Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,881 members, 7,838,156 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 04:23 PM

Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... - Politics (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... (28670 Views)

Saraki Hosts A Parliamentary Delegation From Colombia (Photos) / Akure Monarch Bans Eze Ndi Igbo Title-the Punch / Eze Ndi Igbo In Lagos Reacts To Oba Of Lagos Anti-igbo Comment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... by ebere1712: 12:56am On Jul 03, 2012
thumb down on Enyi and any name not completely igbo.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... by PointB: 1:15am On Jul 03, 2012
Thank you Beneli for handing the baton over to me. It is good though to allow everyone have their say. I also think that same person repeating same thing over and over again does not necessarily imply the will of the majority.

Having gone through the posts following my last one, I (the moderator) believe that a popular challenge to ENYI is ANYI. Reasons have been advanced so far why the respective names should be adopted, and there are merits to all the reasons. It is also a truism that the 'thinking global' but 'acting locally' suggestion is still very much in tune with majority opinion. But that suggestion applies only to manner of thinking.

However, the motto and slogan has unfortunately been mired in confusion. Let me also remind participants that Motto and Slogan are two different things, let's refer to google for clarification.
In bid to ensure fairness, and to protect the articulate minority from the passive majority, I (the moderator) hereby call for a snap vote between ENYI and ANYI and respective motto and slogan.

The vote will be simple and limited to the conference members who have participated up to the moment.

Specifically, within the next 48 hrs, conference members are to nominate their preference between those two option (ANYI and ENYI) in only three lines.

i.e. Name: My Chosen Name
Motto: Here I stand
Slogan: Igbo Kwenu! Yaah!!

Please nominate it once and move on. Double nominations risk been nullified. The chosen name will be declared in 48 hours. New conference members are not allowed to participate in this snap vote. We have to deal with the issue once and for all.

The floor has since been opened for debate on 'Aims and Objectives' to cement the core pursuit of the movement. Several conference members have given their opinions on this. Nevertheless, more participants are encouraged to have their say on this salient aspect of the constitution.

While the discussions on Aims and Objectives may continue, participants (old and new) should brace for the next phase of the Conference - 'Membership and Eligibility'
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... by remarkD(m): 1:55am On Jul 03, 2012
"So what is the name of your group?" ... ""Its called 'ENYI... Ndi Igbo ebiliwo!" (The udaolu on "enyi" denoting that of "friend" as opposed to elephant; giving a sense of saying "Friend, the Igbos have risen!" ...
Risen to?... objectives include reclaiming the future via... political/economic awareness from the grass root.
Should there be a "mission" as well as aims and objectives... cause missioin i think is the "how to" so maybe via lobbying, education programs or whatever... i'm just throwing things out there.. my two sense eh.

While i'm at it, one thing i strongly believe and wish for is that each and every citizen will know that they have a right, and should be able to contact their rep member and voice their concern on what they want from the government.
a lot of people are ignorant about politics or how the government works. There should be a means to contact senators or members of the house of reps and the public should know it.

The more aware people are of the government, the mor elikely they are to hold them accountable.

it would also be nice to have a part of the group workin gon cultural preservation. Lobbying schools, even private schools, to teach Igbo, the language, history, etc. it is disappointing when kids even in Nigeria can't speak Igbo, talkless of those abroad. yet kids born in north america of asian descent are able to speak fluetn Chinese languages.

Okay, think i've said enough for now. I am glad to see a group like this, i really hope tangible results can be produced and i will give my unflenching support as much as i can.

Ka Chi mezie okwu. Mma nu.
- Remark D.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... by Onlytruth(m): 4:22am On Jul 03, 2012
remark D: "So what is the name of your group?" ... ""Its called 'ENYI... Ndi Igbo ebiliwo!" (The udaolu on "enyi" denoting that of "friend" as opposed to elephant; giving a sense of saying "Friend, the Igbos have risen!" ...
Risen to?... objectives include reclaiming the future via... political/economic awareness from the grass root.
Should there be a "mission" as well as aims and objectives... cause missioin i think is the "how to" so maybe via lobbying, education programs or whatever... i'm just throwing things out there.. my two sense eh.

While i'm at it, one thing i strongly believe and wish for is that each and every citizen will know that they have a right, and should be able to contact their rep member and voice their concern on what they want from the government.
a lot of people are ignorant about politics or how the government works. There should be a means to contact senators or members of the house of reps [/b]and the public should know it.

[b]The more aware people are of the government, the mor elikely they are to hold them accountable.

it would also be nice to have a part of the group workin gon cultural preservation. Lobbying schools, even private schools, to teach Igbo, the language, history, etc. it is disappointing when kids even in Nigeria can't speak Igbo, talkless of those abroad. yet kids born in north america of asian descent are able to speak fluetn Chinese languages.

Okay, think i've said enough for now. I am glad to see a group like this, i really hope tangible results can be produced and i will give my unflenching support as much as i can.

Ka Chi mezie okwu. Mma nu.
- Remark D.

My brother your post is very brilliant, particularly the bolded. We have already started to map out strategies with which to publicly (and privately) hold ALL our public servants to account. We are developing that strategy in the council and we invite any brother with talent and aptitude to join that effort. We will need committees or task forces charged with doing some of what you noted.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... by Onlytruth(m): 5:03am On Jul 03, 2012
Thank you once more our able moderator PointB!

So, here are my nominations:

Name: Eastern Nigeria Youth Initiative (ENYI)
Motto: Reclaiming The future
Slogan: Bilie!

Please note that I did not say Reclaiming OUR future. I said Reclaiming THE future. cool

I would have supported ANYI too, but there is a little politico-philosophical conundrum in the words around "Alaigbo Nigeria". IMHO there is Alaigbo, and there is Nigeria. cool I would like us to retain the word for future use in case we need to secede. There was Eastern Nigeria, and there is still Eastern Nigeria though some will prefer to keep deceiving themselves with SE and SS. The matter is so clear that it can be seen even from the moon. cool

I completely support that the first phase of this movement should focus on Igboland to do some serious home cleaning; but after that we still need to relate and connect with the "outside" -our neighbors and Africa and the world. Igboland is not in the outer space. I envisage a pyramid structure with BROAD base and sharp top. Pyramid shapes are very difficult to topple. Nigeria's history shows that one must be very much connected with his immediate neighbors and be in a position to influence what they do CONSTANTLY. That is why the North is still one even after being partitioned into 19 states. That is why Nigeria threatened war when Apartheid South Africa wanted to create a military base in Equatorial Guinea during the IBB days. Nigeria responded by threat of war as well as by building a polytechnic in Equatorial Guinea. Nigeria could have focused on Nigeria only, but I assure you that she would have woken up with South African military overrunning Nigeria one day. cool
I really doubt that some of my brothers who want us to focus on Igboland alone and call it a day have actually thought about what our neighbors can do if we don't connect and influence them strongly CONSTANTLY. lol
As long as there are folks like my humble self in Igboland, we shall not repeat a past strategic mistake. cool
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... by Onlytruth(m): 5:26am On Jul 03, 2012
No more from me on this issue unless I need to respond to a misconception. I am already in the "Aims and Objectives" stage spiritually.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... by PointB: 12:50pm On Jul 03, 2012
Thank you for your contributions Eze,

A vote has been recorded in favour of

Eastern Nigeria Youth Initiative (ENYI)

The rest of us should kindly cast their votes within the specified time so that we can move on. It is also important to outline the "Aims and Objectives" of this group properly.

I would appreciate if this is stated in bullet points outlines for readability.

More comments pls...
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... by ChinenyeN(m): 1:58pm On Jul 03, 2012
Get rid of this "Eastern" thing.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... by SamIkenna: 4:58pm On Jul 03, 2012
Umunna, there's no sense in having a protracted deadlock on names, meanings and their implications. I noticed the two front-line names are ENYI and ANYI. Since it looks like they're neck to neck, I hereby humbly suggest for a tie-breaking name (at least thats what I think). The name is Ikemba Youth Initiative, IYI. We shall couple it with OnlyTruth's "Reclaiming The Future."

Lets look at IYI closely, is there any advantage/disadvantage?

Its true I suggested IYI, but I also forsee a downside to the name which is its subtle symmetry with MASSOB. I have nothing against MASSOB but I have a feeling a name such as IYI might appear Massobish and consequently causing us to lose our voice. The good part is that the name is an Igbo name that's very appealing to many outside Alaigbo. In fact we can simplify the magnitude and strength of the name, Ikemba, as a function of Nigerian age. The more Nigeria appreciates in age the more Ikemba will be revered. Like I said, the name has the "it" to carry many people outside our territory along just as it has the "it" also to have our voice drowned in Nigerian noise.

This is my own attempt and, possibly, the last to break the tie. I'll be voting very soon (final vote).
Umunna, ekelem unu.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... by Afam4eva(m): 5:01pm On Jul 03, 2012
IYI in igbo means "curse". let's be careful with the kind of name we use so that people don't think it is a secret cult.

I think we should give pointB or Onlytruth the honour of choosing any of the two names(ENYI and ANYI) since we can't seem to reach to a consensus. We can always change the name when we're stabilized as a group.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... by ChinenyeN(m): 5:02pm On Jul 03, 2012
Either define "Eastern" or just get rid of ENYI.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... by Afam4eva(m): 5:05pm On Jul 03, 2012
ChinenyeN: Either define "Eastern" or just get rid of ENYI.
Eastern, in the Nigerian context is known as the home of Igbos even though Igbos are not more eastern than cross river and akwa-ibom state. So, eastern simply means "Igboland" which includes Anioma just across the niger. Don't be confused with the fact that Anioma was part of the western region. It was just a political creation.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... by SamIkenna: 5:06pm On Jul 03, 2012
ChinenyeN: Get rid of this "Eastern" thing.

Brother ChinenyeN, with due respect I would like you to give us a name or vote for one. Lets not cut our nose to spite the face. Eastern is as Igbo as apple pie is to America. There's no way we can get Eastern out of our Homeland, remember there is a reason we're called the rising sun. Its not just because we think we're rising or were rising (if you considered the 60s), its also because the sun in Nigeria appears from our horizon. Brother, there's nothing wrong with Eastern or East as they all point in one direction - IGBOLAND.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... by ChinenyeN(m): 5:07pm On Jul 03, 2012
There is no room for ambiguity in choosing a name. If you want to say Igboland, then say Igboland and mean Igboland, and not "Eastern", which has far more inclusive implications that simply "Igboland".
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... by Afam4eva(m): 5:09pm On Jul 03, 2012
ChinenyeN: There is no room for ambiguity in choosing a name. If you want to say Igboland, then say Igboland and mean Igboland.
I think you're right. We should just use Igbo Youth movement or Igboland for Change.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... by ChinenyeN(m): 5:11pm On Jul 03, 2012
afam4eva: I think you're right. We should just use Igbo Youth movement or Igboland for Change.
Exactly. This is better. Something simple, objective and non-ambiguous. All this effort being put into this thread is not being put in here for the sake of others. So I don't see why there should be even the slightest hint of inclusivity.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... by SamIkenna: 5:21pm On Jul 03, 2012
afam4eva: IYI in igbo means "curse". let's be careful with the kind of name we use so that people don't think it is a secret cult.

I think we should give pointB or Onlytruth the honour of choosing any of the two names(ENYI and ANYI) since we can't seem to reach to a consensus. We can always change the name when we're stabilized as a group.

Thank you brother Afam. Let me put it succinctly, I have no vested interest in the name "Ikemba Youth Initiative," in fact we can make it "Ikemba Nigeria Youth Initiative" if it'll break the tie. Yes, IYI is a curse but it also means river if we're to go by my dialect. However, there is one thing I noticed which is - we all seem to agree on "....... Nigerian Youth Initiave." The only area we're over-debating is on what takes the place of "........" For me I think "Eastern" is slightly more appropriate even though it has its own limitations.

In one of my responses I said we can choose one and move on because we all know as things progress we can change whatever is not maximally serving us. So based on that I dont really care so much about the difference between ANYI and ENYI, what I want is to get many brothers onboard whether they're for ANYI or ENYI (thats where IYI or INYI comes in).
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... by Onlytruth(m): 5:26pm On Jul 03, 2012
Umunna, ezigara m unu imeelu. Biko nu onye obula guo imeelu ya.
Dalu nu, jisie nu ike!

I thank everyone for contributing.

Igbo kwenu! grin cool cool cool
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... by ACM10: 5:41pm On Jul 03, 2012
afam4eva:
I think you're right. We should just use Igbo Youth movement or Igboland for Change.

Igbo Youth Movement(IYM) already exist. That will amount to duplication.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... by Afam4eva(m): 5:42pm On Jul 03, 2012
ACM10:

Igbo Youth Movement(IYM) already exist. That will amount to duplication.
I kinda thought so too because the name is too generic. We can just use something similar.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... by SamIkenna: 5:46pm On Jul 03, 2012
ChinenyeN:
Exactly. This is better. Something simple, objective and non-ambiguous. All this effort being put into this thread is not being put in here for the sake of others. So I don't see why there should be even the slightest hint of inclusivity.

There's nothing wrong with subtle inclusiveness while pursuing one's interest. We're still in Nigeria, we're not an island yet.

On Igbo youth Movement, I think there's a group out there with a similar name or something close. Going by Igbo Youth Movement is kind of saying - we're interested in name proliferation, we just want a group for group sake. I dont think thats what we want. The existing Igbo youth_something group I'm talking about is a very political group that occasionally shows up alongside OPC, Asari Dokubo, and, I think its Arewa youth forum to champion SNC on the pages of Nigerian Newspapers.

Our own group shall operate as Igbo group that's interested in championing Igbo cause right in the heart of Igboland. We want to put the feet of our governors and elected officials in a literal crucible. We cant change Abuja but we can change our own, or at the very least, give our own representatives some sort of strength and back-up power to make and stand by their demands in Abuja. Take GEJ for example, all the agreements and promises he made to our people - where are they? Is he not busy sucking up to the North?

If we had an organization that was very credible, vocal, and ready to rumble in the east and in the media, GEJ would have done something by now. Our governors and leaders would have told him point blank - GEJ you're on your own if you let us down. They would have said so because they know anything less than what the agreement says would incure the wrath and smear campaign a group such as ours would engage against them.

I'm sorry brothers for digressing a bit, it happens sometimes.
lets get this thing going.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... by ChinenyeN(m): 6:06pm On Jul 03, 2012
Sam Ikenna, there is nothing wrong with cooperation, but unfounded inclusivity is just not necessary.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... by PointB: 6:16pm On Jul 03, 2012
Pls let us stop with the cacophony of names. Let's stick with the plan and get this over and done with. The subsisting suggestion is that we VOTE for our choice between two previous names which has been advanced with reasons.

So far only one VOTE has been cast.

Let me reiterate:

In bid to ensure fairness, and to protect the articulate minority from the passive majority, I (the moderator) hereby call for a snap vote between ENYI and ANYI and respective motto and slogan.

The vote will be simple and limited to the conference members who have participated up to the moment.

Specifically, within the next 48 hrs, conference members are to nominate their preference between those two option (ANYI and ENYI) in only three lines.

i.e.

Name: My Chosen Name
Motto: Here I stand
Slogan: Igbo Kwenu! Yaah!!

Please nominate it once and move on. Double nominations risk been nullified. The chosen name will be declared in 48 hours. New conference members are not allowed to participate in this snap vote. We have to deal with the issue once and for all.

At this time we have less than 48 hours to conclude the VOTE. Think deeply, and make up your mind.

I think at this very moment, council members should recess to their inner chamber to confer and make up their mind what they really want for this group.

Umunna, onu nu n'aka.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... by SamIkenna: 6:17pm On Jul 03, 2012
Our able organizer, PointB, take note of my vote.

Name: ENYI
Motto: "Reclaiming and Seeking for a Brighter Future"
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... by SamIkenna: 6:19pm On Jul 03, 2012
Umunna biko lenu emeelu unu. O nwere ihem dere unu.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... by PointB: 6:21pm On Jul 03, 2012
^^

Your vote is noted brother Sam_Ikenna.

Thank you.
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... by remarkD(m): 6:29pm On Jul 03, 2012
Thats really good to know, I'm glad. its time for action and results. Okpukpu ga adindu ozo!
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... by remarkD(m): 6:43pm On Jul 03, 2012
Not to lose focus or anything, but iyi in Igbo izugbe is river or stream. Maybe you meant in your dialect though.
If I may, to reiterate what our NL Eze has already said, we do not want to box ourseles in a corner from the start. Yes, we would start from Igbos specifically, but in ten to twenty years time, when igbo land is flowing with milk and honey, we might still say we could have gone further had we spread our tentacles across eastern Nigeria or Nigeria as a whole.
Yes, we want to focus or start from core igbos, but shall we end it there... as the song goes.. o nuru ukwe nwanne agbala oso." We should want to keep the door open for others to come in, but doesnt mean we ourselves are gonna walk out our door and start calling on our neighbors when we havent set it straight in-house.

The name is not strikingly as important as aims, objectives and mission, methinks, so why cant we move past this stage, biko nu.

1 Like

Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... by remarkD(m): 7:49pm On Jul 03, 2012
Youth Movement Ndigbo... it has the syntax of the Igbo language... but of course yMN does not form an Igbo word like ENYI or IYI and ANYI (Friend, river and we respectively).
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... by remarkD(m): 8:18pm On Jul 03, 2012
oh sorry, we moving on already, that's good.
If my vote is gonna count, i vote for:
Name: ENYI.
Motto: Nigeria nile ebiliwo! even forms an Igbo word too!

As the honorable Point /B mentioned, vote!no matter what the outcome of the name will be, lets be united and change our land, people! If its only the Igbos in diaspora that put their heads and resources together, building a manufacturing plant in ala Igbo is possible, mechanized farming is possible on a large scale... there is nothing we can't do, but first, we have to come together. Come one, come all! (all Ndigbo i must add lol).
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... by SamIkenna: 8:30pm On Jul 03, 2012
remark D: oh sorry, we moving on already, that's good.
If my vote is gonna count

As the honorable Point /B mentioned, vote!no matter what the outcome of the name will be, lets be united and change our land, people! If its only the Igbos in diaspora that put their heads and resources together, building a manufacturing plant in ala Igbo is possible, mechanized farming is possible on a large scale... there is nothing we can't do, but first, we have to come together. Come one, come all! (all Ndigbo i must add lol).

Brother your vote definitely counts. You see, I was trying to highlight the most interesting lines in your post, need I say I ended up highlighting everything?
Re: Eze Ndi Igbo Parliamentary Office - Constitutional Conference in Progress... by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jul 03, 2012
i think that "ENYI" has already won yesterday
we should not be trying to please everyone

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (21) (Reply)

Id-el-fitr: FG Declares Friday 17, Monday 20 July Public Holidays / Dapo Abiodun: Ijebu Ode-Epe Expressway Will Be Ready By Christmas / Crackdown On Corrupt Judges: How BVN Gave Out Suspects’ Hidden Cash-the Vanguard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.