded into eba or starch - Urhobo
Gana pepper soup )Egusi pepper soup - Urhobo
Igbagba Ofofo (Okro peper soup) - Urhobo
Iribotor (Pepper soup not cooked with heat ) - Urhobo
Ukodo (peper soup pottage)- Urhobo
Ohwo soup (Oil soup) - Urhbobo
Usi - Urhobo
Egusi okro pepper soup - Urhobo
Pepper soup - Urhobo
The corn or ripe plantain agidi has it roots in Urhobo (i maybe wrong)

Urhobo and south south food blog

http://cookingncleaning..co.uk/2012/10/urhobo-banga-rice.html
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by ihejimagha(f): 12:48pm On Jan 11, 2013
Ileke-IdI:
ewa agboyin - yoruba
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by ihejimagha(f): 12:51pm On Jan 11, 2013
all tribes eat egusi, elele oka is for igbos
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by queenet246(f): 7:27am On Jan 13, 2013
ofe uha and uziza - ibos
ofe ukazi - ibos
jigbo mmiri - ibos
akpuruakpu egusi wit okporoko na ibos ooo tho dnt knw if any oda tribe does dat.
nsisa wit utasi - ibos

1 Like

Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Probz(m): 2:30am On Nov 24, 2016
Ukpo Ogede (Plantain Moi-Moi) - Igbo
Ayamase and Ofada Rice - Yoruba
Ata Dindin - Yoruba
Ofe Achara/Akpurakpu Egwusi - Ibo
Okporoko (stockfish) - Igbo
Uziza leaves - Igbo
Fake paracetamol - Aba

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid / White Rice With Spicy Chicken Stew. Fresh Tomatoes Is Scarce Today So.... / Lady Orders Cake for her Baby's Birthday Online, But See What was Delivered. PIX

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.