Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,984 members, 7,952,958 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 08:11 AM

The Stand Of Women In The Bible - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Stand Of Women In The Bible (8468 Views)

Poll: does d Bible degrade or put down women?

yes: 74% (20 votes)
no: 22% (6 votes)
it is not clear: 3% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Lightning Kills Women In Church In Imo (photo) / Who Is Your Favorite Bible Character And Why? / The True Stand Of The Bible On Abortion. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 1:14am On Jun 02, 2012
Logic Mind:

I am quoting the holy word of god.

please did solomon also marry 1000 men? that's a new one.
the Bible records d Word of God, d deeds n feelings of people, their wrong/right situations etc to correct, inspire us etc so u can't quote solomon's words during despair n claim it as the mind of God. Solomon really had 700 wives n 300 concubines and that was his downfall
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 1:17am On Jun 02, 2012
Logic Mind:

tongue
thanks for pointing that out. so you know.
chosen people of doG
it was their culture at d time. there is a difference btw d culture of d Isrealites n God's laws. they are people of God
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 1:24am On Jun 02, 2012
Logic Mind:

Biggest lie ever.
god judged motives, thoughts etc in the old testament. many times
are we thus to abandon all of these old laws?
people's motives/thoughts were never judged in d OT. besides, there re only ten OT commandments given to Moses Ex 20 directly n they re stil valid till tomorrow. those re d laws Jesus Christ came to fulfill. in d OT, until u committed adultery, u were innocent but in NT, if u look at a woman wit lust then it is d same as adultery etc check Matt 5
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 1:27am On Jun 02, 2012
Logic Mind:

This is the introduction of chapter 2

Genesis 2:4

4 This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created, when the Lord God made the earth and the heavens.
and was it not in d beginning God created d Garden of Eden? did u notice that some plants were for animals n fruit trees for humans? read d whole chapter again
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 9:19am On Jun 02, 2012
bukatyne: please read my post properly, i never implied that slavery was a good thing. look at it this way: if u met an house help, wat would u tell her? to behave well to her boss or to be rude to them? wat would u also advice d boss?
hypocrite!
did the bible say "house help"?
the bible said and meant slaves.

let me put it this way: if i met a house help, "helping" against her will, I will not only advise her to rebel, I will help her to be rid of her bondage and bring the her master to justice.

That is why i am better than your useless god and his bastard son of a rap.ist holy ghost.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 9:21am On Jun 02, 2012
bukatyne: the Bible records d Word of God, d deeds n feelings of people, their wrong/right situations etc to correct, inspire us etc so u can't quote solomon's words during despair n claim it as the mind of God. Solomon really had 700 wives n 300 concubines and that was his downfall

So you are saying that some parts of the bible are not the word of god?
that's a new one.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 9:22am On Jun 02, 2012
bukatyne: it was their culture at d time. there is a difference btw d culture of d Isrealites n God's laws. they are people of God

the famous "it was the culture at that time" escape route.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 9:25am On Jun 02, 2012
bukatyne: and was it not in d beginning God created d Garden of Eden? did u notice that some plants were for animals n fruit trees for humans? read d whole chapter again

i'm wondering if you are starting to misunderstand yourself
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 9:34am On Jun 02, 2012
bukatyne: people's motives/thoughts were never judged in d OT. besides, there re only ten OT commandments given to Moses Ex 20 directly n they re stil valid till tomorrow. those re d laws Jesus Christ came to fulfill. in d OT, until u committed adultery, u were innocent but in NT, if u look at a woman wit lust then it is d same as adultery etc check Matt 5

i want to understand you perfectly well. Are you saying that apart from the ten commandments, god did not give other laws in the old testament?
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 12:24pm On Jun 02, 2012
Logic Mind:
hypocrite!
did the bible say "house help"?
the bible said and meant slaves.

let me put it this way: if i met a house help, "helping" against her will, I will not only advise her to rebel, I will help her to be rid of her bondage and bring the her master to justice.

That is why i am better than your useless god and his bastard son of a rap.ist holy ghost.
Logic Mind, i believe u're an intelligent person and intelligent people don't pass across their points wit insults esp to God. Even if u don't believe in Him, respect d beliefs of others who do. i never told u that the Bible said anything about househelps. read that post again
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 12:33pm On Jun 02, 2012
Logic Mind:

So you are saying that some parts of the bible are not the word of god?
that's a new one.
the whole Bible is inspired by God but not all the words in the Bible are the direct words of God!
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 12:34pm On Jun 02, 2012
bukatyne: the whole Bible is inspired by God but not all the words in the Bible are the direct words of God!

What an inspiration!
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 12:36pm On Jun 02, 2012
bukatyne: Logic Mind, i believe u're an intelligent person and intelligent people don't pass across their points wit insults esp to God. Even if u don't believe in Him, respect d beliefs of others who do. i never told u that the Bible said anything about househelps. read that post again

Me neither.
So why do you bring house help into the argument?
Running around in circles and afraid to defend your faith.

If my faith is an insult to you, then yours is an insult to me.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 12:40pm On Jun 02, 2012
Logic Mind:

the famous "it was the culture at that time" escape route.
abeg, define culture for me!
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 12:43pm On Jun 02, 2012
bukatyne: abeg, define culture for me!
getting virgins pregnant
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 1:01pm On Jun 02, 2012
Logic Mind:

Me neither.
So why do you bring house help into the argument?
Running around in circles and afraid to defend your faith.

[/b]If my faith is an insult to you, then yours is an insult[/b] to me.
did i ever give such an impression? i have so far tried to have a reasonable discussion wit u even when u try to be insultive. i dont even know ur faith so y should it be an insult to me? if i m afraid to defend wat i believe in, then i should check my faith again!
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 1:22pm On Jun 02, 2012
bukatyne: did i ever give such an impression? i have so far tried to have a reasonable discussion wit u even when u try to be insultive. i dont even know ur faith so y should it be an insult to me? if i m afraid to defend wat i believe in, then i should check my faith again!

one man's meat is another man's bone
what you find delicious may be a poisonous insult to another. ask muslims what they think os tasty finger licking bacon bites and pork ribs.
i am a bible preaching atheist. it means i seek out the truth from the bible and tell those that have ears (or eyes in nl)
jesus in heaven had no mother - true . thus bastard
jesus on earth had no biological father - true. thus bastard
bastard in heaven, bastard on earth

go to another man's wife and artificially inseminate her by force = rap.ist
holy ghost did that to poor joseph's wife

can you see evil happening and do nothing even though you are powerful enough to act? yes? then you are useless.

you see, i speak the truth. only those wallowing in falsehood can see my honesty as insult.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by logicboy: 1:40pm On Jun 02, 2012
@ Logic mind

When you are done destroying and debunking Bukatyne, please visit my new thread;

I am born again!! I love God! lol

https://www.nairaland.com/953661/lets-give-thanks-god-everything
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 11:58pm On Jun 02, 2012
in the bible, a women have no say about who fvcks her. it is either god, or her father, that decides for her.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 12:53am On Jun 03, 2012
Logic Mind:

what you find delicious may be a poisonous insult to another. ask muslims what they think os tasty finger licking bacon bites and pork ribs.
i am a bible preaching atheist. it means i seek out the truth from the bible and tell those that have ears (or eyes in nl)

can you see evil happening and do nothing even though you are powerful enough to act? yes? then you are useless.

you see, i speak the truth. only those wallowing in falsehood can see my honesty as insult.
i was goin to reply each of ur posts but i realized that u re no longer interested in having a logical discussion. i really wonder y u re so bitter and ranting this way. i ve hardly seen people so desperate to deny the existence of God without having a reason behind it. u might have thought God abandoned u in a time of need or something but i tell u that He never sleeps nor slumber. everything that happens does for a reason. i pray that it ll not be too late when u see the light. God bless u!
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 12:53am On Jun 03, 2012
Logic Mind:

i was goin to reply each of ur posts but i realized that u re no longer interested in having a logical discussion. i really wonder y u re so bitter and ranting this way. i ve hardly seen people so desperate to deny the existence of God without having a reason behind it. u might have thought God abandoned u in a time of need or something but i tell u that He never sleeps nor slumber. everything that happens does for a reason. i pray that it ll not be too late when u see the light. God bless u!
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 1:02am On Jun 03, 2012
logicboy: @ Logic mind

When you are done destroying and debunking Bukatyne, please visit my new thread;

I am born again!! I love God! lol

https://www.nairaland.com/953661/lets-give-thanks-god-everything
Logic boy, i m smilin as i'm typin. do u know y? because neither u nor logicmind nor anyother person can destroy me or my faith or wateva. i'm a child of God and my Father tells me to be of good cheer because i have overcome the world. deep down, there is a void in ur lives that only God can fill! acquire everything there is to acquire in this world but u ll find out at d end that everything is vanity upon vanity! Jesus Christ said: 'what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses his own soul?' Apostle Paul even killed christians before Christ met him and yet God till used him for His glory. as i told logicmind, i pray that u see the light of the gospel before it is too late! it is appointed for man to die once and after death is judgement! God be wit u!
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 1:12am On Jun 03, 2012
Logic Mind: in the bible, a women have no say about who fvcks her. it is either god, or her father, that decides for her.
logicmind, logic dictates that if u don't understand a concept, u ask those who understand. P.S. u claimed to be a Bible preaching atheist. even if u 'read' the Bible, u can't understand because u re NOT a child of God and the god of this world (satan) has blinded ur mind. God be wit u. no matter wat u say, always remember that Jesus Christ loves u so much that He died for ur sins at the cross of calvary and He is knocking at the door of ur heart asking u to allow Him be ur Lord and Personal Saviour. He Loves U So Much!
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 1:59am On Jun 03, 2012
bukatyne: i was goin to reply each of ur posts but i realized that u re no longer interested in having a logical discussion. i really wonder y u re so bitter and ranting this way. i ve hardly seen people so desperate to deny the existence of God without having a reason behind it. u might have thought God abandoned u in a time of need or something but i tell u that He never sleeps nor slumber. everything that happens does for a reason. i pray that it ll not be too late when u see the light. God bless u!

How many times will i hear this nonsense.
i quote the bible you call me bitter
i explain the bible you call me bitter
i reveal god to you you call me bitter

look, you can only abandon someone that needs you. i never needed god. he came to me asking me to help him show people who he really is. I am only obliging him. ok?
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 2:03am On Jun 03, 2012
Even the almighty god's offspring is ... yes ... yess...a BOY! MAN! MALE! Jesus H. Christ. And guess what? He's motherless.
Women are not needed in heaven.
Male god and his son are enough!
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by ezicat: 3:41am On Jun 03, 2012
The debates were interesting - they've now denigrated into voicing of opinions - but they were revealing while they lasted. At Logicmind...wow...if I was offended by the bible before...yikes!

Regarding the treatment of women in the Bible - I'll have to say sexist. Bottom line - I mean the verses were pretty clear from where I'm standing. There are of course the modern day interpretations that some have now tried to pedal "no - the Bible wasn't sexist at all if you read it like this...with the inspiration of God"...I guess that inspiration didn't exist until the women's liberation movement of the last century when SECULAR law mandated that women were equal? Before this time society including Christians didn't treat women as such. Same with slavery. Not yet with war, but when we get there via secular development, I'm sure mainstream conservative Christians will find a way to re-interpret the Bible accordingly.

Face it - secular law comes up with something new and improved, and Christians try to re-inteprete the Bible to suit the new culture. Take the new green culture and environmental push. Now some Christians are re-interpreting a section of Genesis? involving Eden where God put man there to "take care of it." And as for free will - come now - like the stuttering Moses or the whale-living Jonah? Looks like God is perfectly capable of convincing people to do his will, so no I don't buy the "His hands are tied" excuse.

Bottom line - the Bible is a big book. You can get really fancy with interpretations.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 11:20am On Jun 03, 2012
Worse than a woman in the eyes of the lord, is a menstruating woman. (i wonder why he created them thus if they so disgust him)

Leviticus 15:19-31

19 ‘“When a woman has her regular flow of blood, the impurity of her monthly period will last seven days, and anyone who touches her will be unclean till evening.

20 ‘“Anything she lies on during her period will be unclean, and anything she sits on will be unclean. 21 Anyone who touches her bed will be unclean; they must wash their clothes and bathe with water, and they will be unclean till evening. 22 Anyone who touches anything she sits on will be unclean; they must wash their clothes and bathe with water, and they will be unclean till evening. 23 Whether it is the bed or anything she was sitting on, when anyone touches it, they will be unclean till evening.

24 ‘“If a man has sexual relations with her and her monthly flow touches him, he will be unclean for seven days; any bed he lies on will be unclean.

25 ‘“When a woman has a discharge of blood for many days at a time other than her monthly period or has a discharge that continues beyond her period, she will be unclean as long as she has the discharge, just as in the days of her period. 26 Any bed she lies on while her discharge continues will be unclean, as is her bed during her monthly period, and anything she sits on will be unclean, as during her period. 27 Anyone who touches them will be unclean; they must wash their clothes and bathe with water, and they will be unclean till evening.

28 ‘“When she is cleansed from her discharge, she must count seven days, and after that she will be ceremonially clean. 29 On the eighth day she must take two doves or two young pigeons and bring them to the priest at the entrance to the tent of meeting. 30 The priest is to sacrifice one for a sin offering and the other for a burnt offering. In this way he will make atonement for her before the Lord for the uncleanness of her discharge.

31 ‘“You must keep the Israelites separate from things that make them unclean, so they will not die in their uncleanness for defiling my dwelling-place,[a] which is among them.”’

Menstruation is so unclean and bad that the unfortunate woman has to be isolated and is obliged to make sacrifices to apease god for her uncleanliness.

God also made rules about not approaching them:

Leviticus 18:19

19 ‘“Do not approach a woman to have sexual relations during the uncleanness of her monthly period.

And if you dare break this rule, you become an outcast, an OSU:

Leviticus 20:18

18 If a man lies with a woman during her sickness and uncovers her unclothedness, he has exposed her flow, and she has uncovered the flow of her blood. Both of them shall be cut off from their people.

Yes, menstruation is a "sickness" according to the lord of hosts!

Other passages that show how the bible sees menstuation:

Genesis 31:34-35

Let it not displease my lord that I cannot rise up before thee: for the custom of women is upon me.

Isaiah 30:22

Thou shalt cast them away as a menstruous cloth.

Lamentations 1:17

Jerusalem is as a menstrous woman.

Ezekiel 22:10

They humbled her that was set apart for pollution.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 10:06pm On Jun 03, 2012
God doesn't like seeing women.
Only men are ordered to appear before him thrice a year.

Deuteronomy 16:16

16 Three times in a year shall all thy males appear before the Lord thy God in the place which he shall choose; in the feast of unleavened bread, and in the feast of weeks, and in the feast of tabernacles: and they shall not appear before the Lord empty:
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 10:08am On Jun 04, 2012
ezicat: The debates were interesting - they've now denigrated into voicing of opinions - but they were revealing while they lasted. At Logicmind...wow...if I was offended by the bible before...yikes!

Regarding the treatment of women in the Bible - I'll have to say sexist. Bottom line - I mean the verses were pretty clear from where I'm standing. There are of course the modern day interpretations that some have now tried to pedal "no - the Bible wasn't sexist at all if you read it like this...with the inspiration of God"...I guess that inspiration didn't exist until the women's liberation movement of the last century when SECULAR law mandated that women were equal? Before this time society including Christians didn't treat women as such. Same with slavery. Not yet with war, but when we get there via secular development, I'm sure mainstream conservative Christians will find a way to re-interpret the Bible accordingly.

Face it - secular law comes up with something new and improved, and Christians try to re-inteprete the Bible to suit the new culture. Take the new green culture and environmental push. Now some Christians are re-interpreting a section of Genesis? involving Eden where God put man there to "take care of it." And as for free will - come now - like the stuttering Moses or the whale-living Jonah? Looks like God is perfectly capable of convincing people to do his will, so no I don't buy the "His hands are tied" excuse.

Bottom line - the Bible is a big book. You can get really fancy with interpretations.
dear, we don't interprete d Bible according to new cultures else we would be supporting gay marriages and other things. like i said earlier, reading d Bible and understandin it is every important. a lot of us read n don't understand while some don't read at al. the Bible is not to be read as a story book. when reading, it is always best to ask 'Father y did this happen?', 'what re U trying to tell us?' etc. but u can't ask that witout God been ur Father.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 10:09am On Jun 04, 2012
ezicat: The debates were interesting - they've now denigrated into voicing of opinions - but they were revealing while they lasted. At Logicmind...wow...if I was offended by the bible before...yikes!

Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 10:46am On Jun 04, 2012
@ezicat: i would also advice u to read d Bible for urself and not rely on anybody's interpretation. i also used to think that God was sexist until i prayed to Him to reveal His Word to me and i decided to open my heart to hear from Him. i'm stil learning everyday and i must tell u that it has been glorious. i've learnt to differenciate btw God's perfect will and what humans do. to really know how d God sees women, just study the life and ministry of Jesus Christ. have a blessed day ahead.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 11:23am On Jun 04, 2012
the bible told us that jesus christ had twelve disciples none of whom was a woman.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Is Your Favourite Easter Line? Share / Tb Joshua Prophesies Zambia’s Historic Afcon Victory / How To Use Your Early Morning Urine To Get Rid Of Evil Domination In Your Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.