Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,900 members, 7,814,045 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:14 AM

Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) (18703 Views)

Poll: Is this good or bad for Nigeria?

Good: 54% (50 votes)
Bad: 45% (42 votes)
This poll has ended

Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Joins Lazard As Senior Advisor / Nigeria Is Not Broke - Ngozi Okonjo-iweala / Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Among Candidates For World Bank President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by klas(m): 4:02pm On May 22, 2012
martinosi: Okonjo-Iweala will soon be removed from office never to take a political
appointment in Nigeria again plus wal-mart will not smell nigeria's shores...

Sorry you are too late. Walmat only announced its presence in Nigeria not that it is coming. It is the parent company of Game store. Its logo is now placed side by side that of Game just like Spar entered Nigeria through Park & Shop. The difference you will start noticing from next year is rapid expansion of its branch network unlike now that it is limited to Lagos and Enugu only
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by martinosi: 4:03pm On May 22, 2012
cap28:
More neo liberal economic policies from the world bank lackey! I have said it and will continue to say tht this woman will not rest until she brings nigerians collectively to our knees. It is becoming clearer evry day as to why the americns imposed this accursed woman on us, as u cn see she is doing evry thing to favour foreign multinatnls whilst simultaneously damaging domestic businesses. Walmart r a monopoly they r responsibl for decimating the livelihood of thousands of small scale busineseses in america in addition they regularly break or circumvent labour laws , they r hated in america for their unscrupulous business practices we r talkng abt a corporation tht takes out life insurance covr on their employees whch is paid to the company on the employees death- not to the employees dependants imagine that! The insurance cover is evn calld dead peasants insurance covr!! This is how they repay their employees who ve put in years of back breakng labour!

If they cn xploit their workrs in america wth all the safety nets of social security and health insurance imagine wht they will get away wth in nigeria where its evry man for himself! They will use nigerian workrs as slave labour knwg tht there r no laws to protect them. Okonjo iweala is the ultimate traitor and sell out .how much more pain will nigerians be prepared to tolerate frm this woman?

Well said...i could not have said it better...
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by portage(m): 4:14pm On May 22, 2012
In as much as I will not try to hold any brief for Walmart here, I guess we, as a developing Nation should look at the good side of this giant retailers interest in Nigeria. Of course, we can always find one thousand reasons for not wanting something if we so choose. Likewise, we can always find ten thousand reasons to like something if it pleases our present situation or long term goal.
That said, I think Walmart coming to Nigeria is a good thing because of the jobs that will be created and likewise the competition among players that will improve. Not everything will be imported from China just as some people have insinuated. For example, if we look at fresh produce e.g. meat, poultry, vegetables, household wash up liquids and chemicals just to name a few can be sourced in Nigeria. There quite a number of Nigerian businesses that are going bankrupt or jobless every day. Nigeria has a huge talent of jobless graduates who can easily put into use what they have learnt in the University by putting up a proposal forward to Walmart. People, don’t let us be mentally lazy to reason now.
Again, if we look at the fact that our iya olojas that have been exploiting us for a while, they will be forced to compete reasonably with Walmart coming in to the same game with them. The good thing again is that Walmart is a big corporation, and the fear of juju will not work on them, so all these iya olojas and baba elerans will be forced to do a decent hard work and they will surely have profits that they will be proud of.
Again, there is nothing stoping the likes of broda Waheed the seamstress/ tailor grin grin from upgrading his skills if he wants to compete with those people supplying Walmart with school uniforms, window blinds etc etc and there is nothing stopping Nureni, the carpenter from upgrading himself from making his wood works to a nice and presentable standard that will rather make Walmart buy from him rather than placing order to one useless Chinese dealer. While nothing stops you that is reading this (as a sharp man) to invest in broda waheed or Nurenis business because you know that these guys are good at what they do, the only problem is they do not have enough capital to promote their business.!!!! Meanwhile, these people will tend to employ more people as demand for their product improves.
Please people, let us look at the good side and not the bad side always and let’s stop being negative if we want to progress as individuals and as a country. smiley
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by Nobody: 5:08pm On May 22, 2012
portage: In as much as I will not try to hold any brief for Walmart here, I guess we, as a developing Nation should look at the good side of this giant retailers interest in Nigeria. Of course, we can always find one thousand reasons for not wanting something if we so choose. Likewise, we can always find ten thousand reasons to like something if it pleases our present situation or long term goal.
That said, I think Walmart coming to Nigeria is a good thing because of the jobs that will be created and likewise the competition among players that will improve. Not everything will be imported from China just as some people have insinuated. For example, if we look at fresh produce e.g. meat, poultry, vegetables, household wash up liquids and chemicals just to name a few can be sourced in Nigeria. There quite a number of Nigerian businesses that are going bankrupt or jobless every day. Nigeria has a huge talent of jobless graduates who can easily put into use what they have learnt in the University by putting up a proposal forward to Walmart. People, don’t let us be mentally lazy to reason now.
Again, if we look at the fact that our iya olojas that have been exploiting us for a while, they will be forced to compete reasonably with Walmart coming in to the same game with them. The good thing again is that Walmart is a big corporation, and the fear of juju will not work on them, so all these iya olojas and baba elerans will be forced to do a decent hard work and they will surely have profits that they will be proud of.
Again, there is nothing stoping the likes of broda Waheed the seamstress/ tailor grin grin from upgrading his skills if he wants to compete with those people supplying Walmart with school uniforms, window blinds etc etc and there is nothing stopping Nureni, the carpenter from upgrading himself from making his wood works to a nice and presentable standard that will rather make Walmart buy from him rather than placing order to one useless Chinese dealer. While nothing stops you that is reading this (as a sharp man) to invest in broda waheed or Nurenis business because you know that these guys are good at what they do, the only problem is they do not have enough capital to promote their business.!!!! Meanwhile, these people will tend to employ more people as demand for their product improves.
Please people, let us look at the good side and not the bad side always and let’s stop being negative if we want to progress as individuals and as a country. smiley

The only people that will benefit from this are small and big companies who are able to supply Wal Mart with better and cheaper products, and of course the consumers. If you need to compete with them in any way, you are in for a rough ride.
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by portage(m): 5:27pm On May 22, 2012
cap28:
More neo liberal economic policies from the world bank lackey! I have said it and will continue to say tht this woman will not rest until she brings nigerians collectively to our knees. It is becoming clearer evry day as to why the americns imposed this accursed woman on us, as u cn see she is doing evry thing to favour foreign multinatnls whilst simultaneously damaging domestic businesses. Walmart r a monopoly they r responsibl for decimating the livelihood of thousands of small scale busineseses in america in addition they regularly break or circumvent labour laws , they r hated in america for their unscrupulous business practices we r talkng abt a corporation tht takes out life insurance covr on their employees whch is paid to the company on the employees death- not to the employees dependants imagine that! The insurance cover is evn calld dead peasants insurance covr!! This is how they repay their employees who ve put in years of back breakng labour!

If they cn xploit their workrs in america wth all the safety nets of social security and health insurance imagine wht they will get away wth in nigeria where its evry man for himself! They will use nigerian workrs as slave labour knwg tht there r no laws to protect them. Okonjo iweala is the ultimate traitor and sell out .how much more pain will nigerians be prepared to tolerate frm this woman?

With all respect, I think your argument is flawed. i do not agree with the statements in bold.
First you said......the Ngozi woman is trying to bring Nigerians to their knees angry Common maaaaan shocked, what i see here is that she is trying to make you and I think outside the box. Simple. I really dont know if you are employed at the moment. If you are, then good for you. However, there's more money you can make while still holding on to your daily job if for example you along with friends own a company on the side that handles logistics or supply for Walmart in Nigeria.
Secondly, If the multinationals do not come down, we will continue to shout corruption of our government until thy kingdom come and they will continue to loot our treasury while there is nothing we can do. If these multinationals come down, they will help/empower us indirectly.
Thirdly, you mentioned something about Walmart is responsible for decimating thousands of small businesses in the US. Wow and wow undecided In as much as i rarely shop in Walmart, i can see through their business practices and how they have been able to improve the lives of middle class Americans. You will be surprised that most of the above middle class American businesses have a dealing with Walmart one way or the other.Go out there and hang out with regular people you see in the US, have a genuine discussion with them and you will be surprised that most of them own businesses that is associated with Walmart or any of the BIG chain retailers.
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by portage(m): 5:36pm On May 22, 2012
Aigbofa,^^

You are correct. Only big businesses that can handle big businesses will benefit from having dealings with walmart.
But is this not a good news to our useless Banks that daily send our ladies to go and sleep around for a mere deposit
Why is it so difficult for all these banks to diversify and invest in other businesses rather than promoting immorality through deposits?
If these banks diversify, they will create even more jobs to countless university and polytechnic graduates. We do not all have to work in a banking hall doing some profit and loss, trial balance rubbish from 7am to whenever your boss leaves for the day angry angry
We are talking about job creation that will discourage the menace (BH, armed robbery, petty thief, aristo-prostituition) that is facing us as a country today.
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by Nobody: 6:57pm On May 22, 2012
I feel sorry for the people who think they'll find job at walmart and be able to live "well off" with that money.
Like someone said, in the USA where the union is strong, a measly $7.25/hr is the salary. What do you think will happen in Nigeria where strike is held and shut down without meeting a common ground?
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by oiseworld: 7:34pm On May 22, 2012
their is nothing wrong in walmart coming to nigeria, its a good one and an eye opener for nigerians.

Look at dstv and ait, ait stoped dstv and tv africa from settling in nigeria, no all they do is eploit us when we finally allowed them and where is ait today, not still among the best. Just a local champion, all effort to bring up daarsat then went down and our money lost.
We are in a world of policy, and intelligence and this is what we should do.

1. Invite and encourage them to come, with lots of inviting incentives.
2. Make policies or arrangement for them to set aside a percentage of all their displayed product as locally made goods.
3. Increase the percentage after a period of time i.e 10% of all thisplayed product should be locally made. Increase it wit time eg after 2,3 5 10 years.
4. 60% of all profit are to be invested back imto the nigerian economy.
5. Yearly display showcasing of indigieous made product at a fair in their shop.
Etc
we must not by any means stop investors again, rather we should encourage them to come and give them targets.
I know they would agree to our terms and condition looking at our large and ever increasing market size.
Thats it.
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by portage(m): 8:06pm On May 22, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:
I feel sorry for the people who think they'll find job at walmart and be able to live "well off" with that money.
Like someone said, in the USA where the union is strong, a measly $7.25/hr is the salary. What do you think will happen in Nigeria where strike is held and shut down without meeting a common ground?

Let us stop being negative here. Even if walmart pay $5 as wages in Nigeria....a lot of people will be better off. You will be surprised that the likes of okada riders will gladly go there to work as Butcher or even cleaners.
By the way, walmart did not just get to where they are right now...they started somewhere and people must have criticized them at the initial stage. I am sure they must have had serious issues in the past that necessitated the union/wages/life insurance situation. We will get there as a country only if we also try. We can not continue to do the same thing over and over again and still expect a different result. If there is no competition among our wholesale retail industry, we the consumers will continue to complain about our poor standard of living.
The important thing is to get people back to work and earn a decent/honest living. smiley With this settled, nobody really cares about whatever Jonathan and is cronies are doing in Abuja. If you ask me, very few people care less about what is happening in Washington.

Already, a lot of people are talking and singing high praises with regards to the super mall being erected at different places all over Nigeria....whether we like it or not the jobs being created at these malls will be small compared to what a giant retailer will bring. There's a lot of job associated with food or basic retailers.
When shoprite came to Nigeria some years back, people said all sort....but you know what? we still have Yaba market, Isale eko market etc etc in business.
Again, look at the positives for now and act on the negatives along the line.
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by Nobody: 8:21pm On May 22, 2012
portage:
Let us stop being negative here. Even if walmart pay $5 as wages in Nigeria....a lot of people will be better off. You will be surprised that the likes of okada riders will gladly go there to work as Butcher or even cleaners.
By the way, walmart did not just get to where they are right now...they started somewhere and people must have criticized them at the initial stage. I am sure they must have had serious issues in the past that necessitated the union/wages/life insurance situation. We will get there as a country only if we also try. We can not continue to do the same thing over and over again and still expect a different result. If there is no competition among our wholesale retail industry, we the consumers will continue to complain about our poor standard of living.
The important thing is to get people back to work and earn a decent/honest living. smiley With this settled, nobody really cares about whatever Jonathan and is cronies are doing in Abuja. If you ask me, very few people care less about what is happening in Washington.

Already, a lot of people are talking and singing high praises with regards to the super mall being erected at different places all over Nigeria....whether we like it or not the jobs being created at these malls will be small compared to what a giant retailer will bring. There's a lot of job associated with food or basic retailers.
When shoprite came to Nigeria some years back, people said all sort....but you know what? we still have Yaba market, Isale eko market etc etc in business.
Again, look at the positives for now and act on the negatives along the line.

You made very good/sig points. Yes, Working at Walmart is going to change lives, but to expect decent living from such employment is funny.

It's a fact that WalMart does not care about its employees or customers. WalMart is only driven by success (whichever way she can get it). Yes, Walmart started from somewhere, so why can't Nigerians start their own business from somewhere too? Why bring in big foreign companies which will inevitably close out all the other small companies trying to make it big like Walmart?

There is no long term benefit, imo.

How many Nigerians make decent money from working at shoprite?
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by Olaone1: 8:34pm On May 22, 2012
Sentiments apart, Walmart will be great for Nigeria.

Beggars can't be choosers. The economy is struggling. They can take the cash back to America, but the know-how stays with us.

Any retailer is good enough at this stage. We simply don't have the know-how to operate businesses of Walmart's size and reach. Why not welcome all and learn from them? This is what changed China.

In economics terms, this is very good!
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by Olaone1: 8:39pm On May 22, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:

How many Nigerians make decent money from working at shoprite?

All over the world, retailers don't pay decent money. Ask Tesco employees. Even farmers in the UK are complaining.
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by otokx(m): 9:04pm On May 22, 2012
If she really said so then too bad.
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by cap28: 9:19pm On May 22, 2012
portage:

With all respect, I think your argument is flawed. i do not agree with the statements in bold.
First you said......the Ngozi woman is trying to bring Nigerians to their knees angry Common maaaaan shocked, what i see here is that she is trying to make you and I think outside the box. Simple. I really dont know if you are employed at the moment. If you are, then good for you. However, there's more money you can make while still holding on to your daily job if for example you along with friends own a company on the side that handles logistics or supply for Walmart in Nigeria.
Secondly, If the multinationals do not come down, we will continue to shout corruption of our government until thy kingdom come and they will continue to loot our treasury while there is nothing we can do. If these multinationals come down, they will help/empower us indirectly.
Thirdly, you mentioned something about Walmart is responsible for decimating thousands of small businesses in the US. Wow and wow undecided In as much as i rarely shop in Walmart, i can see through their business practices and how they have been able to improve the lives of middle class Americans. You will be surprised that most of the above middle class American businesses have a dealing with Walmart one way or the other.Go out there and hang out with regular people you see in the US, have a genuine discussion with them and you will be surprised that most of them own businesses that is associated with Walmart or any of the BIG chain retailers.

Walmart r only interested in one thing -profit! they do not hve the interests of the nigerian ppl or its economy at heart, u. Shld ask urself why they r interested in settng up shop in nigeria in the first place -is it to develop the nigerian economy or make huge profits? Bear in mind tht their ovrheads will be lowr compared to wht they r in america, remembr the naira has been devalued so it will cost them a fraction of wht they wwld hve had to pay americn wkrs . U r only lokkng at the situation frm one angle not realisng tht their r long term consequences -hve u thought abt the domestic businesses tht will be put out of business?wld u be happy to go and earn. Fifteen cents an hour workg for walmart aftr u hve been put out of business by them? Wld u lioke to get fired for complaing abt ur wrkg conditions?
I dnt knw which part of america u r livng in but the avrge americn hates walmart because they dnt provide their workrs wth health insurance despite the billions they make year on year, this is why they r cmg to nigeria where they cn treat workrs worse thn animals wth no challenge frm unions, they also use child labour in their chinese outlets ,walmart is currently facing one of the biggest class action lawsuits in americn history they were not alloewd to get away wth it in america but they will in nigeria, if u want to knw wht nigeria will be like if walmart sets up shop take a look at haiti, all the biggest multinationals r doing business there and using cheap hatian labour while haitis once booming domestic businesses r now all bankrupt .unemployment has gone thru the roof and haitians keep trying to escape the povrty caused by these multinationls but as u knw america does not have an open door Immigration policy towards haiti despite being respnsble for ruining their economy
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by mandsignal(m): 9:37pm On May 22, 2012
igbo2011: Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Said Wal-mart Is Coming To Nigeria, Good Or Bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0I6m8LEXm4

Go to 4:18 on the video. What do you think about this?

I think it is a BAD idea. They will come to Nigeria and import almost everything from China then they will export their revenue out of Nigeria. This will drain the foreign exchange of Nigeria. This is very bad news, we must not allow this to happen. It will also destroy the local economies and will leave thousands of people out of jobs. Wal-Mart will have prices lower than most market so the markets will go down.

It would only be good if 90% of the things sold at Wal-Mart are made in Nigeria.

Wal-Mart is in China but everything is made in China so it is good. But it wouldn't work in Nigeria IMO.

Even India doesn't want Wal-Mart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltu5M5ycpmc
is a very bad idea . Even if the condition is for the to produce be 70% in nigeria. . .the corrupt govt. Wil be bribed . Before you know every fin wil be blown up . BEST THEY SHOULD KEEP AWAY FROM NIGERIA . Just as india did. Simple
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by ladybfashion(f): 9:58pm On May 22, 2012
Wake up nigerian,many us that live in the western world today are not happy where we are,but we don't have a choice because of what our bad leaders like okonja owela as put us through.i live in the u.s and I can tell u vividly how things work here,America will never do anything for your interest.also WalMart coming to Nigeria will definitely create another civil slavery, whereby people that already owned their business will be out of business because no one can compete with them so monopoly comes in remember why Nigeria is suffering from
Stability of power till date.walmart is a cheap employer that only pay minimum wages 8.00/hrs no matter your qualifications they treat u like shit gives u peanut and call u motherfucker Africa.so tell what benefit does their coming gives to us whereby they buy goods from China improving the Chinese economy sell it to us make gain from us and move the profit back to u.s.madam okonja owenla will never shop in WalMart because she don't want people see her buying cheap stuff rather she will shop at Macy and other expensive store in u.s not to talk about in Nigeria why then will she want to do that to other all for the shake of her pocket.think Nigeria.look at this have you ever sit down and think deep why will American decided to give 55,000 people visa lottery every year.abraham Lincoln once said that it is one of the most beautiful compensation that no one can sincerely help another without helping itself.
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by portage(m): 10:21pm On May 22, 2012
cap28 and Ladiesfashion
Nobody will want to make walmart his/her final destination if you ever want to make it real BIG in life. Working at walmart/Tescos/ASDA/Sainsbury is just earnings to help you get by the day. Very few youn men/women will want to build a career in all these places hence the job is more like a temporal job.
I think i heard somebody mentioned that the Ngozi woman will rather shop at Macys and not walmart. Please and please, Macy's do not carry everyday groceries do they??
There are few things i buy at walmart and there are other stuff i buy at Rulli bros and there are stuff i buy at the meat market or Halal meat if i can say that.
By the way Cap28, who does business without the sole aim of making profit in this world undecided undecided

Ileke I still think this move will help our ladies in higher institution to go out there and work decent job to see themselves through higher education rather than waiting for one Bank boy or Alhaji/Chief to be giving them money after sleeping with them undecided or what do you think?
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by Olaone1: 10:31pm On May 22, 2012
cap28:

Walmart r only interested in one thing -profit!

That's the only thing that interests businesses even in the Western world
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by Olaone1: 10:35pm On May 22, 2012
You don't want Walmart in a country where most undergraduates do nothing?

Yet, you all worked while studying abroad. Tesco/Walmart absorbed you all, innit?

Is Walmart not good enough for these undergrads?

Think, guys.

1 Like

Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by portage(m): 10:56pm On May 22, 2012
God bless you there ola one
Sometimes, it is difficult to understand what Nigerians want angry angry There is no free meal anywhere. As human being you need to be able to think and be diligent.
Let these people come o people.Tell me, is it not better to be able to take care of oneself with money to get by the day or months than asking distant relation for help!! Or better still, being a prostitute (ashewo)?
And by ashewo, I mean, all these girls asking for recharge cards/top up credits or even a trip to go see movie or buy BASIC NEED at shoprite. And yahoo-yahoo for the young boys.
See, naija government is not creating any job for anybody and if these people are coming to Nigeria, let them come. If we are not lazy people, we should be able to take advantage.
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by ladybfashion(f): 11:09pm On May 22, 2012
@portage I see where u are coming from but the whole thing is that WalMart will put all this small business around them out out of business no matter what because no one can compete with them and will end up paying peanut to the same set of people after running them out of business.let take for instances your dad or uncle owns some electronic and furniture store down the street where WalMart is locate whereby WalMart will sell the same stuff your dad or uncle sell for far lower than their price and put them out just because they are richer and can buy millions of stuff for cheap and your dad or uncle now started working for WalMart for 200 naira per day.think.
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by cap28: 11:13pm On May 22, 2012
portage: cap28 and Ladiesfashion
Nobody will want to make walmart his/her final destination if you ever want to make it real BIG in life. Working at walmart/Tescos/ASDA/Sainsbury is just earnings to help you get by the day. Very few youn men/women will want to build a career in all these places hence the job is more like a temporal job.
I think i heard somebody mentioned that the Ngozi woman will rather shop at Macys and not walmart. Please and please, Macy's do not carry everyday groceries do they??
There are few things i buy at walmart and there are other stuff i buy at Rulli bros and there are stuff i buy at the meat market or Halal meat if i can say that.
By the way Cap28, who does business without the sole aim of making profit in this world undecided undecided

Ileke I still think this move will help our ladies in higher institution to go out there and work decent job to see themselves through higher education rather than waiting for one Bank boy or Alhaji/Chief to be giving them money after sleeping with them undecided or what do you think?

Its not a question of wht u want to make ur final destination I dnt knw if u knw this but unemploymnt is rising steadily in the west , most ppl who work in walmart r not there because they love the job , its because thts all they cn get and walmart is xploiting their vulnerbl situation. In nigeria unemplymnt is a whoppng forty eight percent this is ideal for an xploitative cmpany like walmart as they can take advantage of the desperation in nigeria and pay workrs starvation wages like they do in haiti, bettr still they cld evn use child labour like they do in china -this will result in a race to the bottom of wages and pls stopcomparng americn workrs to nigerian workrs as low paid americn workrs cn get food stamps and they cn get medicare while nigerian workrs are totally at the mercy of predatory corporations like walmart

Nigerians r the only oppressd ppl I knw who argue in defence of their oppressors -so because businesses r out to make profit does tht justify them payng u a wage u cannt survive on ? Why r those americn walmart workers taking walmart to court why dnt they adopt ur stance and put up wth the abusivve practices of walmart? No wonder walmart is rushng to set up business in nigeria, the avrge nigerian is just like u clueless and easy to xploit.
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by cap28: 11:32pm On May 22, 2012
And portage if u think walmart will pay africn workrs a wage they cn live on u must be livng on cloud cuckoo land! Walmarts workrs in china earn ten cents an hour and work tweve and forteen hour shifts,they cnt afford decent accommodation so they live in work camps wth ten ppl in one room they also pay rent for those rooms - this is why their stuff is so cheap because they prefer to cut down on ovrheadds and keep u workng in the most sub human conditions- all of this will happn in nigeria if u dnt stop daydreamng abt the so calld opportunities u thnk they will bring
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by Olaone1: 11:34pm On May 22, 2012
cap28:

Its not a question of wht u want to make ur final destination I dnt knw if u knw this but unemploymnt is rising steadily in the west , most ppl who work in walmart r not there because they love the job , its because thts all they cn get and walmart is xploiting their vulnerbl situation. In nigeria unemplymnt is a whoppng forty eight percent this is ideal for an xploitative cmpany like walmart as they can take advantage of the desperation in nigeria and pay workrs starvation wages like they do in haiti, bettr still they cld evn use child labour like they do in china -this will result in a race to the bottom of wages and pls stopcomparng americn workrs to nigerian workrs as low paid americn workrs cn get food stamps and they cn get medicare while nigerian workrs are totally at the mercy of predatory corporations like walmart

Nigerians r the only oppressd ppl I knw who argue in defence of their oppressors -so because businesses r out to make profit does tht justify them payng u a wage u cannt survive on ? Why r those americn walmart workers taking walmart to court why dnt they adopt ur stance and put up wth the abusivve practices of walmart? No wonder walmart is rushng to set up business in nigeria, the avrge nigerian is just like u clueless and easy to xploit.
Isn't this counter-intuitive? Starvation wages or no wages? Which do you prefer?

LOL at Nigerians saying no to a company that is good enough to operate in the US and China where labour laws are potent enough. I mean a country that can not even guarantee its populace 5 hours/day uninterrupted power supply? Is that how loving of your country you are? Is this how to be protective of your country from exploitation? By being unable to run anything on your own?

A country with abundant crude oil deposit but blessed with incompetent and deficient people to the extent that they import crude oil products? A country where everybody lives and reasons like deficient men on Zimmer frame?

They have nothing yet they are saying no to something.

Most of the guys saying NO here live abroad. They are ready to say no here but they will walk into Walmart/Tesco later in the evening for their weekly hunt for Walmart/Tesco grocery bargains. Funny people
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by Nobody: 11:36pm On May 22, 2012
Right now in Enugu, Shoprite sells stuff at very, very low prices. Imagine a can of Coke going for 85.99, while in all those your indigenous stores, you get it for 100 or sometimes 120. A kg of fresh, ripe, fat bananas go for 200. A fat, whole, mature chicken going for 759.99.
Now if Walmart comes, prices are going to drop further 'cause of competition. In retail, the lower-price merchant, at the end of the day, gets the most customers. It simple economics guys.
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by portage(m): 11:36pm On May 22, 2012
@ladybfasshion,
Please kindly read through my earlier post on this same page 3. Walmart presence will no doubt bring a lot of changes. But i see it as a situation for ordinary Nigerian to be able to think outside his immediate environment. Sometimes as human beings, we don't move until we have a situation that is beyond us. I love the analogy you gave about the electronic shop. However, this is an opportunity for him to reach out to banks and make them have interest in his business. Who knows, if our banks are responsible they can see a future in his business thereby investing and making his business BIG eventually. But if he continues to sit without any challenge and can not think.....he will loose out and hate Walmart with every drop of blood in his veins.
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by ladybfashion(f): 11:37pm On May 22, 2012
@portage,just because u work at WalMart as a graduate does not mean every one should do the same, bringing giant retailer will definitely put small businesses out of business why don't we appreciate those that have been able to invest the little they have than pulling them down by some set of company that only want to remain giant forever.think.you are here in the state making mouth and collecting peanut from WalMart,why don't you go and live in Nigeria create business and expert some company like WalMart to run u out of business.
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by portage(m): 11:44pm On May 22, 2012
Cap28
You said, most people that work in walmart are forced to be there because of the economy right? I have had a similar job before while trying to get through college hence my saying that it is not supposed to be a destination. If you have a college degree, trust me, you will move higher up in this same walmart. Now, i'm not sure about the walmart you've been to o because i was once in Birmingham, Al. walmart......boy i couldn't believe it is the same walmart!!! You should see the ones in mid-west.
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by Nobody: 11:44pm On May 22, 2012
maybe okonjo is hear. i cant concur
www.nairaland.com/944529/who-who-nairaland
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by portage(m): 11:49pm On May 22, 2012
Ladybfashion, i give up. There is really no point explaining things to you. By the way, i do not work in walmart as a graduate. I used to work is different from i still work. I only said, if people choose to, they can still move up the ladder while working at walmart.
Ladybfashion, i lived a considerable number of years in Nigeria and i know almost everything about working, owning businesses in cities like Lagos, ibadan etc etc.
Thank you for your time.
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by cap28: 11:50pm On May 22, 2012
Oh portage did I mention that wen they set up businesse abroad they get massive tax rebates and they r allowed to repartriate all their wealth back to america wth no obligation to investc in the cntry they r ra.png? Cn u now see they r interested in nigeria?
Re: Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) by portage(m): 11:51pm On May 22, 2012
splendidb20: maybe okonjo is hear. i cant concur
www.nairaland.com/944529/who-who-nairaland
grin grin grin grin Who knows undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

10 Lies About Money. / Government Will Help Next Cash & Carry Supermarket Bounce Back Stronger–Minister / UBA Announces Availability Of New Naira Notes At Atms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.