Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,087 members, 7,818,262 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:23 AM

Is It Right To Ask Your Partner About Their Past Relationship? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is It Right To Ask Your Partner About Their Past Relationship? (5696 Views)

Telling Them About Her Past Relationship Keep Driving Them Away- Advise Her. / What Have You Learned From Your Past Relationship(s)? / Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Right To Ask Your Partner About Their Past Relationship? by Fikzy(f): 8:24pm On Nov 06, 2007
Dear All,
How do you feel knowing about your partner's Ex-Partner?
You realy love someone, you ussually would want to know details of her past relationship?
Is it right to ask about a partners past repationship?
If its ok, are there limits?
Re: Is It Right To Ask Your Partner About Their Past Relationship? by RichyBlacK(m): 8:30pm On Nov 06, 2007
It's fine; I see nothing wrong in it.
Both parties decide the limit - can go as far as possible.
Re: Is It Right To Ask Your Partner About Their Past Relationship? by drrionelli(m): 8:32pm On Nov 06, 2007
I think she should provide that information to you only on the provision that you provide such information about your past to her.
Re: Is It Right To Ask Your Partner About Their Past Relationship? by ThoniaSlim(f): 12:38am On Nov 07, 2007
depends on what questions, not over personal questions like how many times you partner had sex with his/her past partner. or how good was his/her previous partner in bed etc lipsrsealed. apart from over personal ridiculous questions. i think its fine to come clean.
Re: Is It Right To Ask Your Partner About Their Past Relationship? by iice(f): 8:09am On Nov 07, 2007
Agree with the three previous posters
Re: Is It Right To Ask Your Partner About Their Past Relationship? by eezzy(f): 8:36am On Nov 07, 2007
drrionelli:

I think she should provide that information to you only on the provision that you provide such information about your past to her.

I totally agree with drionelli. The problem in this prospect of finding out about
each others past is expectation. While most women will expect the worst, most
men want to believe the lady should be a saint and anything to the contrary can
turn them off the lady completely.
Re: Is It Right To Ask Your Partner About Their Past Relationship? by Fikzy(f): 9:31am On Nov 07, 2007
ThoniaSlim:

depends on what questions, not over personal questions like how many times you partner had sex with his/her past partner. or how good was his/her previous partner in bed etc lipsrsealed. apart from over personal ridiculous questions. i think its fine to come clean.

I am often attempt to ask about the sex part of the past relationship.
When I do, most girls would say "It was there but noting intimate like what we have".
That sends a message that she is obviously trying to paint a saint picture.
Just gets me more curious!
Why I want to know more I dont know!
Re: Is It Right To Ask Your Partner About Their Past Relationship? by iice(f): 9:58am On Nov 07, 2007
Some ladies have a problem with the sex talk - past, present and future.
Sometimes, its the effect of society - lady should not be a freak blah blah.
Atimes, they think its what the men want to hear. 'if i tell him, he might loose respect' 'he might not love me' she thinks. If you know your partner well enough and vice versa, it shouldn't be a problem and the freedom can be sweet!!
Re: Is It Right To Ask Your Partner About Their Past Relationship? by adeboo(f): 10:20am On Nov 07, 2007
I feel there are times when its necessary to tell present partners of past relationships e.g if u have a child from it or were married etc.

But if its not really necessary, then i would keep shtum. Its so sad that when u try and be truthful with people, they use it against you.

So i keep some stuff to maself.
Re: Is It Right To Ask Your Partner About Their Past Relationship? by mamaput(f): 10:27am On Nov 07, 2007
The only thing i would like to know is why they broke up.
Re: Is It Right To Ask Your Partner About Their Past Relationship? by opokonwa(m): 10:38am On Nov 07, 2007
@poster

It's not about right or wrong

It's about whether you are curious enough or not! Period.
Re: Is It Right To Ask Your Partner About Their Past Relationship? by Bolarge(m): 10:46am On Nov 07, 2007
There're really no rights and wrongs in relationships as it were. Everything depends on the
couple involved. If a guy is interested in knowing about your past relationships, it's actually
both a blessing and possibly a curse. If he's in for the "wham, bam, thank u maam" thang he
really cldn't be bothered 'bout how many dudes've been there afterall you're only another statistic.
I'm however yet to meet a respectable guy who's ready to commit to a woman that won't make
inquiries, both directly ie asking the woman involved and indirectly (informers hehe grin).

My advice to couples however is whatever the case, come out straight. Come out clean.
Tell him/her as it is
. True some peeps have a past that stinks but I'll say this with all boldness there
is only one judge and that is God
. The interrogator reserves the right to take a walk if he/she so
desires. Lying can only demean you the more 'cs somehow the truth always has a way of rearing it's
head later. Be true to yourself, and to the one you're looking to make a part of yourself.
 Real men/women judge based on the person before them right now, not some monster that may have
existed sometime in the dark recesses of history.
Re: Is It Right To Ask Your Partner About Their Past Relationship? by dellynash(f): 11:57am On Nov 07, 2007
yes there is nothing bad knowing your partner's past life
Re: Is It Right To Ask Your Partner About Their Past Relationship? by drrionelli(m): 6:36pm On Nov 07, 2007
@eezzy:
Thank you!

@post:
We really must realize that the times in which we live are different from the times of our grandparents.  Our expectations of others as well as those things which we, ourselves, have to offer might or might not be shared values.  It is, however, those shared values that are of most consequence. 

Examples? Certainly, it matters (or rather, it should matter to you) if the person you're considering having sex with has him/herself had unprotected sex with 30 other people.  You need to be aware if this person has engaged in behaviours that are potentially harmful, e.g., illicit drug use.  Ladies, it is imperative to be aware if a guy has a history of physically abusing his partners. 

These are but a few things that are important with respect to one's past.  And, likewise, an awareness of another's past need not be only cautionary.  Such can also be a means to affirm and reinforce compatibility.  Which is why I suggest that an honest sharing of such information is the most advantageous situation.

Now, suppose someone balks at providing reciprocal information about him/herself.  That should be a warning to you.  Either that person has something to hide, or that person is afraid of giving you something to use against him/her.  Regardless, at that point, don't give any more info about yourself, lest it be used against you!
Re: Is It Right To Ask Your Partner About Their Past Relationship? by Busta(f): 6:48pm On Nov 07, 2007
see nothing wrong with that.

I'll ask him about his past relationship, I wanna know how and why it ended.
gives me more ideas about what I'm getting into.
Re: Is It Right To Ask Your Partner About Their Past Relationship? by ikamefa(f): 3:51am On Nov 08, 2007
Bolarge:

There're really no rights and wrongs in relationships as it were. Everything depends on the
couple involved. If a guy is interested in knowing about your past relationships, it's actually
both a blessing and possibly a curse. If he's in for the "wham, bam, thank u maam" thang he
really cldn't be bothered 'bout how many dudes've been there afterall you're only another statistic.
I'm however yet to meet a respectable guy who's ready to commit to a woman that won't make
inquiries, both directly ie asking the woman involved and indirectly (informers hehe grin).

My advice to couples however is [b]whatever the case, come out straight. Come out clean.
Tell him/her as it is
. True some peeps have a past that stinks but I'll say this with all boldness there
is only one judge and that is God
. The interrogator reserves the right to take a walk if he/she so
desires. Lying can only demean you the more 'cs somehow the truth always has a way of rearing it's
head later. Be true to yourself, and to the one you're looking to make a part of yourself.
Real men/women judge based on the person before them right now, not some monster that may have
existed sometime in the dark recesses of history.[/b]

totally agree with this post! you either take him/her as he/she is past ,present and future or you hit the road cheesy
Re: Is It Right To Ask Your Partner About Their Past Relationship? by MoOdYLaDy(f): 3:52am On Nov 08, 2007
Well it depend on the type of relationship i have with the guy, if it something that isn't serious, then am not telling you shit about my past, because most of these naija guys act so immature, they will throw it back in your faces, especially if your happen to get into an argument.

But if it’s a serious relationship knowing it probable going lead to the altar then I will surly tell him  about my past, something’s I know might/will hurt us down the line if I don’t speak up and I will ask about his also, because if am trying to spend the rest of my life with someone, then I got to know everything he has done in his life, both good and bad
Re: Is It Right To Ask Your Partner About Their Past Relationship? by almondjoy(f): 7:47am On Nov 08, 2007
Yes, it is okay to ask but without the "intimate" details. Things like reasons for past breakups and incompartiblities could make present relationship/s stronger. Avoid any "juicy" details that might be used as evidence against you in the future.
Re: Is It Right To Ask Your Partner About Their Past Relationship? by shescute4(f): 8:16am On Nov 08, 2007
@MoOdYLaDy, you said it all.

in a relationship, i'll really like to know d cause of break-up so i don't go the same direction(that is if i really like him).but if a girl is going all the way disclosing her past,i think it must be a mutual decision.
Re: Is It Right To Ask Your Partner About Their Past Relationship? by ndumart: 10:54am On Nov 08, 2007
would not ask unless she chooses to tell me? though i need to know y they broke.
Re: Is It Right To Ask Your Partner About Their Past Relationship? by SOJ(m): 11:02am On Nov 08, 2007
@Busta
True talk. but really the thing from personal experience is dat talk just drifted there without questions been asked.I think u should know enough to keep u informed and not pissed!afterall,its just plain info abi?If ur relationship is healthy enuf,talk should cover that.when u av to resort to asking direct,probing questions,and worse still get vague answers, well,ur guess is as gud as mine sad
Re: Is It Right To Ask Your Partner About Their Past Relationship? by Johnchelse(m): 12:44pm On Nov 08, 2007
It's not ideal to ask that question most expecially from girls. It can be annoying sometimes.
It is possible to ask and on answering the question, ur love for him/her might becomes so flexible than ever before, due to the answer.
Re: Is It Right To Ask Your Partner About Their Past Relationship? by iice(f): 4:05pm On Nov 09, 2007
wow, love of these days. . . undecided

(1) (Reply)

OMG See What This Beautiful Girl Is Doing With Her Kpomo(private Part) / ROMANTIC STORY: My Landlady, Her Daughters And A Tenant (part 4) / WARNING: I Ate Ass And Now I feel Sick

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.