Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,500 members, 7,819,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

General South Africa Visa Enquiries - Travel (249) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General South Africa Visa Enquiries (1735571 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) (251) (252) ... (915) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by samuelUMOH(m): 3:57pm On Sep 09, 2016
beebwai:
Has anyone gotten admission for next year into any (postgraduate) university? Any ukzn or nmmu? When do the schools generally give admission letters? Thanks as u respond
Schools send admission letter at any time of the year ,depending on department / faculty .what program did you apply for at Ukzn ?
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by samuelUMOH(m): 4:01pm On Sep 09, 2016
HLion:
Good day guys...i am an aspirant ..and i'll like to study in South africa...University of johannssburg..but someone told me that i cant get admission directly with my waec/neco sittings..He source said i have to get admitted in their college which will take a bout a year before i can get admission..please does of you that have been there before...How true is this?@ftromy@mojohnny@friendly101@mzjennifa..Response would be highly appreciated
It is not a must you enrolled in their colleges but the bitter truth is that your waec is evaluated below their own matric .Meaning that you must have Waec + diploma or Gmat or TOEFL to be able to apply for undergraduate program .
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by scholarcute: 4:38pm On Sep 09, 2016
As at wednesday wen I summited my application in abj, I paid 27,880 for visa fee
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by Solatium(m): 4:45pm On Sep 09, 2016
mzjennypher:

@friendly101 payment for hotel and general purchases like shopping et al

You do not need dollars,change.your money to rands and spend your rands there,by changing back and forth you will lose some few naira to the change operators...what i did was i bought 3500 rands on my way, i spent just a thousand from it and change the rest to dollars on my way home....that 3500 rand was less than 110k then,but if you require dollars you might need around 250k to get $500

2 Likes

Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by HLion(m): 5:34pm On Sep 09, 2016
samuelUMOH:
It is not a must you enrolled in their colleges but the bitter truth is that your waec is evaluated below their own matric .Meaning that you must have Waec + diploma or Gmat or TOEFL to be able to apply for undergraduate program .
ok thanks....so how would you rate the stay in south africa our of 10?
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by etoman1(m): 5:39pm On Sep 09, 2016
mojohnny:
Just arrived in SA on Wednesday.
I changed my Naira to dollars then I changed to dollars when I got to the airport here. Naira-Dollar exchange rate was 420 at Sullah bureau de change and when I got here it was 13.6 rands for a Dollar.
Long story short. Changing To dollars then coming over here to convert to rands gives you more value for your money.
.. bros sorry o. I dont understand what u mean. no vex
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by mojohnny(m): 5:42pm On Sep 09, 2016
Because the Naira isn't stable at the moment it's advisable to change to rands
I changed 252k Naira to 600 dollars in Nigeria and I converted this same 600 dollars to 7917 rands after they removed commission here. If I had changed the 252k to rand directly in Nigeria it would have been 6300 rand cos rand was 40 Naira that day.
So I saved almost 2k rand by changing to dollars first.

Solatium:

You do not need dollars,change.your money to rands and spend your rands there,by changing back and forth you will lose some few naira to the change operators...what i did was i bought 3500 rands on my way, i spent just a thousand from it and change the rest to dollars on my way home....that 3500 rand was less than 110k then,but if you require dollars you might need around 250k to get $500
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by mojohnny(m): 5:47pm On Sep 09, 2016
I changed 252k Naira to 600 dollars in Nigeria and I converted this same 600 dollars to 7917 rands after they removed commission here. If I had changed the 252k to rand directly in Nigeria it would have been 6300 rand cos rand was 40 Naira that day.
etoman1:
.. bros sorry o. I dont understand what u mean. no vex
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by etoman1(m): 6:24pm On Sep 09, 2016
mojohnny:
woow! God bless segun. im expecting my visa anytime soon. submitted on 31th(abj). have been thinking on what to do cos of this dollar thing..

my question is... I shouldnt change my naira to dollars (for my BTA). instead I shoild change my naira tp rands abi?? no vex ooo bros
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by mojohnny(m): 9:00pm On Sep 09, 2016
My advice is Change your Naira to dollars in Nigeria and then come to SA to change the dollar to rand.
etoman1:
woow! God bless segun. im expecting my visa anytime soon. submitted on 31th(abj). have been thinking on what to do cos of this dollar thing..

my question is... I shouldnt change my naira to dollars (for my BTA). instead I shoild change my naira tp rands abi?? no vex ooo bros

2 Likes

Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 9:05am On Sep 10, 2016
beebwai:
Has anyone gotten admission for next year into any (postgraduate) university? Any ukzn or nmmu? When do the schools generally give admission letters? Thanks as u respond
According to wits they said towards the end of the year like oct/nov for honours cos that's when their ug students final result be ready for pg admission. Pls whats Postgraduate Id book and how do u go about it when applying to ukzn? The portal ask to upload Pg id book before the application can be completed. Thanks.

Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by Iamabraham(m): 3:45pm On Sep 10, 2016
Please who is traveling to SA this month?
I want to send my certified credentials to my friend there in Jo'burg.
He will contact you anywhere you are, please.
Thanks.
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by mzjennypher(f): 7:00am On Sep 11, 2016
mojohnny:
Just arrived in SA on Wednesday.
I changed my Naira to dollars then I changed to dollars when I got to the airport here. Naira-Dollar exchange rate was 420 at Sullah bureau de change and when I got here it was 13.6 rands for a Dollar.
Long story short. Changing To dollars then coming over here to convert to rands gives you more value for your money.

@mojohnny thanks.
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by mzjennypher(f): 7:08am On Sep 11, 2016
Solatium:

@Solatium kindly see what @mojohnny said. Do they spend usd there?
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by staggerlee: 7:57am On Sep 11, 2016
mojohnny:
Why do you change your dollars in places that they will charge you commission? Do you know there are black markets in SA, just like lagos.
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by Frekey: 12:49pm On Sep 11, 2016
geekybabe:

6 weeks how?

Mine took 5working days. dats about a week.

dats about 3months ago.

I'd want to know exactly. Was it a study permit you applied for that took 5 days? I submitted on the 1st of the month and still it's under assessment in the high commission Lagos. Thanks.
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by mojohnny(m): 12:53pm On Sep 11, 2016
Lol.
I am a newbie here and I don't know anybody here.
So I had to do it at the bureau de change at the airport.
staggerlee:

Why do you change your dollars in places that they will charge you commission? Do you know there are black markets in SA, just like lagos.
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by geekybabe(f): 2:38pm On Sep 11, 2016
Frekey:

I'd want to know exactly. Was it a study permit you applied for that took 5 days? I submitted on the 1st of the month and still it's under assessment in the high commission Lagos. Thanks.

Yep. Study. dat was in June though.
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by geekybabe(f): 2:47pm On Sep 11, 2016
mojohnny:

How or when or were did 1 rand equal 40 naira?? Someone is lying
Intertnational rate is about 22 naira. Let me do your maths for you even at 27 naira.

252k in naira will give you about 9333 rands.. and about 10000 rands if you get a good deal for 25 naira

You lost a lot of money by converting to Dollar first. A whole lot. My advise, always ask around before jumping to conclusions especially wit this unstable naira.

3 Likes

Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by etoman1(m): 4:05pm On Sep 11, 2016
geekybabe:

Intertnational rate is about 22 naira. Let me do your maths for you even at 27 naira.

252k in naira will give you about 9333 rands.. and about 10000 rands if you get a good deal for 25 naira

You lost a lot of money by converting to Dollar first. A whole lot. My advise, always ask around before jumping to conclusions especially wit this unstable naira.
bro biko what are u saying?? is it that he could have changed the naira into rands

sorry to ask again.. I submitted on 31th in abj. nothing till now. only sms from vfs that same day. (anyone in my shoes)??

please bro. should I convert my naira to rands whenni get to airport or dollars I no too carry money. thats why im asking... no vex pls
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by mojohnny(m): 4:35pm On Sep 11, 2016
I shouldn't reply this but I have chosen to not let this slide because of the other people who might be misled by your 'know-it-all' attitude.
At the bureau de change at the airport SULAH bureau de change to be precise one Rand was 40 Naira as at 8:30pm on Tuesday 06th September 2016 while one Dollar was also 420.
Do the maths again 252k/40 is 6300 rand. Someone already in SA told me a dollar converted for 13 rands that's why I changed to dollars. I made adequate and well informed decisions and I got good value for my money.
Don't be RUDE.
To anyone reading this thread intending to change money before you decide which currency to change to from Naira visit bureau de change at the airport or your Aboki (whichever is okay with you) and find out how much each currency changes for and you will be able to make the best decision for yourself.
geekybabe:

Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by samuelUMOH(m): 1:29pm On Sep 12, 2016
1rand to 40naira is crazy high .The bureau de change took advantage of your "newbie"
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by samuelUMOH(m): 1:31pm On Sep 12, 2016
What i s the essence of changing naira to dollars ? When you can get naira to rand rate at cheaper rate .

1 Like

Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by Pendragon1: 5:53pm On Sep 12, 2016
@samuelumoh where in lagos did you think you can get rands conversion directly?
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by samuelUMOH(m): 9:04pm On Sep 12, 2016
Pendragon1:
@samuelumoh where in lagos did you think you can get rands conversion directly?
Go to your bank with passport and evidence of when you are travelling .
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by etoman1(m): 10:37pm On Sep 12, 2016
pla has anyone gotten his visa yet I submitted on 31th.. nothing jothing till now. im worried ALSO WHATS THE NEED OF CHANGING YOUR NAIRA TO DOLLAR WHEN U WILL STILL CHANGE IT BACK TO RANDS??
PLS CAN ANYONE ASSIST ME WITH THE ANSWER?? COS IM TEMPTED TO BUY RANDS (20 NAIRA) INSTead of going for dollars
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by mojohnny(m): 5:33am On Sep 13, 2016
31st of August you mean?
It takes 6-10 working days to process the visa ( that's what they told me when I called the embassy 2 weeks ago)
So it isn't 10 working days yet. Plus the 2 days for Sallah public holiday WILL elongate the working days too.
If by Thursday /Friday you don't get anything you should call the embassy.
Also try to track your application on the VFS website cos I heard that they sometimes forget to send people messages.
etoman1:
pla has anyone gotten his visa yet I submitted on 31th.. nothing jothing till now. im worried ALSO WHATS THE NEED OF CHANGING YOUR NAIRA TO DOLLAR WHEN U WILL STILL CHANGE IT BACK TO RANDS??
PLS CAN ANYONE ASSIST ME WITH THE ANSWER?? COS IM TEMPTED TO BUY RANDS (20 NAIRA) INSTead of going for dollars

1 Like

Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by mojohnny(m): 5:36am On Sep 13, 2016
Well I don't believe they did.
It was clearly displayed on their electronic board. If you do get to change to rand at a much lesser price please let me know so my friends coming soon can use the place you used.
Thanks
samuelUMOH:
1rand to 40naira is crazy high .The bureau de change took advantage of your "newbie"
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by mojohnny(m): 5:38am On Sep 13, 2016
Yes I heard about the bank thing. But I was told it takes at least 2 weeks to process the BTA thing from the bank.
Sadly I couldn't do that cos I had to travel within 24 hours of getting my Visa
samuelUMOH:
Go to your bank with passport and evidence of when you are travelling .
Re: General South Africa Visa Enquiries by staggerlee: 7:51am On Sep 13, 2016
I don't know why buying Dollars or rands is a debate. If you buy dollars is much more better than buying rands in Naija especially if you come to SA and change it in a black market and escapes charges and commission. Dollar is readily available in lagos unlike Rands so it makes it better to buy.

(1) (2) (3) ... (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) (251) (252) ... (915) (Reply)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion.

Viewing this topic: hunee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.