Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,769 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:31 AM

SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola (15735 Views)

Buhari Must Name Aso-rock After MKO Abiola / Longest Flyover In West Africa (kano state), Named After OBASANJO- Pictures / President Jonathan’s Mother Reveals Why He Was Named ‘Goodluck’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by Nobody: 4:29pm On May 29, 2012
The Save Nigeria Group(SNG) while acknowledging the eternal place of Bashorun M.K.O Abiola, the winner of June 12 elections, in the political history of Nigeria and would want the highest possible honor done to him; deplores the indecent manner in which President Goodluck Jonathan has re-named the University of Lagos after him.

Renaming a University established by law through presidential fiat is an abuse of power which would make even the symbol of democracy turn several times in his grave as he died in the process of fighting against arbitrariness and rule of he thumb which the annulment of June 12 represented.

It is violation of the principles and tenets of democracy which government officials are celebrating to go on air to announce the renaming of an institution like the University of Lagos without any consultations with the university community in a manner reminiscent of the autocratic ways of the military brass hats who denied Abiola his victory in 1993 because they arrogated to themselves better knowledge than 14 million Nigerians who went to the polls.

This presidential misdemeanor displayed on the purported renaming of the University of Lagos without due process is at the heart of the mis-governance that has been the signature of a "democratic" president behaving like an Emperor in the last one year.

The scant regard for appropriation laws that led to the theft of N3 trillion on fuel subsidy whereas only N245 billion was appropriated, the deployment of soldiers against peaceful protesters against the law and other violations of due process in the last one year; are all signals of a dangerous mindset driving the country into a full dictatorship while pretending to a democratic order.

It is high time President Jonathan embraced a democratic mindset and stop behaving like maximum ruler.
We restate our demand that M.K.O Abiola must be given a befitting honor or the sacrifices he made for democracy in Nigeria in a decent and worthy manner.

Yinka Odumakin.

Spokesman.

Save Nigeria Group.

http://saharareporters.com/press-release/sng-rejects-how-unilag-was-named-after-mko-abiola

3 Likes

Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by Nobody: 4:31pm On May 29, 2012
June 12 should be recognized as a federal holiday.

1 Like

Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by slimming: 4:57pm On May 29, 2012
bayooooooo: June 12 should be recognized as a federal holiday.
for what?
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by Nobody: 4:59pm On May 29, 2012
slimming:
for what?
For MKO, the eternal symbol of Nigeria democracy
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by Businesstools(m): 5:04pm On May 29, 2012
There is absolutely nothing significant about June 12.
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by Kockane(m): 5:07pm On May 29, 2012
Nigeria the Banana Republic.
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by signified: 5:08pm On May 29, 2012
To every action there is always opposed an equal reaction: or, the mutual actions of two bodies upon each other are always equal, and directed to contrary parts

2 Likes

Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by Nobody: 5:09pm On May 29, 2012
grin since jona has no better job to do why not rename River Niger as River MKO. That one is better. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by ceejay80s(m): 5:14pm On May 29, 2012
I dnt know why u all are blabbering. With or without Mko abiola ,democracy would have come to us someday somehow. Even after abiola's death,the military still ruled so how is he a hero?

3 Likes

Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by chemberlin(m): 5:14pm On May 29, 2012
To me that is the best cos the student there are always full of them selves, they think there is no one like them all becos of the name, the way students are there isnt it how student are in other school? if the president shd have named it clifford orji university i would have been happy....let them bear it and to those of u that are graduaate and are now thanking God that it wasnt in ur time...i waish u best of luck...u are to be called the true unilag student but as far as am concerned...it now MAULAG....what a primitive name...L.M.A.O

6 Likes

Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by wyt(m): 5:15pm On May 29, 2012
SNG don't really have any reason, just consultation! no wahala, he will. is unilag not befiting to MKO? i think that is the best thing for him! if not that the name spoil the brand 'unilag' but the brand derived its value frm its academic excellence. people just hate GEJ period

3 Likes

Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by Hiligoodies: 5:15pm On May 29, 2012
Wrong move by Jonathan...
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by OluBendel: 5:16pm On May 29, 2012
This is an opportunity to further strenghten our laws and make it such that the processes for naming public institutions are carefully guided (with legislative assent,if need be) so as not to insult the sensibilities/sentiments of the people no matter how well intended.Naming of public institutions be it schools, stadium, streets, townships etc are expected to reflect accepted sentiments without the acrimony this case is generating.Afterall a stadium is Kano is named after Sani Abacha, despite his deeds,and his people are ok with it, Buba Marwa gardens renamed MKO Abiola garden too.GEJ should carry the citizenry along and show more sensitivity in issues as this, so his intentions are not misinterpreted unduely.My take!

2 Likes

Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by Hiligoodies: 5:17pm On May 29, 2012
Wat's d link between Unilag, Abiola and Democracy!
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by Nobody: 5:17pm On May 29, 2012
aze: grin since jona has no better job to do why not rename River Niger as River MKO. That one is better. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

All geography textbooks will have to be changed! Nile MKO Orange Congo Zambezie Limpopo .....

It doesn't rhyme!

6 Likes

Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by mamaafrik(m): 5:19pm On May 29, 2012
slimming:
for what?
,u pple can always hide 4rm it,but he's a hero.
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by RoyalRoy(m): 5:19pm On May 29, 2012
University of Abuja now renamed Patience Ebele Jonathan University. (PEJU)
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by Nobody: 5:21pm On May 29, 2012
Businesstools: There is absolutely nothing significant about June 12.

When were you born? Do you follow history of elections, tribalism and military rule in Nigeria?
That day, June 12, is the most important apart from October 1st, 1960 and January 15, 1970.

2 Likes

Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by EMMABC1(m): 5:23pm On May 29, 2012
It's high these yoruba rights activists esp Odumakin defined their mission and purpose in this govt. Are they being used against dis govt by tinubu and buhari or are they really defending human rights? How can they attack GEJ for immortalising MKO wt a prestigious nat'l university, when past govt including dat of their own son OBJ neva thought so. I think sth is fishy and MKO will not be happy wt these sycophantic cowards. Enof is enof.
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by Nobody: 5:23pm On May 29, 2012
ceejay80s: I dnt know why u all are blabbering. With or without Mko abiola ,democracy would have come to us someday somehow. Even after abiola's death,the military still ruled so how is he a hero?

I laugh no be small. without MKO, IBB would probably still be in power by now. Go and read African Concord of early 90s to know more about Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by Nobody: 5:25pm On May 29, 2012
EMMA BC: It's high these yoruba rights activists esp Odumakin defined their mission and purpose in this govt. Are they being used against dis govt by tinubu and buhari or are they really defending human rights? How can they attack GEJ for immortalising MKO wt a prestigious nat'l university, when past govt including dat of their own son OBJ neva thought so. I think sth is fishy and MKO will not be happy wt these sycophantic cowards. Enof is enof.

Shut it!
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by Nobody: 5:29pm On May 29, 2012
President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan in his ‘democracy day’ broadcast renamed Unveristy of Lagos after Late Moshood Kashimawo Olawale Abiola . For those who may not know him, Abiola was a pan-African. He was A Nigerian businessman turned politician, whose influence cut across, not just Nigeria, but Africa. He was known as ‘the pillar of sports in Africa’.

Abiola contested the position of President of Nigeria in 1993, and won the election in what is till date referred to as one of the freest and fairest elections ever conducted. He won convincingly in all strategic geo political zones of Nigeria including Kano the home state of his opponent Bashir Tofa. He remained president-elect until he died trying to reclaim his mandate in 1998, his election was annulled by military dictator Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida.

[b]During my time as secretary General of the Oduduwa People’s Congress, We mandated a delegation led by Rotimi Obadofin under the Coalition of Odua Self Determination Group to meet with then President Olusegun Obasanjo with the mandate to demand the honouring of MKO Abiola by Federal Government of Nigeria for Abiola'a contribution and sacrifice to the Nigerian democratic process as Obasanjo was a key beneficiary of the June 12 struggle. Obasanjo rejected all appeals to name any National asset in Abuja after Abiola. Obasanjo insisted on federal assets in South-West Nigeria. Amongst Obasanjo’s offer was to rename Univeristy Of Ibadan or University of Lagos after MKO. We rejected both offers, insisting it was an effort to sectionalise Abiola and that South West AD governors have done quite a lot already to honour Abiola. Today we have MKO ABIOLA FREEDOM Park. Moshood Abiola Polytechnic and a host of others. It is now quite clear that the PDP does not want Abiola immortalised in Abuja, the federal capital territory.[/b]

I view president Ebele Jonathan's gesture to rename Univeristy of Lagos after moshood abiola as an insult to the nationalistic caliber of the 1993 democratically elected president of Nigeria who gave his life for the mandate given to him by the people of Nigeria. It is an attempt to denigrate such a unanimously elected leader to a regional head. This is unacceptable.

We look to this government to rename a more representative edifice, in Abuja something nationalistic e.g the current Abuja National Stadium. Abiola was well known for his contribution to sports in Nigeria and Africa as a whole.

It is never too late for Mr President to change his mind.

Whilst I am certain Yorubas feel renaming unilag after this great man is deserving, it is my belief that a national edifice is even more befitting. I therefore ask for the government to immediately rescind its decision and rename a national edifice after the man who was elected by the 6 geo political zones in Nigeria.

Meanwhile our government both at federal, state and local government level can honour this man and his sacrifice by giving us good governance and providing the basic necessities like power supply, functioning health facilities and good roads. It is not enough to spend millions of tax payers money on an annual June 12 Jamboree, especially in South West Nigeria when most of the public office holders operate like mini demi gods, with no respect for the basic rights of the people they lead.

We implore this government to stop majoring on the minor and start focussing on its primary responsibilities.

8 Likes

Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by moderattor: 5:39pm On May 29, 2012
Obasanjo is the symbol of Nigerian Democracy.
The only man who handed over to civilian president twice.
Has been in Nigerian politics ensuring that the military doesnt take over again
and that total anarchy doesn't break loose.
Built PDP the countries greatest political party. Has campaigned in every election since 1999.

Despite his evil short comings, he is Mr. Nigeria.
Long Live the President (OBJ).

2 Likes

Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by zaboy: 5:40pm On May 29, 2012
so Abiola is getting all these because he allegedly won the election on June 12? well, since we all know Buhari won the election in 2003, why shouldnt an institution be named after him as well?
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by espn(m): 5:44pm On May 29, 2012
Very soon dat fool wld rename NIGERIA..probably to patience egbere or bayelsa..stupid president!so daft nd crude!he shld go back to d creeks he came from..let him go nd start farming or sell palm wine!
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by Nobody: 5:45pm On May 29, 2012
zaboy: so Abiola is getting all these because he allegedly won the election on June 12? well, since we all know Buhari won the election in 2003, why shouldnt an institution be named after him as well?

I am not aware. I know that Buhari is perpetually unelectable. grin
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by Nobody: 5:48pm On May 29, 2012
wyt: SNG don't really have any reason, just consultation! no wahala, he will. is unilag not befiting to MKO? i think that is the best thing for him! if not that the name spoil the brand 'unilag' but the brand derived its value frm its academic excellence. people just hate GEJ period

It's easier to point blame than to seek reason.

I suppose after analysis, it's easy to see why GEJ could make such a move. On this Democracy Day, it would have been befitting to praise democracy and how it has bettered Nigeria, use Abiola as an example of a fighter and believer of true democracy in a speech, give reasons as to why we need more Abiolas, and then ensure that democracy will continue to reign, but I dey dream. That's impossible seeing that heavy protest in January led to the dispersal of the Nigerian army on unarmed civilians, an act similar to what happens in dictator-ran nations. There's very little trace, if any at all, of democracy in Aso Rock, so this is a classic GEJ move.
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by zaboy: 5:51pm On May 29, 2012
bayooooooo:

I am not aware. I know that Buhari is perpetually unelectable. grin

dont matter if he is electable or not...just replying those advocating for June 12 to be a public holiday

1 Like

Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by laminaria(m): 5:52pm On May 29, 2012
Hiligoodies: Wat's d link between Unilag, Abiola and Democracy!
I wonder ooo
Y nt kuku name. 9ja d federal republic of MKO tos show his patriotism...wat a fool president and co excos!
Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by MrGlobe(m): 6:00pm On May 29, 2012
bayooooooo:
For MKO, the eternal symbol of Nigeria democracy
I disagree. And its not a good thing to be seen as the symbol of Nigerian democrazy. The SW can make June 12 the regions democracy day. We are not part of it.

1 Like

Re: SNG Rejects How UNILAG Was Named After MKO Abiola by dramaticspeak(m): 6:07pm On May 29, 2012
GEJ changed the name to confuse boko haram since they have started bombing universities

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian Army Issues Statement On Allowances, Warns Mischief Makers / Gov Ajimobi Celebrates His Senior Personal Assistant / FACT CHECK: Was There No Fuel Scarcity In Last 7yrs As APC Youth Leader Claimed?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.