Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,151 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:50 PM

Bankers' Forum - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Bankers' Forum (89824 Views)

For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be / Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? / Why Are Some Female Customer Care Assistant Bankers Hyper-reactive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bankers' Forum by janami(f): 6:47pm On Nov 29, 2007
@ufobabe
will love to meet my birthday mate. Not staying too far either. will holla soon smiley
Re: Bankers' Forum by onyejify: 7:12pm On Nov 29, 2007
Banking! oh i love this job.
Re: Bankers' Forum by elampiro(m): 7:30pm On Nov 29, 2007
Just to register my presence.
I have been in the industry since my youth corp days, yr 2000. I am use to the stress now, however it sometimes appear as if I am not living but only existing. For the greater part of the years, I have worked virtually everyday of the year and closing very very late.

The money is OK sha.
Re: Bankers' Forum by dablessed(f): 7:52pm On Nov 29, 2007
No pain, no gain!!!
Re: Bankers' Forum by showbobo(m): 9:05pm On Nov 29, 2007
Nice thread.have any of you guys ever had a problem with your bank concerning money??maybe overpaying a customer or trouble of any sort??
Re: Bankers' Forum by Lady2(f): 10:50pm On Nov 29, 2007
I really wish u all would have fun at your jobs, I understand the stress of it, especially if it's not what u studied or no where close to what u studied, I myself would be satisfied as a banker because I love the challenge it gives, Am still in my undergrad year and would finish in April, Am studying accounting and I love it, Not everyone is cut for the job, if u find it too stressful then leave and do something that u like, I don't believe in doing things just for the money, so I really hope u all learn to love ur job,

P.s. don't go looking for a job, always get a career, in a career ur doing what u like and making money, in a job ur Just. Over. Broke.

smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Bankers' Forum by LondonCool(m): 10:53pm On Nov 29, 2007
Used to be with FBN in Nigeria and FBN (UK) Ltd, the work load can be very stressful due to the long working hours. The job is like a life sentence. They overwhelm you with Loans then when they start deducting  it from the salary staff start complaining that they are not properly paid.
Re: Bankers' Forum by Lady2(f): 11:55pm On Nov 29, 2007
@ LondonCool

How do they overwhelm u with loans?
Re: Bankers' Forum by LondonCool(m): 12:40am On Nov 30, 2007
~Lady~:

@ LondonCool

How do they overwhelm u with loans?

You get paid various loans upfront as part of your total remuneration package, such as Housing loans,Building loans,Education loans,Car Loan,Wardrobe Allowance,etc . Thats the banking culture. Those who don't complain are those staff who do not depend on their salaries due to other sources available to them.Its a vicious cycle. Well,thats my banking experience which is sure different from others.
Re: Bankers' Forum by Lady2(f): 3:41am On Nov 30, 2007
Why would u accept such loans?
Am sure u have a choice.

Take ur salary and work ur way up from there. You should be able to buy ur own clothes, house, and other things from ur salary, if u take the loans then ur buying from ur salary and it's not their fault.

Generally it's on u, not on them, cause am sure they don't hold a gun to anyone's head.
Re: Bankers' Forum by micklplus(m): 7:03am On Nov 30, 2007
Banking ! what a sweet Job ! I love my job oooo and infact i dont close late except otherwise stated ! i seldom go to work weekends and the pay is good !

I love my job and i always do what i have to do to earn my pay ! Well, the truth has to be said, banking job could be very stressful and killing especially when u are in some crazy departments where u have crazy targets and have to remove your neck to get the jobs done.

Best of luck
cheers
Re: Bankers' Forum by darqly(m): 7:13am On Nov 30, 2007
Well as concerns loans, sure you have a choice, They don't force them on you. Nonetheless, I love what I do, don't have much of a life outside the office, cos I spend most of it inside the office. I'm in the ICT section, it's gruelling smiley
Re: Bankers' Forum by ikhideman(m): 7:45am On Nov 30, 2007
Hi Bankers! I'm serving with Oceanic (Batch A); being my first time, i'm still learning the ropes. But, its not easy, after coming back from work, end up sleeping from 9pm till d next morning, read I no fit read!

I 'm hoping to be retained sha; just saw a New Federal Housing Estate coming up & really desire to own a house there, hence i cant complain about the stress.

Nairalanders, pray for me that i shall pass the test (for Batch A 2007 Corpers)coming up in January.
Re: Bankers' Forum by toyboy1(m): 8:13am On Nov 30, 2007
Hi all,
Who said banking is stressful? Then quit and go work as a civil servant where u can go haome at 2pm n get peanuts at month end which isn't even regular,
No pain, no gain,
Every good job comes with crazy targets and unbelievable deadlines.
I cant leave this job for any other except Oil n gas industry, not even telecoms,
The point is you are well paid for the stress, So thank God for the job you have.
Cheers.

Bet u guys heard of UBAs' N21B PAT?? whats ur view??
Re: Bankers' Forum by delegiwa(m): 8:44am On Nov 30, 2007
Banking (especially in Nigeria) no be come chop, so guys, make we the manage. But come to think of it, what else can you do?
Re: Bankers' Forum by milkyway: 9:28am On Nov 30, 2007
hi guys,am new in this forum,being tryiing to post a topic but i cant find it anywhere.please help
Re: Bankers' Forum by realkemmy(m): 10:16am On Nov 30, 2007
i am the happiest person now. y? i just left a banking job.

it was hell
Re: Bankers' Forum by Purist(m): 11:07am On Nov 30, 2007
@janami

since all of u will be meeting here, i have to say this: whether u are stressed or watever, do what u are paid to do. very lousy customer care at oceanic bank iyana ipaja garage branch whr u ve a problem and they just shrug and their countenance says "abeg, dnt disturb me" tongue

You're quite right about that. I think the problem with them is that they have too many customers. I opened my account at that branch and every time I go there, the place is always crowded. Hopefully, that will no longer be much of a problem anymore since they just opened a new branch at Federal Estate (close to Gate B/stop, along Ipaja road).
Re: Bankers' Forum by Lauradee01: 11:23am On Nov 30, 2007
Now this is the the kind of thread i like contributing to not the amebo threads that we are all used to.

I can see that oceanic bank is the bank of the moment on the thread.

I`m a staff of oceanic and i also bank with GT and intercontinental,and believe me the story is all the same.banking is made difficult by the customers themelves.Every customer wants the be treated like hes the only customer of the bank.A customer service officer has to deal with more than one person at the same time.At the end of the day,the officer is confused,the customer is pissed off.

Its an interesting job,if you know that you are doing,but its also risky cos of the material involved (money).If anything goes wrong,its either the staff is on his way out of the job (or the industry) Or you are heavily fined.
So when next you walk into any bank,just appreciate what they are doing cos its not BEANS at all.
Re: Bankers' Forum by uchetobi(f): 12:02pm On Nov 30, 2007
all well paying jobs are stressful, u gots 2 earn d salary. LOL consulting is even more stressful than banking
even the so called oil companies my friend dat works in Oando leaves the office at 9pm on d average, sometimes later and sometimes earlier,
Re: Bankers' Forum by cecegorz(m): 1:43pm On Nov 30, 2007
It is called 'Work hard.Play hard'.
That's why we get paid salaries that others can only dream of. So that u can go on leave, travel the world and enjoy the pay!

But if u really enjoy the work, the stress is nothing. Afterall some pple endure much more stress and get paid pittance at the end of the day.
Re: Bankers' Forum by husu(m): 3:01pm On Nov 30, 2007
Do banks pay up to 100k for starters.?
Re: Bankers' Forum by baloo4u2(m): 3:32pm On Nov 30, 2007
I Thank God for being a banker. smiley
Re: Bankers' Forum by usmaniyya(m): 4:10pm On Nov 30, 2007
hi Bankers, really the job is stressing, but we are still grateful to God for the favour (job).
Re: Bankers' Forum by titilaelae(f): 5:26pm On Nov 30, 2007
My piece on bank job. I was there for 5 years, the pay was good, the stress worth the pay or vice versa but …the 'long hours' was 'much ado about little' really.

The truth of the matter is, its not all those looooong hours that are spent working. Like I said in my introduction, I'd been in the system and anyone who wants to claim he works really hard from 8am to 8pm should come boldly and say it on this thread. I worked in different branches and departments of my former bank before I left and I saw things. Not only that, I had (still do have) friends in banks and we compare notes. Hectic as the job was made to look, we still had time to play computer games. I think bank management should stop deceiving themselves by equating long hours with hard work.

I had a couple of friends who, after they would have been chased out of the office to go for marketing, would make some calls here and there and then go and spend some hours at home before returning to the office (some of course do their private runs), why?, they must not be seen in the office but when they come back laaaaate, they will be seen as 'working hard'.

The above now makes the ogas themselves, the policy makers to, portray a 'busy' outlook. Some DGMs/AGMs spend their evenings browsing and making personal calls. Ive worked closely with some of them and I know what am saying. My regional head then, would go out for marketing, from there go and do her nails, hair, visit friends and relatives and end at home. She would come back around 7pm (by now you now she is invigorated) and the earliest time she would close was usually 9pm! Managers and officers who wanted to report the day's activities to her would have waited tire, hurriedly she would spend like one hour with them and the other hour she'd call her children in Europe, her friends in America, cousins and nieces in Asia and browse the net for personal purpose. She would intermittently walked around the premises so that she would be seen as working 'hard'. In fairness to her, she was meeting and sometimes surpassing her targets, but it was obvious (to those of us close to her) that it wasn't a result of loooong work hours. She had her strategies which were working well for her but it is not WORKING LATE. What am I saying? Banks should endeavour to power down at 7pm latest. Whatever you have to do must be over with by 7. There may be times when working late be required but it shouldn't be the rule. Remember these guys have to come to work the following morning. A beg, let them have sound health to enjoy the (armed robber) salary they are being paid.
Re: Bankers' Forum by degubi(m): 6:04pm On Nov 30, 2007
there is nothing exciting in banking,the pay may be good but the monotony of the job can make u go crazy,i work with a bank and i am praying that God will help me get a better job that is exciting in the sense of creativity and less stressful time wise.
Re: Bankers' Forum by randa(m): 6:26pm On Nov 30, 2007
i qiut first bank 2003, and now God had helped me to get a lecturing job, the bank work is kinda crazy, i only went into it after service then as per nothing to do, i later found out it was like torture for me, even though i do earn a bit less than i should be earning if i was there up till now, i still thank God, i really appreciate all my guys and friends at gtb, uba, oceanic and zenith, may God keep u strong, i really appreciate all u go through believe me cos i have beign there before
Re: Bankers' Forum by nele(f): 7:57pm On Nov 30, 2007
Banking job is very stressful but to some people is not.
I'm not complaining sha,anyway maybe because i just started.
Re: Bankers' Forum by Krrush(m): 11:08pm On Nov 30, 2007
@oceanic bankers

Congratulations ! Your darling bank has won the prestigeous Bank of The Year award from The Financial Times,London(I think)

2nd consecutive year for that matter.

Question is,

When will your FY results be out, ? ,
Re: Bankers' Forum by SignorZax: 12:57pm On Dec 01, 2007
Sorry! I didn't get the topic, was it OCEANIC BANK'S FORUM or BANKER'S FORUM. These Oceanic guys should take their marketing elsewhere and allow us to enjoy discussions aon this thread.
This is a WARNING! It's a red-eye warning! (Sorry Wyclef for borrowing your line)

And you wey get bank job de complain, nobody force to go work there, if you no like the work, then take a dive in the Atlantic and stop pissing me off. Haba! People de sufa find work, you get work de complain. Afta now, una go de quote MILLIONS p. a. fro salary and you no wan work.

Make una just SHUT UP! before I go vex o!
Re: Bankers' Forum by odedele: 1:28pm On Dec 01, 2007
bros d work no easy i almost resign wen i started last yr wit 1st inland.d level of competition in d industryhas made d job so so demandin God help us.
Re: Bankers' Forum by bjluv: 2:53pm On Dec 01, 2007
@janami, used to live around that area. I wonder how the place is now, shocked

@ufobabe, my Dad introduced me to Oceanic and would like that I open an account with you guys and I was thinking the NID account so I called ya office and I was told that I can not send some money from Oceanic account to for example GTB because of security reasons,, na true?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply)

Pay Structure of Most Nigerian companies as at February 2017 / My 6 Months Experience As An Uber/bolt Driver In Abuja / 10 Jobs That Look Poor But Are Very Lucrative

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.