Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,053 members, 7,810,931 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:38 PM

Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... - Agriculture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... (87561 Views)

Poll: Which is the best feed?

Coppens. From holland!.: 69% (18 votes)
Chi feed. from ibadan!: 15% (4 votes)
Durante. From ibadan!: 11% (3 votes)
zeigler from usa!: 0% (0 votes)
Vita feed from jos: 3% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Investment In Catfish Farming (things you need to know) / Catfish Farming: My Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by aquatic1(m): 7:29am On Sep 23, 2012
omochefran: Pls I am resident in benue how do I get a prof. To build the pond for me since I want to start small as advised.

Our consultancy arm can be of help, help you start from scratch, you can visit our website for more information www.araratnigeria.gnbo.com.ng or call 08053018934 or 07089391123.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by Theyjih: 12:22pm On Sep 23, 2012
Bros ur site no dey exist oh!
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by distinct00: 8:39am On Sep 24, 2012
Thanks Theyjih for the reply, please is there any farmer in the house whose farm is around abule egba.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by aquatic1(m): 11:07am On Sep 24, 2012
Theyjih: Bros ur site no dey exist oh!

Bros, the website is working perfectly, maybe you check it wrongly, you can recheck.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by Theyjih: 11:29am On Sep 24, 2012
aquatic1:

Bros, the website is working perfectly, maybe you check it wrongly, you can recheck.
working perfekly well now.. guess it was down when i checked it
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by Catarium: 4:11am On Sep 25, 2012
Pls can anyone help me out here? I need to know if its safe to feed my fish early in d mornin and late evenin. Thanks.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by outseba(m): 3:44pm On Sep 28, 2012
Thanks Awesome for ur reply,I'v constructed and I stocked abt a month ago wit juveniles..recently commenced on 3mm feed frm durante..noticed dt I recorded sme deaths sparingly like 3 @ a time but in d past mnth 20 in all...wat wld b d reasn? I also treated wit aquaceryl plus for 5 days..mixed it wit thr feed...next question...I'm been advised to continue feedin wit coppen or durante 3mm upto 4.5mm b4 I introduce local feeds,does it sound nice?if not wat r ur tips...am hapi as dey r growin and cnt wait...pls awaitin ur response thanks
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by outseba(m): 3:46pm On Sep 28, 2012
Catarium: Pls can anyone help me out here? I need to know if its safe to feed my fish early in d mornin and late evenin. Thanks.
dnt see anything wrong wit it..I feed in d mornin btw 8-9am and evenin btw 3-4pm...imo(humble)
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by outseba(m): 3:55pm On Sep 28, 2012
Tawa-Temi:
My fishes are ready for sale, yipeeee grin grin

wow....congrats and hw mch did u sell / kg....?
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by TawaTemi1(f): 10:29pm On Sep 28, 2012
out seba: wow....congrats and hw mch did u sell / kg....?

N480/kg and d smaller ones are btw N460-N470 depending on d power of bargaining. My neighbours that came to buy btw 1kg-3kg paid N500-N550 per kg grin grin grin
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by MrAwesome1(m): 12:41pm On Oct 01, 2012
out seba: Thanks Awesome for ur reply,I'v constructed and I stocked abt a month ago wit juveniles..recently commenced on 3mm feed frm durante..noticed dt I recorded sme deaths sparingly like 3 @ a time but in d past mnth 20 in all...wat wld b d reasn? I also treated wit aquaceryl plus for 5 days..mixed it wit thr feed...next question...I'm been advised to continue feedin wit coppen or durante 3mm upto 4.5mm b4 I introduce local feeds,does it sound nice?if not wat r ur tips...am hapi as dey r growin and cnt wait...pls awaitin ur response thanks

Its nice to hear that u finally started ur farm. We that catfish are very rugged and that they can withstand harsh weather conditions,poor water management and diseases;but they are not totally immune to all d above mentioned conditions. So,it's normal to lose few of ur fish before harvest.
Although,u didn't say d size of ur ond and how many juveniles u stocked but I'm just gonna assume u didn't over crowd ur pond. Having said that,I'm gonna try to answer ur questions as much as I can.
1)During raining season,there's usually a reduction of d PH level in ponds and direct(not from reservoirs) bore hole water;and that may be d reason why u lost few of ur fishes thus far but u can't also rule out d amount of dissolved oxygen and diseases all together. I also do not recommend fish medicine in fancy packages cos I really can't say for sure how potent these medicines are. Personally,I Tetracycline (Red and Yellow) capsules and it works perfect for me cos I think tetra is a broad spectrum drug for d prevention & treatment of most catfish diseases(although it doesn't work for all cases) and in the long run it's cheaper. I mix 20-50 capsules to their daily meal depending on what I want.
(2)Yes,it is safe to start feeding local feed at about the time they start consuming 4.5mm feed but if u mill d feed urself and u'r sure of d nutritional content,u can even introduce d local feed 1 month after socking fingerlings,but be sure to mix or mill d feed urself cos u can't be too sure of generic local feed from random feed mills.
Also,be aware that d nutritional content of local feed that can be fed to small fish is quite different from that of slightly bigger ones. Protein content of feed for post fingerlings should be 45-50% and that of juveniles of 3months and above should be 30-45%

P.S: No matter how small ur farm is, always have a small pelleting machine to mill ur own feed,cos u can't break-even by using only foreign feed.

2 Likes

Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by outseba(m): 2:01pm On Oct 01, 2012
Mr. Awesome:

Its nice to hear that u finally started ur farm. We that catfish are very rugged and that they can withstand harsh weather conditions,poor water management and diseases;but they are not totally immune to all d above mentioned conditions. So,it's normal to lose few of ur fish before harvest.
Although,u didn't say d size of ur ond and how many juveniles u stocked but I'm just gonna assume u didn't over crowd ur pond. Having said that,I'm gonna try to answer ur questions as much as I can.
1)During raining season,there's usually a reduction of d PH level in ponds and direct(not from reservoirs) bore hole water;and that may be d reason why u lost few of ur fishes thus far but u can't also rule out d amount of dissolved oxygen and diseases all together. I also do not recommend fish medicine in fancy packages cos I really can't say for sure how potent these medicines are. Personally,I Tetracycline (Red and Yellow) capsules and it works perfect for me cos I think tetra is a broad spectrum drug for d prevention & treatment of most catfish diseases(although it doesn't work for all cases) and in the long run it's cheaper. I mix 20-50 capsules to their daily meal depending on what I want.
(2)Yes,it is safe to start feeding local feed at about the time they start consuming 4.5mm feed but if u mill d feed urself and u'r sure of d nutritional content,u can even introduce d local feed 1 month after socking fingerlings,but be sure to mix or mill d feed urself cos u can't be too sure of generic local feed from random feed mills.
Also,be aware that d nutritional content of local feed that can be fed to small fish is quite different from that of slightly bigger ones. Protein content of feed for post fingerlings should be 45-50% and that of juveniles of 3months and above should be 30-45%

P.S: No matter how small ur farm is, always have a small pelleting machine to mill ur own feed,cos u can't break-even by using only foreign feed.
thanks so very mch....will keep in touch
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by miqos02(m): 3:11pm On Oct 01, 2012
@awesome

can you help on constructing a pelleting machine?
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by MrAwesome1(m): 5:23pm On Oct 01, 2012
miqos02: @awesome

can you help on constructing a pelleting machine?

I don't fabricate pelleting machines but I'm sure if u need one,u could find it at Aba,Enugu or Lagos.I recently bought a small one with a 5 horspower electric motor at Aba for 55k.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by miqos02(m): 8:47pm On Oct 01, 2012
Mr. Awesome:

I don't fabricate pelleting machines but I'm sure if u need one,u could find it at Aba,Enugu or Lagos.I recently bought a small one with a 5 horspower electric motor at Aba for 55k.
I stay in lagos.I don't know where to get It here
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by outseba(m): 8:53pm On Oct 01, 2012
Pls awesome,Tawa-temi,migos etc...wld really want us to further establish a solid communication netwrk...maybe via BB dt in no way means we hv stopped using dis forum...and also would want to knw whr u guys r located pls...thanks.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by ExportResource(m): 1:16pm On Oct 02, 2012
Kindly send me your conatcts asap. Thanks.

tuniski: We @ msbfisheries our is the higher value chain activities in catfish biz as we buy off our customers output @ harvest provided you are originally our clients however with spare capacity we then buy from others outside our clientele base. We process some and sell most directly to our network of consumers with d long term drive of exporting accross our shores.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by TawaTemi1(f): 11:08pm On Oct 02, 2012
out seba: Pls awesome,Tawa-temi,migos etc...wld really want us to further establish a solid communication netwrk...maybe via BB dt in no way means we hv stopped using dis forum...and also would want to knw whr u guys r located pls...thanks.
@out seba,Send your PIN.
@aramyjay,sowie Boss cos u are right about the BB group. I noticed u are hardly here nowadays and your experience, expertise and consult are highly missed and needed. Can u pls send your PIN & Needle? grin grin
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by outseba(m): 12:43pm On Oct 03, 2012
[quote author=Tawa-Temi]
@out seba,Send your PIN.
@aramyjay,sowie Boss cos u are right about the BB group. I noticed u are hardly here nowadays and your experience, expertise and consult are highly missed and needed. Can u pls send your PIN & Needle?
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by TawaTemi1(f): 11:08pm On Oct 03, 2012
out seba: ....Dr. Seby is my name...

I have sent a request,my name is Temitope.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by TawaTemi1(f): 11:18pm On Oct 03, 2012
I just ordered for new Juveniles which was delivered today. The selling price was N16. So for newbies that are going into Catfish farming,the selling price should be btw N15-N18. Pls make sure they didn't sell fingerlings for you at that price.

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by cooldudeng(m): 4:56pm On Nov 13, 2012
Tawa-Temi:
I just ordered for new Juveniles which was delivered today. The selling price was N16. So for newbies that are going into Catfish farming,the selling price should be btw N15-N18. Pls make sure they didn't sell fingerlings for you at that price.

Am about ordering from a supplier close to the farm i will be using, can you kindly furnish me with the percentage of mortality to expect. Details of the offer is stated below.

4000 post fingerlings @ N13 per one with 5% mortality free. Please is this a fair deal?
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by miqos02(m): 1:10pm On Nov 14, 2012
pls how can i fabricate small pelleting machine
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by TawaTemi1(f): 9:14pm On Nov 14, 2012
cooldudeng:

Am about ordering from a supplier close to the farm i will be using, can you kindly furnish me with the percentage of mortality to expect. Details of the offer is stated below.

4000 post fingerlings @ N13 per one with 5% mortality free. Please is this a fair deal?

I think it is a fair deal. It is ok.
As per d mortality, that depends on u. Don't over stock them I.e don't put too much fishes in a pond. The water must not be too dirty, feed them well and the mortality may be fairly low.
Also, d source of farm is important. If the fishes are healthy, then no problem.
Goodluck!
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by cooldudeng(m): 11:00pm On Nov 14, 2012
Tawa-Temi:

I think it is a fair deal. It is ok.
As per d mortality, that depends on u. Don't over stock them I.e don't put too much fishes in a pond. The water must not be too dirty, feed them well and the mortality may be fairly low.
Also, d source of farm is important. If the fishes are healthy, then no problem.
Goodluck!

Really appreciate the response. i will be using an earthern pond and i fink its quite large to accomodate them for 2 months before I sort and move the fast growers to a larger pond. Please, i need more advice on the estimated cost to feed them for 2 months(broken down monthly). I know arramjay as done a good job with the formular for estimating the required feed, i just need a real life data based on your experience cos of the below highlighted shortcomings on arramjay calculations and as explained by dendavid .

1 The fishes grow daily and since i wont be able to take their measurement daily based on the difficulty with management in a big earthen pond and also, i wont want to stress the fishes, hence i wont be able to know what the 10% of the BW will be

2. I have stumble across several sites (coppens inclusive) that estimate a 5% BW feed rate as against @jay 10% (not like he's wrong cos i believe it's based on his experiences), hence i will like to establish a variable i could play around with by comparing more real life datas.

Apolozies if i sound too scientific but thats as a result of my background.

General house feedback is welcome cos no man or woman is an Island we all learn everyday.

Also, am a newbie but we all get to start someday and mine is now

Kindly assist in the making of my own success story
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by TawaTemi1(f): 10:26pm On Nov 15, 2012
@Cooldudeng,I'm sorry cos I may not be able to answer all ur questions. I use concrete and not earthen pond. All I know is that fishes tends to do well and grow faster in earthen pond cos its more like their natural habitat.
I also feed with Aquafeed and not coppens, don't get me wrong, Coppens is good but as for me, I prefer Aqua cos the fishes grow faster(I have used both).
I learnt more on this thread and d comments made really helped me a lot,I also called arramyjay and few other guys that I saw their numbers on this thread and the response and answers to my questions were not only helpful but assisted in my making profit in my first harvest, all at NO cost,just my credit. I'm a lady with no prior experience in catfish farming, except of cos d two tiny fishes in my dad's acquarium,lol. So I will advice u start from pg1 maybe u will get d answers to ur other questions.
Goodluck!
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by miqos02(m): 5:05am On Nov 16, 2012
@tawa.can I get aqua feed in lagos
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by TawaTemi1(f): 11:43pm On Nov 16, 2012
miqos02: @tawa.can I get aqua feed in lagos
Of cos yes!
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by ikooko(m): 11:44pm On Nov 16, 2012
Hello guys, hope we doing fine in our various farms?
This is another dry season with its own characteristic challenges for fish farmers. Ie availability of water, temparature etc etc. I also observed that marketing is bad right now, buyers offering btw #180-#250 as against #400-#500 in the last 2months.
Let us compare notes for a sucessful dry season farming.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by TawaTemi1(f): 12:01am On Nov 17, 2012
ikooko: Hello guys, hope we doing fine in our various farms?
This is another dry season with its own characteristic challenges for fish farmers. Ie availability of water, temparature etc etc. I also observed that marketing is bad right now, buyers offering btw #180-#250 as against #400-#500 in the last 2months.
Let us compare notes for a sucessful dry season farming.
N180-N250, are u kidding me? I sold 1kg for N470 barely 2weeks ago for a friend.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by ikooko(m): 12:17am On Nov 17, 2012
Tawa-Temi:

N180-N250, are u kidding me? I sold 1kg for N470 barely 2weeks ago for a friend.
I have two cases at hand, well this is ibadan market, and we are approaching dry season.rain has not been predictable this year so many fish farmers around here do not want to risk problem of water shortage, so everybody is floading the market with different sizes and shapes. What do u expect the marketers to do?
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by miqos02(m): 8:04am On Nov 17, 2012
Tawa-Temi:

Of cos yes!
I can't find it in ibafo area where do you get in lagos.and by the way does it mean u don't use local feeds

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Strange Bird Killed By Fulani / Giant Fish Caught In Lake At IITA Ibadan. / Mysterious Bat With A Horse-like Face Found In Fish Pond (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.