Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,855 members, 7,817,535 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:54 PM

SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola (15733 Views)

Buhari Must Name Aso-rock After MKO Abiola / Longest Flyover In West Africa (kano state), Named After OBASANJO- Pictures / President Jonathan’s Mother Reveals Why He Was Named ‘Goodluck’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by Nobody: 6:11pm On May 29, 2012
Mr. Globe:

I disagree. And its not a good thing to be seen as the symbol of Nigerian democrazy. The SW can make June 12 the regions democracy day. We are not part of it.

Here you go again Mr. Tribalism.

Jesus wept aloud!!!!
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by Raxxye(m): 6:19pm On May 29, 2012
zaboy: so Abiola is getting all these because he allegedly won the election on June 12? well, since we all know Buhari won the election in 2003, why shouldnt an institution be named after him as well?

Did u say “we all“ know? You and who know what? That Buhari did what?
Guy, if you don‘t have what to say, blow whistle!
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by tonymusogo: 6:34pm On May 29, 2012
Unilag Babes now Abiola Babes=)). 
Unilag FM Station now MFM =)) =)). 
Unilag now Moshood Abiola University ( MAU)
50yrs of swag lost on Democracy day!

Uniport don't laff.. 
u r next! 
Patience Ebele Jonathan University 
*PEJU*=))

1 Like

Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by 1025: 6:40pm On May 29, 2012
since jona has no better job to do why not rename River Niger as River MKO. That one is better.

@aze,
do u know when he mentioned that, fear catch me because my club(chelsea) just won champions league so i was thinking joe might change the name to Ijaw try and see fc or ken saro wiwi fc but i am happy now that he didn't remember that.
in all the problems of nigerians, what joe considers more and most important is to change unilag to uni abiola. chai, oyibo will call this one mis-placed priority and it is a big shame.
did u hear him say he told the steward in aso rock to always serve with cassava bread and locally manufactured rice? chai - no wonder thee man wanted N1b for feeding because to chop cassava bread and local rice needs a lot of funding.
how come is this man not saying or reacting to the pdp's chairman's position that boko haram is fighting for justice in the same way he reacted to buhari's speech?
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by conyema12(m): 6:42pm On May 29, 2012
In as much as we are looking for a way to recognise MKO as a hero for a democracy we did nt have, we shld also do well to note the NEC chairman that precided over the said election ...Humphrey Nwosu.. Even in the face of adversity..he was not scared of what the military will do to him yet he delivered a credible election..
I think thats the man to be honored cos if we have had quarter of him as INEC Chairman all these while... Things would have been better.
My take..
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by Delafruita(m): 6:51pm On May 29, 2012
zaboy: so Abiola is getting all these because he allegedly won the election on June 12? well, since we all know Buhari won the election in 2003, why shouldnt an institution be named after him as well?
you must be below the age of voting and probably below the age to legally consume alcohol.that rules out dementia which means you are probably just s.tup.id.abiola won the election which ibb annulled.he was clamped in prison from 1994 till he died.his wife was brutally murdered.his businesses were destroyed.abiola wasnt a saint but the struggle to regain his mandate is what led to this democracy.i'd advice u read history or keep sealed lips

1 Like

Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by Delafruita(m): 6:58pm On May 29, 2012
conyema12: In as much as we are looking for a way to recognise MKO as a hero for a democracy we did nt have, we shld also do well to note the NEC chairman that precided over the said election ...Humphrey Nwosu.. Even in the face of adversity..he was not scared of what the military will do to him yet he delivered a credible election..
I think thats the man to be honored cos if we have had quarter of him as INEC Chairman all these while... Things would have been better.
My take..
humphrey who?oga if you dont know what happened just seal your lips.humphrey nwosu did everything ibb wanted.starting from disqualification of yaradua,atiku etc for no justifiable reason.nwosu had the powers to announce the results but he refused to and accepted a bribe to turn a blind eye
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by Princevik(m): 7:09pm On May 29, 2012
I see this as a threat to democracy........For God sake the school governing body wasn't consulted....Students slept yesterday in Unilag to wake up in a different school. If he wanted to immortalise MKO why not build a monument for him,the resources are there...or if he so wants to be patriotic why not do that in Abuja since its the Seat of power in Nigeria......I won't be surprised to go 2 bed on the 30th of september only to wake up on d 1st of October and learns that National theatre has being named after Funsho Williams(may his soul rest in peace)
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by Azedplus(m): 7:17pm On May 29, 2012
Anyone who IƧ̣̣̣̇̇̇ of matured mind during τ̣̣ђё era of Nigeria battling with military rule and aware of some notable persons contribution among whom IƧ̣̣̣̇̇̇ Bashorun Moshood Kashimawo Olawale Abiola and others ...... A̶̲̥̅♏ against GEJ renaming UNLAG as MAU for some reasonabe facts but i won't raise ♏Ɣ finger or mouth τ̅☺ lash-out τ̣̣ђё personaity of τ̣̣ђё late man ....
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by Nobody: 7:21pm On May 29, 2012
Why r u guys Crying over Split Milk. The name of the University has already been Changed.. (THOUGH AM NOT IN SUPPORT).....Jonathan Just confirmed that he is a Real Boko Haramist....
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by IYANGBALI: 7:25pm On May 29, 2012
the way jonathan dey behave he be like say that fish wey swallow Jonah in the bible na for Nigeria he come vomit am
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by Nobody: 7:28pm On May 29, 2012
Princevik: I see this as a threat to democracy........For God sake the school governing body wasn't consulted....Students slept yesterday in Unilag to wake up in a different school. If he wanted to immortalise MKO why not build a monument for him,the resources are there...or if he so wants to be patriotic why not do that in Abuja since its the Seat of power in Nigeria......I won't be surprised to go 2 bed on the 30th of september only to wake up on d 1st of October and learns that National theatre has being named after Funsho Williams(may his soul rest in peace)

Spot on.

1 Like

Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by publisher(m): 7:42pm On May 29, 2012
[size=15pt]Here are my thoughts. The PDP has never been favorably disposed to immortalizing MKO Abiola,though the SW opposition has always demanded for it. But now,FG has gone ahead to rename UNILAG after MKO, knowing fully well that the opposition, ACN and co will protest against it. I 'think' government will still end up reversing this decision after which they will sit back and see who will ever mention the 'immortalization of MKO Abiola' again. The only unfortunate truth here is that MKO's status as a national hero is still debatable amongst other Nigerian regions outside the SouthWest,thus the naming of a major national monument in Abuja after him may never fly.[/size]
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by bestview: 8:16pm On May 29, 2012
This is a welcome development. We are celebrating the renaming down here in UNIZIK, Awka. This is the GEJ greatest move to cut the SW to size. Imagine renaming learning center to a 419 kingpin of all time. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by OYINBOGOJU(m): 8:29pm On May 29, 2012
Don`t Mess with Yoruba Jonathan

Your decision is one of the disadvantages of having too many advisers

Jonathan is indeed confused

Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by emmalexabl(m): 8:37pm On May 29, 2012
The name ABIOLA is synonymous with ''419 '', logically unilag = 419 university. . . Roflmao
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by feyiona(m): 8:54pm On May 29, 2012
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by emmasege: 9:00pm On May 29, 2012
I sincerely think it is not out of place for the C-in-C who is also the university's visitor to re-name UNILAG after a national hero. Have OAU and ABU (both founded the same year as UNILAG and FG-owned) not been named after deserved heroes. The poser we should rather consider is "did mko deserve such a high magnitude of honour?. My simple answer and personal opinion is NO. He was just an opportune and stubborn compatriot who was greedy of power not because he wanted to serve his father land but because of some other reasons. Naming a domestic airport or UNAAB after him is deserving though.
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by Emmy9ite(m): 9:05pm On May 29, 2012
Am so disappointed with the way this issue has been raised..this regretably lugubrious,how can students protest just because the NAME of their school was changed,how has that changed the price of textbuk in the market or how has it changed their genetic composition..students who should be reading for their exams are out because their PRIDE wont let them be. For God sake,we have Ahmadu Bello university zaria(ABU), Nnamdi Azikiwe University(UNIZIK), Bayero University kano(BUK), Micheal Okpara and d rest of them,all top federal universities, the president has the right to rename a federal university if he so wishes. *so disappointed*
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by azimibraun: 9:20pm On May 29, 2012
GEJ once again has bleeped up bigtime. One yr in office and all i cn feel in d air as account of stewardship in d 1 yr is another controversial renaming of unilag.. Am quite sure thE FAF of d late abiola are nt proud of dis move..wat abt FELA? norin named after d legend?
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by profbumbe: 9:21pm On May 29, 2012
let all bad belle wey must kick against everything a president does
even changing the name of a university,go and jump inside lagoon
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by Nobody: 9:32pm On May 29, 2012
feyiona: All Akokites sign the petition.
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/referendum-against-unilag-change.html

I signed cool

1 Like

Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by Afam4eva(m): 9:47pm On May 29, 2012
I just hope GEJ is no longer toying with the idea of renaming University of Nigeria to "Ojukwu University".
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by Kobojunkie: 9:52pm On May 29, 2012
bayooooooo: June 12 should be recognized as a federal holiday.

Simple question, why? angry
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by Kobojunkie: 9:54pm On May 29, 2012
Hiligoodies: Wat's d link between Unilag, Abiola and Democracy!

Excellent Question. Better yet, what link did MKO have with UNILAG? Was he the schools biggest donor or something? undecided
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by Kobojunkie: 9:56pm On May 29, 2012
bayooooooo:

When were you born? Do you follow history of elections, tribalism and military rule in Nigeria?
That day, June 12, is the most important apart from October 1st, 1960 and January 15, 1970.

Significant in what sense? You wey you know your history, do tell us what significance the events of June 12th 1993 served this nation, that we ought to dedicate a day, of the 365 days we have each year, to it.
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by franktolk(m): 10:12pm On May 29, 2012
In 1956 Moshood Abiola started his professional life as bank clerk with Barclays Bank plc in Ibadan, South-West Nigeria. After two years he joined the Western Region Finance Corporation as an executive accounts officer before leaving for Glasgow, Scotland to pursue his higher education. From Glasgow University he received a first class degree in accountancy. He also received a distinction from the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland. On his return to Nigeria, he worked as a senior accountant at the University of Lagos Teaching Hospital (LUTH).

1 Like

Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by co2(m): 10:26pm On May 29, 2012
does the SNG want Abiola to Be given GCFR that is not possible the Southwest handled this issue as a regional problem right from the onset. Which other region is clamouring for june 12 apart from southwest. They should be grateful that the FG considered it despite all Odds. Remember Unilag is a great brand
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by Kobojunkie: 10:34pm On May 29, 2012
co2: does the SNG want Abiola to Be given GCFR that is not possible the Southwest handled this issue as a regional problem right from the onset. Which other region is clamouring for june 12 apart from southwest. They should be grateful that the FG considered it despite all Odds. Remember Unilag is a great brand

Why does the FG need to consider this, if at all? Our schools are in decay mode . . . have been for a couple of years now. Why is that not of higher priority than this? Why do we need to rename a National Brand with this? Who is MKO to Nigeria as a whole(notice I did not ask you of who he was to his village people)?
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by Kobojunkie: 10:35pm On May 29, 2012
afam4eva: I just hope GEJ is no longer toying with the idea of renaming University of Nigeria to "Ojukwu University".

Oh! He better follow this up with that ASAP . .. light this fire in all regions, make people understand why students are against this.
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by carlos86: 10:44pm On May 29, 2012
Signed by Yinka Odumakin?So is this save Nigeria group speaking or CPC?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo / Leadership Crisis: PDP May Die - Mimiko / Solomon Dalung Celebrates His 52nd Birthday (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.