Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,425 members, 7,819,543 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:49 PM

Bankers' Forum - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Bankers' Forum (89945 Views)

For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be / Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? / Why Are Some Female Customer Care Assistant Bankers Hyper-reactive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bankers' Forum by vinalexx: 4:00pm On Dec 14, 2007
pls can u tell me how i can get a master card that will cost 3000
Re: Bankers' Forum by FunmyKemmy(f): 4:24pm On Dec 14, 2007
Hi All,

I am a Secretary by profession and I look forward to working in a bank. Anyone who can be of help should contact me. My Yahoo Id is ayokemi2003@yahoo.com.

Thanks.
Re: Bankers' Forum by Lauradee01: 6:45pm On Dec 14, 2007
@ Somebody
I totally agree with you. I think this Slaykay guy is just too full of himself.Like you rightly said,he could come to nigeria and find out that ht cant just fit in cos he just doesnt know how to.Imagine comparing us Nigerian BANKERS to America big shot Asset Managers.Maybe hes just a janitor in the firm and he happens to know a little about pple working there.

SHIO!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Bankers' Forum by kollyp2000(m): 8:00pm On Dec 14, 2007
I want to know If any I.T guys is in the house? How is the Information System Management in Nigerian Bank. Do you all experience what other "Bankers/Bank workers" experience?

I am into I.T, working for a private sector but always like a trendy look of Bankers/Bank Workers undecided. But I wont mind to look before I leap o. Peace and Love!
Re: Bankers' Forum by kamsi(f): 10:20pm On Dec 14, 2007
Hello all
Ok I have read all the arguements, so could you all help with my question.
I want to work in the HR department of a Bank. But learnt that all HR department are usually housed in the head office of each bank, is that true?
This is because all the banks head office is on lagos island, and I dont want to work in that area. So if anyone is aware whether every bank branches has a HR department esp in lagos, pls tell me
Re: Bankers' Forum by damilarea2(m): 11:03pm On Dec 14, 2007
greatest bankist, the work is not 4 lazy pp at alllll, it's tasky & d package is WOWOOO. cheesy
when it comes to choosin unit, i believe marketin is t d best. it has it's own peak and off peak period.
i was once a marketer before  bein deploy to operation, in customer service unit, pally d work no dey finish ooooooo
Re: Bankers' Forum by effects8000(m): 11:46pm On Dec 14, 2007
Bankers my foot!! !!!I do think that Nigerian bankers are the most irresponsible people to ever work on the face of the earth. They you guys are so rude and you don't know a thing about customer service! OH yeah for those of you who actually studied a science course in uni eg applied chemistry or physics and you then pass abank exam and get a job in the bank, PLS YOU ARE ONLY KILLING THE INDUSTRY!!!!!!!!!
And the new generation of bankers are NOT bankers but science trained bankers that don't know a thing about credit or transactions!!!!
Re: Bankers' Forum by nayalee(m): 10:13am On Dec 15, 2007
PLS THE BANKERS IN THE HOUSE, DONT DISCOURAGE ME OO because IM ON THE VERGE OF JOINING U IN THE SO CALLED STRESS BUSINESS CALLED BANKING, WAT MATEERS IS THE MONEY, GIVE URSELF A TARGET,DEPRIVE URSELF OF SO MANY THINGS SUCH AS TIME FOR FAJJY AND FLENJOURISM SO DAT U CAN ACHIEVE YOUR TARGET WITHIN THE STIPULATED TIME AND THEN RESIGN
Re: Bankers' Forum by otuwe(f): 12:34pm On Dec 15, 2007
this thread is soooooooooooooo dryyyyyyyyyyy

now i know that bankers are the driest people on earth

of course its because u dont have time for anything except ur work and cheating on ur spouse

that reminds meeee

pls why do bankers especially the male marry early then end up cheating on their wives

my boss am a banker by the way took his young beautiful wife and their 3 little children abroad so he can have the time to chase as many women as possible. i know of 4 other bankers who did that

and these are young men with beautiful women for that matter

if u were not ready for marriage then WHY did u VENTURE into it in the first place

ABEG i tire for una
Re: Bankers' Forum by gbeborun(m): 2:40pm On Dec 15, 2007
damilare_a:

greatest bankist, the work is not 4 lazy pp at alllll, it's tasky & d package is WOWOOO. cheesy
when it comes to choosin unit, i believe marketin is t d best. it has it's own peak and off peak period.
i was once a marketer before bein deploy to operation, in customer service unit, pally d work no dey finish ooooooo
@ DAMILARE_A
this name sounds very familiar, are you with oceanic bank? Somewhere in Delta State to be precise. If na you abeg make u holla me. I be ur correct paddy.
Re: Bankers' Forum by beejee: 3:34pm On Dec 15, 2007
Wish all memebers of the bankres forum, Great celebrations ahead, Pls always rememeber to save and invest out of ur "Armed Robber salary" ooooooooo
Re: Bankers' Forum by kamsi(f): 10:29pm On Dec 15, 2007
sad nobody wants to reply my earlier post about HR department. sad sad cry cry
Re: Bankers' Forum by damilarea2(m): 11:38pm On Dec 15, 2007
@gbeborun,

pally,you are 1000% right, can i know u when wil u b online?
[b][/b]
Re: Bankers' Forum by joshjosh(m): 3:03am On Dec 16, 2007
ok someone tell me what is the average interest rate you can can expect on 5m naira fixed deposit for a year in your bank and as a non resident would i have to pay your 10% tax in your bank?

by the way anyone from oceanic bank can you check and confirm you have a rep office in the UK pls.

have a good day you all because you have life better than most people being employed. i worked for UBA 20yrs as a clerk. i was on about Naira250 monthly and nigeria was a better place. complacency and and evil has ruined a blessed nation.

merry Christmas everyone
Re: Bankers' Forum by gbeborun(m): 9:47pm On Dec 16, 2007
damilare_a:

@gbeborun,

pally,you are 1000% right, can i know u when wil u b online?
[b][/b]
I knew it! My broda how u dey? Dont knw when i'll be online again. but just take care
Re: Bankers' Forum by damilarea2(m): 12:18am On Dec 17, 2007
hello Gbeborun?

i'm curious to know who you are, are u also swimmin in OCEAN?
kindly send a mail to me @ slowlybalm@yahoo.com or add me to ur chat room.
i wil b available 4rm 8p.m upward if dr is GPRS NETWORK.
COMPLIMENT OF THE SEASON TO ALL BANKERS IN THE HOUSE.

EXPERIENCE PEACEEEEEEEEE cheesy cheesy
Re: Bankers' Forum by LYSTINGS(f): 3:04am On Dec 17, 2007
hi yall,its really been by the grace of God.and i believe banking is all about that.u need not ve special skills to become a banker,wat i believe matters is that in whatever department u are in,just put in your best n leave the rest 4 God especially marketers. i am one n i know God ll c us tru.mnwhl,pls be informed of our shares case u re intersted ,plsjust beep me.am with zenith bank.
Re: Bankers' Forum by darqly(m): 7:29am On Dec 17, 2007
One thing is certain, not a whole lot of us can be called bankers. A friend once pointed it out and harsh as it seems, it's true. Most of us are bank workers-Pure and simple. We do debit and credit and close at the end of the day. We earn the right to be called bankers when we qualify i.e CIBN. Though a great deal of us probably know more practically than any institution can add to us, that's what counts on the long run.

I really consider marketing,especially the way it's done in our country,an embarrassment to the industry.In the quest to meet targets, ethical banking practices are often thrown out the window. Why else would most marketing departments consist entirely of ladies? and not just regular LADIES;they have to look good, talk nice and must be FLEXIBLE. We might as well open ensuite brothels while we're at it and offer customers massages and sauna in exchange for a big fat account.

Then the reason most of the replies are nothing but complaints is because most people are in the industry not by choice, but circumstance. Let's face it, if not for the banks and maybe telecoms, we'd still be clutching GMAT textbooks and brown envelopes and browsing the job section on Nairaland. My take on this is that since it's where your daily bread comes from,earn it and make sure you contribute your quota.
Re: Bankers' Forum by tkb417(m): 8:18am On Dec 17, 2007
@All
Its not only the Banking scetor that keeps people late at thier duty posts, consulting is tite too. Some consultants will be with clients when you guys are celebrating id el kabir and xmas

@Tutors
Bank workers and Bankers
yeah, i know in the UK, that applies and ill be quick to point it to Slaykay that the use of bankers generally by all isnt a sign of half baked knowledge like you wrongly opined.

Read what Sabak is saying and im sure ull get some points. Yours are valid and i dont see any reasons why we should all be at daggers drawn. What is in a name?
Re: Bankers' Forum by ladynoni(f): 9:32am On Dec 17, 2007
@ delaronte, magraw and other bankers in the house:

I got the feel that what keeps you at the beat is the fat pay, there is no passion nor joy in the labor you put in, right?

I am a [size=14pt]blogger[/size] and not a [size=14pt]banker[/size] and I am daily thrilled and rejoice in my labor and the pay (about $2,000), is still okay for me.

What you need is step to the next level (lol). Change your career and wrap it around your passion. Should you have passion and skill for writing like me, then give [size=14pt]blogging[/size] a go, and you would thank God for doing what you like and being get paid for it. ciao
Re: Bankers' Forum by gbeborun(m): 4:49pm On Dec 17, 2007
@Damilare_A,
I'm not swimming in the ocean o! Infact if i reveal my identity you'll be very very surprised. How's work? Hope you're doing ok?
Re: Bankers' Forum by HYBRIDX(m): 4:53pm On Dec 17, 2007
I completely agree with the last poster, i am a banker as well(swimming in the ocean).You see, whether u are in marketing dept,operations,capital management,admin e.t.c.

what matters the most is how you make the best of the opportunity and time given to you.
i ised to be in operations(core operations) but after a while i got bored ,lucky for me i moved to marketing.as i speak i have gained so much out of it(not just sitting staring at the computer all day)i have no regrets,

as per the targets, its no big deal every management has to have a target, how do u acheive sucess if u dont set a target, its so unfortunate that in marketing targets are limited to figures alone, wen i was in operation we had targets and it was a must to surpass the targets in other to have success,

my target in life is to be successsful,engage myself in what i enjoy doing "wrap up my career around my passion", i have discovered my passions, i am on that trail of seeing how i can convert it into a lucrative passion, and very soon i will achieve that success, marketing has given me the exposure and opportunity to meet with a lot of people who have taken that bold step and are millionaires today, bankers are amongst them, they always tell me that it takes a lot of courage as a salary earner to decide to become a salary payer.

in sipmle terms people, lets discover our passion, put to best of use what ever we might be engagement in presently, make the best of it, then finnaaly set a target for urselves, "wrapp up our careers around our passion"

cheers,
Re: Bankers' Forum by ladynoni(f): 5:36pm On Dec 17, 2007
HYBRID-X:

I completely agree with the last poster, i am a banker as well(swimming in the ocean).You see, whether u are in marketing dept,operations,capital management,admin e.t.c.

what matters the most is how you make the best of the opportunity and time given to you.
i ised to be in operations(core operations) but after a while i got bored ,lucky for me i moved to marketing.as i speak i have gained so much out of it(not just sitting staring at the computer all day)i have no regrets,

as per the targets, its no big deal every management has to have a target, how do u acheive sucess if u don't set a target, its so unfortunate that in marketing targets are limited to figures alone, when i was in operation we had targets and it was a must to surpass the targets in other to have success,

my target in life is to be successsful,engage myself in what i enjoy doing "wrap up my career around my passion", i have discovered my passions, i am on that trail of seeing how i can convert it into a lucrative passion, and very soon i will achieve that success, marketing has given me the exposure and opportunity to meet with a lot of people who have taken that bold step and are millionaires today, bankers are amongst them, they always tell me that it takes a lot of courage as a salary earner to decide to become a salary payer.

in sipmle terms people, lets discover our passion, put to best of use what ever we might be engagement in presently, make the best of it, then finnaaly set a target for urselves, "wrapp up our careers around our passion"

cheers,

hybrid-x, that is the word (PASSION), and it is not a cliche, Passion is the fuel that drives the vehicle of career success. The gift of a man would bring him before great men, but the passion of a man can build him a mansion of joy unspeakable full of glory.
Re: Bankers' Forum by SweetT1: 7:05pm On Dec 17, 2007
@ All

check out this story that i found im the Guardian today.

Monday, December 17, 2007

Govt worries over banks' style, practices

* Ask EFCC, others to step in

By Enitar Ugwu

BANKS in the country may soon be in for questioning, judging by the number of petitions on the desk of President Musa Yar'Adua on their ethics.

advertisement
Indeed, not only are their corporate governance credentials being called to question, posers are being raised on the personal conduct of some executives. Exclusive information gathered by The Guardian shows that these petitions were woven around banks' involvement in practices such as:

* laundering of money for governors;

* involvement in round tripping;

* buying of private jets by banks' bigwigs; and

* accessing of bank loans for share buying.

According to Presidency sources, the lifestyle of some bank executives has compelled shareholders to inundate the government with complaints and questions on what regulatory authorities are doing to verify whether some of the organisations are from the executives' private funds or shareholders' deposits. If shareholders' funds had been used, with whose approval?

Some of the banks are saying that the private jets in question are not their personal property.

One, for instance, informed The Guardian that the private jet is the property of his bank's asset management company.

However, what is not clear is whether their acquisitions had the approval of the banks' shareholders.

Even at that, the cost of the jets and mode of buying are yet unclear. Even so, the operational style of some of the banks has reportedly drawn the ire of the National Economic Intelligence (NEI) in addition to their handling of military pensions fund.

The President is said to have referred the cases to the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

It was also gathered that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) may be asked to look into some of these allegations such as banks' involvement in money laundering for governors.

The CBN and other financial regulatory authorities such as Security and Exchange Commission (SEC), and Nigerian Stock Exchange (SEC) may also have been asked to take a look at banks' share purchases with a view to unravelling how some of their directors came about the huge funds they used in buying those shares.

This scam has allegedly become rampant at this later stage of fund raising from the capital market by banks, owing to the CBN's resolve to slow down on the funds verification exercise for others.

It would be recalled that it usually took up to six months for this verification exercise, prompting investors to call for a shorter period to enable them to access their investment.

Sources said that the government worry is based on the need to avoid another round of bank distress.

These developments are coming on the heels of the Federal Government's resolve to join the recently launched United Nations/World Bank Stolen Assets Recovery Initiative.

This initiative is for the purpose of recovering substantial part of the nation's assets stashed away by present and past leaders with the assistance of banks.

The initiative was launched last September by the World Bank, in partnership with the United Nations Office of Drugs and Crime (UNODC) to help developing countries recover assets stolen by corrupt leaders and invest them in effective, people-oriented development programmes.

A source quoted the President as saying: "What I have done is to give the anti-corruption agencies like EFCC, ICPC, and the Code of Conduct Bureau the full support of government and total independence to act on any case of corruption."

© 2003 - 2005 @ Guardian Newspapers Limited (All Rights Reserved).