Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,974 members, 7,817,868 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:44 PM

Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here (50265 Views)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Uniben Faculty Of Education Aspirants Meet Here / Uniport 2011/2012 Newly Admitted Student And Aspirants Meet Here:: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by kpolli(m): 5:04pm On May 11, 2012
hotmoney: Which of our universities are currently admitting students for masters program?

No matter what, do not do ur masters in Unilag. . . . To be forewarned is to be forearmed. . . .
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by tanimola22: 5:19pm On May 11, 2012
TinTin18:

I understand that it's called "Master 1". My question is what is its equivalent on a standard degree classification? No one has said the UK system is the only educational system in the world. If I was interviewing someone with a Master 1 qualification, I'll be curious to know what it is on a standard classification scale. If you know what it is, please let me know - everyday is a school day.

Many thanks.

Hi,

On a standard classification scale, the person did a course-based Master's degree program without a formal research content. Many of such programs exist, even in Canada where Master's is known to take 2 years on the average, with the last semester spent on research.

In addition, do note that, ideally, a PgDip is a repetition of final year and other relevant aspects of undergraduate level work. The aim of a PgDip is to bring people's academic skills up to speed in areas they have little to no grasp of. I know this because I have been a tutor. In addition, I currently have colleagues who tutor PgDip students, so we know the level of courses covered. Master's, on the other hand, whether a one-year or two-year Master's/with or without thesis, covers a more complex material at a more advanced level than does a PgDip. Contradictorily, I have also seen someone who did a great PgDip thesis and was accepted to pursue a PhD in Ireland. The same for another person in Singapore and yet another person in Germany. Some top PgDip programs require thesis. I suspect this would come as a surprise to some people. smiley

Some universities make it mandatory for their students to follow a structured internship after completing a Master's degree without thesis, while some other universities don't really care. At the end of the day, it is a Master's degree they all have. The only disadvantage that a student who followed a course-based Master's degree program may face in the future is if he plans to work for an organization that requires all employees to prove that they can do independent research. Otherwise, the course-based Master's degree holder is just as fine.

T22.

1 Like

Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by sparko1(m): 6:02pm On May 11, 2012
For the record i know i am not suppose to be here but as i was reading through the post i saw a question that was not properly answered' the questions is 'can a HND graduate from any field go directly to master? Or most he go through PGD first even if he had DISTINCTION? Please your reply would be appreciated.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by tanimola22: 6:10pm On May 11, 2012
jadedmocha: Appreciate this information. would do as you recommended. i have a first class from a good university in Nigeria. I have a foremost desire to go for my masters abroad. ur so rite about Uk universities, they cost a arm and a leg. would appreciate any help you can help to achieve my aim.

Let us know what you studied and when you graduated.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by tanimola22: 6:20pm On May 11, 2012
sparko1: For the record i know i am not suppose to be here but as i was reading through the post i saw a question that was not properly answered' the questions is 'can a HND graduate from any field go directly to master? Or most he go through PGD first even if he had DISTINCTION? Please your reply would be appreciated.

Hello,

I read on the previous pages that some schools accept HND for Master's directly. I guess it depends on the school.

Do visit any university close to your state of residence and ask the PG officer your questions. Who knows, it may be possible.

T22.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by iconics: 6:50pm On May 11, 2012
@tanimola22 thanks very much. I studied for my BSc part time too. I hope that will count. Thanks again.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by PtBlank: 7:36pm On May 11, 2012
MarcAnthon:

And for the other guys that asked also, there really is no websites that I know of. And any scholarship you get has to be AFTER you have gotten admission. It works like this:
You apply to the school(s) first. Pick two, three or more schools. Some Chinese guys I met said they applied to 20 or more schools. That is overly excessive because you pay application fees for each application which is from $40 to about $200 depending on the pedigree of the school. At this point you may also want to hold off applying until you write your GRE.
Write GRE. Do your best to prepare well and get a great score. The score range that schools accept will vary depending on its pedigree and the course you want to do. After you get your scores, contact your department of interest via email and ask then if it meets their entry requirements. It's at this point that you may want to apply if it does so you don't waste your money.
Apply. You'll need to send your transcripts, recommendation letters and other docs over by courier or Nipost, so get your school to prepare it and be ready to mail stuff. They usually have application deadlines too, so don't be late. I would seriously ADVICE you apply to start in a fall semester. That is when the academic year begins and that's when they have monies allocated for funding students. If you apply for Spring semester (starting in January) you will hardly get any funding cos they'd all have been disbursed already.
Wait for them to get back to you, and if your application is successful, you are automatically considered (not offered) for whatever scholarships the department has. For most schools you don't need a separate scholarship application. If you don't get full scholarships you will most likely get a TA or RA position, and if not they may give you a small scholarship, like $1000 which qualifies you to pay In-State rates which is much more affordable. In which case after your first semester you should be able to secure a TA or RA position.

So you see it takes faith to start and it's rather expensive I most add - that's the downside, along with most masters program in the US being two year long programs. GRE, application fees, sending transcripts and docs over - it's expensive if you aren't currently working or has someone that can support, but at the end it's worth it. You'll get excellent education for free, or just paying a little cos like I said before I haven't met any masters student that paid his/her way through the program.

The school you apply to matters too(concerning funding) cos not all schools are rich. So check for the top 50 or so schools in the US colleges ranking [url]http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/spp%2B50[/url] But I must warn that the higher the school is in the ranking, the more competitive getting in will be.

Btw, there are also Nigerian scholarships like the Mobil and PTDF scholarships. You can also apply for those, but I think you still have to have admission before u can.

Thanks bro.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by tanimola22: 7:44pm On May 11, 2012
iconic_s: @tanimola22 thanks very much. I studied for my BSc part time too. I hope that will count. Thanks again.

Hi, I don't think part-time BSc will wound you. A guy known to me did his BSc part-time. The same guy just concluded his full time Master's at one of the top schools in the Western part of Nigeria.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by adorebee(f): 8:03pm On May 11, 2012
Pls I intend to do my masters in Uniport.I studied Economics(2.2) and I wish to major in bussiness administration.I want to knw if they ve started selling their form.And pls I wld lyk to know if the̶̲̥̅̊ school is ☺ķªª¥.THANK YOU.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by maasoap(m): 9:15pm On May 11, 2012
paleo: please are you serious about this..Jeez,that's a long wait.,the price of the form is okay thou but, the time it will be out is so far from now.if indeed the form comes out by september,please do you have idea when admission'll be out and,when the programme itself will start...A friend once told me i should expect the form by month end.i sincerely pray he's right about that..cant wait till d end of d year o..what will i be doing @ home...please update me Asap.thanks hommy..
I have a sister there and that was what she told me. You know I asked her to help me find out a long time ago but by the time she did, it was already late.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by maasoap(m): 9:29pm On May 11, 2012
TinTin18:

Be proactive and contact the department directly to find out what their requirements are. Seeing as you studied Agricultural Economics, it might be a case of going through the modules you took to see if all the prerequisites have been covered and if you will need to take pre-master classes. Like I mentioned before, you're better of speaking to the course director or someone at the department you wish to study.

Best of luck.
Thanks.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by TinTin18(f): 9:34pm On May 11, 2012
tanimola22:

Hi,

On a standard classification scale, the person did a course-based Master's degree program without a formal research content. Many of such programs exist, even in Canada where Master's is known to take 2 years on the average, with the last semester spent on research.

In addition, do note that, ideally, a PgDip is a repetition of final year and other relevant aspects of undergraduate level work. The aim of a PgDip is to bring people's academic skills up to speed in areas they have little to no grasp of. I know this because I have been a tutor. In addition, I currently have colleagues who tutor PgDip students, so we know the level of courses covered. Master's, on the other hand, whether a one-year or two-year Master's/with or without thesis, covers a more complex material at a more advanced level than does a PgDip. Contradictorily, I have also seen someone who did a great PgDip thesis and was accepted to pursue a PhD in Ireland. The same for another person in Singapore and yet another person in Germany. Some top PgDip programs require thesis. I suspect this would come as a surprise to some people. smiley

Some universities make it mandatory for their students to follow a structured internship after completing a Master's degree without thesis, while some other universities don't really care. At the end of the day, it is a Master's degree they all have. The only disadvantage that a student who followed a course-based Master's degree program may face in the future is if he plans to work for an organization that requires all employees to prove that they can do independent research. Otherwise, the course-based Master's degree holder is just as fine.

T22.

Can i just say that I understand your point on course based Masters etc. I wouldn't want to get into the technicalities and what obtains in Canada or the USA without doing proper research but can I ask what one is awarded in Canada after only taking classes for 1year? If a student is admitted into Uni to study for an MSc degree(1yr lectures/classes and 1 year research) but only completes the first year of study, What degree will such a student be awarded??

Speaking of PGDip, I beg to differ on your point that a PGDip is the last year of undergraduate studies. if PG mean Post graduate, how then can it be the last year of undergraduate studies? May I suggest that you state where such applies so one is not confused or misinformed (you know about it but some of us do not and can learn a thing or two). Please note that I haven't said that you're wrong in anyway. It is possible that what you have stated pertains to the US but not the UK.

Having said that, can I also point out that in the UK, PGCert, PGDip and MSc students take the same lectures at what you would call "Masters level" and are most times in the same class but the distinguishing factors amongst the three are grades and dissertation. In a situation where a student has been offered a place to study for an MSc degree and s/he is unable to make up the credits to be awarded an MSc, s/he may end up with either a PGCert or PGDip. Also, it is possible to apply to study for any of the three degrees as one pleases. please see link http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/students/courses/postgraduate/taught/med/clinical-primary-comm-care.aspx.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by maasoap(m): 9:40pm On May 11, 2012
@T22
maasoap: ,
is it possible for someone who study Agricultural Economics apply for Master Degree in Economics without PGD?
Response please
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by iconics: 10:31pm On May 11, 2012
Best thread yet!!! @T22 thanks! I was told too that my part time BSc would cover for the professional experience you mentioned initially. I would have loved going for a full time MBA at Unilag, (not MSc Economics), but I ll go for LAUTECH MBA part time or any federal Uni with a study centre in Lagos considering my job and the cost implication. What's your take?
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by paleo(m): 6:13am On May 12, 2012
hi house..please do anyone know about the course peace and strategic studies or peace and conflict resolution as the case may be in some schools...i have a b.a in religions and philosophy.I intend doin my masters degree in peace and strategic studies in prefarably unibadan or unilorin but the problem i face is that i have limited information about this course..please any idea and information about this course and how its been operated is highly welcomed..i like the love shared in the house.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by jaybim: 6:22am On May 12, 2012
Hey guys, I'm presently serving(nysc) n won't b out till october, can I still apply 4 unilag masters while serving? And also bearing in mind that I won't be through when admission comes out in september, cos I read on der website that one must hav completed nysc.... HELP, Anyone??
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by jaydude(f): 9:02am On May 12, 2012
Please house how lucrative is masters in occupational health? Is it really worth it?
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by kaykad: 9:06am On May 12, 2012
Nlanders I ned your help on my project topic, intergarting universal basic education authority data using semantic web tecnology.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by yhemini: 10:21am On May 12, 2012
kpolli:

No matter what, do not do ur masters in Unilag. . . . To be forewarned is to be forearmed. . . .

Kpolli why did u say dis pls i'm really intrested cos i'm planning 2 do my Msc in unilag. Pls enlighten us.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by homerac7: 11:21am On May 12, 2012
@FummyKemmy,

Ur firend is in for a long run. her first hurdle is dat she has HND, universities wont take that for lecturing. FACT!

Then she has MBA, its professional and doesnt count as academic. so she can only get admin job in the universities and not lecturing job, i know d stance of NUC on that. except she goes on to get her PGD, MSC and gets good sponsorship for d job because she will still b discriminated against.

But if she wont want someone pocking that agaist her face, she can pursue her career in d polytechnics or other colleges. But for university in Nigeria, d chance is slim and her future turbulent, except theres a radical cultural change soon (whc i doubt very much)

As per who said lecturing aint competitive in naija, bros, u surre say u dey groun so?
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by economia: 1:20pm On May 12, 2012
tanimola22:

Hello economia,

Eboyin State University PG Director
Dean School of postgraduate Studies
Phone:08035431952
Email:snragwu@yahoo.com
Source: http://www.ebsu-edu.net/contactus.php

Google the rest.

u too much! Thank you.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by Nobody: 1:45pm On May 12, 2012
I'm a graduate of Industrial Chemistry intending to do a PgD in Geology.
How easy do you think I'll blend into the programme considering I didn't do much mathematical courses as an undergraduate.
Also, is there any type of scholarship available to PGD students?
If yes, where and how do i apply?
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by Lillyeean(f): 10:36pm On May 12, 2012
[quote author=maasoap] UI forms is #10k and will be out in September. The school fee is #93k. God bless.[/quote

@ maasoap...thanks for the info but I heard that the form will start selling by June... Pls can u confirm if its new info... Their website is not saying anything abt it though
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by kingcharle(m): 8:53am On May 13, 2012
plz when will ebsu sell their pg forms and how much is the tuition fee in esut business school (pg econs)
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by tonmandy(m): 8:55am On May 13, 2012
In agric courses,will dey accept p7 in english for masters
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by segs4eva(m): 9:10am On May 13, 2012
Whats d quality of UI master in project dev & implementation MPDI, is it acceptable in labour market.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by wycleaftic: 3:59pm On May 13, 2012
please i need a respone urgently as regards my inquiry
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by wycleaftic: 4:13pm On May 13, 2012
hello house, i want to know if i stand a better chance of gaining admission into one of the two institutions, unilag and UI for an Msc mass communication with a bsc mass communication (2-2)CGPA of 2.86 and a professional masters in public administration (MPA)? i have pplied earlier with just my bsc in both institution with no success. so, now with an additional qualification, any luck?
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by tanimola22: 10:20pm On May 13, 2012
maasoap: @T22,
is it possible for someone who study Agricultural Economics apply for Master Degree in Economics without PGD?

Hey, sorry for the late response.

If you exhaustively covered micro, macro, elementary econometrics and mathematics for economists, you will surely get a school that will take you straight. However, if you did not, then most good schools won't admit you.

T22.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by tanimola22: 10:22pm On May 13, 2012
honey001: Which is more lucrative and viable btw MBA and Msc Economics?

They are not comparable.
Re: Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here by tanimola22: 10:23pm On May 13, 2012
twaintoy: Thanks Tanimola, i was wondering too because mass communication is under social sciences while english is under arts, on the other hand, some schools have mass comm under arts although i went to a private school and we have ours under social sciences which is B.sc. Anyway, i am planning to go for masters in mass comm and specializing in Advert and Public Relations.

Good. So you can speak the English more and more. wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead / Roof Shot Of The University Of Calabar / Adamu Abubakar Rasheed Graduates From University Of Aberdeen UK. Nigerians React

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.