Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,188 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:49 PM

Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other (4107 Views)

9 Secrets From A 73-year Marriage / Ladies And Their Past / Is It Right To Ask Your Partner About Their Past Relationship? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other by funloving(m): 10:26pm On Feb 01, 2006
Hi pals,
do you think new lovers should keep  secrets from their past from each other,especially if it is a dirty secret that could make or mar the relationship.

Maybe there is a secret child somewhere ,you lied about your age , there has been an incident of rape ,you have been to jail before,etc.

Secret is not "all about sexual secrets"  grin

Please give  reasons for your answer
Re: Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other by luxoire(f): 10:34pm On Feb 01, 2006
hey wat up peeps?!
i'm one of those ppl that believe in complte and total honesty, tell me lemme know how to handle it..cos i no go find am funny at all, if i get to find out latyer on in the relationship...because ei dey automatically lose u points...
plus if u keep secrets, other ppl who wanna break u up, can use those secrets as blackmail, and in ur stupidity ur giving the a strong weapon against you!!
so i say be open...u aint got nothin to lose, cos at the start of it, u both got very little at stake, meanwhile when u leave it a while and u invest into the relationship..theres a lot at stake..and the more is at the stake, the harsher the consequences if the other person ever finds out
Re: Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other by Seun(m): 4:44am On Feb 02, 2006
Too much honesty in a typical premarital relationship is a double edged sword. It is nice for your relationship, but what happens when you break up and your partner is bitter agaisnt you? Won't he or she use that information to try to get back at you?

1 Like

Re: Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other by smartsoft(m): 10:13am On Feb 02, 2006
not good at all too much honesty self they caused wahala, they prefer that you tell them lies than the truth

Re: Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other by christyne(f): 11:20am On Feb 02, 2006
If truely u guys are going to marry each other,there's nothing wrong in telling him/her abt ur past but the problem there is how are u so sure ur relationship will lead to marriage?Thats d problem. As for me,I must truely be IN LOVE with my guy;if I have true feelings for my guy and i feel that he has same for me,i'll tell him if not all,95% about my past and the remaining 5% will be the ones i know he's not going to hear from anyone out there cos it might lead to break up.
Re: Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other by rikkyjen(m): 6:08pm On Feb 02, 2006
There are some earth shaking and breaking secrets dat should not be divulged!!!!!
Re: Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other by funloving(m): 7:39pm On Feb 02, 2006
@rikkygen
There are some earth shaking and breaking secrets that should not be divulged!!!!!
I agree.Some things are better not being known about as long as they are not going to come out from somewhere or somebody else.

But if you think there is anything in your past that could have impact on the relationship,for example a guy who has a huge debt from a bad business he is still trying to repay or a girl who has lost her womb, I think it is only wise to tell because these are issues that are going to come out one day and affect the relationship.The sooner the other person knows about it the better,so both of you can decide the way forward before the committment gets to deep.
Re: Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other by IAH(f): 8:02pm On Feb 02, 2006
As for me, I am very secretive o! shocked shocked Before I begin to share concentrated details about my past and even present experiences, the person and I must be really close. But the thing is that once I see that I can trust someone, I bare it all.
Re: Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other by snazzydawn(f): 10:13pm On Feb 02, 2006
hmmm,sometimes you just have to let sleeping dogs lie!!!
Re: Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other by Idekeson(m): 10:41pm On Feb 02, 2006
Past secrets that are no longer part of your life should never be brought up. Stuff that happened in previous relationships only breed mistrust, even if your partner is very understanding. But any past secret that remains a part of your life eg. love child must be brought up and resolved before you proceed. It is part of who you are.
Re: Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other by hotangel2(f): 11:30pm On Feb 02, 2006
I love honest people. I also love being honest, but there are some things i will never share with a boyfriend. maybe when you become my husband... or we are serious, like serious serious. But for boyfriend, dating ish.. nuh uh.
Re: Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other by gentleaura(m): 11:46pm On Feb 02, 2006
Neways, I have been there, done that. Dont divulge all infos for someone ur just dating....
Re: Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other by funloving(m): 12:20am On Feb 03, 2006
@IAH
As for me, I am very secretive o!   Before I begin to share concentrated details about my past and even present experiences, the person and I must be really close. But the thing is that once I see that I can trust someone, I bare it all.

@hotangel
I love honest people. I also love being honest, but there are some things i will never share with a boyfriend. maybe when you become my husband... or we are serious, like serious serious. But for boyfriend, dating ish.. nuh uh.

The issue with this line of argument is that if you are already emotionally close to the person and you now bring up an unpalatable issue from your past you may rock the boat of a beautiful relationship,from which you might find very difficult to pull out off.
Imagine if you were married already and the police shows up one day to arrest your husband for  a crime he committed when he was a cult boy on campus and he never told you he was in the secret cult or your wife wakes you up one cool morning and tells you "darling,i had an abortion in the past and lost my womb" ?
Re: Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other by thupsie(m): 1:27pm On Feb 03, 2006
Bros there are some things better not said than even trying to say them it cud cause u ur life except the gurl is to EMOTIONAL!! cry
Re: Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other by nikinash(f): 4:30pm On Feb 09, 2006
well, truly some things are always better left unsaid, but it doesnt have to be deceit. but when the issues bother on key things like a girl who can't have a baby anymore or stuff like that, it should definitely be said as sson as you are sure that it is serious otherwise you may find yourself telling every nferyn, ocho and seun all your tightly held secrets only to have them dump you.
Re: Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other by Fluffy(f): 3:22pm On Feb 10, 2006
I would definately not spill my guts to a new lover, he made just get lost for all I know.

Rather wait till things get serious and I mean serious like if u wanna get married or something,
otherwise new lovers should just have a good time together and forget about their ghosts from the past. grin
Re: Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other by Rhodalyn(f): 3:19pm On Feb 22, 2006
no!!!!
u shd be straight-forward wit each other right from da start
Re: Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other by Fluffy(f): 10:27am On Mar 08, 2006
@Rhodalyn

Would u tell a new lover u've recently had a miscarriage and have sufferd from STD'S in the past?
Re: Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other by nikinash(f): 6:26pm On Mar 13, 2006
definitley no. unless u are doubly sure u are sure that he is the one.
Re: Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other by Fluffy(f): 7:22am On Mar 14, 2006
My thoughts exactly! smiley
Re: Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other by frankiriri(m): 12:39am On Feb 08, 2007
Anything in her past that doent affect our future should remain there. I only want to know of past deeds thatwould have consequences that would influence our future.

1 Like

Re: Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other by Tobiegal(f): 1:06pm On Feb 08, 2007
undecided wink
Re: Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other by peoples(m): 9:21am On Feb 09, 2007
HAPPINESS

To be happy with a man, you must understand him a lot
and love him a little.
To be happy with a woman, you must love her a lot and
not try to understand her at all.
Re: Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other by OmoEko1(f): 5:16pm On Feb 09, 2007
i think you should tell your partners about your past because it might come back and hurt u, especially if the relationship is very serious and your both looking into the future togthere wink
Re: Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other by frankiriri(m): 2:19am On Feb 11, 2007
@ peoples
I feel u grin grin grin
Re: Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other by iice(f): 12:08pm On Feb 11, 2007
Somethings are meant to remain firmly locked in the basement behind the cemented wall
Re: Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other by funkelola(f): 5:27pm On Feb 11, 2007
guess it is better to discuss eachother's past b4 going deep
Re: Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other by funkelola(f): 5:31pm On Feb 11, 2007
[color=#990000]so called secret gets out when u least expect and can mar alot of things.discuss it now and ur conscience is clear
Re: Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other by Macgreat(m): 11:33pm On Feb 11, 2007
What is a secret? when you have something in mind that you feel you have to tell someone and never did(it becomes a secret) but If you feel it's not neccesary telling anyone about it then it's not a secrect. smiley
Re: Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other by agnesoseka: 2:15pm On Feb 13, 2007
4 me, Honesty is still d best policy no matter what,so as soon as am sure its okay,i'll let my partner knw things he''/might still find out in future,cos its beta he hears frm me than frm someone else!!!! imagine hidin sometin as huge as having a child frm ur partner, wat if he finds out frm someone else, dont u tink he'll be hurt and very hurt,cos he'll feel u'v bin dishonest all along, though there r tins dat r not necesary 4 him to knw, bt important ones like that shd be made known cos na serios matteer!!!
Re: Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other by lizzy47(f): 5:46pm On Apr 19, 2007
Well, from my own opinion there is nothing hidden under the sun, so if u're in love with him/her honesty is all u need coz u can never tell where or when the so called secret will escape from. besides telling one those secrets will help u know ur faith about the relationship and not cause as much damage as it will if told at a later stage.
Therefore u have to look b4 u leep in regards to telling the secret. Some pple (especially if the person doesn't really love u) will not take it like but some others (if the person really loves u) will still stick to u.
Re: Should Lovers Keep Secrets From Their Past From Each Other by tglaz(m): 7:01am On Apr 20, 2007
it all kinda depends on the secret involved,but if you wud take my advise,its not d best.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Not Dat Pretty But I Hate Ugly Guys / If You're A Tall & Strong (muscular) Woman, Would You Love A Short & Light Man? / Just Imagine What Some Ladies Have Turned Into (snapshot)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.