Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,701 members, 7,809,661 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:40 PM

The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? (8917 Views)

Flood Takes Over Lagos-Ibadan Expressway This Morning (Photos) / Photos: Helicopters With Flags Seen Flying Over Lagos / Controversy Over Al-makura’s Son’s Alleged N1.5B Wedding In U.S. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by NegroNtns(m): 7:46pm On May 06, 2012
CEFOLASS - CENTER FOR LAGOS STUDIES

OVERVIEW
Written by Administrator

Saturday, 09 August 2008 07:49

Lagos State is renowned as a melting point of peoples and cultures. The evolutionary and transformational history of the various groups and communities in Nigeria cannot be adequately written without due reference to the land and people of Lagos State. This is reinforced by the fact that the bulk of the major issues and discussions on the socio-political and economic situations from the colonial to post colonial Nigeria, revolved around Lagos and its environs.

Although in territorial size, Lagos remain the smallest state in Nigeria, ironically it is the most populated and most congested. The rate of population growth right from the era of establishment of stable polity has increasingly placed pressure on the available human and material resources, as well as determined the nature and pattern of socialization, economy, politics and religious life and social problems. It is against this background of the inhabitant of the state that the poverty alleviation project of the World Bank focused on Lagos State in year 2003.

Despite the plethora of literature on Lagos, little is known on the transformational history of the major groups in the state as well as its contribution to national development. The aborigines of the state have slim remembrance of the past; the later migrants and settlers who have benefited in various ways from the state and have sometimes contributed to her problems have no adequate knowledge on the land and people of the state. This has accounted for wrong information and misinterpretation of the various groups and communities in the state. Of such erroneous viewpoints are that ‘Lagos is no man’s land’, Gbogbo wa la L’eko \’we all own Lagos’. These assumptions rest on fallacy rather than historical reality.

Knowledge however, is the only vaccine that we have for ignorance, this is why the effort of Dr. Kunle-Lawal , the honourable commissioner for Education, Lagos State, Dr. A.O.K. Noah, the Provost of the College and Mr. Akeem Ajose-Adeogun, the then Deputy Provost are highly commendable for establishing the Centre for Lagos Studies (CEFOLAS) on August 2001 through the Academic board. This was a major complement to the effort of History Department of the College that commenced the Awori studies in 1994.

http://www.cefolassaocoed.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19&Itemid=29

So who are the owners of the land we today call LAGOS? Is it the Yorubas or the non-Yorubas?
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by niggadee(m): 8:12pm On May 06, 2012
This are the people I believed they are lagos Land owner awori,egun,lagosian islanders and ijebu's
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by Nobody: 8:40pm On May 06, 2012
niggadee: This are they people I believed they are lagos Land owner awori,egun,lagosian islanders and ijebu's

Absolutely, and there is no controversy. Only on the internet between kids who have too much time on their hands.
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by Onlytruth(m): 8:51pm On May 06, 2012
If anyone is serious about the ultimate truth, it is to acknowledge that EVERY land owner in Lagos is part of the "owners" of Lagos. Simple and short. In all honesty, the Nigerian-Biafran war skewed a lot of minds in Nigeria. sad
That is why there was "abandoned property" situation in some parts of Nigeria, basically to use it as a weapon of divide and rule. In a final solution situation, every land genuinely bought and owned will be reclaimed whether peacefully or violently.
But come to think of it, isn't it very obtuse for a person to expect another to abandon a fairly acquired land?
Nigeria must be one of the most stoopid places in the world, because I don't hear of abandoned property in any other country on earth.
So, to cut to the chase, Lagos is owned by the indigenes of course, PLUS EVERY LAND OWNER in Lagos, be he Igbo, Hausa, Edo, Ijaw, Fulani, Berom, Kattaf and so on. Lagos is a de facto multi-ethnic state. People should get over waiting for abandoned property in Lagos (particularly) because it will NEVER happen. undecided

I can understand if the situation is something like indigenes 90%, settlers 10%, in which case the "settlers" may be convinced to sell their properties back to the indigenes in exchange for a peaceful departure. In a situation whereby up to 40% -50% of land is owned by "settlers", no person in his/her mind would accept anything short of full and permanent "indigenization" (read naturalization) of such settlers. That is how every international court would see it. cool
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by bashr8: 8:55pm On May 06, 2012
aworis own lagos we have always all agreed on that, but other migrants such as hausas ,ijaw, igbos, yorubas ,efik , ibibio etc are now part of lagos since they own properties there unless aworis want all these groups (including yorubas ) to leave lagos which i dont think is possible since their population is relatively small .

btw its yorubas and army that started calling lagos no mans land the more reason aworis are angry with yorubas and telling them to leave lagos

the Aworis Youth Mandate under the able leadership of Adekunle bola has asked that all yoruba of non- aworis extraction leeching on their development and resources should start preparing to vacant the state.

he explained that yorubas come to lagos to feast on their resources, contributing absolutely nothing in return.

"an Ekiti from his jungle village will come to Lagos to drag jobs like security and vigilante with locals, so it time to tell them all who are the real owners of Lagos. "

once the permission is sanction there will be a exodus, so it is better they start packing before the time reaches. as the say " a stitch in time saves nine."

This is 21st century, NO TIME FOR PARASITISM !

even the abokis are contributing more than these yorubas, Awori people shall not stand and watch her resources pillaged and ravaged by these ingrates and rascals.

he went on to explain that most crimes in the state are perpetuated by neighboring states especially Ogun people and ijebus.

i disagree with him anyway.
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by Nobody: 8:56pm On May 06, 2012
We the Ijebus own Lagos - Aworis and Eguns need to take the back seat... We're are all Yorubas - so Yorubas own Lagos.

Ijebu land includes: Ebute Ero, Idumagbo, Ikoyi (onikoyi is an ijebu word), Victoria Island (Oniru), Maroko (Oniru), Ibeju Lekki, Ajah, Epe, Ikorodu, parts of Badagry, parts of Yaba etc. We own all the most important parts of Lagos - all hail waterside Ijebus. grin grin cool
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by Nobody: 8:56pm On May 06, 2012
bashr8: aworis own lagos , but other migrants such as hausas ,ijaw, igbos, yorubas ,efik , ibibio etc are now part of lagos since they own properties there unless aworis want all these groups (including yorubas ) to leave lagos which i dont think is possible since their population is relatively small .

We the Ijebus own Lagos - Aworis and Eguns need to take the back seat... We're are all Yorubas - so Yorubas own Lagos.

Ijebu land includes: Ebute Ero, Idumagbo, Ikoyi (onikoyi is an ijebu word), Victoria Island (Oniru), Maroko (Oniru), Ibeju Lekki, Ajah, Epe, Ikorodu, parts of Badagry, parts of Yaba etc. We own all the most important parts of Lagos - all hail waterside Ijebus.
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by Onlytruth(m): 8:56pm On May 06, 2012
My position is even bolstered most by the fact that the lands where acquired as citizens of Nigeria, not as foreigners.
The people that bought the land assumed they were buying land in Nigeria, where they are entitled to live and grow old.
So, should Nigeria disintegrate, nothing short of full indigenship for those land owners would suffice or be acceptable.
Anyway, let the abandoned property waiters continue to wait. They will wait for ever! lol. cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by Nobody: 8:59pm On May 06, 2012
The Ijebus form a sizeable portion of the population of Lagos city and Lagos State in general. Aside from those who migrated to Lagos Island, Badagry, Ebute-Metta and Yaba for commercial and economic purposes, the natives of Ikorodu, Ibeju Lekki, and Epe are all Ijebu people.

^^^^That explains the REAL owners of Lagos!!! cool grin grin grin
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by CyberG: 9:26pm On May 06, 2012
OnlyLIES: You can froth in the mouth all you want but buying land in Lagos gives only a long-term TEMPORARY ownership of the land and no more! It may be 70 years or more but it is still a "lease". If Nigeria breaks up like you want, you cannot eat your cake and still have it: You will have a short window to move whatever is on the land. Breaking Nigeria means the old order is abolished and a NEW one instituted, making it criminal to want to claim anything after the law that upholds Nigeria currently is abolished. The best you can do is to protect your homeland and ensure no one steals the land of your ancestors.

1 Like

Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by Katsumoto: 9:31pm On May 06, 2012
CyberG: OnlyLIES: You can froth in the mouth all you want but buying land in Lagos gives only a long-term TEMPORARY ownership of the land and no more! It may be 70 years or more but it is still a "lease". If Nigeria breaks up like you want, you cannot eat your cake and still have it: You will have a short window to move whatever is on the land. Breaking Nigeria means the old order is abolished and a NEW one instituted, making it criminal to want to claim anything after the law that upholds currently is abolished. The best you can do is to protect your homeland and ensure no one steals the land of your ancestors.

Agreed

However, protection should be given to those who own assets. There should be legal means for them to sell their assets if they want to. The government will set some sort of limit for those who can become residents but it wont be everyone otherwise anyone can buy a piece of land for 10,000 Naira and expect residency.

Onlytruth's loose definition will not work anywhere.

Lagos belongs to those who have been in Lagos for centuries - The Aworis, Ijebus, Egbas, Agudas, Saros as well as the Tapas.
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by Nobody: 9:38pm On May 06, 2012
@naptu2

Are you Igbo?
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by CyberG: 9:41pm On May 06, 2012
Katsumoto:

Agreed

However, protection should be given to those who own assets. There should be legal means for them to sell their assets if they want to. The government will set some sort of limit for those who can become residents but it wont be everyone otherwise anyone can buy a piece of land for 10,000 Naira and expect residency.

Onlytruth's loose definition will not work anywhere.

Lagos belongs to those who have been in Lagos for centuries - The Aworis, Ijebus, Egbas, Agudas, Saros as well as the Tapas.

And I completely agree with you but it is evident that people like OnlyLIES have eyes only for another's property not just what they need for a decent human living: greed, avarice, covetousness, long throat, etc. In another 500 years, long after now, the generosity and tremendous inclusiveness of the SW would be trampled upon and history re-written to suit their agenda. The only way to prevent a real problem then is to make it permanently IMPOSSIBLE for people like him to have more than TEMPORARY rights in the land.
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by Nobody: 9:57pm On May 06, 2012
CyberG:

And I completely agree with you but it is evident that people like OnlyLIES have eyes only for another's property not just what they need for a decent human living: greed, avarice, covetousness, long throat, etc. In another 500 years, long after now, the generosity and tremendous inclusiveness of the SW would be trampled upon and history re-written to suit their agenda. The only way to prevent a real problem then is to make it permanently IMPOSSIBLE for people like him to have more than TEMPORARY rights in the land.

Don't take people like Onlytruth seriously, they are only flying a kite to see how people will react to their outrageous claims. The same Onlyruth who would like to burn down Lagos in the event of a break up?
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by CyberG: 10:08pm On May 06, 2012
LOL...I know. I recently met a guy (African) who recently moved from Europe to America and he couldn't stop talking about how much he liked his new environment. He said even after living over there for 20 years, he could never feel at home like he did over here and be had wen here for much less that a year. My point? OnlyLIES & co need to have it permanently behind their ears that they CAN never own a square inch of land that will confer on them any rights in any other land than that of his ancestors. Even if himself and co became permanent beasts of burden in the SW, that will not give him more than temporary rights to work, feed himself, pay taxes and when Nigeria is over, it will be thanks but no thanks: pack your load and GO!
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by EkoIle1: 10:25pm On May 06, 2012
The only reason ibo people claim other peoples land is because theirs is crap. Knowing ibo people, if their land better pass other peoples land, they won't even give a damn about anybody.

These are lost people with no sense of belonging. Today they are SS, tomorrow they are Jews, after that they own abuja. The only place they are not proud of and won't claim is their own ibo land. When was the last time they discuss or say anything about their own land?

Talk about lost people.

1 Like

Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by Onlytruth(m): 10:29pm On May 06, 2012
Honestly, I never expected anything less from these guys.
I wasn't trying to argue or convince them of anything. The fact that Nigeria is unresolved is messing up a lot of brains.
My position addresses a FINAL solution to the Nigerian national situation.
Abandoned property can only survive in a united Nigeria (because some people need to use it to keep people down). In a disintegrated Nigeria, all issues will be resolved one way or another. No land would be stolen from anyone. cool
You buy a land as a Nigerian, you own it post disintegration. cool

1 Like

Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by Onlytruth(m): 10:36pm On May 06, 2012
It is also obtuse to keep thinking that this is about Igbo only. WRONG. This is a universal truth.
The only way to get those lands back (if you can get away with it) is ethnic cleansing. You cannot force a land owner to sell, and you cannot force him to move. Your best bet is to hope he would sell and leave (I believe a lot of Igbo may do this and Yoruba would even beg them to stay), but that is another issue.
My point has nothing to do with scarcity of land; we have more land than we need in Igboland. It is an issue of jurisprudence.

Anyway, this is where I leave the thread again! cool

1 Like

Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by jason123: 10:38pm On May 06, 2012
Onlytruth: Honestly, I never expected anything less from these guys.
I wasn't trying to argue or convince them of anything. The fact that Nigeria is unresolved is messing up a lot of brains.
Abandoned property can only survive in a united Nigeria (because some people need to use it to keep people down). In a disintegrated Nigeria, all issues will be resolved one way or another. No land would be stolen from anyone. cool

If that did not happen in 1967 in YOUR Eastern region and Port-harcourt for that matter. If that did not happen in Borno when an Igbo man was tryying to sell his house for peanuts. What in world makes you think it will happen now Keep deceiving yourself. What ever makes you sleep, right?

@Topic

Every Nigerian if Nigeria does not disintegrate!
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by jason123: 10:40pm On May 06, 2012
Once Nigeria disintegrates, it goes back to the Bini and Yoruba people!
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by jason123: 10:41pm On May 06, 2012
Sorry guys, but this is Africa and that is how things work. Except of course, you wanna deceive yourself!
Well, I don't pray for such!
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by jason123: 10:46pm On May 06, 2012
The best thing is for everyone to negotiate! Any use of force by the "now aliens" will be seen as a threat to the sovereignty of the new country/countries and the military might will come down on such! Not only Lagos but Rivers, Abuja and possibly Delta, Kaduna and Kano!
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by jason123: 10:48pm On May 06, 2012
Modified post
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by dayokanu(m): 11:33pm On May 06, 2012
Onlytruth: Honestly, I never expected anything less from these guys.

Isnt this extreme retardation?

Go and ask how many Bosnians kept their properties in Serbia after the breakdown

Or how many South Sudanese kept their homes in Sudan
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by CyberG: 12:55am On May 07, 2012
Funny how the mostly tribal Ibo posters are threatening about a land your ancestors had NO clue about! Again, to ONLYLIES and TRIBAL-IGBO, move away NOW while you have the time! On one hand, you do not like Nigeria and want to secede, but at the same time want to benefit from the law of the country that allows you to lease land in the "old country". How is that possible? Did the Jews not own (by purchase) any land in Germany before the Second World War? Is it by force or must you die because you want to travel thousands of KM to steal a land you do not own? You say you hate the SW but you can't keep coming to their land to live, work, feed your family and send home some change and when it is all over because you WANT to, you insist YOU MUST OWN their LAND? Well, this is only possible on the internet and I challenge you to go over there to Isale Eko and make your spurious claims.
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by Nobody: 6:52am On May 07, 2012
Onlytruth: It is also obtuse to keep thinking that this is about Igbo only. WRONG. This is a universal truth.
The only way to get those lands back (if you can get away with it) is ethnic cleansing. You cannot force a land owner to sell, and you cannot force him to move. Your best bet is to hope he would sell and leave (I believe a lot of Igbo may do this and Yoruba would even beg them to stay), but that is another issue.
My point has nothing to do with scarcity of land; we have more land than we need in Igboland. It is an issue of jurisprudence.

Anyway, this is where I leave the thread again! cool

Certificate of occupancy can be revoked.
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by amor4ce(m): 6:59am On May 07, 2012
Who says the Igbo people can't take over Lagos? (first click on link to get my drift)
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by Nobody: 7:32am On May 07, 2012
Lagos still remains a no-man's-land.
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by niggadee(m): 9:02am On May 07, 2012
mbatuku2: Lagos still remains a no-man's-land.
.you sound like a desperate non Lagosian who want to be one by force.. Building Loads of properties or investing billions of naira in Lagos don't make you indigenous people.. The real indigenous people rule lagos.
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by PROUDIGBO(m): 9:11am On May 07, 2012
CyberG: Funny how the mostly tribal Ibo posters are threatening about a land your ancestors had NO clue about! Again, to ONLYLIES and TRIBAL-IGBO, move away NOW while you have the time! On one hand, you do not like Nigeria and want to secede, but at the same time want to benefit from the law of the country that allows you to lease land in the "old country". How is that possible? Did the Jews not own (by purchase) any land in Germany before the Second World War? Is it by force or must you die because you want to travel thousands of KM to steal a land you do not own? You say you hate the SW but you can't keep coming to their land to live, work, feed your family and send home some change and when it is all over because you WANT to, you insist YOU MUST OWN their LAND? Well, this is only possible on the internet and I challenge you to go over there to Isale Eko and make your spurious claims.

^^^Dude shut up!!!

I wonder why and who hid my post in response to this obnoxious fool, yet his posts (which are nothing more than tribal baiting) are allowed to remain. I face individuals and not ethnicities, yet someone thought it ok to hide my post undecided?
Re: The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? by CyberG: 9:19am On May 07, 2012
Point one finger and four point back to you. I am sure the SWesterners will allow everyone move their houses away but a square inch of space? NEVER!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

External Reserves Hit 2017 High At $30.56bn / Zulum Orders Rebuilding Of 33 Houses For Teachers, Shares Food To 16,000 Women / Super Tuesday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.