Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,770 members, 7,955,933 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 07:01 PM

The Stand Of Women In The Bible - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Stand Of Women In The Bible (8477 Views)

Poll: does d Bible degrade or put down women?

yes: 74% (20 votes)
no: 22% (6 votes)
it is not clear: 3% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Lightning Kills Women In Church In Imo (photo) / Who Is Your Favorite Bible Character And Why? / The True Stand Of The Bible On Abortion. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 1:41pm On May 31, 2012
logicboy:

But I was a christian for 22 years. If I claim that the bible is sexist, you would say that I need the holy ghost!
anytime i hear such, it makes me ache. wat made u draw back from God? Ps 34: 8 says 'taste n see that d Lord is good. o d joys of those who trust in Him.' i sincerely don't believe that someone that once loved God genuinely ll draw back but i'm not omniscient! the Bible is not sexist, i once thought so myself until i told God to open my inner heart to see His word and decided to reread my Bible again witout bias. i would like to know y u drew back from Christ. take care
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 1:47pm On May 31, 2012
@logicmind: Isa 54:1 - 17 is talkin of d future glory of Jerusalem. it is also talkin figuratively. i also don't c how this passage ridicule barren women. this is one of the passages they read to increase and build up their faith
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by logicboy: 2:00pm On May 31, 2012
bukatyne: anytime i hear such, it makes me ache. wat made u draw back from God? Ps 34: 8 says 'taste n see that d Lord is good. o d joys of those who trust in Him.' i sincerely don't believe that someone that once loved God genuinely ll draw back but i'm not omniscient! the Bible is not sexist, i once thought so myself until i told God to open my inner heart to see His word and decided to reread my Bible again witout bias. i would like to know y u drew back from Christ. take care

The bible supports slavery and genocide

Leviticus 25:44
"Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.

1 Peter 2:18
"Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh."

Titus 2:9
"Teach slaves to be subject to their masters in everything, to try to please them, not to talk back to them"

Furthermore, in the 13th century, the Catholic church officially supported slavery in its canon law by Pope Gregory IX. Also, there were popes who held slaves themselves
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 2:17pm On May 31, 2012
bukatyne: this is wat i mean by prayin for understanding. Gen 1 was giving the summary of creation while chapter 2 was telling us d process of creating humans! if u stick wit that ur reasoning that means the man mentioned in chapter 1 is not Adam cos God Created Adam From Dust In Chapter 2 and dat God recreated d heavens and earth again!

I don't know what you had open when you read this bible of yours but it certainly wasn't your mind.
In genesis chapter 1, we were told of how god chronologically created things in six days. He created vegetation on the third day. The last thing he created was man on the sixth day.
In genesis chapter 2, we were told that adam was created before vegetation but after the streams. Remember that vegetation was created on the third day.

You see:
Adam created on the third day, after the streams and earthly waters were created but before vegetation was created.
Man created on the 6th day after everything else, including Adam, was created.

Two different beings.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 2:28pm On May 31, 2012
bukatyne: and who told u that only women were barren? read Matt 19: 11-12 where Jesus Christ was talking about marriage n divorce. about the Bible mockin barren women: Ps 113:9 - 'He (God) gives d barren woman a home so that she becomes a happy mother' parenthesis mine. wat is d mockery in dat? or are u been ironical?

There you go again reading the bible upside down.
Let me quote the verse here so that people can see.

Matthew 19:11-12

11 Jesus replied, “Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. 12 For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others—and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.”

He was talking about eunuchs. eunuchs are men that cannot get it up either naturally or through castration. that is why they are allowed to mingle freely with women as the men had nothing to fear. it has nothing to do with men who can send women to ikot-ekpene with their thing but whose spermatozoides are too lazy to swim.

Unlike barren women, eunuchs don't marry
Unlike barren women, eunuchs are not expected to bear children

I repeat, the bible does not say anything about infertile men.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 2:31pm On May 31, 2012
bukatyne: @logicmind: Isa 54:1 - 17 is talkin of d future glory of Jerusalem. it is also talkin figuratively. i also don't c how this passage ridicule barren women. this is one of the passages they read to increase and build up their faith

I love those non-mocking faith-building passages; like the one that tells the poor they are blessed.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 4:17pm On May 31, 2012
The bible does not consider many women important enough to mention their names.
It is always this person's daughter, that person's wife, that man's mother. etc
Here is a non exhaustive list of nameless women in the bible:
-Cain and Abel's sisters
-Noah's wife
-Daughter of Ham
-Nimrod's wife
-Mother of Abraham
-Lot's daughters
-Lot's wife
-Laban's wife
-Potiphar's wife
-Pharaoh's daughter
-Simeon's wife
-The Cushitic wife of Moses
-Job's wife
-Samson's mother
-Jephthah's daughter
-David's mother
-The Witch of Endor
-The wise woman of Abel
-The Queen of Sheba
-Haman's mother
-Sisters/step-sisters/female cousins of Jesus
-Herodias' daughter
-Syrophoenician woman
-Hæmorrhaging woman
-Samaritan woman at the well
-Woman taken in adultery
-Pontius Pilate's wife

And many more.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 10:47pm On May 31, 2012
Going back to barren women. God eventually opened the wombs of most these women.
However, all the wombs that were opened were to bear...you guessed it: boys. males only.
God does not open a barren womb in order to get a baby girl. Never!
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 1:31pm On Jun 01, 2012
The holy bible affirms that not only are some women worse than death, in fact no woman is upright.

Ecclesiastes 7:26-29

26 I find more bitter than death
the woman who is a snare,
whose heart is a trap
and whose hands are chains.
The man who pleases God will escape her,
but the sinner she will ensnare.

27 ‘Look,’ says the Teacher, ‘this is what I have discovered:

‘Adding one thing to another to discover the scheme of things –
28 while I was still searching
but not finding –
I found one upright man among a thousand,
but not one upright woman among them all.
29 This only have I found:
God created mankind upright,
but they have gone in search of many schemes.’
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 3:28pm On Jun 01, 2012
logicboy:

"Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.

"Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh."

"Teach slaves to be subject to their masters in everything, to try to please them, not to talk back to them"

Furthermore, in the 13th century, the Catholic church officially supported slavery in its canon law by Pope Gregory IX. Also, there were popes who held slaves themselves
the old testament operated under the old law/covenant and we have things like stoning of people, slavery etc but all that was abolished in the NT. HOWEVER, some gentiles had slaves, it was part of their customs so there must be laws to regulate slavery. it would cause serious confusion and social disorder if al masters were told to release their slaves or if al slaves were told to rebel because al the slave owners might not be christians. it is just like saying that because the law talks of punishin rape then it encouraged rape. as for d popes, u should know that Jesus is our ultimate mirror of christian living. popes can make mistakes b'cos they re human. if my pastor steals, does it mean that God support stealing? take care
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 3:29pm On Jun 01, 2012
logicboy:

the old testament operated under the old law/covenant and we have things like stoning of people, slavery etc but all that was abolished in the NT. HOWEVER, some gentiles had slaves, it was part of their customs so there must be laws to regulate slavery. it would cause serious confusion and social disorder if al masters were told to release their slaves or if al slaves were told to rebel because al the slave owners might not be christians. it is just like saying that because the law talks of punishin rape then it encouraged rape. as for d popes, u should know that Jesus is our ultimate mirror of christian living. popes can make mistakes b'cos they re human. if my pastor steals, does it mean that God support stealing? take care
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 3:33pm On Jun 01, 2012
bukatyne: the old testament operated under the old law/covenant and we have things like stoning of people, slavery etc but all that was abolished in the NT. HOWEVER, some gentiles had slaves, it was part of their customs so there must be laws to regulate slavery. it would cause serious confusion and social disorder if al masters were told to release their slaves or if al slaves were told to rebel because al the slave owners might not be christians. it is just like saying that because the law talks of punishin rape then it encouraged rape. as for d popes, u should know that Jesus is our ultimate mirror of christian living. popes can make mistakes b'cos they re human. if my pastor steals, does it mean that God support stealing? take care

So the old testament laws were wrong laws?
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by logicboy: 3:42pm On Jun 01, 2012
bukatyne: the old testament operated under the old law/covenant and we have things like stoning of people, slavery etc but all that was abolished in the NT. HOWEVER, some gentiles had slaves, it was part of their customs so there must be laws to regulate slavery. it would cause serious confusion and social disorder if al masters were told to release their slaves or if al slaves were told to rebel because al the slave owners might not be christians. it is just like saying that because the law talks of punishin rape then it encouraged rape. as for d popes, u should know that Jesus is our ultimate mirror of christian living. popes can make mistakes b'cos they re human. if my pastor steals, does it mean that God support stealing? take care

Did you not see the quote from the new testament?

furthermore, Jesus/God couldnt stop skavery? He was afraid of rebellion?
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 4:43pm On Jun 01, 2012
Logic Mind: The holy bible affirms that not only are some women worse than death, in fact no woman is upright.

Ecclesiastes 7:26-29

26 I find more bitter than death
the woman who is a snare,
whose heart is a trap
and whose hands are chains.
The man who pleases God will escape her,
but the sinner she will ensnare.

27 ‘Look,’ says the Teacher, ‘this is what I have discovered:

‘Adding one thing to another to discover the scheme of things –
28 while I was still searching
but not finding –
I found one upright man among a thousand,
but not one upright woman among them all.
29 This only have I found:
God created mankind upright,
but they have gone in search of many schemes.’
now u re quoting king solomon! he also said that everything is meaningless, al is vanity upon vanity! solomon was probably talking about his 1,000 wives. check d Bible, many righteous women abound
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by Ptolomeus(m): 4:45pm On Jun 01, 2012
bukatyne: @logicmind: Isa 54:1 - 17 is talkin of d future glory of Jerusalem. it is also talkin figuratively. i also don't c how this passage ridicule barren women. this is one of the passages they read to increase and build up their faith
Read these passages to the wife of Abraham? David's wife? Noah's wife? Solomon's wife?
They were all adulterers, with the approval of the Judeo-Christian god ...
May well increase the faith of these women deceived and humiliated.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 5:14pm On Jun 01, 2012
Logic Mind: Going back to barren women. God eventually opened the wombs of most these women.
However, all the wombs that were opened were to bear...you guessed it: boys. males only.
God does not open a barren womb in order to get a baby girl. Never!
all the barren women that had more than a child had gals. however, the FB were always boys b'cos they had to witness in one way or the other to the isrealites and it was only men that were legible witnesses in isreal at d time. e.g. samuel was a priest, john was d forerunner of Jesus, etc
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 5:21pm On Jun 01, 2012
Ptolomeus:
Read these passages to the wife of Abraham? David's wife? Noah's wife? Solomon's wife?
They were all adulterers, with the approval of the Judeo-Christian god ...
May well increase the faith of these women deceived and humiliated.
goodday, pls i don't understand ur post and i don't want to assume. clearify urself. thanks
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 5:26pm On Jun 01, 2012
Logic Mind: The bible does not consider many women important enough to mention their names.
It is always this person's daughter, that person's wife, that man's mother. etc
Here is a non exhaustive list of nameless women in the bible:
-Cain and Abel's sisters
-Noah's wife
-Daughter of Ham
-Nimrod's wife
-Mother of Abraham
-Lot's daughters
-Lot's wife
-Laban's wife
-Potiphar's wife
-Pharaoh's daughter
-Simeon's wife
-The Cushitic wife of Moses
-Job's wife
-Samson's mother
-Jephthah's daughter
-David's mother
-The Witch of Endor
-The wise woman of Abel
-The Queen of Sheba
-Haman's mother
-Sisters/step-sisters/female cousins of Jesus
-Herodias' daughter
-Syrophoenician woman
-Hæmorrhaging woman
-Samaritan woman at the well
-Woman taken in adultery
-Pontius Pilate's wife

And many more.
well, i have also wondered y some women were not named in the Bible. like apostle Paul says, we only know in part now till we get to heaven. when i get to heaven, i ll probably ask God y. however, al d women that did something notable/outstanding or their names would add importance were named in d Bible. anyone that knows d reason y could help us out
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 5:29pm On Jun 01, 2012
Logic Mind:

I don't know what you had open when you read this bible of yours but it certainly wasn't your mind.
In genesis chapter 1, we were told of how god chronologically created things in six days. He created vegetation on the third day. The last thing he created was man on the sixth day.
In genesis chapter 2, we were told that adam was created before vegetation but after the streams. Remember that vegetation was created on the third day.

You see:
Adam created on the third day, after the streams and earthly waters were created but before vegetation was created.

Two different beings.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 5:31pm On Jun 01, 2012
Logic Mind:

You see:

Two different beings.
chapter 2 was talking about d Garden of Eden
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 5:56pm On Jun 01, 2012
Logic Mind:

they were not wrong laws but they dealt wit d physical aspect of life. the OT laws can not save, they just served as corrective measures. but in the NT, the person's heart(spirit) is renewed and God judges our motives, actions, thoughts etc while in the OT, only d actions re judged
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 5:57pm On Jun 01, 2012
Logic Mind:

Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 6:28pm On Jun 01, 2012
logicboy:

Did you not see the quote from the new testament?

furthermore, Jesus/God couldnt stop skavery? He was afraid of rebellion?
i did n i addressed it starting from the gentiles stuff. Jesus was not afraid of a rebellion but He didn't come to reign in an earthly kingdom but an heavenly one. He said repeatedly that His Kingdom was not of this world that was y He told those believers who were slaves to obey their masters n their masters should treat them fairly. He even paid His taxes n christians re told to pay import duty, obey their govt, avoid riots etc!
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by Ptolomeus(m): 6:51pm On Jun 01, 2012
bukatyne: goodday, pls i don't understand ur post and i don't want to assume. clearify urself. thanks
It's simple:
The role of women in the Bible is reduced to a Simple horned (Cuckold), or stone of scandal. I hope I was clear now.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by logicboy: 6:51pm On Jun 01, 2012
bukatyne: i did n i addressed it starting from the gentiles stuff. Jesus was not afraid of a rebellion but He didn't come to reign in an earthly kingdom but an heavenly one. He said repeatedly that His Kingdom was not of this world that was y He told those believers who were slaves to obey their masters n their masters should treat them fairly. He even paid His taxes n christians re told to pay import duty, obey their govt, avoid riots etc!

May your children be slaves and be told to obey their masters since you think that is a good thing!
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 7:06pm On Jun 01, 2012
bukatyne: now u re quoting king solomon! he also said that everything is meaningless, al is vanity upon vanity! solomon was probably talking about his 1,000 wives. check d Bible, many righteous women abound

I am quoting the holy word of god.

please did solomon also marry 1000 men? that's a new one.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 7:09pm On Jun 01, 2012
bukatyne: all the barren women that had more than a child had gals. however, the FB were always boys b'cos they had to witness in one way or the other to the isrealites and it was only men that were legible witnesses in isreal at d time. e.g. samuel was a priest, john was d forerunner of Jesus, etc

tongue
thanks for pointing that out. so you know.
chosen people of doG
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 7:16pm On Jun 01, 2012
bukatyne: chapter 2 was talking about d Garden of Eden

This is the introduction of chapter 2

Genesis 2:4

4 This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created, when the Lord God made the earth and the heavens.
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 7:19pm On Jun 01, 2012
bukatyne: they were not wrong laws but they dealt wit d physical aspect of life. the OT laws can not save, they just served as corrective measures. but in the NT, the person's heart(spirit) is renewed and God judges our motives, actions, thoughts etc while in the OT, only d actions re judged

Biggest lie ever.
god judged motives, thoughts etc in the old testament. many times
are we thus to abandon all of these old laws?
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by LogicMind: 7:21pm On Jun 01, 2012
bukatyne: i did n i addressed it starting from the gentiles stuff. Jesus was not afraid of a rebellion but He didn't come to reign in an earthly kingdom but an heavenly one. He said repeatedly that His Kingdom was not of this world that was y He told those believers who were slaves to obey their masters n their masters should treat them fairly. He even paid His taxes n christians re told to pay import duty, obey their govt, avoid riots etc!
wonderful
smh
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 1:00am On Jun 02, 2012
Ptolomeus:
It's simple:
The role of women in the Bible is reduced to a Simple horned (Cuckold), or stone of scandal. I hope I was clear now.
lol! @ stone of scandal! please give me specific examples/instances. thanks!
Re: The Stand Of Women In The Bible by bukatyne(f): 1:05am On Jun 02, 2012
logicboy:

May your children be slaves and be told to obey their masters since you think that is a good thing!
please read my post properly, i never implied that slavery was a good thing. look at it this way: if u met an house help, wat would u tell her? to behave well to her boss or to be rude to them? wat would u also advice d boss?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How To Use Your Early Morning Urine To Get Rid Of Evil Domination In Your Life / When You Attend The Feast Of A Great King / Interview Of Sheik Sani Haliru (boko Haram Member) Now A Christian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.