Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,214 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:10 AM

Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With - Food (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With (41567 Views)

Dangers Associated With Suya - Must Read!! / Which Tribe Has The Best Food In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by htajz: 5:37pm On Jul 01, 2012
Roasted plantain and roasted fish, polofiyai ' palm kernel soup
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Obiagu1(m): 5:40pm On Jul 01, 2012
isale_gan2:

I am so hungry.

About the tribalism in this thread, AljHarem did not start it. Bashir did. He misunderstood Ileke-Idi simply because of an oversight - she did not remember the Yoruba name for 'apon" and called it Ogbona soup. Obviously both Westerners and Easterners cook it, but call it different names.

You folks better calm down.

Good thread overall.

If you tell Ileke that Ogbono is an Igbo word will she agree? She believes every word used in Lagos and environ is of Yoruba origin the same way she was claiming egwusi.

1 Like

Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jul 01, 2012
Since when yoruba get food? Attending boarding school in Lagos back then, if my memory serves me right, all those yoruba cooks could provide us as delicacies are either watery beans and plaintain or some greenish draw soup covered in oil. Trust your boy though to not even go close to those.

When you speak of exotic, well prepared and finger licking dishes in Nigeria, you speak of the Igbos. Others do not even get close.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by ATMC(f): 6:10pm On Jul 01, 2012
bright007: This thread has been invaded by miscreants.
abi o...guys stop d bashing nd have fun. D raw materials used in d preparation of d various dishes from d different tribes grew naturally nd can be found anywhere. What is made of it in d different places is not suppose to cause trouble abeg. D probability dt igbos nd yorubas can share same dish is unity. So stop d insults. Meanwhile i learnt a lot though d pronounciation of certain dish was battle. Ofe mpoto- igbo, enugu precisely.
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Obiagu1(m): 6:18pm On Jul 01, 2012
List of foods that have Igbo origin or present in Igboland since time immemorial.

Ofe Ora(oha) (Oha soup)
Ofe Onugbo (Bitter leaf soup)
Ofe Nsala
Ofe Egwusi
Ofe Ogbono
Ofe Okwuru (Okra soup)
Ofe Akwukwo (Vegetable soup)
Ofe Akwu (Palm kernel stew)

Ukwa (Bread fruit)
Abacha and Ugba
Nni ji (Pounded yam) mostly eating with Ofe Nsala (an elite soup) or sometimes with Ofe egwusi.
Akpu (mainly eating with Ofe Onugbo)

Okpa
Isi ewu
Nkwobi
Akidi
Ji akwukwo (Boiled yam mixed with vegetable) (Damn I miss this smiley)
Ji Mmanu (Yam with palm oil) (Poor man's food or quicky)
Agidi
Agbugbu (Fio fio)

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Misterpaul(m): 6:25pm On Jul 01, 2012
I had this delicious food last week when i was in Imo state..Its calld UGBA AGWOROAGWO!..Mehn,i cant forget this food.

3 Likes

Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by phyl123: 6:46pm On Jul 01, 2012
Ikpogi soup and Ama- Bini
Oghede and Owo- Bini
Ogbolo soup and Eba- Bini
usi and cotton soup-Bini
Bitterleaf and mint leaf soup- bini
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by adsega(m): 8:02pm On Jul 01, 2012
obe marugbo and pupuru... ilaje grin[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by gulfer: 8:12pm On Jul 01, 2012
Egbo and Adalu-Yoruba grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Lakayana: 8:22pm On Jul 01, 2012
htajz: Roasted plantain and roasted fish, polofiyai ' palm kernel soup
Thank you i have been scrolling down wondering if anybody will remember polufei and starch aka k.k.f. ha Izon!!!
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jul 01, 2012
Ogbono - Yoruba

Moin moin - Yoruba

All these fight una dey fight na your own. Make someone come with proof sha. When i hear those two delicacies, my mind automatically goes to Yoruba!
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by inice(m): 8:37pm On Jul 01, 2012
So who win? I'm giving out medals now!
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jul 01, 2012
Aadun - Yoruba
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jul 01, 2012
Ponmo - Yoruba grin
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by rhymz(m): 8:39pm On Jul 01, 2012
Mmiri okwu ji-igbo
ofe ede-igbo
ofe owerri-igbo
afang soup-calabar
ofe Oha-igbo
ukwa-igbo
ofe olugbu-igbo
agidi jollof
ofe okwuru
ofe akwukwo
and pls my yoruba guyz should stop saying mai mai is yoruba, how na??

1 Like

Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jul 01, 2012
I forgot what this dish is called, we used to make it in Ekiti. . . . it's like yellow jollof rice lol, it tastes soooooooooo different from the typical jollof rice and it's softer too.

I know it has a name, i just can put my pinkie on it.
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by inice(m): 8:41pm On Jul 01, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
Ogbono - Yoruba

Moin moin - Yoruba

All these fight una dey fight na your own. Make someone come with proof sha. When i hear those two delicacies, my mind automatically goes to Yoruba!

Pls nobody has said anything about
Ofe mmanu-?
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by olaisababs(m): 8:45pm On Jul 01, 2012
assorted ofada rice with confirm sauce wey make sense gan,inside leaf no plate et al !
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jul 01, 2012
Ewa asepo - Yoruba

Suya - Hausa
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jul 01, 2012
Ewedu - Yoruba
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by inice(m): 8:46pm On Jul 01, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
I forgot what this dish is called, we used to make it in Ekiti. . . . it's like yellow jollof rice lol, it tastes soooooooooo different from the typical jollof rice and it's softer too.

I know it has a name, i just can put my pinkie on it.

Yellow jollof rice enjoy! tongue
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by olaisababs(m): 8:47pm On Jul 01, 2012
assorted ofada rice with confirm sauce wey make sense gan,inside leaf no plate et al ! Perculiar to yoruba people esp ogun
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jul 01, 2012
Igbin didin - Yoruba
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jul 01, 2012
olaisababs: assorted ofada rice with confirm sauce wey make sense gan,inside leaf no plate et al ! Perculiar to yoruba people esp ogun

Yum yum yummmmmm.

That's what got me through primary school lol grin
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Nobody: 8:50pm On Jul 01, 2012
Asaro - Yoruba
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Nobody: 8:52pm On Jul 01, 2012
Obe ata - Yoruba
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Nobody: 8:54pm On Jul 01, 2012
Bitterleaf soup

Pepper soup

I'm about to claim these two for Yorubas. Not sure though, but it prolly is lol
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by aljharem(m): 9:26pm On Jul 01, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
Bitterleaf soup

Pepper soup

I'm about to claim these two for Yorubas. Not sure though, but it prolly is lol

Bitterleaf soup is purely igbo, infact a delicacy in anambra igbos.

Yorubas as far as I am aware don't cook bitterleaf soup but I know of efo ewuro which means bitterleaf stew. More like efo, egusi and bitterleaf

Also what you call Ogbono, we call Apon

1 Like

Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jul 01, 2012
^^^ thanks, sweetness.
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Jummymine(f): 10:39pm On Jul 01, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
Ogbona soup - Yoruba
ogbono soup is not yoruba soup it belongs to ibo
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by aljharem(m): 10:41pm On Jul 01, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
^^^ thanks, sweetness.

No problem my sister. if I remember correctly, it is called ofe nlugbu or olugbu

yoruba would mix bitter leaf (ewuro) with efo or something along that line.
Re: Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With by Ogegod87: 10:44pm On Jul 01, 2012
[quote
author=bashr8]pounded yam(nni ji , okro , ofe aku, onugbu , nsala,oha,
otazi,egusi , agidi, fio fio, moi moi,okpa, abacha, ukpaka, ofe ede,
akpu,garri, rice okpei(osikapa) ,vegetable curry soup and rice,ji agwo
agwo(yam po and veg),ji awai(yam peper soup)isi ewu, nkwobi, fish pepper
soup,oka na ube(corn and coconut or pear). plantain porriage, nni ede .
thumbs up...but hw could u possibly ve out my favourite- ugba na okporoko ukodo- urobo.

igbo wink[/quote]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? / Does Mixing Alcoholic Drinks With Non-Alcoholic Drinks Reduce Effect? / See The Evolution Coca-Cola Bottles Went Through Over The Years! (PIC)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.