Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,637 members, 7,958,938 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 07:45 AM

Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With (42425 Views)

Dangers Associated With Suya - Must Read!! / Which Tribe Has The Best Food In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by sholay2011(m): 12:59pm On Jul 01, 2012
'Bombgaskia'....a stew by northerners grin wink

3 Likes

Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by aljharem(m): 1:00pm On Jul 01, 2012
Bitter leaf soup- Anambra (Igbo)

Efo elegusi - (Yoruba)
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by bashr8: 1:02pm On Jul 01, 2012
akidi, akara, akamu(pap), coconut rice.
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by aljharem(m): 1:05pm On Jul 01, 2012
bashr8: i know you are ignorant about nigeria , when did yorubas know what moi moi is , does that even sound yoruba, thief, because igbo food are mainstreet naija food does not mean u should claim them, as for pounded yam anybody can claim that one , its nni ji in igbo land maybe u can tell us what its called in yorubaland angry

You have to understand that Igbos borrow cultures a lot, most who go to states like Lagos and Oyo. It is not surprising when we were talking about Egusi when Igbos claimed it started in ala igbo.

Moi moi is not only used by Nigerian Yorubas but also those in the carribeans and benin republic of which Igbos had no influence on.

Cerlos people in serri leano also have the same account

If you want me to bring out the link, I can.
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by acidtalk: 1:06pm On Jul 01, 2012
bashr8: i know you are ignorant about nigeria , when did yorubas know what moi moi is , does that even sound yoruba, thief, because igbo food are mainstreet naija food does not mean u should claim them, as for pounded yam anybody can claim that one , its nni ji in igbo land maybe u can tell us what its called in yorubaland angry

See you life!
Even for Food Section. Fooooooood Section of all places you don tribalize am and ready to strangle someone just because they claimed a particular food to their region.

America - Burgar
Italy - Pizza
Chicken Kieve - Austria

This people will force each other to taste and love their different delicacies, here see him carry cutlass to chase ileke-idi just because she said Moi-moi is Yoruba.
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by shadrach77: 1:07pm On Jul 01, 2012
Edika ikong - ibo
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by aljharem(m): 1:07pm On Jul 01, 2012
bashr8: akidi, akara, akamu(pap), coconut rice.

akidi

akara - yoruba

akamu is a yoruba word as well

coconut rice is likly imported
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by aljharem(m): 1:08pm On Jul 01, 2012
shadrach77: Edika ikong - ibo

nope , it is ibibio
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by freecocoa(f): 1:10pm On Jul 01, 2012
alj harem:

join what my sister kiss
You don dey thief food dash yoruba people. sad

1 Like

Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by mmizco: 1:18pm On Jul 01, 2012
Funkaso- Hausa
Tuwo miyan kuka- Hausa
BUraBusco-Kanuri
Danwake- Hausa
Fura da nono- FUlani
Tubani-Hausa
Rama,Zogale,Lansir-Hausa
Danbu-HAusa
Masa-Hausa
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by acidtalk: 1:18pm On Jul 01, 2012
Oya na who do the following?

Burgar
Pizza
Shawama
Fries
Whisky
Vodka
Brandy
Buns
Kulikuli
Ofio
Donkwa
Eyin alangba
Noodles
Wine
Barbeque
Roasted yam and ground nut
Cocaine

$50,000 (Zimbabwean) for the person that can get every single one correct.
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by bashr8: 1:19pm On Jul 01, 2012
alj harem:

You have to understand that Igbos borrow cultures a lot, most who go to states like Lagos and Oyo. It is not surprising when we were talking about Egusi when Igbos claimed it started in ala igbo.

Moi moi is not only used by Nigerian Yorubas but also those in the carribeans and benin republic of which Igbos had no influence on.

Cerlos people in serri leano also have the same account

If you want me to bring out the link, I can.
criminal do u even know what akidi is, well am sure u will go google it.as for egusi its all around africa not just nigeria
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by bashr8: 1:21pm On Jul 01, 2012
shadrach77: Edika ikong - ibo
thats efik ibibio not igbo , our own is utazi/otazi made with almost the same ingridients except the periwinkle
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by aljharem(m): 1:21pm On Jul 01, 2012
freecocoa: You don dey thief food dash yoruba people. sad

My sister, don't be like that.

At least if you do not believe me or other yorubas here, you would believe the ex-slaves that there parents gave detail account of their former culture.

There is no point in lying here. I believe culture mix and evolve everyday. The first time I ate coconut rice was from an Igbo family.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=JTBSpuCkl9AC&pg=PA197&dq=moi+moi+food+yoruba&hl=en&sa=X&ei=vTzwT4zfEoqp8QOe8MmdDQ&ved=0CDkQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=moi%20moi%20food%20yoruba&f=false

Now lets even think about it logically.

To do moi moi or akara, one would need cowpeas.

Cowpea grow in arid land and as far as I am aware, there are no arid land in the SE. Even southern benue and Kogi have no arid land.

The best place for growth is the northern part of Nigeria. Places like northern kwara, Niger etc

The question you should ask is where did our fore-fathers get cowpea from ?

1 Like

Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by aljharem(m): 1:25pm On Jul 01, 2012
bashr8: your a criminal , you people like to their everything,imagine yorubas wey no even get food wan drag with igbos, tufia,moi moi is igbo so is akidi stop claiming other peoples food gosh

I don't know what Akadi is. that was why I added the question mark.

Akara (bean balls), moi moi (from beans) eko or akamu (from maize) and dodo (fried plantain) which are common dishes amongst the Ibos and Ibibios of southeastern Nigeria are traditional Yoruba dishes introduced into the former Eastern ... By University of Nigeria, Nsukka. Institute of African Studies. University of Nigeria, Nsukka. Institute of African Studies

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&tbm=bks&sclient=psy-ab&q=moi+moi+food+yoruba&oq=moi+moi+food+yoruba&gs_l=serp.3...7909.9297.4.9625.7.7.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0.0.RliTbpgWx3o&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=47b5e442138a7ed1&biw=1023&bih=586

bashr, these are Igbo professors much older than you, educating you on your culture
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by aljharem(m): 1:26pm On Jul 01, 2012
I mean logically, Egusi seed from water melon and Cowpea does not grow in the eastern part of Nigeria. So where did you get if from to be claiming akara, moi moi, egusi etc
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by freecocoa(f): 1:30pm On Jul 01, 2012
Alj harem,no wahala i don hear,the most important thing is that we still eat at the end so no biggies.cheesy
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by mamaafrik(m): 1:33pm On Jul 01, 2012
Efo tete + amala lafu,ikete,ojojo,egunsi,gbegiri,sapala elepo,eegbo,apọn,ofuloju,all belong to Yoruba,ẹwa'gọnyin + fresh toyin bread .......ayakatayariyarioo= egun.

1 Like

Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by aljharem(m): 1:33pm On Jul 01, 2012
freecocoa: Alj harem,no wahala i don hear,the most important thing is that we still eat at the end so no biggies.cheesy

abi o my sister. My favorite food is not even yoruba foods apart from Ikokore (Ijebu). I love the Igbo version of egusi and madly in love with Ise ewu.

Tuwo is very good as well. grin grin grin
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by SuyaEater(m): 1:33pm On Jul 01, 2012
Suya - hausas grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by SuyaEater(m): 1:34pm On Jul 01, 2012
Where did akamu and akara come from?
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jul 01, 2012
sholay2011: 'Bombgaskia'....a stew by northerners grin wink
cheesycheesycheesycheesycheesy... The name resemble dem sha! grin
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by aljharem(m): 1:38pm On Jul 01, 2012
SuyaEater: Where did akamu and akara come from?

Yoruba people. Pap could be called Ogi or Akamu. Akamu is more used among in Osun, and northern part of yorubaland, I think.

Akara is just fried bean cake which is yoruba as well.
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jul 01, 2012
ATMC: Abacha- ibos

Say the full name of the meal: Sani Abachasmiley
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jul 01, 2012
SuyaEater: Suya - hausas grin grin grin grin grin grin

Who told you its Hausa meal? Suya is a national mealsmiley
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by bashr8: 1:40pm On Jul 01, 2012
alj harem:

Yoruba people. Pap could be called Ogi or Akamu. Akamu is more used among in Osun, and northern part of yorubaland, I think.

criminal keep stealing grin

Pap is also called ugali in eastern and some parts of southern Africa; sadza/isitshwala in Zimbabwe; nsima in Zambia and Malawi; phaletshe in Botswana and banku in West Africa. Another South African name for it is mieliepap.[citation needed] from the Afrikaans words "Mielie", meaning "Corn", and "Pap".
In Nigeria, it is called akamu amongst the Igbo and ogi amongst the Yorubas with a consistency similar to American pudding. Ogi/Akamu in Nigeria is generally accompanied with "moin moin" a bean pudding or "akara" which is a bean cake. A similar dish is polenta, from northern Italy. In the United States a similar dish is known as grits. The primary difference between the US and the South African dishes is that in the US the maize (or corn) used is a yellow kernel maize, whereas in South Africa maize is especially grown for human consumption with white kernels, allowing the whole kernel to be used for the maize meal
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by ibide(m): 1:42pm On Jul 01, 2012
Urhobo ukodo amiedi egbagba ovwo ewli

1 Like

Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by bashr8: 1:43pm On Jul 01, 2012
alj harem:

akara (bean cake )is not yoruba it is a world wide dish eaten even in europe , the yoruba name might be akara but it is also the igbo name for bean cake so stop claiming

It is called "akara" by the Igbo people of south-eastern Nigeria and in the Yorubaland of south-western Nigeria, "kosai" by the Hausa people of Nigeria or "koose" in Ghana and is a popular breakfast dish, eaten with millet or corn porridge.

2 Likes

Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by freecocoa(f): 1:45pm On Jul 01, 2012
alj harem:

abi o my sister. My favorite food is not even yoruba foods apart from Ikokore (Ijebu). I love the Igbo version of egusi and madly in love with Ise ewu.

Tuwo is very good as well. grin grin grin
Isi ewu you mean?

Funny enough i don't like that thing one bit.

I love Amala and got to eat it when mum was here but now nobody to prepare it for me again,maybe I'll come eat it a your place someday.cheesy
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by akigbemaru: 1:46pm On Jul 01, 2012
Akidi? May sound Ibo
Akamu is a kind of pap drink in Yorubaland
Akara is a beans cake in Yoruba land.

I am not trying to sound rude or disrespect my Ibo brother. But a lot of Yoruba words for food and items are similar to Ibo words and I think all came from when Bishop Ajayi Crowther a Yoruba son helped Ibo people to codify and formalize their language, he couldn't find a replacement for some items and he named them after Yoruba items.
E.g. Tolo tolo (turkey) or Garri (cassava grits) e.t.c.

But we have got to understand that Yoruba culture and norms transcend just one continent and makes it easy for any of its practices to spread like wide fire.

I used to date a Ghanaian lady, when she speaks, I would barely comprehend anything she was saying. One day, I saw a potash Alum (kan un) in Yoruba, I asked her what is that she said Kan un, just like the way Yoruba people pronounce it. I thought that maybe coincidence, and one day again, I was messing with her and I said she had already Americanized by wearing jeans all the time. She responded back that it's not so, that show used to get "ankoo" with her divorced husband, and I was like that sounds Yoruba again. Ankoo in Yoruba means either husband and wife or the whole family or different set of people disguise in the same outfit. Then, she took me to her closet and said this is my (Buba and Iro) Blouse and wrap skirt. And I have noticed some few similarities in our food with her food. What interesting to me was, she doesn't speak or understand Yoruba language and neither she speaks Nigerian Pidgin English. If say how far, she would like I am ok, after that she doesn't other anything in our pidgin again. Even I may have forgotten sometimes, she would be the one to remind me that she doesn't understand what I was speaking to her.

2 Likes

Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by bashr8: 1:49pm On Jul 01, 2012
akigbemaru: Akidi? May sound Ibo
[s][b]Akamu is a kind of pap drink in Yorubaland[[/s]/b]
Akara is a beans cake in Yoruba land.

[s]I am not trying to sound rude or disrespect my Ibo brother. But a lot of Yoruba words for food and items are similar to Ibo words and I think all came from when Bishop Ajayi Crowther a Yoruba son helped Ibo people to codify and formalize their language, he couldn't find a replacement for some items and he named them after Yoruba items.
E.g. Tolo tolo (turkey) or Garri (cassava grits) e.t.c.

But we have got to understand that Yoruba culture and norms transcend just one continent and makes it easy for any of its practices to spread like wide fire.

I used to date a Ghanaian lady, when she speaks, I would barely comprehend anything she was saying. One day, I saw a potash Alum (kan un) in Yoruba, I asked her what is that she said Kan un, just like the way Yoruba people pronounce it. I thought that maybe coincidence, and one day again, I was messing with her and I said she had already Americanized by wearing jeans all the time. She responded back that it's not so, that show used to get "ankoo" with her divorced husband, and I was like that sounds Yoruba again. Ankoo in Yoruba means either husband and wife or the whole family or different set of people disguise in the same outfit. Then, she took me to her closet and said this is my (Buba and Iro) Blouse and wrap skirt. And I have noticed some few similarities in our food with her food. What interesting to me was, she doesn't speak or understand Yoruba language and neither she speaks Nigerian Pidgin English. If say how far, she would like I am ok, after that she doesn't other anything in our pidgin again. Even I may have forgotten sometimes, she would be the one to remind me that she doesn't understand what I was speaking to her.

[/s]rubbish akamu is igbo word for pap which is a world wide food by the way made from maize which is abundance in igboland and limited or not grown in yorubaland, stop stealing what does not belong to you

there where lots of igbo missionaries in yprubaland by the way , igbos had the highest number of missionaries,thats why today yorubaland is filled with igbo food

Pap is also called ugali in eastern and some parts of southern Africa; sadza/isitshwala in Zimbabwe; nsima in Zambia and Malawi; phaletshe in Botswana and banku in West Africa. Another South African name for it is mieliepap[/b].[citation needed] from the Afrikaans words "Mielie", meaning "Corn", and "Pap".
In Nigeria,[b] it is called akamu amongst the Igbo and ogi amongst the Yorubas with a consistency similar to American pudding
. Ogi/Akamu in Nigeria is generally accompanied with "moin moin" a bean pudding or "akara" which is a bean cake. A similar dish is polenta, from northern Italy. In the United States a similar dish is known as grits. The primary difference between the US and the South African dishes is that in the US the maize (or corn) used is a yellow kernel maize, whereas in South Africa maize is especially grown for human consumption with white kernels, allowing the whole kernel to be used for the maize meal

maybe one day you will claim jollof rice, which is not even a nigerian name but igbo version of it is called rice okpei

4 Likes

Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by aljharem(m): 1:50pm On Jul 01, 2012
bashr8: akara (bean cake )is not yoruba it is a world wide dish eaten even in europe , the yoruba name might be akara but it is also the igbo name for bean cake so stop claiming

It is called "akara" by the Igbo people of south-eastern Nigeria and in the Yorubaland of south-western Nigeria, "kosai" by the Hausa people of Nigeria or "koose" in Ghana and is a popular breakfast dish, eaten with millet or corn porridge.

LOL this is from wikipedia. go do your research my brother. Need I say more grin grin grin. BTW long time bashr8

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Tanzanian Lady: "Ghanaian Jollof Rice Is Better Than Nigerian Jollof Rice" / Nigerians Struggling Over Boxes Of Pepper At A Store In Canada (Video) / Men Eat From Heaps Of Fufu At Food-Eating Competition In Cross-River (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.