Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,616 members, 7,823,689 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:25 PM

Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? (12100 Views)

Help, I Can't Cook To Save My Life! / My Husband Is Igbo But I Can't Cook! / Does It Matter If She Can't Cook? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by otokx(m): 12:30am On Jun 03, 2012
Pakavy: ...and b eaten!

wink
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by stagger: 12:32am On Jun 03, 2012
I know how to cook, and very well too;

Gave my wife a shocker when she wanted to use it as a bargaining chip during a disagreement. The woman just left for work and refused to cook. She came back and met me demolishing pounded yam and banga soup in the evening. Of course I made sure I put the soup pot in the freezer so she would have to defrost it herself. Now that is one less weapon for her to use against me when yawwa dey.

Guys, if you do not know how to cook, I am very sorry for you.

2 Likes

Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by mimifonwon(f): 12:34am On Jun 03, 2012
acidtalk: I got a very big surprise earlier today.

A very good friend's father called me yesterday only to instruct me to come see him unfailinly today. When I got there, I was shocked as the old man told me myself and his two sons were going to help in out in the kitchen to cook for his wife's 62nd birthday as she was expected to fly in this afternoon (she has arrived).

He specifically wanted to prepare fish stew, meat stew, fried snail sauce,banga soup, salad, jollof and fried rice as well as egusi soup.

He did the "luck deep pick" by writting in paper what the four of use were going to prepare differently, long story short,

I was lucky to have selected the fish stew and egusi soup (but had to snap the fish stew with meat stew with my friend because I hadly or never even cook fish).

After preparing dinner and we serving it to the entire household with a few fimily friends who came to the small get together.
Without announcing who prepared what, to my greatest surprise it appeared by Egusi and and meat stew got a whole lot of compliments with the egusi being the overall winner (by everyone's vote). *winks*

After much talk about the idea of men knowing how to cook and how well it could help the homefront, I was struct by the statement of an elder man of over 80years saying at his age he still enters the kitchen once a while to help his wife out and that "a man should be Ashamed rather than proud for not knowing how to cook".

Fellow nairalnders do you agree with the above statement by this elderly man? A man who grew up from the very old generation where it was believed women should do ALL domestic chores. Without the man assisting.

Poster see i dont blame this generation for not knowing to cook. Its the mother's fault. My mom used to do that, telling my bros they shouldnt learn to cook, till we went to our maternal village to visit our great grandma and she forced all of us, regardless of gender to cook, because she says that at a point in our lives, especially for the men, that their mothers will not be around to cook their favorite dishes, so they needed to learn for their own good, so that a woman will not use food to hold them or punish them. My children must learn to cook regardless of gender.

2 Likes

Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by Nobody: 12:41am On Jun 03, 2012
U r a good cook bt I must admit that u r a terrible writer.Ur post is full of errors.Maybe nw u shld learn how to write.
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by deb(m): 12:43am On Jun 03, 2012
Shd be too busy to worr abt more important things
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by freecocoa(f): 12:57am On Jun 03, 2012
I don't know about a man being ashamed for not knowing how to cook but i do know that,shame suppose catch man wey no sabi cook cheesy.

My Dad cooks very well,I remember when my mum had surgery,she was admitted in the hospital for weeks,my dad did all the cooking and he still cooks till date.

My boyfriend is another good cook but i noticed he used lots of seasoning,i helped him stop that,now his meals doesn't taste maggi maggi anymore cheesy.

Btw OP,how many cubes of Maggi did you put in the soup? Cos that's how most guys get the food to taste good,they use maggi power.
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by carlos86: 1:01am On Jun 03, 2012
Esin waju: A man should be ashamed if he cannot provide for his family! Every other thing na hogwash.

Not knowing or knowing how to cook is totally different from providing for the family

1 Like

Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by Nobody: 1:20am On Jun 03, 2012
freecocoa: I don't know about a man being ashamed for not knowing how to cook but i do know that,shame suppose catch man wey no sabi cook cheesy.

My Dad cooks very well,I remember when my mum had surgery,she was admitted in the hospital for weeks,my dad did all the cooking and he still cooks till date.

My boyfriend is another good cook but i noticed he used lots of seasoning,i helped him stop that,now his meals doesn't taste maggi maggi anymore cheesy.

Btw OP,how many cubes of Maggi did you put in the soup? Cos that's how most guys get the food to taste good,they use maggi power.

Good observation. I always have to get my i cube of maggi ready for anything - soup, meat stock, rice... grin
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by NAJALYN: 1:43am On Jun 03, 2012
Men who cant cook need not be ashamed. However they certainly need to learn and know how to cook. They cant run away from it. They will get married and when their wife deliver they may have to cook and care for her until help comes, i.e until probably her mum or sister comes to assist. Realise that for a man who has other kids he still needs to cook and care for those kids. So men who cant cook should start learning. Its very easy. Watch your mum, sister, or wife whenever she cooks and learn.
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by freecocoa(f): 1:55am On Jun 03, 2012
davidylan:

Good observation. I always have to get my i cube of maggi ready for anything - soup, meat stock, rice... grin
Trust me i know.

Having a brother and a boyfriend whom uses 4 or more cubes of maggi to cook food a 5 year old can eat at a go(claiming they know how to cook),has taught me to be on the look out when eating a meal cooked by a guy.grin
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by ziediolike(m): 1:56am On Jun 03, 2012
All guys can cook.. i cook egg, tea, fry plantian etc we dey manage bt sm are beyond us sha
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by Nobody: 2:12am On Jun 03, 2012
freecocoa: Trust me i know.

Having a brother and a boyfriend whom uses 4 or more cubes of maggi to cook food a 5 year old can eat at a go(claiming they know how to cook),has taught me to be on the look out when eating a meal cooked by a guy.grin

grin grin Isnt that equivalent to food poisoning? I use only one for soup enough to last 2 for at least 3 days. It is not the maggi that does the trick but the skill used to prepare the soup.
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by Lagosianswag: 2:57am On Jun 03, 2012
marshpearl: I once had a friend that did.nt know how to cook.
We all laughed at him for his lack of cooking skills. .
Then he decided to open a nairaland account. . .
After reading your thread he felt ashamed and depressed. . .
Then he put on his tv and unfortunately for him goodluck announced that its BETTER TO BE DEAD THAN ASHAMED. .
my friend just hanged himself cuz he did.nt know how to cook. .
THANKS TO MUKINA2 FOR STICKING THE WRONG THREADS ON THE FRONT PAGE sad sad

Dude? Seriously is this for real or just a joke? undecided
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by EfemenaXY: 3:19am On Jun 03, 2012
I think men who can't cook should learn asap AND the mothers of such men should feel ashamed of themselves.

I've been surrounded by men who cook. Both my dad and father-in-law were fantastic cooks. My hubby's cooking is just as good as well. Infact his Egusi soup na die! tongue It's actually got to the point where our kids get stuck trying to decide whose cooking they love best, mum or dad's cheesy cheesy

My sons are fast becoming good cooks as well. When I go food shopping especially for African stuff, they come with me. Now they expertly know how to descale, clean and slice up fresh fish for example.

The last thing I want for my sons, is for them to be dependant on some woman / girlfriend who'll use food/cooking to hold them to ransome. Learning how to cook (properly) is one of many ways I'm helping steer my boys to living totally independent lives, when the time comes.

Infact, I'm so confident of their abilities that I know that when my little girl grows up, her brothers would be more than equal to the task of teaching her to be a great cook also. smiley

1 Like

Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by Metalgoong(m): 3:27am On Jun 03, 2012
Efemena_xy: I think men who can't cook should learn asap AND the mothers of such men should feel ashamed of themselves.

I've been surrounded by men who cook. Both my dad and father-in-law were fantastic cooks. My hubby's cooking is just as good as well. Infact his Egusi soup na die! tongue It's actually got to the point where our kids get stuck trying to decide whose cooking they love best, mum or dad's cheesy cheesy

My sons are fast becoming good cooks as well. When I go food shopping especially for African stuff, they come with me. Now they expertly know how to descale, clean and slice up fresh fish for example.

The last thing I want for my sons, is for them to be dependant on some woman / girlfriend who'll use food/cooking to hold them to ransome. Learning how to cook (properly) is one of many ways I'm helping steer my boys to living totally independent lives, when the time comes.

What about mothers of females who dont know how to cook? . . Those mothers should not only feel ashamed of themselves, but they deserve to be jailed shocked shocked
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by EfemenaXY: 3:32am On Jun 03, 2012
^^ Lol!

Maybe so, but the thread is about men who can't cook. cheesy
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by Lagosianswag: 3:51am On Jun 03, 2012
Just Passing...
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by Kagawa: 3:57am On Jun 03, 2012
It is wussys like u that give men a bad name..... How old Я̩̥̊ you You must be ashamed of yourself. What are you hstling? Men like you are those who be hustling on dia bed with eyes closed or infront of a tv all d̲̅ά̲γ. Yu can like to STFU
bashr8: why should you know how to cook when you mum , sisters, girlfriend or wife will be there? men have no buisness in the kitchen , you can not be hursling outside with agberos, police, customs ,banks whether legit ot illegit and be thinking of how to cut onions or buy peeper to cook soup, that lame. better go and marry a woman that will cook for you or hire a cook.

1 Like

Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by fingard02k(m): 4:44am On Jun 03, 2012
ashamed of what? there is no big deal of a man not knowing how to cook ( am a good cook) he can only be ashamed of himself if he cannot provide for his family needs...so make una forget that thing

1 Like

Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by Nobody: 4:59am On Jun 03, 2012
I dont tink a man in his 20's, 30's and 40's would have time to cook unless if he is Jobless.. And as 4 Married men, why Should I be the 1 that run around doing the hustling on how to make money.. Use my Head to tink while sleeping on how to Give u Money 4 fud. And u stil expect me in d Kitchen *error* (Even if I am d best cook how can I have time...) My Mother do tell me dat, My father was a great cook when they were courting, but I have neva seen my father in the Kitchen since I was born.
My conclusion is Men should not be Ashamed, If they cant cook,(KINI BIG DEAL) women Should be..
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by Nobody: 5:03am On Jun 03, 2012
fingard02k: ashamed of what? there is no big deal of a man not knowing how to cook ( am a good cook) he can only be ashamed of himself if he cannot provide for his family needs...so make una forget that thing
I swear, U get Sense...(wetin concern Agbero with Overload)
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by tonymariao(m): 5:07am On Jun 03, 2012
ArQueBusieR: Me in the kitchen?! Unthinkable(!) I'd rather be where the metal meets the meat(!)
Abi u be mallam na joke l dey oh but on a serious note a man is not yet complete if u don't know hw 2 prepare what substains u in life on ur own l tink is wrong
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by Jiah011(f): 5:28am On Jun 03, 2012
#nigerianproblems
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by donguutti: 5:45am On Jun 03, 2012
ashamed of what?? if i cannot cook, whose problem is it..........mine, what is the big deal
with cooking sef, no be to put pot on fire,put tomato , put oil, add pepper, salt, meat
and other things, wait 30-45 minutes, bring down the pot and voila, u have a pot of stew.
NO i am not ashamed , its just that the stew tastes funny. tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by johnezz(m): 5:52am On Jun 03, 2012
[i][/i] Well, it's VERY important for a man to be good in cooking but not being ashamed when he can't 'cos, africanly&biblicaly speaking, it's a woman's duty to cook.
He can help when the woman is not feeling strong but never take it as his duty 'cos, once he does, she will be lazying around.I discovered that from my neabour who felt he was showing love to his wife by cooking for her, only for his wife to abadon the duty for him most times and that resulted to frequent fighting in that home.
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by Hemanwel(m): 6:00am On Jun 03, 2012
I've heard gals say dat dey cant marry a guy wu knws hw 2 cuk vry well simply cos their own efforts wud nt b apreciated.....

All men knw hw 2 cuk nah!Dey can feed a woman 4 nine mnths wit their special delicacy of 2eggs,1 sausage,n small milk..Na lie?lol

1 Like

Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by crackhouse(m): 6:09am On Jun 03, 2012
Why should they be ashamed? Is that their domestic duty?
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by betrani(m): 6:13am On Jun 03, 2012
ArQueBusieR:
lol. . .I'm a fast learner.
PORTTI
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by moremi2008(m): 6:14am On Jun 03, 2012
I cook fairly decently but I always hide it from my girlfriends. A woman that knows that you can cook won't cook for you eagerly. I just sit there and pretend like the only thing I have been eating all week is cereal and Chinese take-out so she feels sorry for me and makes me pots of soup! Works like a charm! Women like to feel wanted and needed! grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by ektbear: 6:27am On Jun 03, 2012
Interesting thread
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by Nobody: 6:34am On Jun 03, 2012
In nigeria,there is nothing to be ashamed of, not knowing how to cook as a man...Buh knowing how to cook still gives u a lot of edge,the ability to cook as a man is more like holding the four Aces in a joker game...I dated this girl back in my university days and she sees me like some kind of demi-god cos after the other positive compliments there's a "Good Cook" attached some where in there...U can imagine when a woman finds out that ur,cute,rich,have a sense of humour,gat super sex skills and Still superCook;U've gat nuffing to lose!
Re: Should Men Who Can't Cook Be Ashamed Or Proud? by naijacloud: 6:45am On Jun 03, 2012
Can someone explain 2 me how this topic made the front page

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Be Careful What You Eat - These Are Canned As Sadines / 2023 Honeywell Christmas Combo Bundle | Best Gif Combo Pack / What Is The Scientific And Proper Name For The Following Nigerian Foods?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.