Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,053 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:06 AM

Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) (18704 Views)

Poll: Is this good or bad for Nigeria?

Good: 54% (50 votes)
Bad: 45% (42 votes)
This poll has ended

Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Joins Lazard As Senior Advisor / Nigeria Is Not Broke - Ngozi Okonjo-iweala / Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by merge(f): 4:30am On May 24, 2012
Reading some of these comments make me realize "how fucking dumb Africans are" They just complain and do nothing. if you don't stand up for yourself, you will be permanent slaves in your own land. Learn from your past!
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by Nobody: 4:36am On May 24, 2012
portage: cap28 and Ladiesfashion
Nobody will want to make walmart his/her final destination if you ever want to make it real BIG in life. Working at walmart/Tescos/ASDA/Sainsbury is just earnings to help you get by the day. Very few youn men/women will want to build a career in all these places hence the job is more like a temporal job.
I think i heard somebody mentioned that the Ngozi woman will rather shop at Macys and not walmart. Please and please, Macy's do not carry everyday groceries do they??
There are few things i buy at walmart and there are other stuff i buy at Rulli bros and there are stuff i buy at the meat market or Halal meat if i can say that.
By the way Cap28, who does business without the sole aim of making profit in this world undecided undecided

[size=18pt]Ileke I still think this move will help our ladies in higher institution to go out there and work decent job to see themselves through higher education rather than waiting for one Bank boy or Alhaji/Chief to be giving them money after sleeping with them undecided or what do you think?[/size]

You're not listening to me or cap28 who logically spelled out what I'm saying.

WalMart is not going to pay anything to help "our ladies" and men, to see themselves through higher education. They're be working like slaves and paid peanut money. These "ladies" would compare the large amount they make with alhaji/chief to what walmart pays, so who do you think they'd choose? undecided

And I'm offended that you choose to point out the ladies, as if we don't have Naija men whoring about too undecided
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by htown9ja: 5:25am On May 24, 2012
HNosegbe: This is why I have always said that the kind of conservative, neo-liberal laissez-faire economics Madam NOI espouses is bad for developing countries.

No country ever attained development by opening up completely. A sensible country will first and foremost strengthen and protect its own industry until it is strong enough to compete with established foreign competitors. If we continue on this path, we will have nothing to call our own.

Re:
[video]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5-ojv5-b3U [/video]
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by Nobody: 7:10am On May 24, 2012
merge: Why does Nigeria want any relationship with the West after all the colonization and exploitation in Africa? Learn from the past. Africans really got to wise the up.
Nonsense! How long are you going to carry mentality of insecurity around in this present generation?
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by rhymz(m): 7:43am On May 24, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:

You're not listening to me or cap28 who logically spelled out what I'm saying.

WalMart is not going to pay anything to help "our ladies" and men, to see themselves through higher education. They're be working like slaves and paid peanut money. These "ladies" would compare the large amount they make with alhaji/chief to what walmart pays, so who do you think they'd choose? undecided

And I'm offended that you choose to point out the ladies, as if we don't have Naija men whoring about too undecided
Your argument is sentimental and just like the rest making thesame arguments as you, you lot are all detached from the realities of what's actually obtainable in Nigeria's working environment.
I have worked in production factories both as an Undergraduate and as a graduate and I am telling you guys that Walmart working conditions and payment structures both to her full time staff, contractor staff and casual workers can never be any worse than what is obtainable in these production factories owned by Lebanese, Chinese, Indians and even fellow Nigerians. That is a fact!!!
You keep talking about their motives being that of profit making like it is supposed to be something different, incase you guys have forgotten, Walmart just like every other multinational business entity is set up to make profit first before any other thing, it is left to the government to create laws that will not allow them exploit her citizens unfairly, laws that spell out what is allowed and what is not allowed. Laws that make it compulsory for local investors to buy into the company after an agreed number of years of estiblishing in the country, I understand in RSA there is a law that forces every multinational to make available about 10% of her shares to black investors, Laws that emphasize local content of at least 50%-60%.
It is sheer recklessness and a demonstrated inability to understand, cope and negotiate with the demands of the teething troubles associated with attracting Multinationals the size of Walmart. I mean why throw away the baby and the bath water? Let them come in! Besides, that sector needs to be stimulated by the likes of Walmart. There is a lot to be gained that outweighs whatever problems you people are envisaging. Walmart will never close down our traditional markets or street corner shops, Emeka and Ebeano supermarkets will continue to sell even in the face of giants like Walmarts, all they need to do is think out of the box to compete. Like I have said in my previous post, our buying attitude and culture is very different from that of the west or even RSA. An average Nigerian will rather buy a packet St louis Sugar from a local store whose price is slightly higher than
the likes of walmart and shoprite because to him, it will look rather degrading that the only reason he went through the hassle of going into a walmart or shoprite supermarket was to get just a packet of St loius sugar. The way Nigerians buy their groceries is extremely "retailed" and diffferent that it has to be from these local stores and market they buy from and not Uncle Walmart. I doubt if walmart will sell 3 cubes of sugar for #5 or a bag of Lipton Tea for #5.
People have to be strategic in the way they look at the issues here. Nigeria needs the likes of Walmart for so many reasons. They will bring in the technical -know-how that is needed to run departmental stores, they will stimulate competition and help reduce prices of goods and services and increase our options. They will employ both professionals, semi-professionals, secondary school leavers, drop outs, unskilled people all in large numbers like our factories do. They will create more sophisticated small businesses in place of the unsophisticated ones they kill. Local farmers and production factories will have a ready buyer in the likes of walmart. At least our own local supermarkets will learn how to go straight to the production factories to negotiate prices of their goods, our own local entrepreneurs will use the opportunity to set up more food and commodity factories as there is already a market for them. They will bring back our already dead middle class and bridge the gap. The success of walmart will bring in more of the likes of Walmart and gradually reorganize our markets and make them more profitable.
There is so much you and caps are not considering here.

1 Like

Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by cap28: 9:10am On May 24, 2012
rhymz:
Your argument is sentimental and just like the rest making thesame arguments as you, you lot are all detached from the realities of what's actually obtainable in Nigeria's working environment.
I have worked in production factories both as an Undergraduate and as a graduate and I am telling you guys that Walmart working conditions and payment structures both to her full time staff, contractor staff and casual workers can never be any worse than what is obtainable in these production factories owned by Lebanese, Chinese, Indians and even fellow Nigerians. That is a fact!!!
You keep talking about their motives being that of profit making like it is supposed to be something different, incase you guys have forgotten, Walmart just like every other multinational business entity is set up to make profit first before any other thing, it is left to the government to create laws that will not allow them exploit her citizens unfairly, laws that spell out what is allowed and what is not allowed. Laws that make it compulsory for local investors to buy into the company after an agreed number of years of estiblishing in the country, I understand in RSA there is a law that forces every multinational to make available about 10% of her shares to black investors, Laws that emphasize local content of at least 50%-60%.
It is sheer recklessness and a demonstrated inability to understand, cope and negotiate with the demands of the teething troubles associated with attracting Multinationals the size of Walmart. I mean why throw away the baby and the bath water? Let them come in! Besides, that sector needs to be stimulated by the likes of Walmart. There is a lot to be gained that outweighs whatever problems you people are envisaging. Walmart will never close down our traditional markets or street corner shops, Emeka and Ebeano supermarkets will continue to sell even in the face of giants like Walmarts, all they need to do is think out of the box to compete. Like I have said in my previous post, our buying attitude and culture is very different from that of the west or even RSA. An average Nigerian will rather buy a packet St louis Sugar from a local store whose price is slightly higher than
the likes of walmart and shoprite because to him, it will look rather degrading that the only reason he went through the hassle of going into a walmart or shoprite supermarket was to get just a packet of St loius sugar. The way Nigerians buy their groceries is extremely "retailed" and diffferent that it has to be from these local stores and market they buy from and not Uncle Walmart. I doubt if walmart will sell 3 cubes of sugar for #5 or a bag of Lipton Tea for #5.
People have to be strategic in the way they look at the issues here. Nigeria needs the likes of Walmart for so many reasons. They will bring in the technical -know-how that is needed to run departmental stores, they will stimulate competition and help reduce prices of goods and services and increase our options. They will employ both professionals, semi-professionals, secondary school leavers, drop outs, unskilled people all in large numbers like our factories do. They will create more sophisticated small businesses in place of the unsophisticated ones they kill. Local farmers and production factories will have a ready buyer in the likes of walmart. At least our own local supermarkets will learn how to go straight to the production factories to negotiate prices of their goods, our own local entrepreneurs will use the opportunity to set up more food and commodity factories as there is already a market for them. They will bring back our already dead middle class and bridge the gap. The success of walmart will bring in more of the likes of Walmart and gradually reorganize our markets and make them more profitable.
There is so much you and caps are not considering here.

So basically ur argument goes like this -we r already being xploited by our own businesses so we might as well allow foreignrs to come in and take it to anothr level! One thing u hve failed to undrstand is tht walmart is richer than some soverign afrcn cntries its yearly profits r in the region of four hundrd billion dollrs per annum it is more powerful thn most africn cntries therefor the idea tht those igbo traders and othr domestic businesses wil be able to compete wth them on an equal footing is quite frankly the joke of the century no indigenous nigerian food busines cn compete wth them all they hve to do is to keep undercuttng local retailrs by sellng their stuff at rock bottom prices whch is wht they do anyway and evry single nigerian food retailr will be out of business before the year runs out ,whch nigerian consumr will patronise a store whose goods r pricier jst because its ownd by nigerians? Wth all the povrty and suffrng in nigeria evryone will be lkg for a bargain -tin the short term this might look like a good deal for nigerian consumrs but it will come at a vry heavy price -a local 0businneses will shut down because they cnt compete and unemploymnt will go up walmart will then push salaries down knwg tht they cn pick and chhoose workrs , wkg conditions will then get worse because walmart will xploit the desperation of nigerians, one of the tactics they use regularly on theirpamericn workrs is to cut ur wrkg hours but incresae ur workload its a win win for them - they pay u half of ur normal wage but make u do double the work -do u see why they r so rich? And yet many ppl on here who r likely to be on the receivng end of all this r defending a corporation who is out to use and abuse them- we urgntly need to re educate nigerians because many of us r super ignrnt

Y
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by cap28: 9:50am On May 24, 2012
Ileke was right wen she said tht those nigerian girls will nevr do these jobs - if I knw I cn get ten times wht walmart wld pay in an hour frm an old alhaji why wld I work a forteen hour shift live in a room wth ten othr ppl because I dnt earn enough to rent because thts how the chinese and indonesian. And haitian walmart workers live
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by soloqy: 10:42am On May 24, 2012
cap28: Ileke was right wen she said tht those nigerian girls will nevr do these jobs - if I knw I cn get ten times wht walmart wld pay in an hour frm an old alhaji why wld I work a forteen hour shift live in a room wth ten othr ppl because I dnt earn enough to rent because thts how the chinese and indonesian. And haitian walmart workers live

Thats where you people like generalising. Nigerian girls are already doing such jobs at places like Shopright. Walmart will not be diffrent. Not everyone wants to do alhajis.
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by deybowlah: 7:04pm On May 24, 2012
rhymz: Walmart or no walmart, markets like Onitsha main market, Balogun, Ariaria, Isale Eko, Tejuosho and the likes will never close, Fact!!!
Shoperite still sells their items rediculously cheap, people still flock to their malls and all that, but our regular markets retail stores still stand gidi gbam. Most of the people arguing against Walmart are actually not in touch with what actually goes on in Nigerian working environment.
If you want to talk about slave labour, guy, it already exists here in Nigeria. Go to most of the factories you find in isolo, illasamaja, matori, ladipo industrial estates, apapa and the likes, factory workers there get a minimum of 500-700 per day to work in those factories for a minimum of 8hrs per day. I am talking from experience, my cousin also has worked in one of those factories as a graduate trainee in their maintenance department, this boy was being paid 23k per month and he goes to work every 4ckin day, 7am and closes 7pm.
They work even on sundays. They have two shifts that runs for 2wks, their only break comes when they change shifts and they are being paid 23k. The workers in the factory which is a plastic packaging company- they are responsible for the new bournvita plastic containers, they do numerous other packaging like that for pz and cussons, emos best, beauty fair and many more-earn ridiculous amout and endure very bad working conditions. The ladies who mostly work in the factory are paid 500 for new intakes and 700 for old workers per day.
And somebody here is making a fuss about walmart paying $7 and some cents per hour. With all the attendant under-payments, just go to the gates of these factories and see youngstars every day there waiting to be employed.
Walmart has a way better remuneration package and working condition set up than these factories, FACT!!
And there is no way walmart will penetrate the streets and corners like our small retail shops and local markets will do. Walmart will only be a headache to small retail stalls in urban centres but a good business person will find a way to leverage on it and instead partner with walmart. Ordinary people seldom go to places like shoprite not because they don't know about their price regime but cos they just can't see any reason to walk in there just to buy one item alone.
The very organized set-up in shoperite supermarkets and malls does not allow the atmosphere for somebody to just walk in there and say i want to buy only say a soap of N100 or a packet of lipton alone and leave, you will look stoopid and outta place unlike in our regular retail stores.
So ordinary folks will rather save themselves the embarassment of looking odd there and just patronize our regular retail stores. Me i stay in surulere for instance, I can't just walk into surulere shoperite all because i want to buy a packet of lipton when i can easily get it at a slightly higher price from an aboki without all those fake buyers in shoprite looking down on you like you are the poorest person there. I only worry about shoprite when i want to do some foodstuff shopping and stocking.
And about 60% of their food items and goods are your regular local stuff.
I no sabi wetin cap24 and ileke dey yarn say na only chinese stuff go dey there, shebi na if d chinese product move market no ni? They wont sell what an average Naija don't have use for na, neither will they skip milo, bournivita and ovaltin made in naija and bring in made in china.... Seriously, you guys condemning this nice opportunity should calm the 4ck down, Nigeria so badly needs walmart, yes na true!!
I completely agree with you. It is well explained.
I want you guys to know that nigerians are really suffering and employment is the easiest solution. If Walmart comes to naija it will create employment. The so called "peanuts" will go along way. Imagine the millions of naija that lives less than. $2a day and some of u are talking about Walmart paying $7 per hour.imagine the no of family members that will benefit from just Walmart employing a member of the family
It is also impossible for Walmart importing all products from china. The food items, groceries and plastics will definitely be from local companies. Most people will choose Ariel over persil in a supermarket not just because they are more familiar with Ariel but cos its cheaper and I bet does same thing. Shoprite too sells south African products for example youghurt but I bet 9/10 people will choose famfresh youghurt that is made in PH when they pay a visit to shoprite.
I can't keep explaining my point here. The bottomline is Walmart is welcome to Nigeria
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by Olaone1: 7:59pm On May 24, 2012
That local retailers will go belly up because of Walmart is simply alarmist and devoid of rational analysis.

Are they going to operate in every street ni? O ga oo
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by TerryCarr(m): 8:08pm On May 24, 2012
TerryCarr: NOOO! angry Africa needs to be self reliant no big companies in Africa. African countries should trade more with each other, African countries should grow their own food, adopt African values, languages (no European languages grin), culture, build African looking architecture, and more. you got the resources USE THEM! do not fall for globalization and Westernization. the day Africans stand up for themselves is the day Africa is truly free. that is if Africa stands up for its self sad
just re-posting grin
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by Teextoo(m): 4:49pm On May 25, 2012
faithin9ja: Most the posters here have not been to Nigeria recently.

'Shoprite' the south african retailer with a few outlets in Nigeria sells at least 60% Nigerian sourced products, NBL, Nido, St Louis Sugar, indomie, palm wine are all available in Shoprite, Lekki at lower than Oshodi prices.

My business actually is supplier to both Shoprite and Game in Lekki.

Walmart will be led by what the market demands, it will have to source local produced products to sell because that's what the market demands and can afford.the agenda is to make a profit not ideological 'we must sell american or chinese'

Walmart employs over 2.1million employees worldwide, is the biggest private sector employer of labor in the US, we complain that we don't have employers in Nigeria, FDI (especially not the Chinese variety that bring their own laborers) is one way of getting more people into the organised labor force in Nigeria.

A country of 160 million people not one private sector company has up to 35,000 employess
Sir, I will really like to get your email address in order to discuss a biz preposition with you. My email is maudik283@yahoo.com. Please, i think u will be of great help on this.
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by Blessedd(m): 6:10pm On May 26, 2012
Im from the United States. Trust me you dont want Wal mart in Nigeria. They run small business into the ground, they have too much power

1 Like

Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by htown9ja: 11:34pm On May 26, 2012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Report_on_Manufactures

Its very important to be aware of REAL history, most of today's world industrial/developed powers (Great Britain, USA, Japan, Korea, etc.) were quite PROTECTIONIST in regards their economies FIRST (and in doing so developed their domestic infrastructure and industries) before assuming a so-called "free market/trade" orientation. I'm in America, there is a reason why Walmart is at the top of the fortune 500, they are a monopoly that basically murders its smaller competition with quasi-slave labor and commodity pricing (underpricing its less endowed smaller competing businesses). Here in the USA, there are constant protests and lawsuits regarding the ubiquitous nature of Walmart and the subsequent peonage of entire local economies by their presence (entire counties, etc.).
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by htown9ja: 11:55am On May 28, 2012
Touche
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jun 01, 2012
Blessedd: Im from the United States. Trust me you dont want Wal mart in Nigeria. They run small business into the ground, they have too much power
And, it serves the country. The pricing is the competition bone of contention here. The Nigerian informal market is already flooded with cheap Chinese-made goods. I think Walmart coming to Nigeria is a good thing.
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by DLL1: 4:22pm On Jun 01, 2012
definitely wal-mart is a strong competitor, but, nigeria should bear in mind that only competition could push forward the development of economy in nigeria. competition is a good thing, everyone has to be better. this is a good thing for both customers and local retailers.
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by merge(f): 2:32pm On Jun 17, 2012
Nigerians will be slaves in their homeland. Cheap labor and that is all. Kick Walmart out! Develop your own industries first.
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by igbo2011(m): 10:52pm On Jun 17, 2012
merge: Nigerians will be slaves in their homeland. Cheap labor and that is all. Kick Walmart out! Develop your own industries first.
You sound like you are knowledgeable about economics. Did you study that in university?
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by Ariesby: 4:52pm On Sep 20, 2012
cap28: Ileke was right wen she said tht those nigerian girls will nevr do these jobs - if I knw I cn get ten times wht walmart wld pay in an hour frm an old alhaji why wld I work a forteen hour shift live in a room wth ten othr ppl because I dnt earn enough to rent because thts how the chinese and indonesian. And haitian walmart workers live

There's no wallmart in indonesia.., there's 2 big major player in grocery store in indonesia is indomart and alfamart...they have thousand store across country..foreign grocery from USA ex. 7eleven cannot compete well with those 2 local grocery...
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by Ariesby: 6:58am On Sep 21, 2012
USA Grocery cannot compete with indonesian local grocery ( indomart & alfamart ).....better if someone in nigeria become pioneer to start build grocery store brand...they have thousand of strore across country ....and already replace traditional grocery....even in small town and village in indonesia...these stores have alot service....including Paypal , Automated Teller machine ,even you can buy a train ticket on those stores...alot inovative..thats why american brand cannot compete with them shocked

http://www.alfamartku.com/

http://indomaret.co.id/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

10 Lies About Money. / Government Will Help Next Cash & Carry Supermarket Bounce Back Stronger–Minister / UBA Announces Availability Of New Naira Notes At Atms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.