Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,857 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:45 AM

What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? (9735 Views)

Poll: What is Africa's Biggest Problem?

Poverty: 5% (6 votes)
Corrupt Leaders: 67% (73 votes)
Lack Of Cooperation: 17% (19 votes)
Colonial Influence: 8% (9 votes)
Ineffective African Union: 0% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? / Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock / What Is The Biggest Problem Facing Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? by clemmonce(m): 7:13pm On Apr 23, 2012
afam4eva:
Most times when we say Africa, we're referring to black Africans and not south-african whites, egyptians, Tunisians etc.
okay
Re: What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? by farolee(m): 7:36pm On Apr 23, 2012
African biggest problem to me is lost of IDENTITY, we don't know who we really are,therefore we don't know what we want as an individual and as an Africans.Stealing billions of public funds,electoral manupractises and other social vices boil down to show how we av misplaced priorities.
Re: What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? by VickyJ: 7:40pm On Apr 23, 2012
Afrika's major problem is corruption and high level of illiteracy
Re: What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? by farolee(m): 7:46pm On Apr 23, 2012
afam4eva:
I heard this in a movie.
You long dead if GOD has left Africa.
Re: What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? by Kobojunkie: 8:07pm On Apr 23, 2012
niyo_zanl: Africans.

I vote this the most accurate response si far.
Re: What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? by Nobody: 8:37pm On Apr 23, 2012
Nigeroa [ undecided
Re: What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? by odumchi: 8:40pm On Apr 23, 2012
I think everything started with colonial influence. Had the European man never set foot on African soil, things would've been much better for us.

Here's my theory of why things are the way they are:

The advent of Europeans brought negative colonial influence which resulted in corrupt leaders. Corrupt leaders resulted in poor administration which resulted in poverty. Poverty resulted in rivalry and a lack of cooperation between social classes and countries (on a much larger scale). This lack of cooperation between countrymen and countries then resulted in an Ineffective African Union.
Re: What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? by nzube83: 9:01pm On Apr 23, 2012
goodnewz4u: POLLS:
What is Africa's Biggest Problem?
1, Poverty
2, Corrupt Leaders
3, Lack Of Cooperation
4, Colonial Influence
5, Ineffective African Union

Poverty: Africa is the poorest continent in the world. Many countries in Africa are underdeveloped. The wealth of a nation is not in their natural resources or the money they have in the foreign reserve. It is measured with the human development. How can a country boast of being rich while there is 70% of unemployment, gross domestic product is low and the balance of trade deficit is nothing to write home about. The rate of poverty in Africa is quite alarming. A country like Nigeria in Africa produces more graduates than the UK, yet the UK's GDP is higher than that of Nigeria.

A 13 year old in the US already has more work and economic experience than a 26 year old in Nigeria. She has already taken on few part time jobs, knows the value of time keeping, value of money, professional conduct and basically appreciating what the demands of the economy are.
Corrupt Leaders: Corruption has really eaten deep into fabrics of African leaders. Value system is nothing in Africa. Talk of integrity, transparency, love, time management, patriotism etc, we don't have them. When a set of leaders go, others following will continue from where they stopped and will become worse than their predecessors. For corruption to be a thing of the past in Africa, we have to work on ourselves first. When we listen to our consciences and start telling ourselves the truth, we will continue to correct ourselves and imbibe spirit of love for one another and for the country.

Colonial Influence: This is another factor that has affected Africa heavily. We have totally lost our identity. Regional culture remains the inspiration for technological development which almost certainly leads to increased economic activity for a people. So with loss of identity, there is clearly no road to citizen inspired economic change.

The British and French imperialists tactically degraded Africa’s culture during imperialism so they could sell theirs. The important ingredient of identity was hence lost by most educated Africans grossly leading to the region’s outstanding loss in global economic contribution.

China’s emergence as the world’s fastest growing economy is not a fluke and is directly linked to their decision to close their borders and develop their sense of identity with protection from the wimps of their ex-Japanese imperialists and any threat of western imperialism to their culture. The development of this sense of cultural identity and regional belief in their own self inspired their technological and subsequent economic emergence.

India is also a great case study with its rise from poverty obscurity to contributing more new billionaires in the world than any other country in the last twenty years. Indians have spent many years since the British colonization to address the issues of cultural arts reinvigoration and identity building which systemically led to the country being the hot technological Mecca it has now become.
Re: What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? by tushbobo(m): 9:04pm On Apr 23, 2012
TOO MANY LANGUAGES/CULTURES
Re: What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? by warrior101: 9:19pm On Apr 23, 2012
@OP
ALL OF THE ABOVE
Re: What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? by Nobody: 9:58pm On Apr 23, 2012
merengue: Africans are Africa's biggest problem, pure and simple.

Exactly.

odumchi: I think everything started with colonial influence. Had the European man never set foot on African soil, things would've been much better for us.

Here's my theory of why things are the way they are:

The advent of Europeans brought negative colonial influence which resulted in corrupt leaders. Corrupt leaders resulted in poor administration which resulted in poverty. Poverty resulted in rivalry and a lack of cooperation between social classes and countries (on a much larger scale). This lack of cooperation between countrymen and countries then resulted in an Ineffective African Union.

No. if Africans weren't so divisive and used their heads rather than greed there would be no way imperialists could damage Africa the way they did. Corrupt leaders are the same as their predecessors, the corrupt chiefs. Africans allied with (or should I say employed the aid of) whites in a fight against other Africans. That is the problem with Africa. Always has been, and until the people understand what UNITY is about, it always will be.
Re: What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? by babaowo: 10:11pm On Apr 23, 2012
Don Diara: Our biggest problem is the Colonial Influence, maybe i need to take us back to this post: https://www.nairaland.com/73798/legendary-harold-smith-speaks-about.
For those who don't agree that our problem is from colonial influence please read the bold part of the story.

The man Harold Smith is not new in Nigerian history. He is one of the architects of colonial foundation that midwife Nigerian independence in 1960.

I met him in a meeting three weeks ago where he opened up a bit about the lingering problem in Africa especially; Nigeria unbalanced protracted social political situations. We asked if he could make this known to the media. His response was “I am in my 80s now; I have agreed but in the past ‘they’ did not want me to say anything, but now I don’t want to go to my grave without telling the truth about the atrocities perpetrated in Africa by the colonialists.

Brothers and sisters; on Ben TV last Thursday, Harold Smith was on a program to reveal what went behind the scene before the independence. The Oxford University graduate had this to say about his role in Nigeria pre and after independence era.

‘Our agenda was to completely exploit Africa. Nigeria was my duty post. When we assessed Nigeria, this was what we found in the southern region; strength, intelligence, determination to succeed, well established history, complex but focused life style, great hope and aspirations… the East is good in business and technology, the west is good in administration and commerce, law and medicine, but it was a pity we planned our agenda to give power “at all cost” to the northerner. They seemed to be submissive and silly of a kind. Our mission was accomplished by destroying the opposition at all fronts. The west led in the fight for the independence, and was punished for asking for freedom. They will not rule Nigeria!

Harold Smith confessed that the Census results were announced before they were counted. Despite seeing vast land with no human but cattle in the north, we still gave the north 55 million instead of 32 Million. This was to be used to maintain their majority votes and future power bid. He stated that the West without Lagos was the most populous in Nigeria at that time but we ignored that. The north was seriously encouraged to go into the military. According to him, they believe that the south may attend western education, but future leaders will always come from military background. Their traditional rulers were to be made influential and super human. The northerners were given accelerated promotions both in the military and civil service to justify their superiority over the south. Everything was to work against the south. We truncated their good plan for their future. “I was very sorry for the A.G; it was a great party too much for African standard. We planned to destroy Awolowo and Azikwe well, the west and the east and sowed a seed of discord among them”. We tricked Azikwe into accepting to be president having known that Balewa will be the main man with power. Awolowo has to go to jail to cripple his genius plans for a greater Nigeria.

However, Harold Smith justified the British agenda of colonialism in Nigeria, which he believed was originally to help build Africa after the ruins of slave trade, but lamented that the British only looked after themselves and not after Nigerian interest. The British really let Nigeria down. When I see Nigerian been accused of fraud and from what I saw on the streets of Lagos; the British were worst fraudsters.

Looking at the northern leaders now he said, “If they have any agenda in Nigeria at all, sadly it is only for the north, and nothing for Nigeria. He stated that the British look after the British people and this is so all over the world. He said the time has come now to see people of intelligent minds with an open and inclusive agenda for all Nigerians in power…people who will really look after Nigerians large population…but ”I still curiously and sorrowfully see now that the British has not let go of Nigeria…her wealth,. her potentials, her future. He opined that the Caucasian people now assert themselves as the keeper of the “New Age” keys. He therefore said that it is only logical for Europeans to maintain their position of power, scientific superiority, economic exploitation, they must continue to perpetuate their lies and falsehoods and this is the most unkindest cut of all in relation to Nigeria situation!

According to him, Nigeria, a great nation was crippled not because of military juntas or corrupt leaders alone but by the British and American fear of Nigeria great future. He confessed, “The fear of the place that will be our ‘dumping ground’ really occupied our minds”.

Some of the things he said were not new to Nigerians or to the whole world but hearing it from the horse’s mouth is quite revealing and established more reality zones. He finally submitted that the colonial masters have caused havoc while they were in Africa, and planted timed bombs when they finally left. What we see since independence, the administration of new internal colonial masters by fellow Nigerians holding sway in power is doing more damage to Nigeria. Instead of detonating the time bombs planted by the British, the north is planting mines.

He added that ‘It was my duty to carry out all of the above and I was loyal to my country. Nigerians should try to be loyal to their country leaders and followers alike. Love your country. You have got the potentials to be great again and the whole world knows this’.

My question is, where do we go from here ? How can we fight against the colonial influence ?
Re: What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? by babaowo: 10:14pm On Apr 23, 2012
^^^^ blunth truth.
Re: What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? by babaowo: 10:21pm On Apr 23, 2012
I keep saying westerners are the most part of our problems,but because some nigerians are very lower in IQ; may be above confessions will wake up some people.
Re: What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? by logic101: 11:33pm On Apr 23, 2012
[quote author=babaowo][/quote]
Telling an average nigerian this is like trying to get blood out of stone.
Re: What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? by igbo2011(m): 11:48pm On Apr 23, 2012
1. Neocolonialism
2. Religion
3. Education
4. Import everything instead of buying locally made products

Join the movement to fix Nigeria www.nigerianedp.com
Re: What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? by odumchi: 11:48pm On Apr 23, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

Exactly.

No. if Africans weren't so divisive and used their heads rather than greed there would be no way imperialists could damage Africa the way they did. Corrupt leaders are the same as their predecessors, the corrupt chiefs. Africans allied with (or should I say employed the aid of) whites in a fight against other Africans. That is the problem with Africa. Always has been, and until the people understand what UNITY is about, it always will be.

Looking at it from my perspective, African leaders were quite content and capable in the days prior to the coming of the Europeans. The African mindset to leadership, at this time, was that power rested within the will of the people. Leaders were meant to serve their people, and this they did effectively. This reminds me of King Afonso of Kongo who, after realizing the devastating effect Atlantic slavery had on his people, forbade all slave dealings with his "brother" the King of Portugal, in an attempt to save his people. He is, arguably, an example of a 'true African monarch' who willingly forfeits his personal desires for the health of his people.

This mindset to leadership was uprooted by the Europeans (particularly the Portuguese, French, and Spanish) who believed in absolute monarchies and the 'divine right to rule'. Compare the French Louis XIV (the "sun king" who oppressed millions in order to maintain his power) to King Afonso of Kongo ad determine which of these is more corrupt than the other.

European greed and their 'culture of corruption' was what corrupted African leaders. Prior to their coming, Nigerian kingdoms and states existed in perfect balance. There were those states that were strong (interior) and there were others that were weak (coastal). The weak knew their place and their leaders behaved accordingly. However, with the advent of European goods and guns, the coastal states grew in strength and began to challenge the interior states (who weren't armed with European weapons). The Europeans disrupted this harmony and allied themselves with the weaker coastal states in order to destroy the more powerful states of the interior.

In actuality, the Africans were not the ones who manipulated each other, however the Europeans manipulated the Africans in order to gain their desires (slaves, gold, colonies). African chieftains and rulers only viewed the Europeans their allies and were ignorant of their own sinister goals (or at least until it was too late). Before the coastal states knew it, they were annexed into European protection (in our case, the Southern Nigeria Protectorate) and were soon amalgamated with the interior states they had earlier rivaled. The Europeans later changed everything socially (as described in Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart); changing the role of the leader from one of guidance in which power was derived from the people, to one in which the individual is the source of power.

Fast forward many years, and here we are: hunger, violence, competition, poverty, disease, corruption, etc.

1 Like

Re: What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? by Rossikk(m): 11:54pm On Apr 23, 2012
Look, the very day we decided to (or were forced/brainwashed/'educated' to) JETTISON our indigenous systems of self governance, replacing same with foreign, western systems, was the day we KILLED off ethics in our society.

I mean, if you went into the USA today and forcibly replaced their political/administrative system with something from North Korea or Burma, how do you think the Americans would treat the new system? It would be regarded as an absurd system best manouvered by its ABUSE.

It would be regarded as foreign. Impractical. It would cause confusion everywhere. It would run contrary to local sensibilities and social mores. It would generally overturn everything, and the previously integrated, coherent nation would turn a shambles.

This is exactly what has happened in Africa. Because our governance and administrative system is top-down, wholesale imported, no one feels any compunction to uphold it's values or tenets, or even it's workability. It's seen (subconsciously by ourselves) as an absurd imposition, one to exploit for personal gain, and little more.

Every African walks around with TWO personalities.

1) The traditional, upright personality in which stealing and looting is anathema and a crime, when committed or attempted within a traditional setting, like his village or clan, or family. It is a cause of shame, drawing opprobrium on one's self and family.

2) The 'modern, imported' personality in which stealing and looting constitute the height of wisdom, where he is in an imported social administrative setting, such as in a state or federal govt administration, or in a civil service office, or working as a policeman. Or customs officer. In those imported administrative settings, corruption is RIFE. In fact your own family and village elders will actively urge you to vandalize the system for your private benefit. It's almost as though we hold a subconscious grudge and anger at the imposition of the foreign system that we derive pleasure and gratification in vandalizing it. Its moralistic tenets we mock. It's call to probity we deride and ignore. It's foundational principles we pay mere lip service to. It's loopholes we relentlessly exploit. It's sanctions we egregiously flout. When we return to our villages we are HAILED, and even given CHIEFTAINCY TITLES for our ability to abuse those systems. Widespread corruption in fact could be seen as the manifestation of an underlying, silent rejection by the African collective, of the imposition of foreign social and administrative conventions on the African people.
Re: What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? by odumchi: 11:55pm On Apr 23, 2012
igbo2011: 1. Neocolonialism
2. Religion
3. Education
4. Import everything instead of buying locally made products

Join the movement to fix Nigeria www.nigerianedp.com

What you just wrote is the essence of neo-colonialism. Our former colonial masters ravaged our lands and used our materials to develop and improve their native-lands, leaving us with whatever we have today.

That's exactly what France is doing to much of French-West Africa. Look at Guinea. Everything there is French backed; the government, the currency, the military, the economy. And at the same time, France has a share in Guinea's resources and continues to sell goods (often on credit) to poor Guinea, furthering the cycle of economic-colonialism.

I'm telling you, were oil a valuable product back in the 19th century, the British would've found a way to suck up every drop of it and send it back to Britain.
Re: What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? by Dede1(m): 12:00am On Apr 24, 2012
The example of wicked colonial influence is the country called Nigeria. There is no basis for unity in Nigeria. Even one of the British Governor-General, Sir Arthur Richard, said that “it is only the accident of British suzerainty which has made Nigeria a country”.

Yet many dingbats out of Nigeria will shout tribal bigot when a person suggests disintegration of cesspit called Nigeria into nation states.
Re: What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? by logic101: 12:34am On Apr 24, 2012
Dede1: The example of wicked colonial influence is the country called Nigeria. There is no basis for unity in Nigeria. Even one of the British Governor-General, Sir Arthur Richard, said that “it is only the accident of British suzerainty which has made Nigeria a country”.

Yet many dingbats out of Nigeria will shout tribal bigot when a person suggests disintegration of cesspit called Nigeria into nation states.
Dude whether nigeria was amalagamated or not does not change the fact that there are factors from outside the continent which contribute to our sorry state now.
Re: What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? by whizkid10(m): 12:44am On Apr 24, 2012
Religion...Especially Islam.
Re: What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? by agiboma(f): 2:25am On Apr 24, 2012
CORRUPTION
Re: What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? by ektbear: 3:42am On Apr 24, 2012
Eh...mostly lack of electricity, poor roads, infrastructure.

Why these things suck in Africa is another question..I don't really know the answer.
Re: What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? by igbo2011(m): 4:07am On Apr 24, 2012
odumchi:

What you just wrote is the essence of neo-colonialism. Our former colonial masters ravaged our lands and used our materials to develop and improve their native-lands, leaving us with whatever we have today.

That's exactly what France is doing to much of French-West Africa. Look at Guinea. Everything there is French backed; the government, the currency, the military, the economy. And at the same time, France has a share in Guinea's resources and continues to sell goods (often on credit) to poor Guinea, furthering the cycle of economic-colonialism.

I'm telling you, were oil a valuable product back in the 19th century, the British would've found a way to suck up every drop of it and send it back to Britain.

I agree, the west puts in their puppets to get cheap resources and to keep Africa colonised economically and politically. They need us more than we need them. That is why they killed Gaddaffi and overthrw Gbagbo, they are just puppets.
Re: What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? by mekaboy(m): 9:28am On Apr 24, 2012
!LIES !!LIES !!!LIES- YES THATS THE PROBLEM WITH AFRICA, IF NOBODY TOLD A LIE IN NIGERIA, IN 2YEARS NIGERIA WILL COMPETE WITH AMERICA , UK , EUROPE, ANY COUNTRY OR CONTINENT IN THE WORLD.

ITS AS SIMPLE AS THAT LIES, WHY DO PEOPLE GIVE BRIBE ? TO GET PEOPLE TO LIE, IF NOBODY LIED THERE WONT BE NEED FOR BRIBE. EVERY THIEF LIES, IF YOU DONT LIE YOU WILL BE CAUGHT.
Re: What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? by iloike(m): 10:12am On Apr 24, 2012
abubaka101: Africa's biggest problem is definitely Lack of Co-operation. Lack of Co-operation causes the other factors the op mentioned, to come into existence.
Cause when everyone is co-operating, they'll be doing things accordingly, and when they do these things constitutionally, Africa will be great.
If we had co-operated, there would have being no reason for NATO, to invade Libya and blow "unarmed" areas, killing innocent civilians.
If we can co-operate, poverty will be easily eradicated.
If we can co-operate, the African Union would'nt be so "Incompetent".
If we can co-operate, there'll be no reason why will need "AID" from "WESTERN DONORS".
So its definitely "LACK OF CO-OPERATION"!
I agree to a large extent- if we can work together for good of every one, belive me. no problem will last longer than they appear
Re: What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? by jay2smart19(m): 11:07am On Apr 24, 2012
Its unfortunate we can only pick one out of all those set backs to vote on. This continent and my country in particular lack most of the ingridients to make it move. No one wants to sacrifice for the benefit of all. Corruption, greed, lack of integrity and segrigation is our major problems. I dnt see these things dying in any near future cos parent teach their wards to be greedy and greed leads to curruption. A kid lost his pen and d mom told him to get a new on same way his got lost. What wil dat kid grow up to be? Dats at home. U watch tv, all d news talk abt hw currupt d nation is. A nine yrs old frnd of mine told me if he becomz president, he will hav money like our past one. I told him no. D work of a president is to make d nation grow. He said hw cumz d natin is nt like what he sees in movies and on dish.? I wil make money like dem too. Tell me hw u can change an adult when a kid is nt convinced that curruption is evil becos it cumz wit d cheez
Re: What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? by sammirano: 11:44am On Apr 24, 2012
all of the above
Re: What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? by TheDefender: 12:16pm On Apr 24, 2012
9jadelta:
hatred and racism is not only an african thing... Its world wide thing
l know, but we are focusing on africa now not the entire world.
Re: What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? by TheDefender: 12:34pm On Apr 24, 2012
Africa has no biggest problem. We can only list some of the problems because all our problems are big and mighty.
Re: What Is Africa's Biggest Problem? by ijebabe: 12:56pm On Apr 24, 2012
Who said Africa has one problem I can not speak for the whole of Africa but for Nigeria we have so many issues that even God doesn't know from where to start to save us!!! Ignorance of power hungry fools is at the top of the list. Corruption is everywhere but the difference between other countries and Nigeria is that others steal and still spend money on their citizens at least to turn attention away from their theivery. Naija government will steal from you and not provide basic amenities for survival. Steal if you must but where is our cut smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ernest Shonekan Celebrates His 79th Birthday / Boko Haram: 37 People Killed, 400 Houses Burnt In Borno Town / PDP Leaders Dismiss Purported Sack Of Chief Olisa Metuh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.