Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,101 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:33 AM

Much Ado About A President's Broadcast: Clueless Leaders, Clueless Followers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Much Ado About A President's Broadcast: Clueless Leaders, Clueless Followers (649 Views)

What Fayose Wore To Visit Ewi Of Ado-Ekiti (Photo) / Fayose Pictured At Ado Chicken Republic Eating Meat (pic) / Much Ado About Buhari's Daughter Schooling Overseas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Much Ado About A President's Broadcast: Clueless Leaders, Clueless Followers by naijaparrots(m): 7:52pm On May 29, 2012
“In a democracy, the people get the government they deserve” - Alexis de Tocqueville
The presidential broadcast marking 2012 Democracy Day has come and gone however, as it has become the norm that any time the President speaks, there MUST be angry reactions this is no exception.

The President’s Democracy Day Broadcast has 71 paragraphs with each majorly treating separate issues. The renaming of the hitherto University of Lagos (UNILAG) as Moshood Abiola University (MAU) which was contained in the very last paragraph (71st) paragraph is the bone of contention this time.

So controversial it is that many Nigerians who did not listen “LIVE” to the President’s Broadcast would believe, thanks to the unnecessary noise, that all the President said during the one-hour Broadcast was the announcement of the renaming of UNILAG.

I am deeply disturbed by the unnecessary hullabaloo that this issue has generated. For God’s sake, Mr. President talked for one hour and it is shameful that one thing that we could pick out from the whole speech is the issue of the nomenclature of an educational institution.

Before I go on, let me quickly say that I am not a fan of President Goodluck Jonathan. His one year in office is a huge disappointment. While many people believe it is too early to crucify him, a sentiment I partially share, the president has not done anything substantial to inspire in Nigerians any ounce of hope of better days ahead. A popular Yoruba adage has it that “if it takes you 20 years to prepare for madness, how long will it take you to enter a market naked?"

Additionally, the President has a great work to do to convince me that he is not a corrupt man. Many of his ministers have been fingered in many corruption scandals but he has not asked any of them to step aside pending conclusion of investigations let alone sack them. That does not portray the action of a serious man who wants to fight corruption.

That said, and now back to the President’s Broadcast, the President concluded the Broadcast by announcing the change of nomenclature of UNILAG to MAU. Yes he changed the name of a federal institution. And so? What on earth is a big deal in that action? Is he the first President to do that?

Let me refresh our minds a bit. The present Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ife was formerly University of Ife, Osun State. The present Nnamdi Azikiwe University (NAU), Akwa was an offshoot of the defunct Anambra State University of Technology (ASUTECH). The present Ahmadu Bello University (ABU), Zaria was formerly known as the University of Northern Nigeria. These three are just a few of the many examples that abound in our society. I am therefore at a loss over the rationale or appropriateness of the noise this one has generated as if what the president has done is something out of the blues.

While I cannot fathom why the president should be hated this much by the very people he is governing (that is not my business anyway – his media people should work on that) I think we should not hate or oppose his actions just because we hate him. I am appalled that this issue of opposition to President Jonathan and his government is deteriorating to the stage that any action or decision taken by the President will be opposed without any efforts to study the pros and cons of the action.

We are not in an animal kingdom. God did not give us the power of reasoning for nothing. He did in order to... Click link to read full article

http://www.247naijaparrots.com/2012/05/much-ado-about-presidents-broadcast.html?m=1

Re: Much Ado About A President's Broadcast: Clueless Leaders, Clueless Followers by tpia5: 7:57pm On May 29, 2012
what on earth is this democracy day, and/or democracy day broadcast?

when did nigeria start marking it?
Re: Much Ado About A President's Broadcast: Clueless Leaders, Clueless Followers by tpia5: 8:02pm On May 29, 2012
and as a matter of fact, ABU has never had a name change since it's inception in 1962.

The Ashby Commission report recommendations gave a new impetus and direction, and it was ultimately decided to create a University of Northern Nigeria sited at Zaria (rather than Kano). The university would take over the facilities of the Nigerian College of Arts, Science and Technology at Samaru just outside Zaria, and would also incorporate the Ahmadu Bello College in Kano, the Agricultural Research Institute at Samaru, the Institute of Administration at Zaria, and the Veterinary Research Institute at Vom on the Jos Plateau. The law establishing the new university was passed by the Northern Region legislature in 1961. It was decided to name the university after Ahmadu Bello

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmadu_Bello_University

(1) (Reply)

Gov. Rochas Launches A Social Website For Youths / Fashola's Mega City Of Lagos? Is There Progress Towards It Or Not? / The Presidential Media Chat!: Why Are Africans So Dumb?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.