Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,127 members, 7,811,177 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:16 AM

Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... - Agriculture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... (87564 Views)

Poll: Which is the best feed?

Coppens. From holland!.: 69% (18 votes)
Chi feed. from ibadan!: 15% (4 votes)
Durante. From ibadan!: 11% (3 votes)
zeigler from usa!: 0% (0 votes)
Vita feed from jos: 3% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Investment In Catfish Farming (things you need to know) / Catfish Farming: My Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by ikooko(m): 9:15am On Jun 04, 2012
akonucheinfo: hello naira landers, please am a little bit confuse here. pls i wan to know which is better, to buy fingerlins from a farm or to Hatch in your farm? Pls need answer and reasons.

My fish are eating regular, but am not yet certified with their growth rate. though, i should harvest them by July. I will like my next stocking to be SHOOTERS ONLY. dont know if i can get SHOOTERS from any Farm and how genuie it will be or Better still am thinking of Hatching in my farm. pls help me out oooo @jay, @ikooko, and friends i need your help. tnx
Well in recent time, a lot of fish farmers are concerned about getting good breeds and many are considering hatching by themselves but really hatching is a seperate line of fish business that requires expertise. except you own a big farm it's not worth the stress. Note that every procedures has it's adv & disadv.
What i would advice is to get fingerlings from a reputable hatchery, raise them in nursary tanks and collect the shooters for your ponds. The beauty in this is that ure certain ure not stocking ronts. although it cheeper in monetary terms but when you consider material inputs and efforts, it may not be cheep.
Be patient and pray for good harvest like in any other legitimate business.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by aquatic1(m): 10:24am On Jun 04, 2012
For your fingerlings or juvenile, I have there shooters in stock also, or for home service hatching, mail me on araratnigeria@gmail.com or call 08053018934. Thanks
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by regiboy: 11:40am On Jun 04, 2012
Been following this thread for a while, quite informative. bros i'have looked on the net for info on this farm, can't seem to get any positive response. Plz, do you have the farm's phone number
arramyjay:

Das Continental Farms kumasi,u can just google it and get all u need there.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by aquatic1(m): 5:44pm On Jun 07, 2012
Hello farmers or intending farmer, drop ur pin or add me to join the catfish farmer group, where we can meet buyers and sellers, information and a lot more. 30B92C64
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by jadoo2003: 9:55pm On Jun 07, 2012
thanks for the post. In the begining of the discussion you talked about bio dics. How can I use bio dics in an earthen pond and ow effective is it when used in fish pond.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by akonucheinfo(m): 11:46pm On Jun 10, 2012
@ikooko , tnx. Reputable? where in Lagos can i get good hatchery?. if am to buy fingerlings, how many weeks old to be precise?.

Though, i have made contact with a farm who agreed to come hatch for me in my farm and at a specified amount, on the ground that he will hatch and take care of the fishes after hatching for 7weeks.

My fear is that my first stocking was fingerlings, and as i speak now,they are in the 5th month and i still cant count up to a thousand that is up to 1kg. my plan is if i hatch, i may likely get about 2500 - 3000 shooters amongst the first and send set. if able to get that amount of shooters, i will stock them and sale off the remaining from the hatching.

I wait your reply, idea. or sugestions. cos i plan to stock by the middle of this week. by God Grace.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by aquatic1(m): 12:36pm On Jun 11, 2012
@akonucheinfo, I have like 5000 fingerlings shooters I just sorted out of my ponds this morning, I don't know if you would be instrested in them, since you want to stock mid this week, if you would be intrested, call me on 08053018934. The fishes are 3weeks old today.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by akonucheinfo(m): 5:17pm On Jun 11, 2012
really? where is your farm? and how much per 1?. also i just want to ask, why do u want to sale your shooters?. i dont mean to be silly with my question, but is just that my friends told me that no farmer will sale out his shooters. i wait ur reply
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by uhuns: 12:06pm On Jun 12, 2012
Hi gurus
Can someone help to populate this below
U hatch one fish and get say X percent
Wot percent are the followin after 3wks
Shooters size 1
Shooters size 2
Nomal size 1
Nomal size 2
There seem to be a craze for shooter which I believe is in small quantity
Who then buys the other I believe is up to 70percent

Given that havest is 4mth ,wot percentage does this represents
From my experience major havest is at 7mths ie that's when you sell at lest 70percent of your product
Thus this bussiness hype is gud for feed and market sellers mainly
Am a backyard farmer of 5yrs and a stocking capacity of 2000fish
But for profit making would recomend a 5000min fish farm.
simple analysis using backward intergration and a profit of 30k per mth after all cost price removed.

I would like to share notes with anyone on contrary findins

I currently hav 3kg sizes not for sale
And stay in ph
Nb. This is my personal opinion and am no way an athourity in this field and not a seller of any sought.
But for free assistance osaota4725@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by aquatic1(m): 1:39pm On Jun 12, 2012
@akonucheinfo, its 10 for one, and am selling the shooters because am not stocking for now, and I need to sell my fish out, and my farm is at ipaja lagos, u can give me a call.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by deandavid(m): 4:24am On Jun 13, 2012
Hey pros, i got a little problem to share with u guys, my fish are in their 3rd week and i noticed that some are having bruises on their body, what do u guys think is the cause and what should i do to stop it.thank you.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by Theyjih: 7:08am On Jun 14, 2012
is there any shrimp farmer on here? i intend starting a polyculture system (subsistence for now) soon wld love to get the cost analysis thanks
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 7:46am On Jun 14, 2012
ikooko:
Well in recent time, a lot of fish farmers are concerned about getting good breeds and many are considering hatching by themselves but really hatching is a seperate line of fish business that requires expertise. except you own a big farm it's not worth the stress. Note that every procedures has it's adv & disadv.
What i would advice is to get fingerlings from a reputable hatchery, raise them in nursary tanks and collect the shooters for your ponds. The beauty in this is that ure certain ure not stocking ronts. although it cheeper in monetary terms but when you consider material inputs and efforts, it may not be cheep.
Be patient and pray for good harvest like in any other legitimate business.

True.

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 8:45am On Jun 14, 2012
regiboy: Been following this thread for a while, quite informative. bros i'have looked on the net for info on this farm, can't seem to get any positive response. Plz, do you have the farm's phone number

I will get that for you and tell the instructor u are going to call.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 8:47am On Jun 14, 2012
jadoo2003: thanks for the post. In the begining of the discussion you talked about bio dics. How can I use bio dics in an earthen pond and ow effective is it when used in fish pond.
Thanks

Just read tru again,I hv ans this particular que over and over again boss.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 9:50am On Jun 14, 2012
deandavid: Hey pros, i got a little problem to share with u guys, my fish are in their 3rd week and i noticed that some are having bruises on their body, what do u guys think is the cause and what should i do to stop it.thank you.

Make sure dey aren't clusttered.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by aquatic1(m): 3:09pm On Jun 16, 2012
ARARAT NIGERIA ENTERPRISES
invite you to the
one (1) day practical training seminar
on investment opportunities in catfish farming

TRAINING OBJECTIVES

Fingerlings production and hatchery management
Fish disease control and stress management

TARGETED AUDIENCE

1 Aspiring catfish farmer
2 Farm managers
3 Retirees
4 Student
5 UN-employed

BENEFIT OF THE SEMINAR

* To see and know how to hatch your self
* Tree handout on catfish production
* Free catfish feed formula for reduction of feeds
* Lunch
* 10% discount if payment is made before the date of the seminar

Admission: #10,000
Venue: 35 olufemi street of welder bus-stop ikola ilumo ipaja
Time: 10am to 4pm
Date: saturday 21st july 2012

Payment to be made to

0011397415 in favor of
oluwasheyi daniel alabi
guaranty trust bank

and teller number and depositor name text to 08053018934

For enquiry

Visit www.araratnigeria..com
araratnigeria@gmail.com
08053018934, 07089391123
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by deandavid(m): 12:46pm On Jun 18, 2012
i want to ask a funny qtn, how long does the floating fish feed float in water? I normally feed around 8.am before leaving there use to b small feed still floating in the water that's when d fish are satisfied,but in the evening when i come back to feed,d water ll be clear, is it possible the feed eventually sink or the fish actually eat the feed?
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by EatEazy: 8:00pm On Jun 20, 2012
Hello, I love this thread. God bless you guys. Please where can i buy fish feed in Lagos or at least somewhere around Ikeja. Please i am desperate to buy fish feed. Someone please help. Thanks.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 8:58am On Jun 21, 2012
EatEazy: Hello, I love this thread. God bless you guys. Please where can i buy fish feed in Lagos or at least somewhere around Ikeja. Please i am desperate to buy fish feed. Someone please help. Thanks.

Save-A-Lot Nigeria Ltd

7 Adeleke Solake Close
Abba Johnson Adeniyi Jones Ikeja Lagos
Nigeria

T +234 14976436
M
F +234 1470023
E oosho_49@yahoo.com

Try them.There are coppens distributors.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by Funsi: 4:46am On Jun 28, 2012
Hi guys, job well done i have a big farm somewhere in ondo state,i have being noticing some green tike subtains on the water when ever i start using pelleting for my fish, pls can someone tell me what i can us to stop it?
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by deandavid(m): 11:43am On Jun 28, 2012
masters, i recently found white patches on the head and body of my fish, last week i 3 died of this strange illness, the illness makes them lose their wiskers, they move sluggishly and eventually died. Pls guys what do u think is the cause and what can i possibily do to stop dis, because am still seeing some fish with this patches.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by aquatic1(m): 10:49pm On Jun 30, 2012
@david, I guess that should be ICH (white spot disease) what size I they, I will advise you by MX 1 or 4, but they aren't in all market, but if you can find it around on time contact me direct 08053018934, its very effective and good for white spot disease.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by stpat1(m): 11:35pm On Jul 01, 2012
@Arramyjay
pls are you in PH? I need your services on establishing a Viable fish pond. I have a plot of land already.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 1:23pm On Jul 03, 2012
deandavid: masters, i recently found white patches on the head and body of my fish, last week i 3 died of this strange illness, the illness makes them lose their wiskers, they move sluggishly and eventually died. Pls guys what do u think is the cause and what can i possibily do to stop dis, because am still seeing some fish with this patches.

Pls use cenox,I am sure wht they have is bacteria,grind about 7tablets and mix it in water mrng and evening 12hrs interval,for 7days and see,it is a general purpose medication boss.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 3:19pm On Jul 03, 2012
stpat1: @Arramyjay
pls are you in PH? I need your services on establishing a Viable fish pond. I have a plot of land already.

Hello no I am nt in ph.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by deandavid(m): 4:33pm On Jul 03, 2012
arramyjay:

Pls use cenox,I am sure wht they have is bacteria,grind about 7tablets and mix it in water mrng and evening 12hrs interval,for 7days and see,it is a general purpose medication boss.
tank u vry much bro. Should i use the 7 tabs 4 d whole 7 days or, its 7 tabs a day for 7 days making 49 tabs for the who week?
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 8:51pm On Jul 03, 2012
deandavid: tank u vry much bro. Should i use the 7 tabs 4 d whole 7 days or, its 7 tabs a day for 7 days making 49 tabs for the who week?
no 7 tablets in the mrng,7 tablets in the evening. for 7days.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by TawaTemi1(f): 2:33pm On Jul 05, 2012
Wao,its been long I came here and a lot has already been said and discussed.
@the masters esp aramijay,acquatic1,david,etc una well done.
Let me start by saying if you are in Ikd,you can get Coppens at Sabo for N4,900.
Now down 2 biz,according 2 d master here esp aramijay,he advised that we newbies should start small which I did by stocking 1,100 fishes in 2ponds. 2 weeks later they were sorted. Today my fishes are exactly 1month 1week. I believe they are growing very well (that's according 2 my brothers that visits once in a while), I fed them with Aquafeed and by 2mrw I want 2 start with Coppens cos of those fishes that refused 2 grow (after sorting them). I have about 500 that just remained same size and those that have slow growth rate since May 28th that I stocked them. But through reading some comments here, I decided 2 change their feeds 2 Coppens.
@Aramijay and Aquatic1, I intend feeding them with locals once they are 2months 2weeks (I have a cousin that is in2 locals),what do u think? I'm looking at their weight gain and slowing down cost.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jul 06, 2012
arramyjay:

This should guide you better.BW= body weight,but i am sure you wont have time to be checking for the temperatures so just use this.

At 50-60º F, feed 0.5-1.0 percent BW
At 60-70º F, feed 2.0 percent BW

At 70-86º F, feed 3.0 percent BW

At 90-95º F, feed 0.5-1.0 percent BW

but i am sure you wont have time to be checking for the temperatures so just use this.
between 75 and 85º F,= if you convert when this should be, it should be around 10am to 1.pm at this time feed them 10% of their total body weight.

e.g if your fish weighs 5 grams requires a ration of 10% of its body
weight,
Amount of feed to be fed per day = 5 grams x 10/100
= 0.5 grams feed per fish per day.
If there are 1000 fish in the pond, then;
= 0.5 g x 1000 fish
= 500 g of feed should be given to your fishes per day.

let me go further a bag of coppens weighs 15kg so feed about 500g of feed per day then in a week you shud use about 2 and half bags in a week. so from here do your calculations,i hope this helps you,if any other question please let me know,i recommend you use bio-disc to help retain oxygen in your water,becos as you feed oxygen also reduces.
Please the last paragraph got me confused. If 500grams is needed a day, is 15kg not suppose to last a month, that is 15000g /500g?
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by Etranshub(m): 1:19am On Jul 07, 2012
@arramjay I want to commend u for the great work you ve done on this thread , I have an observation and I would like to bring ur attention to it. Do u realise that the volume of an 18 by 6 by 4ft pond is less than 2000 litres ? How can u then stock 808 to 1k juvenile in such pond when we normally stock 300 of them in a 2000 litres plastic pond? Mayb u made a mistake with d dimensions u gave and if nt I will like to know how this has worked for u

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

Strange Bird Killed By Fulani / Giant Fish Caught In Lake At IITA Ibadan. / Mysterious Bat With A Horse-like Face Found In Fish Pond (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.