Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,360 members, 7,957,964 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 06:02 AM

Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors (20303 Views)

President Jonathan Sacks Striking Doctors - Thecable / Striking Doctors Offer To Treat Ebola Patients / Fashola Sacks Striking Doctors In Lagos- What Is Your View (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Nobody: 6:18pm On May 07, 2012
Funkymallam:

How much tax do they pay in Ondo state and can u compare the cost of living in ondo state to Lagos?

Thats assuming they r even paid that 90k.

so Fashola should hand over the state treasury to striking doctors abi? as if there are not other civil servants to cater for. That's why I mentioned that if they are not comfortable working with LASG. They can apply for jobs in FMC Owo or Lagos university hospital, idi araba. They would be recruiting soon. They don't have to use the lives of patient has bargaining chips. Once Fashola bows to their demand, the nurses, pharmacist, radiologist e.t.c would down tools as well.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Kobojunkie: 6:21pm On May 07, 2012
What has state treasury to do with the demand for higher pay and better working conditions? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by ektbear: 6:21pm On May 07, 2012
Kobojunkie: um . . .. LAGOS STATE is UNDER the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. Suggesting Doctors should not use the Federal Benchmark is as silly as suggesting National Laws should not apply in Lagos. It does not make sense. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

na wa o

which kyne reasoning be dis

Kobomentality
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Rhino5dm: 6:22pm On May 07, 2012
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by violent(m): 6:24pm On May 07, 2012
It was beginning to look like a cheap blackmail of some sort. Each time they wanted more money...they went on strike. What a big shame! Peharps their work ethics would be less questionable if they had gone on strike to force the government to equip the hospitals with new technology....but no!..the greedy Nigerian spirit in them only wanted more money!

off with their heads!

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Kobojunkie: 6:25pm On May 07, 2012
Lagos is not subject to the same local laws that exist in Ondo state. However Lagos is [b]not [/b]an entity INDEPENDENT of NIgeria, so the doctors are right in agitating for Federal wage rules, even in Lagos.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Rhino5dm: 6:28pm On May 07, 2012
so, state teachers should start demanding for federal pay? Lecturers at state universities should start demanding for federal pay? Na wa for you ooo!

Kobojunkie: Lagos is not subject to the same local laws that exist in Ondo state. However Lagos is [b]not [/b]an entity INDEPENDENT of NIgeria, so the doctors are right in agitating for Federal wage rules, even in Lagos.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by maasoap(m): 6:30pm On May 07, 2012
They are gradually losing public sympathy because of their constant strikes. They earn better than their counterparts in other states. Most of them also have their own hospitals, they also re-redirect many blood donors from govt hospitals where they're working to their hospitals. Many of them are also consultants to some hospitals. They work 6 months a year, go on strike for the other half 6 months. May be they don't even know that many doctors in Nigeria nowadays are either unemployed or underemployed. I know they will go to court for redress and they're most likely be reinstated. It is high time the LASG introduce terms and conditions in their employment/appointment letter. One just needs to go to those hospitals now and see how heartless these doctors can be. Yet, they're among upper class people in our society. Oliver twists.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Kobojunkie: 6:30pm On May 07, 2012
It is their right as Nigerian workers to get the benefits that they deserve under federal law, as well as local law. It is not an EITHER OR situation.

For instance, the minimum wage rule at the Federal level is guaranteed EVERY person in that country. States cannot overrule them for any reason. If a State chooses to go against federal law, and pay their people less, what that state is doing is declaring itself in violation of federal law, which I hope we all know should not happen.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Rhino5dm: 6:36pm On May 07, 2012
We are looking for means to drift toward true federalism, and you are here advocating for unification of salaries? Is the salaries going to be paid be FG?

So, Ekit/Ebonyi/Yobe state doctors should also demand for federal pay?

They are state government employees for frying out loud.

Kobojunkie: It is their right as Nigerian workers to get the benefits that they deserve under federal law, as well as local law. It is not an EITHER OR situation.

For instance, the minimum wage rule at the Federal level is guaranteed EVERY person in that country. States cannot overrule them for any reason. If a State chooses to go against federal law, and pay their people less, what that state is doing is declaring itself in violation of federal law, which I hope we all know should not happen.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Kobojunkie: 6:38pm On May 07, 2012
Is it possible that you are confusing terms here? True federalism does not NEGATE the existence of a unified salary system. Please get that right.

In fact, having a more standardized salary system, aids in progress, not destroy it. Matter of fact, it improves chances for equal development for all. And again, please make sure you UNDERSTAND what is being said here. No one is saying EVERYONE will be paid exactly the same amount. However, everyone ought to be subject to the same Federal wage rule, the local rules can differ from place to place. But the Federal rule should be held as base, no matter where.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Rhino5dm: 6:43pm On May 07, 2012
Forget about the true federalism aspect,

Are you trying to tell me that Ekiti, Yobe, Ebonyi and other poor states doctors should also demand for thesame wages with doctors in Lagos or Abuja or PH? shocked shocked

Are they federal or state employees shocked shocked shocked

Kobojunkie: Is it possible that you are confusing terms here? True federalism does not NEGATE the existence of a unified salary system. Please get that right.

In fact, having a more standardized salary system, aids in progress, not destroy it.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Kobojunkie: 6:44pm On May 07, 2012
Again . . . .
Kobojunkie:

In fact, having a more standardized salary system, aids in progress, not destroy it. Matter of fact, it improves chances for equal development for all. And again, please make sure you UNDERSTAND what is being said here. No one is saying EVERYONE will be paid exactly the same amount. However, everyone ought to be subject to the same Federal wage rule, the local rules can differ from place to place. But the Federal rule should be held as base, no matter where.

Federal wage rules act as BASE WAGE rules No matter where you work. States can however choose to pay extra, or include extra benefits in addition to the base set by the federal. However, States have no power to RE-DEFINE/UNDERMINE Federal Wage rules.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Rhino5dm: 6:47pm On May 07, 2012
^
Swim along KOBO swim!! Am out.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Kobojunkie: 6:53pm On May 07, 2012
The saddest part of this is that many of those suggesting these doctors have no right to demand federal wage policies be applied, have at least lived abroad and understand how this ought to work. If you had been subjected some of this same out there,many of you would have screamed bloody murder, and even gone as far as to accuse the government of racism. But here you all are openly suggesting the injustice you would not condone, be imposed on others, for political reasons. undecided undecided undecided undecided

What did you all think would happen when you supported the minimum wage increase bill? Did you think only FG workers would be affected, or something? Jeeezz!!

Back to the issue, not sure how far the doctors can push go, but it would make more sense if doctors across all states agitate for a more standard salary system. The Federal system is not a bad base standard for all doctors.

CONMESS Document
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by aletheia(m): 7:00pm On May 07, 2012
ekt_bear:

Then LASG made the correct decision. They've de-fanged this union that has caused them a lot of trouble, and from what you say will have no difficulty replacing the doctors with ones of comparable quality.

Good.

Next time one of these unions wants to strike, perhaps they should pause and make sure that they are not overestimating how difficult it will be to replace them.

Don't believe all you read on NL. No union has been "defanged". We shall all make reference to this thread when the clueless LASG climbs down from this grandstanding designed to impress folks like you. You talk about market forces so I am sure you know the answer to why there are more Nigerian-trained doctors in the US than in Nigeria!
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by ektbear: 7:06pm On May 07, 2012
aletheia:
Don't believe all you read on NL. No union has been "defanged". We shall all make reference to this thread when the clueless LASG climbs down from this grandstanding designed to impress folks like you. You talk about market forces so I am sure you know the answer to why there are more Nigerian-trained doctors in the US than in Nigeria!

grin grin grin

Settle down, doc grin

Let's see how things shake down first..we'll see who has the upper hand shortly, no doubt.

Regarding the US and Nigeria...yes, there are plenty who've left Nigeria for the US. But not clear that this is necessarily an option for all of these fired doctors.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Nobody: 7:15pm On May 07, 2012
please, with all sincerety. How much are they collecting as a package and how much tax are being deducted, b4 we start argument? From entry level, oya now. How much........
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by aljharem(m): 7:25pm On May 07, 2012
bayooooooo:

Do you dictate your salary to your employer?

Good !!!
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by dejato: 7:26pm On May 07, 2012
Saxywale. your are the daftest human being ive seen this year. let me enlighten you a bit. Ondo state still pays 90k to nysc doctors.im currently serving in Lagos where im paid 40k a month as compared to an Ondo corper doctor. We earn more during house job than NYSC. So there is no sense comparing a corper doctor salary to a non corper doctor salary. Ondo state pays 195k to fresh Medical officer, while lagos pays 180k. tax in onodo state is about 10k, in lagos you pay about 40k. please when you talk, talk with some common sense.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by aljharem(m): 7:31pm On May 07, 2012
This Bayooooooo guy is very clever. very very clever, the way he present his argument would win any biased mind in an instance. Very good.

I was also about to lash out on Fashola until I read his post along side saxywale.

Here is my opinion

1. Lagos state doctors are the highest paid in Nigeria

2. If the government keep yielding to their demands, then what happens to other sectors/workers. should they also be striking all the time

3. If they want to threaten the government to pay more despite they are the highest paid in the country by over 100 % then the government needs to sack some so as to increase the salary of others.

In general Nigerian doctors are not paid high at all because we have too many doctors in Nigeria, but demanding to 200 % or so salary more than other states in Nigeria is crazy and should not be encouraged.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Nobody: 7:37pm On May 07, 2012
@Kobojunkie!! Are u sane at all?? We r here advocating for true federalism!! So that all d states can spend within their means, u r here talking trash!!!! Na competition?? Oyo paid this, enugu paid dat?? Gosh mehn!!! Y can't d workers advocate 4 better hospital facilities?? Some of dem even have their own private clinics where they drag patients to! @gov hospitals they r rude, but @ dia clinics they become nice!! Bloody hypocrites!! Enough of d falsehood!! Good riddance.....

1 Like

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Kobojunkie: 7:42pm On May 07, 2012
nchewi: @Kobojunkie!! Are u sane at all?? We r here advocating for true federalism!! So that all d states can spend within their means, u r here talking trash!!!! Na competition?? Oyo paid this, enugu paid dat?? Gosh mehn!!! Y can't d workers advocate 4 better hospital facilities?? Some of dem even have their own private clinics where they drag patients to! @gov hospitals they r rude, but @ dia clinics they become nice!! Bloody hypocrites!! Enough of d falsehood!! Good riddance.....

Here's a simple question for you? WHAT IS TRUE FEDERALISM? Start by answering this simple question, and maybe then, you will understand how ridiculous what you suggest will happen above, under "TRUE" federalism really is. grin grin grin grin grin grin

I get that it is typical for Nigerians to throw around the particular term, but how many of you truly, for real, understand what true federalism means?? ROFLMAO

Here is a link to a thread that could help you understand the true reason behind the many calls for 'True Federalism', and how everyone seems to have their own unique idea of what what it means for them. https://www.nairaland.com/932298/what-exactly-true-federalism
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by texazzpete(m): 7:43pm On May 07, 2012
alj harem: This Bayooooooo guy is very clever. very very clever, the way he present his argument would win any biased mind in an instance. Very good.

I was also about to lash out on Fashola until I read his post along side saxywale.

Here is my opinion

1. Lagos state doctors are the highest paid in Nigeria

2. If the government keep yielding to their demands, then what happens to other sectors/workers. should they also be striking all the time

3. If they want to threaten the government to pay more despite they are the highest paid in the country by over 100 % then the government needs to sack some so as to increase the salary of others.

In general Nigerian doctors are not paid high at all because we have too many doctors in Nigeria, but demanding to 200 % or so salary more than other states in Nigeria is crazy and should not be encouraged.

Do you mind sharing with us how you came about the following statements

1) Lagos State doctors are the highest paid in the country by over 100%
2) Lagos State doctors are 'demanding 200% salary more than other states in Nigeria'.

I anxiously await your response.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Nobody: 7:43pm On May 07, 2012
dejato: Saxywale. your are the daftest human being ive seen this year. let me enlighten you a bit. Ondo state still pays 90k to nysc doctors.im currently serving in Lagos where im paid 40k a month as compared to an Ondo corper doctor. We earn more during house job than NYSC. So there is no sense comparing a corper doctor salary to a non corper doctor salary. Ondo state pays 195k to fresh Medical officer, while lagos pays 180k. tax in onodo state is about 10k, in lagos you pay about 40k. please when you talk, talk with some common sense.

dejato, you have sickle cells in your brain. Learn how to pass you opinion or facts without swearing. If you had gone through my post, you would have seen its not firsthand information and I did mention that things might have changed. I am sure its the likes of you that make up your crazy union of heartless beings. Sun of a gun.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by dejato: 7:55pm On May 07, 2012
Saxywale, i cant but laugh at your stupidity.. I want to see were Fashola will see just 200 doctors to take the jobs. Ogun state pays 200k minimum, Oyo pays 210k, ondo pays 195k and all these states are with very little tax. You think doctors are stupid? if they offer me 400k for that job, i wont take it. Do we look like slaves? All over the world doctors are the highest paid and they can afford basics. in Naija as a doctor you cant even send your children to the best school. They say doctors have more than one job. Have you ever seen any human being that likes to work like Jackal? if the rubbish salary they pay in government hospital is sufficient for their need will they take other jobs and be away from the comfort of their homes and children? If you go to the market and the market woman knows you are a doctor, your bill will quickly increase in 2 folds. But the govt can spend 3 billion for Jagaban Borgus birthday.Lagos state government doctors are the greatest slaves in the whole country. Fashola increases hospital size, declares free treatment and doesnt increase the work force. when doctors in other states do half of their jobs.

dejato, you have sickle cells in your brain. Learn how to pass you opinion or facts without swearing. If you had gone through my post, you would have seen its not firsthand information and I did mention that things might have changed. I am sure its the likes of you that make up your crazy union of heartless beings. Sun of a gun.[/quote]

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by texazzpete(m): 7:56pm On May 07, 2012
bayooooooo:

Stop spreading ignorance!!!

What's the correlation between road and the stupi$dity of incessant strikes? are they being less paid than their counterparts in other states? Afterall, you are in a country where strike is even illegal in most states? People like you should know better than spreading ignorance.

In the first instance, why were the sacked? Do you follow the history of how they have been embarking on unreasonable strikes here and there? Does that make sense to you? Can you be more powerful than your employer? In your opinion, no matter what, the state government should have pander to their interest. The government should recruit young doctors who are ready to work.

'unreasonable strikes'

You see, this is why I tell people that contrary to what their thieving Pastors and Imams tell them, Nigeria will NOT get better any time soon. Even with the horrifying spectre of greedy and demonic leaders, we have a sheepish and foolish populace who still fall for the government propaganda of 'incessant strikes'.

The Doctors in Lagos State have gone on repeated strikes because the Lagos State government has FAILED to implement all the agreements made before. The Doctors have asked for full implementation of CONMESS. Is that really too much to ask? While the Lagos State Government tells you gullible people that Lagos state cannot pay the incremental demands, a simple calculation will tell you all that that is a lie.

Now, we know that 1000 doctors were sacked. Let's assume the incremental demands per doctor boils down to 50K per person. 50,000 * 1000 = 50 million naira. Is this what Lagos State government cannot pay?

Does anyone really think that 175k per month is adequate remuneration for a medical doctor...barely over $1000 per month? And that's before the crippling taxes the doctors are complaining about.

Are we so blind that we do not see the folly in keeping our doctors demotivated and unhappy?

People here say truly IDIOTIC things like 'most of these doctors have their own hospitals'. Which kain hospital will a married doctor build on 175k per month?

The Lagos State government is simply following the script used by the FG in turning the populace against ASUU...enter agreements and fail to honor them, then use their financial clout to inundate the media with stories about 'incessant strikes'. And the foolish people lap it up! How many of you folks know that up until now, GEJ is yet to sign the agreement finalized with ASUU to extend retirement age of lecturers to 70, even after an 'agreement' was reached?

It is said that the average Lagos state doctor sees up to 50 patients daily. How many of you here work that hard in such a risky environment?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Nobody: 8:16pm On May 07, 2012
dejato: Saxywale, i cant but laugh at your stupidity.. I want to see were Fashola will see just 200 doctors to take the jobs. Ogun state pays 200k minimum, Oyo pays 210k, ondo pays 195k and all these states are with very little tax. You think doctors are stupid? if they offer me 400k for that job, i wont take it. Do we look like slaves? All over the world doctors are the highest paid and they can afford basics. in Naija as a doctor you cant even send your children to the best school. They say doctors have more than one job. Have you ever seen any human being that likes to work like Jackal? if the rubbish salary they pay in government hospital is sufficient for their need will they take other jobs and be away from the comfort of their homes and children? If you go to the market and the market woman knows you are a doctor, your bill will quickly increase in 2 folds. But the govt can spend 3 billion for Jagaban Borgus birthday.Lagos state government doctors are the greatest slaves in the whole country. Fashola increases hospital size, declares free treatment and doesnt increase the work force. when doctors in other states do half of their jobs.

dejato, you have sickle cells in your brain. Learn how to pass you opinion or facts without swearing. If you had gone through my post, you would have seen its not firsthand information and I did mention that things might have changed. I am sure its the likes of you that make up your crazy union of heartless beings. Sun of a gun.

if you like, write a 2000 word essay, it still doesn't change the fact that they are using the lives of people has a bargaining chip. Like you mentioned in your long epistle, if ogun and oyo pays more, then they should go and take employment with those states you mentioned. Shikena!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Nobody: 8:24pm On May 07, 2012
Why should FG negotiate with union workers' and force it down the throat of state governments ? Y'all arguing fighting yourselves over lagos doctors even when most of these states cant even implement the 18K minimum wage . Since Lagos was not part of the negotiation between the doctors and FG,it's left for the doctor to reach for a compromise with the state government in order to solve the issue.
Innocent lives cannot continue to be lost because of this feud.The sacking seem extreme but somebody just have to make sure the hospitals get back to work and stop the loss of lives.Btw,why do medical doctors earn more than other health practioners in the health sector ?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Johnny(m): 8:25pm On May 07, 2012
If i was in Fashola‘s shoes,i would not only sack them but prosecute them for causing the death of numerous patients.....What nonsense!If only doctors knew their importance in the society,they would never embark on any useless strike.
They attach more importance to “money“ than people‘s health.Bravo to the Governor!!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by aletheia(m): 8:32pm On May 07, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Btw,why do medical doctors earn more than other health practioners in the health sector ?
Such a silly question. Next time you fall ill, go and consult a roadside mechanic. It is just such moronic opinions that are egging the LASG on. Let me tell you the next phase: watch as the doctors deploy the "nuclear" option and work becomes grounded in ALL hospitals both state and federal in Lagos; then you will know why doctors earn more all over the world and not just in Nigeria alone.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Nobody: 8:33pm On May 07, 2012
Johnny: If i was in Fashola‘s shoes,i would not only sack them but prosecute them for causing the death of numerous patients.....What nonsense!If only doctors knew their importance in the society,they would never embark on any useless strike.
They attach more importance to “money“ than people‘s health.Bravo to the Governor!!

Lmao @ prosecute them.I know these guys swore to some hippocratic oath and it priotize the sanctity of lives but I dont know why they should allow people to die because of money.Too bad if you ask me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Tre-en-en / 5 Keys To A Healthy Lifestyle. / What Is Dirty Blood?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.