Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,915 members, 7,814,089 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:26 AM

Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) (18705 Views)

Poll: Is this good or bad for Nigeria?

Good: 54% (50 votes)
Bad: 45% (42 votes)
This poll has ended

Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Joins Lazard As Senior Advisor / Nigeria Is Not Broke - Ngozi Okonjo-iweala / Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by pendo89(f): 10:34am On May 22, 2012
Consumer market.That is what they target.But it shouldnt be at the expense of local retailers.
South=SA
West =Nigeria
East=Kenya? No way we are saturated with malls.
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by mystikal(m): 10:35am On May 22, 2012
alj harem: Bad Bad Bad

Igbo2011, you are certainly right. In fact I would prefer if it was an indigenous company but even at that it is bad. There first stop would be either these 3 cities Lagos Abuja or Rivers. Now these states we have low turnover traders that sell what walmart is about to sell. Walmart coming means there would not competition, it is a win win for walmart.

What Nigeria needs now is a mega food store like tesco etc but indigneous owned not walmart. Also those food 70% of it should be made and processed in Nigeria.

Thus employment and quality.

Tesco no different from Walmart.

With all due respect, Businesses are always on the look for opportunities, and in Nigeria they see a market to exploit. So sad that all the small traders will suffer it. And even if the Walmart was indigenous or international, the local traders will still go under.

And my dream has always been to own a Retail outlet like dem Tesco's, Asda, Walmart scattered across Nigeria and Sub Saharan Africa at least. etc

abohrandy:

EVERYDAY SUPERMARKETS IN PH AND ABJ (i am sure of that one!!!)

Everyday Supermarkets don't compare
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by mjconcept(m): 10:36am On May 22, 2012
bittyend: Capitalism has struck again!! I guess this is the end of the Igbo man, and his business; welcome the china man and his business; and it's courtesy pig faced Okonjo Iweala lol..

Does this woman think with her fat lips, or does her brain work backwards?? This stupid capitalist initiative will skyrocket the poverty level in Nigeria..

Oknojo Iweala should be slapped for even thinking about bringing walwart to Nigeria, end of. cool
Can't you say your mind without tribal sentiments.

1 Like

Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by bittyend(m): 10:37am On May 22, 2012
mjconcept:
Can't you say your mind without tribal sentiments.

Where is the tribal sentiment?? And who's going to be affected if walmart comes to Nigeria?

Call a spade, a spade.
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by faithin9ja: 10:39am On May 22, 2012
Most the posters here have not been to Nigeria recently.

'Shoprite' the south african retailer with a few outlets in Nigeria sells at least 60% Nigerian sourced products, NBL, Nido, St Louis Sugar, indomie, palm wine are all available in Shoprite, Lekki at lower than Oshodi prices.

My business actually is supplier to both Shoprite and Game in Lekki.

Walmart will be led by what the market demands, it will have to source local produced products to sell because that's what the market demands and can afford.the agenda is to make a profit not ideological 'we must sell american or chinese'

Walmart employs over 2.1million employees worldwide, is the biggest private sector employer of labor in the US, we complain that we don't have employers in Nigeria, FDI (especially not the Chinese variety that bring their own laborers) is one way of getting more people into the organised labor force in Nigeria.

A country of 160 million people not one private sector company has up to 35,000 employess

3 Likes

Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by NaijaNaWaa: 10:43am On May 22, 2012
Walmart is already in Nigeria: GAME...!!!
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by TheShopKeeper(m): 10:45am On May 22, 2012
If this is the best our so-called 'economic minister' can offer then the country is in trouble.

I'm massively against this development as it will affect small and medium enterprises across the country.
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by bittyend(m): 10:45am On May 22, 2012
faithin9ja: Most the posters here have not been to Nigeria recently.

'Shoprite' the south african retailer with a few outlets in Nigeria sells at least 60% Nigerian sourced products, NBL, Nido, St Louis Sugar, indomie, palm wine are all available in Shoprite, Lekki at lower than Oshodi prices.

My business actually is supplier to both Shoprite and Game in Lekki.

Walmart will be led by what the market demands, it will have to source local produced products to sell because that's what the market demands and can afford.the agenda is to make a profit not ideological 'we must sell american or chinese'

Walmart employs over 2.1million employees worldwide, is the biggest private sector employer of labor in the US, we complain that we don't have employers in Nigeria, FDI (especially not the Chinese variety that bring their own laborers) is one way of getting more people into the organised labor force in Nigeria.

A country of 160 million people not one private sector company has up to 35,000 employess

Nigeria is not ripe fro walmart, end of story... The average Nigerian makes a living by selling goods in small quantities - where do you want these people to earn a living, when the big boys come into town, with super cheap products from china?? And you know Nigerians are obsessed with anything western - add that cheap to the equation, and say goodbye to Alaba market, and Tejuosho market. sad
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by mjconcept(m): 10:48am On May 22, 2012
cap28:
More neo liberal economic policies from the world bank lackey! I have said it and will continue to say tht this woman will not rest until she brings nigerians collectively to our knees. It is becoming clearer evry day as to why the americns imposed this accursed woman on us, as u cn see she is doing evry thing to favour foreign multinatnls whilst simultaneously damaging domestic businesses. Walmart r a monopoly they r responsibl for decimating the livelihood of thousands of small scale busineseses in america in addition they regularly break or circumvent labour laws , they r hated in america for their unscrupulous business practices we r talkng abt a corporation tht takes out life insurance covr on their employees whch is paid to the company on the employees death- not to the employees dependants imagine that! The insurance cover is evn calld dead peasants insurance covr!! This is how they repay their employees who ve put in years of back breakng labour!

If they cn xploit their workrs in america wth all the safety nets of social security and health insurance imagine wht they will get away wth in nigeria where its evry man for himself! They will use nigerian workrs as slave labour knwg tht there r no laws to protect them. Okonjo iweala is the ultimate traitor and sell out .how much more pain will nigerians be prepared to tolerate frm this woman?
Guy are you typing from a beer parlour? What NOI is doing is for the benefit of us all you can take it or leave it.
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by mekaboy(m): 10:48am On May 22, 2012
WELL IF THE NIGERIAN BUSINESSES THAT FEEL THREATENED BY WALMART HAVE SENSE, THEY SHOULD COME TOGETHER AND PROTEST. ONCE THEY DO THAT, WALMART WILL PULL OUT OF THE AGREEMENT, BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT READY TO SPEND MILLIONS AND LOOSE IT TO A BOMB EXPLOSION grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by bissalla: 10:54am On May 22, 2012
Whether walmart or Shoprite or what, I don't give a damn, as for us in Lekki Phase 1, its Ebeano Supermarket all the way. The guy who started in a duplex has opened the largest supermarket in the estate. With the opening of his new mega store, most Lekki Phase 1 residents are shying away from Shoprite cos Ebeano is cheaper.
I think we must encourage our own people to create jobs instead of bringing in these foreigners who will make our brothers and sisters slaves.

Ebeano all the way.
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by faithin9ja: 11:00am On May 22, 2012
bittyend:

Nigeria is not ripe fro walmart, end of story... The average Nigerian makes a living by selling goods in small quantities - where do you want these people to earn a living, when the big boys come into town, with super cheap products from china?? And you know Nigerians are obsessed with anything western - add that cheap to the equation, and say goodbye to Alaba market, and Tejuosho market. sad

Mama Iyabo at Mende night market, sells tomatos of N3000 per night, all her market is not worth more than N20,000. where is her daughter going to work when she grows up? which type of education can she afford to give her daughter to get one of the few jobs in a bank or oil company, not a chance.

But her daughter can get a entry level job in companies like Wal Mart. There are not enough of these types of employers in Nigeria yet our population is growing. Nigerians will go to US and UK and work for these type of employers, do you think the millions of under-employed Nigerians would not love to work for these type of companies.

be there talking from the comfort of your London home, telling us Nigeria is not ready.

Open a branch of Mr Biggs in Owerri or Asaba and see the queue of people lining up looking for work, you don't see this from your 'lofty academic position' please move into the real world.

6 Likes

Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by mjconcept(m): 11:02am On May 22, 2012
bissalla: Whether walmart or Shoprite or what, I don't give a damn, as for us in Lekki Phase 1, its Ebeano Supermarket all the way. The guy who started in a duplex has opened the largest supermarket in the estate. With the opening of his new mega store, most Lekki Phase 1 residents are shying away from Shoprite cos Ebeano is cheaper.
I think we must encourage our own people to create jobs instead of bringing in these foreigners who will make our brothers and sisters slaves.

Ebeano all the way.
True but what if there none the altenative comes into play.
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by bittyend(m): 11:11am On May 22, 2012
faithin9ja:
Mama Iyabo at Mende night market, sells tomatos of N3000 per night, all her market is not worth more than N20,000. where is her daughter going to work when she grows up? which type of education can she afford to give her daughter to get one of the few jobs in a bank or oil company, not a chance.

Who cares about when 'Mama Iyabo's' daughter grow up, when 'Mama Iyabo' can feed the daughter right now.. How would she be able to grow up, if 'Mama Iyabo' can't feed her?? A hungry man don't think about the future, he thinks about now...

Like I said earlier, Nigeria is not ready for walmart.. When can talk about walmart when the standard of living improves - when 'Mama Iyabo' can feed her daughter three times a day, without having to sell tomatoes...
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by Nobody: 11:25am On May 22, 2012
HNosegbe: This is why I have always said that the kind of conservative, neo-liberal laissez-faire economics Madam NOI espouses is bad for developing countries.

No country ever attained development by opening up completely. A sensible country will first and foremost strengthen and protect its own industry until it is strong enough to compete with established foreign competitors. If we continue on this path, we will have nothing to call our own.
_
How can it be conservative, and neo-liberal laissez-faire at the same time?
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by rowlandoo: 11:25am On May 22, 2012
From my own perspective i, I. Believe we have so many un employed nigerian who are ready to work but no availabily of a job . Walmart will persidinly create jobs for this people . Imagine working 10hours during weekend then having enough money for school on week days . Without having to crumble . That is to people who are ready to work . Moreso we have so many africans who work in more horrible places than walmart abroad just to make a living .

2cent

2 Likes

Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by soloqy: 11:31am On May 22, 2012
SimonAndal:
_

Ask me oo.
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by publisher(m): 11:41am On May 22, 2012
Walmart's entry is good,so long as the government ensures that a minimum of 40% of their products is sourced from Nigeria. It can work; years back Nigerian govt banned importation of poulty,meat products etc. I call tell u for a fact that most poultry and beef products sold in the likes of shoprite,sparz,goodies and park&shop are locally sourced. KFC is also expanding and all their poultry is locally sourced.
So,let them come,Nigeria's organised retail sector is still underdeveloped with limited players. Our Nigerian business men have not yet realized the huge benefits of investing in large retail supermarkets. Shoprite has roughly 4 outlets in Nigeria,but they have over 1000 outlets in SA. But now Shoprite is making plans to open 400 outlets in Nigeria within the next 5yrs. If our own local business men and women decide to keep doing siddon look while Shoprite and Walmart capture Nigeria's retail space,so be it.
Like someone said earlier,God bless the likes of Ben Bruce,who brought cinemas back to life...while some of his colleagues were busy mass importing vcds and dvds.

1 Like

Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by purefella(m): 11:46am On May 22, 2012
Boko haram will be there first customer
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by Nobody: 11:51am On May 22, 2012
SimonAndal:
_

Liberalism in economics is different from liberalism in politics, don't confuse the two. A liberal economist believes in unrestricted free trade across borders. My argument was that such policies are harmful to developing countries, because firms like Walmart can edge out local firms through their lower prices and attain a near monopoly. Its too soon to introduce such multinationals, when we have not developed a viable indigenous alternative.
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by soloqy: 11:54am On May 22, 2012
Nigerians are not stupid.

Shopright food section is cheap and there is variety.

Everyone gains. You buy food on the cheap and the farmers have a ready market for their goods, as the banana, onions, tomatoes, beef, chicken, etc, that they sell there are not imported but sourced locally. Even the prepared food section is cheaper than what you have at places like Tastee, and once again, those are not imported food. The stuff used to make the take-away foods are sourced locally. Shopright has numerous(indigenous) suppliers so they are helping both sides of the coin, i.e producers/suppliers and consumers.
Walmart coming in must have done their research and seen the trend and the Shopright model. They would have to continue in that model if they want to survive. Forget about the idea that people like buying foreign stuff. That idea is quickly fading away.

Arial Nigeria is produced locally and some of us will not trade it for any foreign detergent. The good Nigerian made products are there and keep growing despite all the cries about foreign products. I stand to be corrected but I havent seen any foreign made juice that outsells Chivita in Nigeria(Not saying Chivita is a wonderful drink , though).Bottomline is, Make good products and be consistent and you wont need to fear anything.

Do we understand the employment potentials of a walmart setting shop in Nigeria?

You just need to take a look at the Palms in Lekki, Surulere and Ikeja, as well as Enugu and you would welcome this development...

2 Likes

Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by Nobody: 11:55am On May 22, 2012
bittyend:

Let me guess, you live at Mushin ?
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by soloqy: 11:56am On May 22, 2012
purefella: Boko haram will be there first customer

Nonsense !
How helpful is this your comment?
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by amosy007: 12:01pm On May 22, 2012
faithin9ja:

But her daughter can get a entry level job in companies like Wal Mart. There are not enough of these types of employers in Nigeria yet our population is growing. Nigerians will go to US and UK and work for these type of employers, do you think the millions of under-employed Nigerians would not love to work for these type of companies.

be there talking from the comfort of your London home, telling us Nigeria is not ready.

Open a branch of Mr Biggs in Owerri or Asaba and see the queue of people lining up looking for work, you don't see this from your 'lofty academic position' please move into the real world.

Well said
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by publisher(m): 12:03pm On May 22, 2012
bittyend:

Who cares about when 'Mama Iyabo's' daughter grow up, when 'Mama Iyabo' can feed the daughter right now.. How would she be able to grow up, if 'Mama Iyabo' can't feed her?? A hungry man don't think about the future, he thinks about now...

Like I said earlier, Nigeria is not ready for walmart.. When can talk about walmart when the standard of living improves - when 'Mama Iyabo' can feed her daughter three times a day, without having to sell tomatoes...

Come on dude,who says Walmart may not end up employing the likes of 'Mama Iyabo'?
How do u improve the lives of poor people without investments? Or u expect government to knock on poor people's doors every morning and give them food?
Even if 60%-70% of Nigerians live below poverty line,the other 30%-40% who are 'managing' also deserve to be catered for,in terms of their peculiar economic or luxury needs. 30%-40% of Nigeria is about 50-60 million people- that's a very huge market.
Upgrade ur thinking mate!
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by bittyend(m): 12:06pm On May 22, 2012
LeoMax: Let me guess, you live at Mushin ?

Where the phuck is mushin??

Yo prick, stick to the question at hand and stop asking me dumb questions with your silly SN...

LeoMAx, more EmekaOjukwu - silly retarded, silverback gorilla...
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by member479760: 12:07pm On May 22, 2012
wencome to wanmalr! beta then second hand fron yobo shops!
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by aljharem(m): 12:12pm On May 22, 2012
mystikal:

Tesco no different from Walmart.

With all due respect, Businesses are always on the look for opportunities, and in Nigeria they see a market to exploit. So sad that all the small traders will suffer it. And even if the Walmart was indigenous or international, the local traders will still go under.

And my dream has always been to own a Retail outlet like dem Tesco's, Asda, Walmart scattered across Nigeria and Sub Saharan Africa at least. etc

Thank you but I strongly disagree with you.

We have seen the difference between Foreign companies and Nigerian owned companies.

1. Having a Nigerian owned company does not only provide opportunity for highly skilled people to work as MDs etc but also gives the nation a sense of psychological pride which much needed now.

2. It also provides opportunity for Nigerian farmers to show case their products rather than the Walmart etc which are all imported.

3. It gives Nigeria the opportunity to invest in GM foods if they are going to mass produce these food. Of course we know (the company) knows that Nigeria is a sentimental society thus we don't eat GM meats (chicken beef etc) We want our meats to be 100% natural thus this would give opportunity for local farmers to look into that as well.

4. Walmart and co would not provide as much jobs as a Nigerian owned one. Reason being that the Nigerian owned would provide 10 times more if not higher than walmart.

Moreover in the jobs shops it would provide some cash for the students in their university or so.

Lastly having a Nigerian owned company provides jobs for Nigerians in diaspora as well. Thus the opportunities are endless if done right.
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by PHIPEX(m): 12:15pm On May 22, 2012
Recapitalisation of Banks...Nigeria is not ready.

CBN introduces ATM...Nigeria has no light and reliable internet service.

Cashless Economy...Nigeria is not riped.

Walmart to Invest in Nigeria...Nigeria is not ready.

FG bans use of foreign made Computers in public institutions...Nigeria is not ready.

"Everyday Obi is a Boy, When shall this Obi become a man?"

Can someone tell me the difference between Shoprite and Walmart. So all the traders in Oshodi and Alaba will close shop because of Walmart?
So if you are the Minister of Finance you will tell Walmart to leave Nigeria alone because supermarkets will close shop?
How many of those Supermarkets around sell Made in Nigeria goods?

Some times some Nigerians talk as if those Policy Makers are foolllls.

2 Likes

Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by amosy007: 12:16pm On May 22, 2012
soloqy: Nigerians are not stupid.

Shopright food section is cheap and there is variety.

Everyone gains. You buy food on the cheap and the farmers have a ready market for their goods, as the banana, onions, tomatoes, beef, chicken, etc, that they sell there are not imported but sourced locally. Even the prepared food section is cheaper than what you have at places like Tastee, and once again, those are not imported food. The stuff used to make the take-away foods are sourced locally. Shopright has numerous(indigenous) suppliers so they are helping both sides of the coin, i.e producers/suppliers and consumers.
Walmart coming in must have done their research and seen the trend and the Shopright model. They would have to continue in that model if they want to survive. Forget about the idea that people like buying foreign stuff. That idea is quickly fading away.

Arial Nigeria is produced locally and some of us will not trade it for any foreign detergent. The good Nigerian made products are there and keep growing despite all the cries about foreign products. I stand to be corrected but I havent seen any foreign made juice that outsells Chivita in Nigeria(Not saying Chivita is a wonderful drink , though).Bottomline is, Make good products and be consistent and you wont need to fear anything.

Do we understand the employment potentials of a walmart setting shop in Nigeria?

You just need to take a look at the Palms in Lekki, Surulere and Ikeja, as well as Enugu and you would welcome this development...
I love that bolded part ....the problem with nigerians is that they want nigerians to patronize locally made product even if they are not up to standard ..
U can't force people to patronise what is not good ...especially when ur hard earned money and life is at stake ...if u make good product. That can compete with imported products ...people will patronise u...its as simple as that

1 Like

Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by RSA(m): 12:19pm On May 22, 2012
If you have Game and Makro which are owned by Massmart in Nigeria then Wolmart is already operating in your country.Wolmart bought SA owned Massmart which owned Game and other retail stores.

In South Africa Wolmart struggled to get the permission to buy into Massmart from Competition Commission of South Africa,but I think the deal went through at the end.
I'm not sure about Nigeria,but South Africa which have the culture of Super Retailers like Shoprite,Pick and Pay,Games,Makro,Spar and others,will mostly lose in terms of employment,since most companies will shed jobs in order to compete with this giant company.
Although Walmart would benefit the end user,consumer,but it might be bad in a long run for the local producers,job creation and the local economy as a whole.
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by faithin9ja: 12:23pm On May 22, 2012
bittyend:

Sorry but your arguement is confused, how does the standard of living improve? by government handing over cash to the population? Mama Iyabo according to you is one of the people Wal Mart will kill off. I am explaining to you how Wal Mart helps Mama Iyabo and you say you don't care.

We need more big employers in Nigeria, we need more investment. You sitting in London how much have you invested in Nigeria? how many people have you employed? As I said earlier, my company is a supplier to Shoprite and Game and I know how many I employ because of these supply contracts.

Continue to preach the 'politics of socialism' from the comfort of your room in Barking or Ilford, whilst real people are doing the their 2 kobo for Nigeria

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

10 Lies About Money. / Government Will Help Next Cash & Carry Supermarket Bounce Back Stronger–Minister / UBA Announces Availability Of New Naira Notes At Atms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.