Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,793 members, 7,817,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:33 AM

Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them - Autos (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them (20322 Views)

Sold...Sold...Mercedes Benz / Do You Have Any Accidented Cars? We Can Buy Them! / Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before Paying For Them-episode 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them by Emperoh(m): 7:32am On May 20, 2012
More revelations!!!
A lot of carelss talk. It is quite unfortunate that dis happened. I wonder if Lekky was aware dis car's engine has been worked on?

So so so sad! I feel for u Lekky!
Re: Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them by damola1: 9:26am On May 20, 2012
Abuja4sale: DRIVER STORY; “The Naked Truth is better than the best dressed lies”

Dear Nairalanders,
My name is Biola Akinwande, my user’s names on Nairaland are Abuja4sale and Biowande. I am appealing to fellow Nairalanders to run through my posts since I joined this forum and you would see that faithfulness and truthfulness is my philosophy in life. This reply is coming late due to the fact that I have been sick since I came back to Abuja four days back due to the big whitlow on my right hand. Here is the truth and nothing but the truth on the Rav4 sold by Damola1 to Lekky2.

I and Alhaji Kamoru (Lekky2) worked in the same NGO in Abuja. I used my part time in a partnership with one of our director to run an Auto Business; my car stand is located beside GTB, Area 3, Garki. I recommend our current clearing agent (Accl 200); whom I met on Nairaland to my partner and it has been nice doing business on Nairaland. Please note, I used my weekends to bring our cars from Tincan to Abuja and I am in charge of marketing and sales. I introduced Alhaji (my supervisor) to Nairaland two years back. And so far so good, I have assisted Alhaji to sell three of his cars (Highlander, Toyota and Rav4).

Please note, it was after Alhaji had paid the first payment (N500, 000) that he consulted me to assist him to bring the said car (2008 Rav4) from Lagos to Abuja. And as I am presently on annual leave I promised to assist him last Friday 11th May; same day the balance (N1, 500,000) was paid to Damola GTB Account. I prepared the legal document for the transfer and I told Damola on Alhaji’s phone that the “deed of sales” is to be paid by the seller that I charges N50, 000 for the stamped document, though Damola promised that when I come to Lagos we shall negotiate. I told Damola that I would enter night bus to Lagos same day and that he should bring the car to Berger on Saturday morning and he agreed, as I don’t have other things doing inside Lagos as this has been my practice with our agent (Accl 200). I called Damola when our bus got to Ibadan and I told him that by 7am I would have reach Berger and he said no problem. I got to Berger by 7am but was surprised that Damola was no where to be found. I called Alhaji and he promised to call Damola to find out why? Alhaji called me back that Damola said he cannot bring the car to Berger as agreed that I should come to 1, Modupe Street, Adeniyi Jones Ikeja.

Though I was not happy but Alhaji appealed with me to meet Damola at the above address. I took bike to Ikeja inside the rain and was surprised that it took Damola 45 minutes after I got to the address before he finally show up with the car with a friend of his. And immediately the dead of sales were signed at exactly 9.25am on Saturday 12th May. As I went through the document I discovered that the last vehicle license was missing and I told Damola that without the document I cannot drive the car to Abuja. Damola responded that his priority in life is “to make money not to disturb himself with vehicle particulars, that his driver is the one driving the car” So this warrants us going to Damola’s House to check the document. Please note Damola was driving while his friend was by his side and I was seated at the back seat as we were going I noticed seven lights (check engine, airbag, abs, fuel, vcr?, bad alignment and one other signal) shows on the dashboard and I observed the driving was not smooth. I told Damola to enter the AP Filling Station closer to his office to do the wheel balancing and alignment. But I received the shock of my life when Damola told the technician that he cannot pay N3,500 for both wheel balancing and alignment that the technician should go ahead with only alignment which cost N1,000. That he had brought a Belgium tire two days ago plus
N1, 000 alignments is the highest cost he could bear on that car. As we came down for the alignment I was also shocked to discovered that the VIN of the car could not be view through the left side bottom of the widescreen and I told Damola that “this car is accidented” and Damola responded “Welcome to Nigerian-Used” I called Alhaji immediately that there are seven lights on the dashboard and he asked me to give the phone to Damola. Distinguish Nairaladers, if you see the way Damola talked to Alhaji on phone that he expected Alhaji to come and inspect the car before he paid for it and he (Damola) cannot do more than the Belgium tire and alignment. I told Damola he lied on the advert of the car on nairaland.com and he told me that is business. I could not even ask him money for the deed of sales. From there we went to his house for the missing document and I drove the car for the first time from his house to Lagos Ibadan Express way coming to Abuja.

The seven lights had reduced to six after I brought fuel (fuel light off). And as I was driving along Lagos Ibadan Express way I observed the temperature was at the center, this surprised me as the engine is not V6. I had used two V6 as my personal cars and I know the temperature rises faster to the center and it remains at the center all through whichever journey. So I called Alhaji that the car is doing overheating and he advised I should add radiator coolant which I added and please note, I never put on the AC. As I moved like 15minutes I observed the temperature is rising above average and I packed again to check the fans; which were working. Though the fans look smaller for the engine, which was why I brought a bag of pure water as stand by should in case the radiator need water.

I have my eyes on the temperature all through and immediately I observed the temperature suddenly comes down to zero level and the car is still moving I packed at the next filling station to check what went wrong. A mechanic added water to the radiator and suggested I avoid hold up. For some of us that ply Lagos / Ibadan express way on last Saturday morning we would observed a long holdup as a result of four trailers that had a collision on the way to Ibadan so I followed the old road in other to avoid holdup but suddenly the engine stopped and refuses to start and I had to call people; who assisted me to push the car to the mechanic; who confirm that the top cylinder casket is burnt. I was shocked that a temperature that is a little above average could burn the top cylinder casket this implies the temperature signs on the dashboard is not accurate. I also called Damola and he promised to call me back as soon as he speak to his mechanic and he called back with Damola’s mechanic asking what went wrong and I told him and later promised to get back to me as soon as he settle talk with Damola but they never did.

As soon as the mechanic open the started the work on Sunday, I could not believed my eyes that the last time the engine was repaired by Damola, two nuts were missing right inside the engine and there are lots of other shabby works already done on the vehicle.

Please note, Damola is not worthy to be trusted the below mails said it all.

See copy of the exchanged mails and more pictures……

Damola damola@damola.com

May 14 (5 days ago)

to Kamoru, me
What would you have me do then?

Business for me must be a win win for all parties concerned at all times, that's why I left a career in oil and gas to retail.

The value of the car is well above what you purchased it for. If you've got a better proposition, I will be glad to hear it. I have not cheated you in anyway. I have spent a lot to keep the car in good shape, but if you feel anyway cheated, please return the car, and you'll get a full refund. I have only asked for time to resell and put it up.

You didn't have to ' overhaul ' the engine, since I left it in a perfectly working condition.

I do not need ' your money ' to run my business. I sold you ' my car '. It's that simple.

Thank you.

Damola.

On 14 May 2012 20:37, Kamoru Olalekan <ola4u3@gmail.com> wrote:

Bros,
Thanks for your mail.
But hear urself again.
I should return the car back to you in a good working condition and you will refund my money(which i paid into your acount cash) back to me via a posdated check 1 month after you have gotten your vehicle back.
So what is the meaning of this?
The meaning is simply that after you would have had your vehicle back ina good working condition better than the way i collected it (since i had almost overhaul the engine for you) you will still use my 2 million Naira to run your business and when you are finally done with it, i can now have it back after a month.
This now makes me belief that this is advance fee fraud popularly called "419".
Now that i have known your type of person, it is better we consider this case closed. You may not bother to write me again on this isssue or call me and i wiill not do either.

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 7:55 PM, Damola <damola@damola.com> wrote:

Thank you for this update.

More people have trusted me, and I can only count a few times I have failed.

And my structure or system cannot accept the complaint you just made. Your trust is not misplaced. I was not afraid for the potential buyer to inspect it. And am sorry if you think I played you. I will now try to fix it.

I am willing to accept the car back in a working condition as it's left, and I will issue you a post dated check ( 1 month from date of delivery) for the exact amount you paid.

I am sorry for inconvenience caused.

Br.

Damola.

Damola damola@damola.com

May 15 (4 days ago)

to me
I have no business with you sir. Please do not communicate with me. You've chosen to insult me.

On 15 May 2012 06:47, <biowande@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Damola,
Though I would not speak for Kamoru on this matter. But remember what I told you when I came down to Lagos from Abuja to freight the car that you are full of deceits.

I drove the car for the first time after the deed of sales had been signed, as you led me out of your estate. I find out that the hands of the car is out of shape and six/seven lights shows on the dashboard. i.e 'check engine' 'malfunction airbag' 'abs' 'vcr' 'passenger seat belt; even as there is no single passenger in the car' 'non alignment; even after your N1,000 paid alignment' and lots more. You sold an accidented vehicle; chassis welded, air bags damaged, head collision, bad steering, damaged head. And that is one of the reason you didn't include the front view pictures until aftermath. And to crown it all you 'forgot' to type accidented in your advert on nairaland.com. When I could not view the VIN through the wide screen I told you to your face that the car is accidented and your response was 'welcome to Nigeria-Used' afterall N2M was already paid to your account two days earlier.

What a flamboyant statement that 'you don't need Kamoru's money to run your business' Must you sold the car after receipt before the N2M that was less than 4 days in your account could be return back to Kamoru. To me, your attitude is nothing but a proud and deceit spoil child. An empty drum that is so full of himself.

Since, I collected the car on saturday, the car never make it to Ibadan. It started overheating right from Berger Lagos, even the radiator coolant and bags of sachet water I brought could not subside the overheating and by the time it got to Redemption camp the temperature had risen to just above average thereafter the engine stopped working. As the mechanic arrived I could not believe my eyes that a car with a major accident of such could be sold for N2M. As 2008 Model you claimed it is the car is nothing but a dumping rubbish. I now know the reason why after we agreed to met at Berger even before I left Abuja on Friday night, you didn't showup at Berger as I finally came down to Ikeja and waited 45 minutes before you finally showup with the car. Though your conscience is dead because if I were you I would never find peace with such cash transaction. And I don't think you would also whether you like it or not. Except you turn a new leaf, nemesis awaits you at a conner. At least you repeatedly said your own priority is 'to make money no matter how' and I told you that you should check my posts on nairaland that faithfulness is my key in business.

Up till now, we have spent N100,000 on the salvage you called a car. And the technician are still working on it maybe in next two days we shall see if I would be fit to enter Ibadan. We have learnt our lessons in a bitter way. Though I begged Kamoru not to expose your deceitfulness on the tread you used to advertised the car on same night you went online to inform nairalanders that the new owner had picked the salvage rubbish. And I also believed you would have rushed to your shrine to thank your god for bringing a 'mumu' like itself to buy the car. Can't imagine you said the value of such accidented rubbish is above N2M? You are nothing but 'omo ti a ko to ti ongbele ti a kota'

Kamoru Olalekan ola4u3@gmail.com
7:51 PM (4 hours ago)

to damola, sales, me

Dear Damola,
It had been concluded and advised that the engine of the car be changed after all efforts to get it started again today proved abortive.
The reason given is that the engine had serious complications and for the car to be back on the road again, a replacement engine is desirable.
He has promised to get me what it will cost me to install a new engine in the car on Monday as he is going to make enquiry from ladipo market in Lagos.
Please note that today marks a week after the car was released to me without getting value for my N2m.So the earlier we get this replacement engine, the better.
At this junction, i will write off all the costs i had incurred so far to ressurrect the engine, which is about 130k in total.
But be ever prepared that this new cost of installing a replacement engine will be borne by two of us 50-50, the cost which i will communicate to you as it gets to me on Monday.At least, two of us are suppose to bear the loss.But mine has been greater
I hope i have been fair enough.
I await ur usual swift response.
I

Anyone who buys a car from you is in for it. Cos, you are a monkey.

I prepared the legal document for the transfer and I told Damola on Alhaji’s phone that the “deed of sales” is to be paid by the seller that I charges N50, 000 for the stamped document, though Damola promised that when I come to Lagos we shall negotiate.

I told you on the phone, I wouldn't pay for anything else. This same document would be done for less than N500, typed out A4 page, with 2 N50 stamps. So, please.

I got to Berger by 7am but was surprised that Damola was no where to be found. I called Alhaji and he promised to call Damola to find out why? Alhaji called me back that Damola said he cannot bring the car to Berger as agreed that I should come to 1, Modupe Street, Adeniyi Jones Ikeja.

Monkey, how can you buy a 2M car, that you've not inspected and expect to do a roadside exchange. Where did you come from man?..

Please note Damola was driving while his friend was by his side and I was seated at the back seat as we were going I noticed seven lights (check engine, airbag, abs, fuel, vcr?, bad alignment and one other signal) shows on the dashboard and I observed the driving was not smooth. I told Damola to enter the AP Filling Station closer to his office to do the wheel balancing and alignment. But I received the shock of my life when Damola told the technician that he cannot pay N3,500 for both wheel balancing and alignment that the technician should go ahead with only alignment which cost N1,000. That he had brought a Belgium tire two days ago plus
N1, 000 alignments is the highest cost he could bear on that car. As we came down for the alignment I was also shocked to discovered that the VIN of the car could not be view through the left side bottom of the widescreen and I told Damola that “this car is accidented” and Damola responded “Welcome to Nigerian-Used” I called Alhaji immediately that there are seven lights on the dashboard and he asked me to give the phone to Damola. Distinguish Nairaladers, if you see the way Damola talked to Alhaji on phone that he expected Alhaji to come and inspect the car before he paid for it and he (Damola) cannot do more than the Belgium tire and alignment. I told Damola he lied on the advert of the car on nairaland.com and he told me that is business. I could not even ask him money for the deed of sales. From there we went to his house for the missing document and I drove the car for the first time from his house to Lagos Ibadan Express way coming to Abuja.

Like I said, anyone that works with you is in for it, you are a monkey. You had the power & capacity to halt the sale, the vehicle was brought, you checked everything before we signed the deed of sales in my office. I asked you specifically do you want to drive the car, and you declined. And Even after we signed, I asked you to drive at least 2 more times, and you still declined. Do you think you can do all this on your roadside berger?

Shock of your life?... I informed the buyer I wouldn't spend a dime on the vehicle 3 days earlier, but still went ahead to buy him a tire.

And as I was driving along Lagos Ibadan Express way I observed the temperature was at the center, this surprised me as the engine is not V6. I had used two V6 as my personal cars and I know the temperature rises faster to the center and it remains at the center all through whichever journey. So I called Alhaji that the car is doing overheating and he advised I should add radiator coolant which I added and please note, I never put on the AC. As I moved like 15minutes I observed the temperature is rising above average and I packed again to check the fans; which were working. Though the fans look smaller for the engine, which was why I brought a bag of pure water as stand by should in case the radiator need water.

I have my eyes on the temperature all through and immediately I observed the temperature suddenly comes down to zero level and the car is still moving I packed at the next filling station to check what went wrong. A mechanic added water to the radiator and suggested I avoid hold up. For some of us that ply Lagos / Ibadan express way on last Saturday morning we would observed a long holdup as a result of four trailers that had a collision on the way to Ibadan so I followed the old road in other to avoid holdup but suddenly the engine stopped and refuses to start and I had to call people; who assisted me to push the car to the mechanic; who confirm that the top cylinder casket is burnt. I was shocked that a temperature that is a little above average could burn the top cylinder casket this implies the temperature signs on the dashboard is not accurate. I also called Damola and he promised to call me back as soon as he speak to his mechanic and he called back with Damola’s mechanic asking what went wrong and I told him and later promised to get back to me as soon as he settle talk with Damola but they never did.

It started overheating right from Berger Lagos, even the radiator coolant and bags of sachet water I brought could not subside the overheating and by the time it got to Redemption camp the temperature had risen to just above average thereafter the engine stopped working.

You are an incompetent fool that's costing me and the owner a lot of money. All you had to do was call me immediately it started, and returned the car back, Even though I had signed and done the deal, I would have gladly arranged for a refund. Monkey, how do you expect to take a car from Lagos to Abuja when the temp. started rising. Are your daft or what?... Or maybe you are just high on the pure water...

Your stories are so long, am lost already.... Like I said from day 1. Return the car and get a refund, this monkey knows my residence and also my office, he didn't have to know, cos he wanted it to be done in Berger, and I know their company too.

Anyway, I have warned you never to communicate with me again.... It's very tough to talk to people that cannot make a statement without calling names.

Heck, beats me, how can a 'car dealer' not know how to get his job done?
Re: Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them by Busybody2(f): 10:09am On May 20, 2012
After all's been said and done, the four of you are to blame here.

Well technically Alhaji K should be absolved of any blame cos his only crime was to rely on blind faith as well as the endorsement by "the oracle" . . .but Alhaji K's obvious predilection to er. . .eni-nwa-ifa. . . too-good-to-be-true-cheap frill played a part too, hence reason he threw caution to the wind and dove right in, against the dictates of commonsense. . .

FINAL VERDICT:

Alhaji K ~ 100% of the blame for covetousness and carelessness minus 50% for trust = 50% for the whole blame.

The Oracle ~ For rubberstamping not only the ”origin”, but also the "lifetime", haba what were you thinking or rather why were you not thinking! I don't blame Alhaji K for twice coyly mentioning that your involvement on Damola's thread as the force majeure that gave him the reassurance to go ahead with the transaction. Therefore, 10% of the blame is meandering its way to you.

The two remaining parties can share the blame anyhow they deem fit, but IMHO Damola1 is 25% to blame, whilst Abuja4sale should bear 15% of the blame, I refuse to buy that lame excuse up there that it only dawned on you that you had been sold a lemon only after the mechanic who diagnosed the burnt top cylinder gasket was summoned a day later. . .but to be fair on you, you were strictly solely acting under the orders of Alhaji K.

Alhaji K, your utmost trust in your fellow human being did not go amiss, and you need to be commended for this. Keep it up.
Re: Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them by Lekky2: 10:10am On May 20, 2012
Dear All,
I think it is better at this point to advice all parties involved to eschew our bitterness, sheath our swords and stop hurling abusive language at one another.We should also be mature in the way we talk to ourselves on NL because he whole world is watching.Let us try as much as possible not to wash our dirty linen in the public. It has happened, it has happened, let us all agree to a mutual and understanding solution and move forward. To err they is human, but to forgive is divine.So,let us learn to repect each other views on this matter. No idea is right or wrong and that is the way i see it.

We should be happy that it is money that is lost in this matter and not life.In 2009, i lost a whopping N1.2m to armed robbers who trailed me from GTBank(Dugbe branch) in Ibadan to my site at Irewolede estate in Soka,Ibadan at gun point.I was lucky not to be shut because the rest would have been history.But i was able to move on and put the issue behind me and glory be to God, i have done transactions worth of millions of Naira after then.But if life had been lost, i would not be alive to achieve what i had achieved today or be where i am today not to talk of even tell the story.In life, we learn everyday and as each day passes by, we will continue to be learning until we enter the grave.(This is one of the principle of islam)
But in my usual gentle man kindedness, i have written a mail to Damola yesternight of which inspired motor was copied, telling him that it had been sdvised that a replacement engine be installed if the vehicle has to be back on road, as all efforts geared at getting it started proved abortive.
I had decided to waive all previous expenses i had incurred on the car in the past, but propose to Damola in my mail that the cost of the installation of the replacement engine (and this include purchase of engine + xportation cost + workmanship) be shared by the two of us 50-50, which to me i think is fair enough (Though i stand to be corrected if wrong)Though Damola has agreed to my proposition, but i am yet to forward to him as requested the cost implication of the replacement angine which i promise to forward to him as soon as i have it.
Re: Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them by Lekky2: 8:07pm On May 21, 2012
Dear All,
This is to give you the update on the replacement engine of the controversial 08 RAV 4.
The cost implication of replacing the engine with transportaion and workmanship was put at a total cost of 320k.I have written Damaola 1 on this and he has conceded in the affirmative that the cost will be borne 50-50 as agreed by us.
He has requested for my bank account and that he will be paying his own part of the obligation on Wednesday and that he will also like to have the old engine removed from the car back of which i promised to do so.The only bottle neck here will be how the engine will get to him from Ibadan being present location of the vehicle.But i promise to try my possible best on this.
Anyway i have furnished him with my account number and equqlly promised to scan and attach the invoice of engine purchased and all other incidental expenses that makes the total estimated cost on this thread.
I have also advice that he equally scan and attach the teller with which he used to make payment into my account on this thread to show fulfilment of his own part of the obligation.
Inspired motors is being copied in each of the mails we exchanged.
I promise to give you update as event unfold.
Re: Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them by Martini101(m): 7:37am On May 22, 2012
Chai. This Alhaji is too good, He is considering giving Damola d Bad Engine!! Alhaji, why nt put d Engine inside d boot of ur car, carry it to Abuja and sell it to Engine parts dealer. Atleast to recoup some of ur money. My candid Advice.

1 Like

Re: Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 8:02am On May 22, 2012
It is particularly sad that nearly everyone on this thread has discounted the very essence of Salesmanship - TRUST , rather we have focused on blaming Alhaji for not inspecting a car before buying it. I suspect that a lot of posters on this thread are actually car dealers and cannot bring themselves to the point of beign a buyer. It is a pathetic excuse we are all making for damola and it is a sad development for Nairaland Autos. If you all think that this issue will rest with this thread - you are dead wrong, a lot of viewers have made the realization that they cannot TRUST every Auto-sales Post they read on Nairaland. It is even more sad that many have actually gone to inspect the so-called CLEAN, MINT, PERFECT, CHILLING cars - have been disappointed. I know one Highlander in Festac on Nairaland that is similar to what Alhaji bought. The pictures posted are different from the actual car and it had more than superficial problems. The real owner could not be found after they pressured me to sign a cheque for the full amount to a 3rd party. This poster is still very much on Nairaland and one Nairalander will buy this car and be in a similar situation.

I wonder why we cannot bring ourselves to accept the plain fact that this Damola character is not Trustworthy, rather we blame a man who Trusted him well enough to pay him N2million for trash. Na waooo.

1 Like

Re: Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them by 3ace(m): 10:13am On May 22, 2012
I have been following this thread ever before the title was changed. So interesting; it's like I'm watching a moviegrin

Seriously, I'm impressed that this dispute is gradually reaching a peaceful end particularly without the intervention of lawyers and police. Like I said before, this development and other unfortunate cases on Nairaland will not deter me from patronising this forum. All I need to do is follow the rules of vehicle purchase. Alhaji, Damola, keep the update coming. We're waiting.
Re: Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them by seyigiggle: 11:36am On May 22, 2012
I HAD A SIMILAR EXPERIENCE, BUT I DID NOT ASKED FOR A REFUND BUT CARRY THE CROSS (HIGH TEMP).
MY ADVICE TO ANY ONE, DRIVE ANY CAR YOU INTEND TO PURCHASE ON EXPRESSWAY ON 120KM BEROFRE YOU MAKE PAYMENT. THATS IS MY DEAL, NO MIND ON FUEL
Re: Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them by Lekky2: 1:01pm On May 22, 2012
@ martini101,
I will still give the old engine to damola as requested by him.It is still his own and not mine since he is contributing to the purchase of the replacement engine.I dont need the old engine as there is nothing i am going to do with it.
He has shown some level of matruity and sense of transparency on the whole issue so far to an extent. At least replying my sms, mails and still contributing to this thread.
What if he decided to bolt-away and swith off his phone after katakata burst like what most Nigerian seller will do,when this kind of problem happens.
So let me display my own level of maturity and transparency too since he has displayed his.
@ 3ace
I have promise to give all neccessary update on the whole saga to the point of conclusion.

1 Like

Re: Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them by Emperoh(m): 1:26pm On May 22, 2012
lagerwhenindoubt: It is particularly sad that nearly everyone on this thread has discounted the very essence of Salesmanship - TRUST , rather we have focused on blaming Alhaji for not inspecting a car before buying it. I suspect that a lot of posters on this thread are actually car dealers and cannot bring themselves to the point of beign a buyer. It is a pathetic excuse we are all making for damola and it is a sad development for Nairaland Autos. If you all think that this issue will rest with this thread - you are dead wrong, a lot of viewers have made the realization that they cannot TRUST every Auto-sales Post they read on Nairaland. It is even more sad that many have actually gone to inspect the so-called CLEAN, MINT, PERFECT, CHILLING cars - have been disappointed. I know one Highlander in Festac on Nairaland that is similar to what Alhaji bought. The pictures posted are different from the actual car and it had more than superficial problems. The real owner could not be found after they pressured me to sign a cheque for the full amount to a 3rd party. This poster is still very much on Nairaland and one Nairalander will buy this car and be in a similar situation.

I wonder why we cannot bring ourselves to accept the plain fact that this Damola character is not Trustworthy, rather we blame a man who Trusted him well enough to pay him N2million for trash. Na waooo.

Chairman
Thanks for your input. I really appreciate your observation. You are one of the few person i respect on this forum, i don't know why grin grin shocked
You see, i really get worried when issues like this crop up because without some of our dealers knowing it, it is our business that gets to suffer.
You don't really get to know until you deal with someone who doesn't trust you or your judgement(this is the worst). Or when you lose sales to a rival
who you are dead sure doesn't have as much quality cars as you do.

I was surprised that given the vituperations pouring in from incensed buyers or observers, no dealer bar a few made any attempt to put things in perspective.
The seller was never, has never been, but may intend to be a dealer. But for the case in point, he is not one. Hence i find it hard to swallow
when people lump us all up, either as a pre-conceived notion or a reading carelessness. Whichever it is, it doesn't favour me as a dealer or any dealer for that matter.

But my main grouse is the issue of trust. I thank God for one thing; the seller didn't keep mute. He came back to at least salvage whatever is left of his name.
I really pity him cos from my little 'ignorance', I want to believe he did not set out to sell a lemon to the buyer, but is guilty and is paying for not fully revealing the condition or history of the unit he sold. He is paying for that now. Maybe if that car hadn't over heat along the road, we may never have heard of this deal till today.

I am also worried because i know that the future of sales in digital. People needn't leave the comfort of their homes or offices to buy or sell their wares; cars inclusive. And this can only be achieved when trust in entrenched. Therefore i shudder to think what will happen in this age of e-commerce if buyers can't trust sellers to fully disclose the condition or the exact situation their goods are in. We are already seeing the result in what Inspired M is doing here; clearing all the pre-order deals on Nairaland, simply because people can trust his final product. I urge him to keep up the game and never falter. Someone like me is also working hard to be sure i attain and surpass that standard. It is for this reason that i find it hard to believe that people are bashing Lekky 2 for his decision to buy sans inspection. At least from his experience, he has done a deal like this before and it worked out well.

Finally, you observers and buyers owe us a lot. U discovered something terrible that someone else is likely to fall into and u are keeping mute! WHY??
Expose the damn dealer and blacklist him !!!! Why do have to wait till someone is scammed before u say, "i knew it"! You are not showing love to your neighbour if you keep hiding such a dealer in our midst. If we intend benefiting from the buying convenience and comfort this real estate offers us, then it is up to us all to make it clean by exposing those out to sell lemons. It is like someone passing thru a robbery scene unhurt and then goes past a close check-point on his way without alerting the police to what is going on behind them. Where is our love for one another??!!! Must we emulate the said dealers we demonise in this regard? Hell No!!

It is to user credit that some level of exposure and openness is being attached to car sales here. People will have to disclose VIN and other issues with their cars to advertise. It is to our credit that Lekky 2 came back and is getting justice for what was done wrongly to him. I can assure you, you will hardly come by such a positive feedback from road side deals. If you do, let me know where you got such so i can go commend the person involved.

Hence, in as much as we think dealers are fraudulent, it is up to us to expose those who take advantage of us all. Those who know me will tell u that even if u approach me to buy a car and i don't have what you are looking for, that parting shot from me will be tips on how to buy the right unit.

Whatever be the case,we can only get better with time. We are not yet there, but with continuous, conscious effort, we will get there in a short time.
IT IS WELL WITH US!
Re: Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them by Lekky2: 3:31pm On May 22, 2012
Thanks Emperoh.
I appreciate your comment.
Re: Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them by Martini101(m): 9:01pm On May 22, 2012
Lekky 2: @ martini101,
I will still give the old engine to damola as requested by him.It is still his own and not mine since he is contributing to the purchase of the replacement engine.I dont need the old engine as there is nothing i am going to do with it.
He has shown some level of matruity and sense of transparency on the whole issue so far to an extent. At least replying my sms, mails and still contributing to this thread.
What if he decided to bolt-away and swith off his phone after katakata burst like what most Nigerian seller will do,when this kind of problem happens.
So let me display my own level of maturity and transparency too since he has displayed his.
@ 3ace
I have promise to give all neccessary update on the whole saga to the point of conclusion.
.@lekky. like i said, U re a good man. Since itz ur choice to give him the engine, who am i cos i know most people wont even try such after this 'experience'. As for him, switching his phone on U, that is impossible since U know his office and residence. @Damola. Try everything possible to make up with Lekky cos his type is very rare currently in Naija.@Driver. The bulk of the problem lies with U 4 trying to drive an overheating car with Radiator coolant and a bag of pure water from Lagos to Abuja. @ All, letz make Nigeria a better place
Re: Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them by Nobody: 10:28pm On May 22, 2012
The driver said he was familiar with some v6 engine cars he has driven in which their temp gauge stay in the middle through out a journey(i don't know about that),beside he said the temperature gauge was at the least when the car stopped working meaning,the gauge was deceptive(not in good order),i once blamed the driver before he narrated his side of the story.
@all,na God go help us all o
Re: Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them by Nobody: 6:42am On May 23, 2012
Alhaji has damola paid? anytime i read this thread i remember damola the con artist..hahaha

1 Like

Re: Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them by gulfer: 6:47am On May 23, 2012
Temistatics 007: The driver said he was familiar with some v6 engine cars he has driven in which their temp gauge stay in the middle through out a journey(i don't know about that),beside he said the temperature gauge was at the least when the car stopped working meaning,the gauge was deceptive(not in good order),i once blamed the driver before he narrated his side of the story.
@all,na God go help us all o
Good observation, unfortunately Alhaji may have more than the engine to swap out of the vehicle. This calls to question why the road safety / police so not have a database for vehicles to prevent issues like this. There should be a full disclosure clause introduced for all transactions if the csshless policy is to take effect or else, I fear the worst. If you buying a salvage car in the US, the damage is categorised and the buyer can make his choice.
Re: Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them by Africaine(f): 2:13pm On May 23, 2012
damola decieved the buyer,the buyer has no fault except for trusting that people still had intergrity,and am very sure he wouldnt have paid if inspired didnt put in a word about the history of the vehicle,besides imspired was innocently talking about the history before it arrived america.

the seller is fraudlent and should be banned from selling or advertising any type of vehicle be it personal or otherwise,he should return the alhaji 2million in full with no conditions attached,go and pick ur vehicle and stop talking trash about waiting till its sold before u refund the buyers money,fraudster!!!

alhaji,dont even try to do anything again,just let him pick his dead beat of a car,collect ur money,lick ur wounds and move on,stop trying to be too nice,except ur a billionaire or sumtin...and 2million is chicken feed!!!

damola the fraudster,shame on you

1 Like

Re: Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them by Nobody: 2:59pm On May 23, 2012
Have been reading all through. Kai, Alhaji is a pure gentleman! Damola, you get luck o! I can only hope you refund his money sha. And this should serve as a serious warning to those selling bad vehicles on NL #GODISWATCHINYOU# cuz your own might just meet a waterloo.
Re: Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them by 3ace(m): 10:36pm On May 23, 2012
Africaine: damola decieved the buyer,the buyer has no fault except for trusting that people still had intergrity,and am very sure he wouldnt have paid if inspired didnt put in a word about the history of the vehicle,besides imspired was innocently talking about the history before it arrived america.

the seller is fraudlent and should be banned from selling or advertising any type of vehicle be it personal or otherwise,he should return the alhaji 2million in full with no conditions attached,go and pick ur vehicle and stop talking trash about waiting till its sold before u refund the buyers money,fraudster!!!

alhaji,dont even try to do anything again,just let him pick his dead beat of a car,collect ur money,lick ur wounds and move on,stop trying to be too nice,except ur a billionaire or sumtin...and 2million is chicken feed!!!

damola the fraudster,shame on you

Madam Africana, similar comments like yours graced the early pages of this thread when this controversy was still hot. I'm sorry, such is absolutely needless at this point in time. I don't think Alhaji will even read your post twice given the fact that his fair compromise to Damola has been accepted and receiving applause from us all. So please, let them be. What we should be doing right now is to encourage them to stick to their promises and end this peacefully.

I'm not going to insult anybody but one positive thing about this whole issue is that Damola values his reputation making this resolution easier. I strongly believe that they'll work it out.
Re: Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them by Lekky2: 9:16am On May 24, 2012
Dear Nairalanders,
I would like to update you with the latest on my 08 RAV4 saga.
Damola actually valued his reputation so much as has been said/envisaged by most of you and has proved it by making a deposit of 135k into my gtb account yesterday.
He then sent me an e-mail immediately stating his reason for the shortfall(which i did not see until this morning)and that the balance of 25k will be paid later today.He equally apologise for the late payment.I just replied his mail saying i will be expecting the payment of the balance of 25k today as promised. Inspired_m was copied in both mails and i will like to use this forum to commend Mr. inspired for his intervention in this matter. He lises very well between the two of us making sure that both of us come to a mutual understanding and that the issue is best resolved without any hitches.
i want to categorically state here that, with the steps Damola has taken on this matter so far, i can conveniently do business with him in future, and therefore recommending him to any Nlder who may like to engage his service. Like i said in my previous mail, He is unlike some Nigerians who will dash away immediately, problems happen on transaction they make. At least he is not a car dealer and so is easier for him to bolt away. It is unfortunate that both of us learnt our lessons in the hard way as we both lost some money in this transaction. Anyway that is business.It cannot be a win-win situation all the time,At times we win some,or loose some.
Even though the cost estimate for the engine given went up a little when the mechanic got to ladipo market due to the fact tha the engine which the price was given to him on phone was not that too good,when they finally saw the engine at the market. But i had told Damola not to worry about that, since we had already reched an agreement.Any other increament arsing there of will be borne by me as i am ready to carry the cross.
I will give you an update as soon as he makes the balance payment later today.
Re: Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them by blank(f): 10:31am On May 24, 2012
Abeg carry your gbese Rav 4 dey go. When in 6 months, u have spent more than the cost of a new Rav 4 then you can return to Mr value his reputation and buy another one.

Can this thread just be locked abeg?

Re: Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them by gulfer: 10:56am On May 24, 2012
blank: Abeg carry your gbese Rav 4 dey go. When in 6 months, u have spent more than the cost of a new Rav 4 then you can return to Mr value his reputation and buy another one.

Most irresponsible comment i have seen on NL. Why did you have to comment when all you've spewed is t.hrash!
Re: Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them by blank(f): 11:03am On May 24, 2012
gulfer: Most irresponsible comment i have seen on NL. Why did you have to comment when all you've spewed is t.hrash!

How is it your business?
Re: Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them by gulfer: 11:29am On May 24, 2012
blank:

How is it your business?
It is my business for the same reason it is your own business to have requested the thread closed tongue
Re: Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them by blank(f): 11:37am On May 24, 2012
gulfer: It is my business for the same reason it is your own business to have requested the thread closed tongue

Be here exchanging word with a woman when your mates are bringing in money for their families.
Re: Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them by gulfer: 12:07pm On May 24, 2012
blank:

Be here exchanging word with a woman when your mates are bringing in money for their families.
Re: Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them by cardoctor(m): 2:24pm On May 24, 2012
I cant believe that you guys are still arguing on this matter. Abeg next time you want to buy a car and you lack experience of what to look out for, simply call on a vehicle diagnostics expert to check it out for you. A lot of people have fallen victim to this "under the carpet sweeping" car sellers and we have seen a lot coming into our workshop of recent.

Caveat Emptor.
Re: Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them by Lekky2: 9:02am On May 25, 2012
Dear Nairalanders,
This is to inform you all that Damola 1 has fulfilled his promise by making the balance payment of 25k into my account last night.
I want to use this forum to say a big "Thank you" to him for his understanding and support so far on this issue and look forward to doing more business with him.
My special thank goes to Inspired motor too for the intervention role he played in the matter ensuring that the two of us come to a mutual understanding without any hitches.
My special thank also goes to all Nairalanders who contributed in one way or the other for your avice, enlightenment etc etc on this issue.
The car in question has been started yesterday after installing the replacement engine and it will be delivered to Abuja by my Mechanic who did the work on Saturday or Sunday.
Based on all your advice, i will be sending someone by flight to Lagos today to thoroughly inspect and investigate another vehicle (which iintend to buy again (For my wife biz) on NL, since i now realise that it is always better & safer to send someone to carry out a thorugh Inspection of vehicles advertised on NL before making any committment most especially when the advert look too good to be true (like Emperoh will say)
On a final note, i want to say a big thank you to all of you and God bless.

1 Like

Re: Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them by pannyman(m): 9:58am On May 25, 2012
The buyer is a very wise man to have bought a 2m naira car used in Nigeria from a stranger without first inspecting it. Case closed.
Re: Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them by ACM10: 12:59am On Jun 06, 2012
blank: Abeg carry your gbese Rav 4 dey go. When in 6 months, u have spent more than the cost of a new Rav 4 then you can return to Mr value his reputation and buy another one.

lol @ gbese Rav4
grin grin grin
Re: Make Sure You Inspect Vehicles Before You Buy Them by dcglagos(m): 2:49pm On Oct 02, 2012
Hello,please can you advice on how to go about a 2007 Lifan car engine diagnosed with MAP and injector problems.I made up my mind to sell off the car but just in case the engine needs be replaced with another engine,which car brand(model)engine would you advice I seek to buy(VIN: LLV2A3A1260012545)
brendanapata@yahoo.com 08023134965
txswat: @ Lekky 2 what is the VIN of the car so I can give you an idea of what the engine would cost?

On another note if the seller is willing to refund your money IMMEDIATELY then I think you should seriously consider going that route. Buying used engines in naija can be a tricky thing sometimes. Importing a good used engine from the US from a trusted source might be the better option of the two but shipping might be cost prohibitive. I think the conclusion here is some money has gone down the drain so how much more are you willing to spend one way or another.

@ damola 1 please offer to refund the money immediately you receive the car so your reputation can be restored.

Best wishes gentleman.....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

2017 Model Toyota Corolla Sportz Toks Full Option / 2014 Model Benz E350 4matic Toks Full Option Selling Cheap / Just In Black 2016 Merecedes Benz GLC300 4matic Selling @32.5m ABJ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.