Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,912 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:16 PM

Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... - Agriculture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... (87559 Views)

Poll: Which is the best feed?

Coppens. From holland!.: 69% (18 votes)
Chi feed. from ibadan!: 15% (4 votes)
Durante. From ibadan!: 11% (3 votes)
zeigler from usa!: 0% (0 votes)
Vita feed from jos: 3% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Investment In Catfish Farming (things you need to know) / Catfish Farming: My Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 8:15am On May 20, 2012
Gudmrng all,can I just write this,I got some very funny emails people asking me some very ridiculous questions, 3 of the emails I got were basically about feeding, "120-250 naira to feed a fish to 1kg" I really don't know how that came to be true but let me again lay emphasis on this that becos bros yakubu or bros chukudi,or bros shiminifila uses tht method to feed his fishes and it works doesn't mean it will work for u,careful as so many people go into dis business without the foggist idea on what to do.

If you like to go into dis business please sit down with a pro do ur analysis or feasibilities and then proceed.[color=#990000][/color]

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by digi101(m): 4:14pm On May 20, 2012
I've been quietly following this thread for quite a while and i must say its educative, a big thanks to the op for such a productive thread.
Been running a few test runs in the back of my yard while developing my farm site, this set is my second run. I have the 2m fiber tanks (2 nos.). I learnt a lot from my first experience and am using the second time to see how much i've learnt. All has been well for one and a half month, then suddenly my shooters which are in one of my tanks have just started killing each other! i mean they just target like two start ripping of there fins cry. I really dont understand what happened. Ive been feeding them on durante feed throughout, and they feed three times a day and i never miss. Now they just are not interested in the feed, and the worst part is when they kill a fish they wont even eat it angry. Has anyone ever had this kind of experience?
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 4:59pm On May 20, 2012
digi101: I've been quietly following this thread for quite a while and i must say its educative, a big thanks to the op for such a productive thread.
Been running a few test runs in the back of my yard while developing my farm site, this set is my second run. I have the 2m fiber tanks (2 nos.). I learnt a lot from my first experience and am using the second time to see how much i've learnt. All has been well for one and a half month, then suddenly my shooters which are in one of my tanks have just started killing each other! i mean they just target like two start ripping of there fins cry. I really dont understand what happened. Ive been feeding them on durante feed throughout, and they feed three times a day and i never miss. Now they just are not interested in the feed, and the worst part is when they kill a fish they wont even eat it angry. Has anyone ever had this kind of experience?

In a pond where there are shooters sort as often as possible,they only kill other when they are over crowded or see an injured one or a weak 1 and since dey dnt eat even a chunk of their fella they kill, I suggest first checking your pH, ammonia, and nitrite levels to be sure they're ok, and do they feed enough?feeding 4times a day doesn't mean they eat what u give them.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 7:19pm On May 21, 2012
Have u checked?
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by digi101(m): 8:16pm On May 21, 2012
still on it. Funny enough its not overcrowding, i have 200 average size of 250g in a 2m circular tank with a dept of 3 feet. I do a 25% water change in the morning and night so i really dont think its the water (unfortunately i dont know where to get the kits in ibadan). Prior to this they usually were sane and ate normally, now they really dont eat much but just keep chasing after each other and killing! I took out all injured and dead yesterday evening, as at tonight i already spotted like 2 to 3 new causalities with serious bite marks. This is really turning into a major lesson shocked
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by BlackBaron: 10:26pm On May 21, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pADisrYX4GE

Interesting video. Might help
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 4:38am On May 22, 2012
digi101: still on it. Funny enough its not overcrowding, i have 200 average size of 250g in a 2m circular tank with a dept of 3 feet. I do a 25% water change in the morning and night so i really dont think its the water (unfortunately i dont know where to get the kits in ibadan). Prior to this they usually were sane and ate normally, now they really dont eat much but just keep chasing after each other and killing! I took out all injured and dead yesterday evening, as at tonight i already spotted like 2 to 3 new causalities with serious bite marks. This is really turning into a major lesson shocked

Yo boss I posted what u can do,but dnt know why it shows post hidden,come on yahoo messenger let's chat there.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by deandavid(m): 4:40am On May 23, 2012
bros abeg i hav a qtn, wat if after testing the water, nd d ammonia nd nitrite is higher than normal, wat do i do 2 correct d water, if i dnt want to change it?
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by deandavid(m): 5:02am On May 23, 2012
arramyjay:

Weight of 1 fish*10%*total amount of fish u hv in ur pond, will give u d total amount u are suppose to feed them all per day.
bros i dnt understand dis calculations o. I tot its supose 2 b wf *10%/100*num of fish. Bros abeg clear me o
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by deandavid(m): 5:26am On May 23, 2012
bro can we say d cooler the temperature, the more they ll be active nd hence, tend to eat more?because i noticed, fishes are more active in cool evening.is dis true?
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 8:24am On May 23, 2012
deandavid: bros abeg i hav a qtn, wat if after testing the water, nd d ammonia nd nitrite is higher than normal, wat do i do 2 correct d water, if i dnt want to change it?
This is what causes nitrite rise in water o
Nitrite levels will rise due to overfeeding or over populating. Are u using a tank? Many new tanks experience high levels of nitrites. change 25% of your water everyday until the levels drop.And the fishes release ammonia as waste so if u dnt change ya water then of course they will be high concentration of ammonia na bros.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 8:27am On May 23, 2012
deandavid: bros i dnt understand dis calculations o. I tot its supose 2 b wf *10%/100*num of fish. Bros abeg clear me o

Read it again.
If u dnt understand these then......
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 8:30am On May 23, 2012
deandavid: bro can we say d cooler the temperature, the more they ll be active nd hence, tend to eat more?because i noticed, fishes are more active in cool evening.is dis true?

The higher d temp the more active they become. Becos at higher temp d oxygen bonds doesn't decompact easily.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by deandavid(m): 11:06am On May 23, 2012
arramyjay:

Weight of 1 fish*10%*total amount of fish u hv in ur pond, will give u d total amount u are suppose to feed them all per day.
come o, wat do u mean, if my fish weighs 5g nd i stocked abt 1000 fish nd if i use 10%, are u sayin am 2 feed my fish 50000g approx. 50kg of feed/day? Oboy check am na,no go work like dat.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 1:12pm On May 23, 2012
deandavid: come o, wat do u mean, if my fish weighs 5g nd i stocked abt 1000 fish nd if i use 10%, are u sayin am 2 feed my fish 50000g approx. 50kg of feed/day? Oboy check am na,no go work like dat.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by deandavid(m): 2:32pm On May 24, 2012
arramyjay:

Christ I cant believe this

5g*10/100*1000 is = 500g which is 5kg per day, ur maths teacher should be taken to court boss.
bros na ur maths teacher dem go flog 4 ynash. 500g is nt equal to 5kg,bt 0.5kg sir.bros Check well abeg 500g/1000 wch is conversion of g to kg. Or am i confusing myself?

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by transponder: 7:32pm On May 24, 2012
Guys, Please help me out.I have 2,500 cathfish fingerlings, i stocked them a month ago. Can i give them 4mm vital feed now? I will appreciate any help.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by digi101(m): 7:51pm On May 24, 2012
sorry been a bit busy so havent had time to follow up d thread. woukd still luv to hear ur solution though i have made up my mind to smoke the problematic batch tomorrow
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 8:51pm On May 24, 2012
deandavid: bros na ur maths teacher dem go flog 4 ynash. 500g is nt equal to 5kg,bt 0.5kg sir.bros Check well abeg 500g/1000 wch is conversion of g to kg. Or am i confusing myself?
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 8:53pm On May 24, 2012
digi101: sorry been a bit busy so havent had time to follow up d thread. woukd still luv to hear ur solution though i have made up my mind to smoke the problematic batch tomorrow

I wrote what shud be done but for some carzy reasons my post was hidden. Come on yahoo messenger 2mrw we chat there boss.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 8:56pm On May 24, 2012
transponder: Guys, Please help me out.I have 2,500 cathfish fingerlings, i stocked them a month ago. Can i give them 4mm vital feed now? I will appreciate any help.

Hmmm Vital feed nvr used it b4 but if u are using coppens I am sure they are same, by 4weeks u shud be using 2mm and 3mm now, start wit 4mm aft 6 to 7weeks.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 9:15pm On May 24, 2012
deandavid: come o, wat do u mean, if my fish weighs 5g nd i stocked abt 1000 fish nd if i use 10%, are u sayin am 2 feed my fish 50000g approx. 50kg of feed/day? Oboy check am na,no go work like dat.
Ok boss I don keep shut o,I give u formula to knw hw to cal ration for ur fishes u dey vex,ok o.ur fishes are suppose to eat 10% of their total body mass. If na book I dey sell now,nobody go question my formula,no yawa do ur own cal.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by deandavid(m): 8:08pm On May 27, 2012
arramyjay:
Ok boss I don keep shut o,I give u formula to knw hw to cal ration for ur fishes u dey vex,ok o.ur fishes are suppose to eat 10% of their total body mass. If na book I dey sell now,nobody go question my formula,no yawa do ur own cal.
bros no o, na u be master o, i just dy try to understand the maths abeg no vex. My fish will be a week old 2moro. And they are responding well to feeding.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by Theyjih: 7:31am On May 28, 2012
NIce JOB Guys !
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 8:09am On May 28, 2012
deandavid: bros no o, na u be master o, i just dy try to understand the maths abeg no vex. My fish will be a week old 2moro. And they are responding well to feeding.

On point be dat. Na formula no be maths boss.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by zeestone99(m): 9:37pm On May 28, 2012
buy your inverters/ups and batteries at affordable rates 4rm delobs electronics.....also inverters installatns n load seperatn.....just call or sms 2348184171193 for more info
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 12:35pm On May 30, 2012
zeestone99: buy your inverters/ups and batteries at affordable rates 4rm delobs electronics.....also inverters installatns n load seperatn.....just call or sms 2348184171193 for more info

In catfish farming post?
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by akonucheinfo(m): 10:49pm On May 31, 2012
hello naira landers, please am a little bit confuse here. pls i wan to know which is better, to buy fingerlins from a farm or to Hatch in your farm? Pls need answer and reasons.

My fish are eating regular, but am not yet certified with their growth rate. though, i should harvest them by July. I will like my next stocking to be SHOOTERS ONLY. dont know if i can get SHOOTERS from any Farm and how genuie it will be or Better still am thinking of Hatching in my farm. pls help me out oooo @jay, @ikooko, and friends i need your help. tnx
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by deandavid(m): 8:11am On Jun 04, 2012
well brother as a beginner i ll say u start wit shooters, but note that if u stock fingerlings, the amount you will spend to bring them to shooters level will not be up to the amount in stocking jumpers/shooters. Bt dn time na mney. Where to get good jumpers depends on the area your farm is located, if you'd gone thru previous post you will see people's advert on fingerlings,mr jay can also help you too.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Strange Bird Killed By Fulani / Giant Fish Caught In Lake At IITA Ibadan. / Mysterious Bat With A Horse-like Face Found In Fish Pond (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.