Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,438 members, 7,819,609 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:00 PM

The Stand Of Women In The Bible - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Stand Of Women In The Bible (8332 Views)

Poll: does d Bible degrade or put down women?

yes: 74% (20 votes)
no: 22% (6 votes)
it is not clear: 3% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Lightning Kills Women In Church In Imo (photo) / Who Is Your Favorite Bible Character And Why? / The True Stand Of The Bible On Abortion. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 11:35pm On May 06, 2012
Logic Mind:

so what is the use of god's wisdom?
solomon asked for it. he ruled his kingdom wit it. if he didn't apply it to his martial life, good for him. like i keep saying, God have, everyone freewill. if u give ur child money for his tuition fees n he decides to use it to buy his gf brazilian weaves, is it ur fault that u gave him his fees like a responsible father or his own fault that he was foolish to divert it?
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 11:50pm On May 06, 2012
bukatyne: God didn't require women to submit to their male partners, He said husbands. that said, a wife is to submit (esteem her husband higher than herself or put him first ) n a husband is to love. one of d characteristics of godly love is not been proud (humble) 1cor 13 : 4-7 n been humble is to esteem others (in this case his wife) better than himself. so u c that they balance out. check out d qualities of wat d love God requires d husband to have for his wife n u ll c that already, d man esteems her above himself. also read eph 5:21, it commands al christians to submit to one another so u c that submittin doesn't make a person under another.

so a husband is not a male partner?

stop rewriting the bible. god is specific about submission of women to men. Their salvation comes through childbearing. I pity the barren ones. Women should keep their mouth shut and have no authority over man, instead man must have authority over women. Repeated many times over.

1 Timothy 2:11-15

11 A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. 15 But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.

Ephesians 5:23

23 For the husband is the head of the wife ...

1 Corinthians 14:34-35

34 women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. 35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

1 Corinthians 11:10

10 For this reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 11:56pm On May 06, 2012
bukatyne: solomon asked for it. he ruled his kingdom wit it. if he didn't apply it to his martial life, good for him. like i keep saying, God have, everyone freewill. if u give ur child money for his tuition fees n he decides to use it to buy his gf brazilian weaves, is it ur fault that u gave him his fees like a responsible father or his own fault that he was foolish to divert it?

christian twist and turn
please compare comparables.
if i give my child money and he acts like a poor fellow, what's the use of my money?
can a man god made rich be poor?
can a man god gave health be sick?
can a man god gave happiness be sad?
can a man god promised long life die in his youth?
can a man god gave strength be weak?
can a man god gave wisdom be foolish?

Majority of christian will answer no to all the above. You seem to be answering yes.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 12:31am On May 07, 2012
Logic Mind:

christian twist and turn
please compare comparables.
if i give my child money and he acts like a poor fellow, what's the use of my money?
can a man god made rich be poor?
can a man god gave health be sick?
can a man god gave happiness be sad?
can a man god promised long life die in his youth?
can a man god gave strength be weak?
can a man god gave wisdom be foolish?

Majority of christian will answer no to all the above. You seem to be answering yes.
my answer is yes. there is a difference between religion n christianity. christianity is a relationship wit God. i would also advice christians to study d Bible n ask God for wisdom. that it's y on christian has any excuse, d BIBLE is there. if God tells u that u ll live till a hundred years n u jump into d road n a trailer hits u, is it His fault? or He tells u that He ll make u wealthy n u sit al day doin nothing, ll HE rain money from Heaven? He said He ll bless d work of our hands! if u do nothing, there is nothing to bless! if He promises u good health n u start drinkin contaminated water n eating spoilt food, would u fall sick? n al d other scenarioes u painted. get it, God is not a magician. He plays His part n expects each one of us to play ours too. He MIGHT decide to spare d life of d person who jumped in fronto of a vehicle because of His mercy n not because He is obliged to do so.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 12:37am On May 07, 2012
Logic Mind:

stop rewriting the bible. god is specific about submission of women to men. Their salvation comes through childbearing. I pity the barren ones. Women should keep their mouth shut and have no authority over man, instead man must have authority over women. Repeated many times over.

11 A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. 15 But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.

34 women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. 35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

10 For this reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head.
a male partner can refer to a bf etc. read my post again, i never said a woman shouldn't submit. a man is d head(source) of his wife as Christ is d head(source) of d Church. there is a difference btw head n Lord. source means that d home starts from d man. a man is d building block of the home in that a man must decide to get married n look for a woman for a home 2 be formed. this doesn't make her inferior.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 12:43am On May 07, 2012
Logic Mind:

all those passages u quoted, read d whole chapter n not just lift some to suit u. in 1 cor 11:34, Paul was addressing an issue. if u read well, u ll c that those verses don't match the previous ones. Paul was an apostle dat worked wit women a lot. women re not saved by childbirth, they re saved through acceptin Christ as their Lord n personal saviour.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 12:46am On May 07, 2012
@logicmind: also read that 1 cor 11 further to verses 11 and 16
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 12:47am On May 07, 2012
@bennyraz: thanks, ow re u? stay blessed!
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 8:12am On May 07, 2012
bukatyne: my answer is yes. there is a difference between religion n christianity. christianity is a relationship wit God. i would also advice christians to study d Bible n ask God for wisdom. that it's y on christian has any excuse, d BIBLE is there. if God tells u that u ll live till a hundred years n u jump into d road n a trailer hits u, is it His fault? or He tells u that He ll make u wealthy n u sit al day doin nothing, ll HE rain money from Heaven? He said He ll bless d work of our hands! if u do nothing, there is nothing to bless! if He promises u good health n u start drinkin contaminated water n eating spoilt food, would u fall sick? n al d other scenarioes u painted. get it, God is not a magician. He plays His part n expects each one of us to play ours too. He MIGHT decide to spare d life of d person who jumped in fronto of a vehicle because of His mercy n not because He is obliged to do so.

So you are telling me that god negates his gifts because of freewill? Infact it doesn't matter what gift god gave us, we can do anything we bloody want, the way we bloody want?
So the person that receives gods gift can end up exactly the same as the person who didn't?
What then is the use of god's gift?
biblical apologetics really make me laugh. So when solomon ordered that an innocent baby be murdered, that was wisdom from god but when he ordered that women be brought to him, that was foolishness from freewill.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 8:48am On May 07, 2012
bukatyne: @logicmind: also read that 1 cor 11 further to verses 11 and 16

here

1 Corinthians 11:11-16

11 Nevertheless, in the Lord woman is not independent of man, nor is man independent of woman. 12 For as woman came from man, so also man is born of woman. But everything comes from God.

13 Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, 15 but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering. 16 If anyone wants to be contentious about this, we have no other practice—nor do the churches of God.

I have read this many times and still can't see where this negates the misogyny of paul. The first part just repeated the creationist story and ...wait, wait, wait, I see: Women give birth to men! Thanks for this revelation paul, you are truly a chosen one.

The second part makes him a feminist? Not!
Thank god for the europeans that came and gave african women chemicals to straighten their hair and correct this african mistake of god's creation.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 8:52am On May 07, 2012
bukatyne: all those passages u quoted, read d whole chapter n not just lift some to suit u. in 1 cor 11:34, Paul was addressing an issue. if u read well, u ll c that those verses don't match the previous ones. Paul was an apostle dat worked wit women a lot. women re not saved by childbirth, they re saved through acceptin Christ as their Lord n personal saviour.

1 Timothy 2:15 doesn't agree with you.

I have read the whole chapter and am not going to apologise for a confused paul.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 12:52pm On May 07, 2012
Women were not part of god's original plan. They are an afterthought.
God created adam first and only derived eve from adam when he realised that adam needs someone to help with his bonner from time to time.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 5:37pm On May 07, 2012
Promiscuous daughters of priests must be burned to death but not the sons.

Leviticus 21:9

9 If the daughter of a priest defiles herself by being promiscuous, she defiles her father. She must be burned with fire.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 5:46pm On May 07, 2012
Here is what a pioneering feminist, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, thinks of the biblical portrayal of women.

"The bible teaches that women brought sin and death into the world, that she precipitated the fall of the race, that she was arraigned before the judgment seat of Heaven, tried, condemned and sentenced. Marriage for her was to be a condition of bondage, maternity a period suffering and anguish, and in silence and subjection, she was to play the role of a dependent on man's bounty for all her material wants, and for all the information she might desire... Here is the Bible position of woman briefly summed up."
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by Nobody: 5:55pm On May 07, 2012
bukatyne: @bennyraz: thanks, ow re u? stay blessed!
Amen o. i'm fine jare. I see u are busy. I'm spectating though
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 7:16am On May 31, 2012
goodmorning al! i'm sorry to be away from my thread for so long. @logicmind, i might not be able to quote specific posts/lines i would be answering b'cos i'm usin a phone but i would try my best. stay blessed!
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 7:18am On May 31, 2012
Logic Mind: Here is what a pioneering feminist, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, thinks of the biblical portrayal of women.

"The bible teaches that women brought sin and death into the world, that she precipitated the fall of the race, that she was arraigned before the judgment seat of Heaven, tried, condemned and sentenced. Marriage for her was to be a condition of bondage, maternity a period suffering and anguish, and in silence and subjection, she was to play the role of a dependent on man's bounty for all her material wants, and for all the information she might desire... Here is the Bible position of woman briefly summed up."
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 7:24am On May 31, 2012
Logic Mind: Here is what a pioneering feminist, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, thinks of the biblical portrayal of women.

i like d word u used: thinks! if she were alive, i would advice her just like i would advice u to read d Bible wit an open mind. don't assume the Bible says something on a subject before finding out wat d Bible REALLY says about that subject. don't say this is wat my pastor says therefore it must be right! Elizabeth lived in a time when discrimination against women and human trafficking/slave trade were supported wit d Bible. years later, people who read their Bibles properly started fighting against it.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 7:35am On May 31, 2012
Logic Mind:

So you are telling me that god negates his gifts because of freewill? Infact it doesn't matter what gift god gave us, we can do anything we bloody want, the way we bloody want?
So the person that receives gods gift can end up exactly the same as the person who didn't?
What then is the use of god's gift?
biblical apologetics really make me laugh. So when solomon ordered that an innocent baby be murdered, that was wisdom from god but when he ordered that women be brought to him, that was foolishness from freewill.
God never negates His gifts because of His freewill. He has given every man(male and female) the power of choice immediately the person is born. as such a person becomes wiser, he or she decides to use it as he/she wills. refer to my prev post on something similar. if God didn't give us the power of choice despite His gifts and He decided to judge us for our actions(which we have no control over), wouldn't that be unfair of Him? using u as a classic example: God gave u the gift of life yet u decided out of ur freewill NOT to believe or worship Him. wat would u want God to do? force u to worship Him? take ur life(His gift)? i never read/heard that God forced/told/cajoled/tempted solomon to marry extra wives so y should we blame Him?
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 10:13am On May 31, 2012
bukatyne: i like d word u used: thinks! if she were alive, i would advice her just like i would advice u to read d Bible wit an open mind. don't assume the Bible says something on a subject before finding out wat d Bible REALLY says about that subject. don't say this is wat my pastor says therefore it must be right! Elizabeth lived in a time when discrimination against women and human trafficking/slave trade were supported wit d Bible. years later, people who read their Bibles properly started fighting against it.

I'm sure she knew the bible more than you do. I'm also sure that the bible opens much more than minds in women. Even I, sometimes find myself mouth open when going through some passages of your holy book.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 10:44am On May 31, 2012
In the bible, it is only the women who are barren and infertile. Never men.
Sarah, Abraham's wife, was barren. Genesis 11:30
Rebekkah, Isaac's wife, was barren. Genesis 25:21
Rachel, Jacob's wife, was barren. Genesis 29:31
Manoah's wife, future mother of Samson, was barren. Judges 13:2
Michal the daughter of Saul, wife of David, was barren. 2 Samuel 6:23
Hannah, Samuel's future mother, was barren. 1 Samuel 1:5-6
Great Shunammite woman who helped Elisha, was barren. 2 Kings 4:8-17
Elizabeth, Jesus' auntie and john's future mother, was barren. Luke 1:7

The bible even mock them.
Psalm 113:9 "He maketh the barren woman to keep house and to be a joyful mother of children. Praise ye the LORD."
Isaiah 54:1-17 "Sing, O barren one, who did not bear; break forth into singing and cry aloud, you who have not been in labor! For the children of the desolate one will be more than the children of her who is married,"
Luke 23:29 For behold, the days are coming when they will say, 'Blessed are the barren and the wombs that never bore and the breasts that never nursed!'
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 11:40am On May 31, 2012
Logic Mind: Women were not part of god's original plan. They are an afterthought.
God created adam first and only derived eve from adam when he realised that adam needs someone to help with his bonner from time to time.
lol! i like ur sense of humour! if God had to take a rib out of adam to create eve then u should know that eve's job description was more than being a bonner helper! besides, God doesn't waste His resources. if He wanted eve to be BH only, he wouldn't have given her a brain, soul or spirit. read Genesis 1:26-28 and u'll c dat women re not an afterthought. take care
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by italo: 11:48am On May 31, 2012
Men and women have their roles in God's plan. There's no need to fight.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 12:08pm On May 31, 2012
bukatyne: lol! i like ur sense of humour! if God had to take a rib out of adam to create eve then u should know that eve's job description was more than being a bonner helper! besides, God doesn't waste His resources. if He wanted eve to be BH only, he wouldn't have given her a brain, soul or spirit. read Genesis 1:26-28 and u'll c dat women re not an afterthought. take care

No be talk am o. Na god himself say am
Genesis 2:20 "...But for Adam no suitable helper was found"
To help with what exactly if I may ask?

If women were created as per Genesis 1:26-28, why did god have to create eve specially? Also remember that Adam named eve "woman" after she has been created so Genesis 1:26-28 could not have been speaking of women.

For clarity purposes. Woman means "taken out of man" Gen 2:23. The females created in Genesis 1:26-28 were not taken out of men so could not have been women.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 12:30pm On May 31, 2012
Logic Mind:

I'm sure she knew the bible more than you do. I'm also sure that the bible opens much more than minds in women. Even I, sometimes find myself mouth open when going through some passages of your holy book.
elizabeth might have read d Bible but she never understood nor knew d God of the Bible because she never had d basic requirement: being born again! the letter kills but d Spirit gives life meaning that d Bible is not a story book! u don't just read it literally, u pray for God to open ur inner eyes n heart to understand His Word to u
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 12:41pm On May 31, 2012
italo: Men and women have their roles in God's plan. There's no need to fight.
welcome to d discuss. we re not fighting. i m only tryin to prove that contrary to common beliefs, the Bible/God was never against women and would never be
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by logicboy: 12:43pm On May 31, 2012
bukatyne: elizabeth might have read d Bible but she never understood nor knew d God of the Bible because she never had d basic requirement: being born again! the letter kills but d Spirit gives life meaning that d Bible is not a story book! u don't just read it literally, u pray for God to open ur inner eyes n heart to understand His Word to u

Ironically, if a muslim told you the same about the Koran, you would not agree.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 12:57pm On May 31, 2012
Logic Mind:

No be talk am o. Na god himself say am
Genesis 2:20 "...But for Adam no suitable helper was found"
To help with what exactly if I may ask?

If women were created as per Genesis 1:26-28, why did god have to create eve specially? Also remember that Adam named eve "woman" after she has been created so Genesis 1:26-28 could not have been speaking of women.

For clarity purposes. Woman means "taken out of man" Gen 2:23. The females created in Genesis 1:26-28 were not taken out of men so could not have been women.
this is wat i mean by prayin for understanding. Gen 1 was giving the summary of creation while chapter 2 was telling us d process of creating humans! if u stick wit that ur reasoning that means the man mentioned in chapter 1 is not Adam cos God Created Adam From Dust In Chapter 2 and dat God recreated d heavens and earth again!
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 1:03pm On May 31, 2012
logicboy:

Ironically, if a muslim told you the same about the Koran, you would not agree.

@logicboy: i ve never quoted/misquoted any koranic text b4 because i ve never read one! anything a muslim tells me is in d koran, i believe until proven otherwise! besides, d muslims always claim that d koran should be taken as it is read! i don't talk wit authority about things i really don't understand, i rather ask questions or at best give my own opinions! take care!
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by logicboy: 1:11pm On May 31, 2012
bukatyne: @logicboy: i ve never quoted/misquoted any koranic text b4 because i ve never read one! anything a muslim tells me is in d koran, i believe until proven otherwise! besides, d muslims always claim that d koran should be taken as it is read! i don't talk wit authority about things i really don't understand, i rather ask questions or at best give my own opinions! take care!

But I was a christian for 22 years. If I claim that the bible is sexist, you would say that I need the holy ghost!
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 1:20pm On May 31, 2012
Logic Mind: In the bible, it is only the women who are barren and infertile. Never men.
Sarah, Abraham's wife, was barren. Genesis 11:30
Rebekkah, Isaac's wife, was barren. Genesis 25:21
Rachel, Jacob's wife, was barren. Genesis 29:31
Manoah's wife, future mother of Samson, was barren. Judges 13:2
Michal the daughter of Saul, wife of David, was barren. 2 Samuel 6:23
Hannah, Samuel's future mother, was barren. 1 Samuel 1:5-6
Great Shunammite woman who helped Elisha, was barren. 2 Kings 4:8-17
Elizabeth, Jesus' auntie and john's future mother, was barren. Luke 1:7

The bible even mock them.
Psalm 113:9 "He maketh the barren woman to keep house and to be a joyful mother of children. Praise ye the LORD."
Isaiah 54:1-17 "Sing, O barren one, who did not bear; break forth into singing and cry aloud, you who have not been in labor! For the children of the desolate one will be more than the children of her who is married,"
Luke 23:29 For behold, the days are coming when they will say, 'Blessed are the barren and the wombs that never bore and the breasts that never nursed!'
and who told u that only women were barren? read Matt 19: 11-12 where Jesus Christ was talking about marriage n divorce. about the Bible mockin barren women: Ps 113:9 - 'He (God) gives d barren woman a home so that she becomes a happy mother' parenthesis mine. wat is d mockery in dat? or are u been ironical?
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 1:29pm On May 31, 2012
@logicmind: Luke 23:29- read from verse 26 down to 43. He was talking about d endtimes! He was talking of those who have no salvation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Right Hands Keep Shaking Since I Had An Encounter With God. / PHOTO: ‘jesus’ Appears In Ghana / Construction Of Mosque in Lagos State,with Special Design

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.