Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,916 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:20 PM

Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... - Agriculture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... (87560 Views)

Poll: Which is the best feed?

Coppens. From holland!.: 69% (18 votes)
Chi feed. from ibadan!: 15% (4 votes)
Durante. From ibadan!: 11% (3 votes)
zeigler from usa!: 0% (0 votes)
Vita feed from jos: 3% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Investment In Catfish Farming (things you need to know) / Catfish Farming: My Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jul 07, 2012
deandavid: come o, wat do u mean, if my fish weighs 5g nd i stocked abt 1000 fish nd if i use 10%, are u sayin am 2 feed my fish 50000g approx. 50kg of feed/day? Oboy check am na,no go work like dat.
Which kind math be this ?

5g*10/100(%)*1000=500g which is half a kilogram. So where 50,000g de come from?

Please O, 1000g is 1kg and not 10kg(ask google)

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by deandavid(m): 5:05pm On Jul 09, 2012
blink182: Which kind math be this ?

5g*10/100(%)*1000=500g which is half a kilogram. So where 50,000g de come from?

Please O, 1000g is 1kg and not 10kg(ask google)
sir u r correct, its slip of hand 5g of fish * 10% of body weight/100% * 1000 fish stocked = 500g of feed/day
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by deandavid(m): 5:15pm On Jul 09, 2012
Etranshub: @arramjay I want to commend u for the great work you ve done on this thread , I have an observation and I would like to bring ur attention to it. Do u realise that the volume of an 18 by 6 by 4ft pond is less than 2000 litres ? How can u then stock 808 to 1k juvenile in such pond when we normally stock 300 of them in a 2000 litres plastic pond? Mayb u made a mistake with d dimensions u gave and if nt I will like to know how this has worked for u
yea i think it was a mistake with dat dimension u can only stock max 600 (concrete) 360(earthern)
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by deandavid(m): 5:44pm On Jul 09, 2012
blink182: Please the last paragraph got me confused. If 500grams is needed a day, is 15kg not suppose to last a month, that is 15000g /500g?
yes broda, that got me confused too,u knw theoritically its supose 2 last 30days, but from my observation after abt 2 wks, the size of the fish increased so also the d weight of feed to be fed per day increase, for me, after about 3 weeks my fish started eating 2 kg/day. And now in their 7th week they are eating 4kg/day. So as the day goes by, their sizes increases, so their feed too. tomorrow will make my fish 7 wks old and they have consumed abt 7 and half bags of feed.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by Chux6203: 7:05pm On Jul 09, 2012
Coppens and Durantee feeds which is richer/better for catfish production in Nigeria. Please back up your answer with facts
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jul 10, 2012
deandavid: yes broda, that got me confused too,u knw theoritically its supose 2 last 30days, but from my observation after abt 2 wks, the size of the fish increased so also the d weight of feed to be fed per day increase, for me, after about 3 weeks my fish started eating 2 kg/day. And now in their 7th week they are eating 4kg/day. So as the day goes by, their sizes increases, so their feed too. tomorrow will make my fish 7 wks old and they have consumed abt 7 and half bags of feed.
Now this is making real sense to me. Thanks for the clarification.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 6:19am On Jul 14, 2012
Cool. Peeps shud we start a bb group?
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by TawaTemi1(f): 1:51pm On Jul 14, 2012
arramyjay: Cool. Peeps shud we start a bb group?

What of those that are not priviledge to have one? Won't they be deprived the opportunity of not getting more info on Catfish?
That aside,what of what I asked you concerning my fishes? Can I start feeding them locals once they are 2-3 months?
Pls I need your reply cos they will soon be 2 months.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 5:02pm On Jul 14, 2012
Tawa-Temi:

What of those that are not priviledge to have one? Won't they be deprived the opportunity of not getting more info on Catfish?
That aside,what of what I asked you concerning my fishes? Can I start feeding them locals once they are 2-3 months?

Awwww tht is true,ok let's keep it on here,hey sorry can't remember what u asked.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jul 14, 2012
arramyjay:

Awwww tht is true,ok let's keep it on here,hey sorry can't remember what u asked.
Its good to know you have a 
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 8:47pm On Jul 14, 2012
blink182: Its good to know you have a 

Aww bros u just tasi mi sha,no becos most times dis dayz I can't come online,and yahoo mesger sef hard me.bb mesger alwys on ni. No vex sir
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by TawaTemi1(f): 11:49pm On Jul 14, 2012
Tawa-Temi:

Can I start feeding them (my catfishes) locals once they are 2-3 months?

@aramyjay, what can you say concerning that?
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by TawaTemi1(f): 12:03am On Jul 15, 2012
Tawa-Temi:

Can I start feeding them (my catfishes) locals once they are 2-3 months?
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 6:33am On Jul 15, 2012
Tawa-Temi:

Yes u can start from 3months u introduce it gradually.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by MrAwesome1(m): 8:48am On Jul 15, 2012
arramyjay:

Assuming I bought juveniles of about eight weeks(2 months)old.
When can I start giving them local feed?cos as you guys know,
I can only keep them for 4 months before harvesting. So,when
Will be the right time to introduce them local feed?
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 1:36pm On Jul 15, 2012
Mr. Awesome:

Assuming I bought juveniles of about eight weeks(2 months)old.
When can I start giving them local feed?cos as you guys know,
I can only keep them for 4 months before harvesting. So,when
Will be the right time to introduce them local feed?

Boss sir,it depends on how much money u are willing to spend,imported feeds make them blow up,but doesn't give them weight.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by MrAwesome1(m): 9:53pm On Jul 15, 2012
arramyjay:

Boss sir,it depends on how much money u are willing to spend,imported feeds make them blow up,but doesn't give them weight.

Are u implying that I should start giving the 2 months old juveniles local feed
Straightaway? Or should I feed them imported feeds for another month?
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by TawaTemi1(f): 10:27pm On Jul 15, 2012
arramyjay:

Thank you so much
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by outseba(m): 5:10am On Jul 17, 2012
What would b your take for some one whu starts wit an earthen pond? Wil u hv to worry abt oxygen supply? Also in ur honest opinion..will dt b a nice start? Could u tell me d goods and bads (adv nd disadv) of earthen ponds?thanks
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by MrAwesome1(m): 11:56am On Jul 20, 2012
out seba: What would b your take for some one whu starts wit an earthen pond? Wil u hv to worry abt oxygen supply? Also in ur honest opinion..will dt b a nice start? Could u tell me d goods and bads (adv nd disadv) of earthen ponds?thanks

Advantages
1)Low cost of construction
2)Less Oxygen worries
3)Probably a little less feeding
4)You won't have to change water every time
5)You won't bother about sorting(if you stock juveniles of almost
equal sizes)

Disadvantages
1)The ponds can cave-in if not properly constructed
2)High rate of cannibalism(fish killing and eating each other).
3)Very difficult for the farmer to have access to his fish during emergencies
4)Serious threat from animals of prey (Birds,snake,etc)

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by Imeobong(m): 1:30pm On Sep 03, 2012
arramyjay:

@ arramyjay, If Imported fish makes them blow up and Local feeds make them gain more weight, what if I mix Coppens and a Local feed like Vital for them, can I achieve both weight gain and the blow up aspect as well? Thanks
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by MrAwesome1(m): 4:57am On Sep 06, 2012
Please does anyone have any info on where I can
Buy all d ingredients for making local feed?
My farm is in Portharcourt but I also do not mind
If I can get it cheap elsewhere and in large quantity.

P.S:I also need contacts of anyone/company dat can design
a good local feed pelleting machine.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by yetown(m): 11:27am On Sep 12, 2012
FISH FARMING MADE EASY, NO MORE CONCRETE/ BLOCK/ EARTHEN PONDS, WITH COLLAPSIBLE MOBILE POLYGON TANK SKY IS YOUR LIMIT
Use of collapsible mobile pond is ideal for urban dwellers and a very easy way to raise your own fish.
The mobile ponds as shown above are ideal mobile fish pond for your both front yard and back yard farming.
Advantages of Using a Collapsible Mobile Polygon Fish Pond:
1. It is non-toxic and non-corrosive
2. It can hold water for as long as you want.
3. It can easily be removed and carried to another location
4. Ideal for people who live in rented apartments.
5. The use of the mobile ponds is cheaper compared to concrete tanks.
6. It is an ideal pond for a starter or anyone who wants to start small.
7. With this type of collapsible mobile polygon pond, you can start your fish business with capital as low as N80, 000 (Cost of pond).

CONTACT NETAGRIC FARM:08035188465

Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by yetown(m): 11:02am On Sep 15, 2012
Mr. Awesome:
Please does anyone have any info on where I can
Buy all d ingredients for making local feed?
My farm is in Portharcourt but I also do not mind
If I can get it cheap elsewhere and in large quantity.

P.S:I also need contacts of anyone/company dat can design
a good local feed pelleting machine.

Other Products and Services of Netagric Farm.
Our products and services include virtually everything that fish farm machinery entails and some machinery for other Agricultural Activities.
We supply the following products;
●Collapsible mobile Polygon Fish ponds and accessories.
●Fingerlings, post fingerlings, juvenile and post juvenile production.
● Rannan Catfish Feeds (Imported Feed from Israel).
●Ovaprim, Ovatide, Artemia, Fish Vitamins & Antibiotics.
●Fishing /Basket nets.
●Digital Weighing Scale and Manual Weighing Scale.
●Complete Extruding line for floating fish feed.
●Complete Pelletizing line for fish sinking feeds
●Complete Pelletizing line for poultry feed.
●Different types of oxygenation machines for fish ponds (i.e. Air pumps, Air blowers, Spraying Aerators, Splashing Aerators, Paddle wheel Aerators etc).
●Bio-fitters and filtration materials, Ozone generators, Oxygen Meter, Oxygen Generators, Ph Meter, Bio-Disc etc.
●Complete feed milling line (Including Hammer Mill and Grinding machines).
●Pond Construction / feasibility study.
●Consultancy Services and Trainings.

FOR MORE INFO CONTACT:
NETAGRIC FARM
netagricfarm@gmail.com

Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by Theyjih: 11:17am On Sep 15, 2012
where have u bin since.. i hope u're ready to get bombarded by mails? thanks Mr. awesome for that question
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by TawaTemi1(f): 11:59am On Sep 19, 2012
My fishes are ready for sale, yipeeee grin grin

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by yetown(m): 12:06pm On Sep 19, 2012
Tawa-Temi:
My fishes are ready for sale, yipeeee grin grin

FISH FARMING MADE EASY, NO MORE CONCRETE/ BLOCK/ EARTHEN PONDS,
Use of collapsible mobile pond is ideal for urban dwellers and a very easy way to raise your own fish.
The mobile pond as shown below is an ideal mobile fish pond for your both front yard and back yard farming.
Advantages of Using a Collapsible Mobile Polygon Fish Pond:
1. It is non-toxic and non-corrosive.
2. It can hold water for as long as you want.
3. It can easily be removed and carried to another location.
4. Ideal for people who live in rented apartments.
5. The use of the mobile ponds is cheaper compared to concrete tanks.
6. It is an ideal pond for a starter or anyone who wants to start small.
7. With this type of collapsible mobile polygon pond (10ftx10ft), you can start your fish business with capital as low as N80, 000 / $500 (Cost of pond).

FOR MORE INFO CONTACT:
Netagric Farm
netagricfarm@gmail.com

Other Products and Services of Netagric Farm.
Our products and services include virtually everything that fish farm machinery entails and some machinery for other Agricultural Activities.
Are You In Need Of the Following Products?
●Collapsible Mobile Polygon Fish Ponds And Accessories
●Fingerlings, Post Fingerlings, Juvenile And Post Juvenile Production
● Raanan Catfish Feeds (Imported Feed From Israel)
●Ovaprim, Ovatide, Artemia, Fish Vitamins & Antibiotics
●Fishing /Basket Nets
●Digital Weighing Scale And Manual Weighing Scale
●Complete Extruding Line For Floating Fish Feed
●Complete Pelletizing Line For Fish Sinking Feeds
●Complete Pelletizing Line For Poultry Feed
●Different Types Of Oxygenation Machines For Fish Ponds (I.E. Air Pumps, Air Blowers, Spraying Aerators, Splashing Aerators, Paddle Wheel Aerators Etc)
●Bio-Fitters And Filtration Materials, Ozone Generators, Oxygen Meter, Oxygen Generators, Ph Meter, Bio-Disc Etc.
●Complete Feed Milling Line (Including Hammer Mill And Grinding Machines)
●Pond Construction / Feasibility Study
●Trainings
●Consultancy Services

FOR MORE INFO CONTACT:
Netagric Farm
netagricfarm@gmail.com

Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by distinct00: 10:12am On Sep 22, 2012
how come no one is talking about marketing of the fishes, will u find buyers who are ready to buy always
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by Theyjih: 1:52pm On Sep 22, 2012
distinct00: how come no one is talking about marketing of the fishes, will u find buyers who are ready to buy always

... from my lil knowledge, no one not even ur mentor in the biz wld tell u.. all u need is 1) Good product = Table size fish as most buyers are for the most part excited by SIZE! ... Your first sale is the most challenging.. so far yu have constant supply of Sizable CatFish u'd b amazed hw ur customer base wld increase
PS:_ In anything you do, lways be Loyal to ur Initial customers, treat them well by that i dont mean u shld sell your Produce on Credit to save face or b the good competition in an environ where you have other fish producers.. credit facilities shld come later (small small oh cos no b free u buy feed oh!) GOOD lUQ...
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by omochefran(m): 1:42am On Sep 23, 2012
Pls I am resident in benue how do I get a prof. To build the pond for me since I want to start small as advised.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Strange Bird Killed By Fulani / Giant Fish Caught In Lake At IITA Ibadan. / Mysterious Bat With A Horse-like Face Found In Fish Pond (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.