Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,004 members, 7,838,516 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:41 AM

GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. (22652 Views)

Buhari Seeks Senate Approval To Borrow N2.10 Trn / Dogara Seeks Senate’s Approval For Removal Of IGP / Power Supply: GEJ Seeks 'Honest Feedback' From Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Akieagle: 9:39pm On Jun 06, 2012
No mind them,jonathan,u make sense die
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by lacum: 9:59pm On Jun 06, 2012
Most of d comments against d president here shows dat most of us dont know how govt operates. OBJ did smtin like dis in his regime, its not a bad approach he is d president and his going to d senate is just like a formality.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by pawesome(m): 10:00pm On Jun 06, 2012
Dis guy do smoke weed b4 addresing the nation....am S̶̲̥̅☺ S̶̲̥̅☺ sure.afta bomb has xploded,u̶̲̥̅̊​ beef  security n u̶̲̥̅̊​ hv neva 4 once caught a culprit..now,u̶̲̥̅̊​ rename a univasity b4 goin to d senate 4 approval...dts lik stupidity.even a baby will knw wich step to tak...GEJ,pls tell me wich country u̶̲̥̅̊​ will  sell nigeria to S̶̲̥̅☺ dt  wll stat lookin 4 a name dt will suit me
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Ugosample(m): 10:00pm On Jun 06, 2012
Mr Beaf, may God forgive you. Say amen to this sincere prayer.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by lacum: 10:09pm On Jun 06, 2012
Dat uni agriculture umudike and FUT change of names are alredy affected by d NUC since last yr should make u guys know dat d president is not wrong. His bill to d senate is just a formality
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Ugosample(m): 10:12pm On Jun 06, 2012
Doesn't the president have better things to do with his time and money. Do you know the financial implication of renaming a university? Please, let him invest the money in the educational sector not in name change.. God help us in this country.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by yohannazack(m): 10:23pm On Jun 06, 2012
Wat is so important in changin names of universities, dat d useless man is bent in changin instead of equipin them? Culd dis be one of his campaign promise? Focusless president we hav ever had in dis country. Wat happend to d new 9ne universities he used to duped pple durin elections? God in heaven wl judge btw nigerians a nd gej.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by yohannazack(m): 10:31pm On Jun 06, 2012
D deadline he assured nigerians dat we shal not xperience boko haram in june. On d 3/6/12 how many pple were killed in bauchi? We jst loss abut 153 nigerians to plane crash, only to declare a 3 day mornin. Lagos state lawmakers are askin dat aviation minister shuld resign, but he is not sayin anythin. God wl help us.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Meristem: 10:41pm On Jun 06, 2012
SHOOT!-AIM!-READY! : Retardinho Gridlock Jonathan, arrange those three words on the right sequence .Oya! ***Picks up a koboko***
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by phemmyutd(m): 10:52pm On Jun 06, 2012
This our so call president have never disappoint of for once, because i ve never expect any reasonable thing from him b4

1 Like

Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by yohannazack(m): 11:08pm On Jun 06, 2012
Wuld change of d names of universities bring development. I think is time d national assembly tell dis man dat there is national issues and not changin of universities names. Foolish man.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Obijulius: 11:11pm On Jun 06, 2012
MAULAG has come 2 stay, nothing will change it, not even all ur tears and ur mums' tears.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Ugosample(m): 11:20pm On Jun 06, 2012
If the house of assembly takes this letter serious, that will be an indictment on the National assembly too. If not, why is the Petroleum Industry Bill that will benefit Nigerians not passed yet? That is a more important bill. Senate pls face the pib bill and throw out this name change letter.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by nateevs(m): 11:33pm On Jun 06, 2012
Beaf:

What a dummy! Maybe you think the June 12 riots were a picnic where you could leisurely walk round and take pictures.
Do you even think camera's were as compact as they are now that you would have a camera on your neck while uprooting the barriers between lanes on Ikorodu Road? Yes, we uprooted the barriers and used them to block the road. Have you ever seen a picture of the June 12 riots? Those who were there will laugh at your suggestion, because it was nothing todays youth can imagine.

Dude, ask your people who were shivering under their beds while he-men were owning the streets just what it was like. lol!
Bro, throughout my youth, I was a student leader. There was no email or twitter in those days, we had to physically travel between uni's.
No be like now when una be coward.

If you were a student leader tell us who you led, what school and find someone to corroborate your claims. Else it never happened.
Propagandists like you how to hide in the shadows of "no technology in those days" and claim Jesus came back but we missed it. Now you are preaching to faceless profiles how you used to be important because you've finally found someone who pays for your deceitful voice.

Just stop abeg. Your reputation for being truthful on this forum is non existent.
Even you fear for your normal life, you can never reveal your identity.

We fought, we led, we cried. . . please man!
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Ibime(m): 12:23am On Jun 07, 2012
The Assembly will ask GEJ to share N20 bln to pass this bill, and knowing how many times GEJ has performed a volt-face (no going back on subsidy etc), he might not want to be caught with his pants down again. That would leave us with the ridiculous scenario of GEJ sharing money to the Assembly for an unnecessary bill that everyone protested against, just so GEJ can save face.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by nduchucks: 1:15am On Jun 07, 2012
Ibime: The Assembly will ask GEJ to share N20 bln to pass this bill, and knowing how many times GEJ has performed a volt-face (no going back on subsidy etc), he might not want to be caught with his pants down again. That would leave us with the ridiculous scenario of GEJ sharing money to the Assembly for an unnecessary bill that everyone protested against, just so GEJ can save face.

^+100 It appears you have a good understanding of how the current system works. The system is worse than corrupt. embarassed angry
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Ekuzzy: 1:16am On Jun 07, 2012
imagin dis una presido bein a Doctor who is to perform his first operation on a goittre patient,just
imagine wat he will do judging by all d wrong decision he has taken so far.jonah is not just clueless
on due process by also surrounded by bunch of clueless and worst still illiterate advisers.ope we ve learnt
our lessons sha.idiot man
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by BetaThings: 1:44am On Jun 07, 2012
Niger_d: Those that cried Foul over the rename are just doing that based on special hatred to GEJ..
If he renamed it Yaradua u will want to kill him...

and to the ill-fated DANA Air.. so many people were pointing accusing finger to him..
When Belview and Sosoliso Crashed... OBJ was not accused..
My Condolence...........

Politics.. Playing Politics with reality, will not make us Grow as a NATION..

You are the one playing ethnic politics
When Sosoliso and Bellview crashed in succession, the heat was turned on Obasanjo
It got so much that he hurriedly a public hearing on the matter
I remember that Marwa (of Al Barka) confessing at the forum that they cut corners
A man who accused Obasanjo of insincerity got Obj so angry that SSS arrested the man after the even

Stop defending Jonathan blindly
He is a Nigerian president
Unlike other countries, Nigerians are used to criticising their presidents
Jonathan and his supporters have to get used to it
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Ugosample(m): 1:45am On Jun 07, 2012
Ibime: The Assembly will ask GEJ to share N20 bln to pass this bill, and knowing how many times GEJ has performed a volt-face (no going back on subsidy etc), he might not want to be caught with his pants down again. That would leave us with the ridiculous scenario of GEJ sharing money to the Assembly for an unnecessary bill that everyone protested against, just so GEJ can save face.
Can you imagine that? Waste of money. The senators gotta earn our respect by trashing that letter. There are more important things to debate about instead of name change.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by miscoe(m): 2:36am On Jun 07, 2012
sometimes i wonder why the government as an institution was created,if not for the people.
Mr. President,with due respect i see no reason why you should take the matter to court knowing fully well that you're a representative of the people who elected you in..
To Beaf,why do you think the government is established if not for the people.And as such you a leader and not a ruler you should atleast listen to the voice of your people.
To me going to court won't command the president respect,but his ability to revert his decision would do him good..This is my advice to the presidency.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by iykak47: 4:26am On Jun 07, 2012
Those who think the name Maulag would not stand should give a reason why the national assembly which is controlled by pdp won't pass the bill, this is not the type of bill that brings friction between the executive and the legislature.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by vodkat: 4:59am On Jun 07, 2012
Abeg make them change one university to Fela Anikulapo Kuti University (FAKU) since na wetin dey reign. GEJ = no brake no jam no sense
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by RuuDie(m): 5:55am On Jun 07, 2012
Bontee:

That is just the way it is and i don't know why people are pretending like they are not aware of it, its a waste of time in the Nigerian setting to be debating how to change the name of a university that belongs to the government. Just do the consultation behind the scenes, announce the changes and if there is any opposition ( guess this is the first one in this new democracy ) then get the senate to approve it simple.

By far the one individual laying it all out succintly. . .as far as anybody is concerned, filing at the senate is more or less a mere formality - the name change is as good as a done deal. One very important question is; has there been any visible aggressive opposition from any of the tiers of the National Assembly since the announcement was made public!?
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by comradefery: 6:23am On Jun 07, 2012
The President is just an unlucky chap, if not, look at this University of Agriculture Umudike that he wants to change to Michael Okpara University, Umudike was long renamed by Obasanjo without approaching the law that established it, yet no one said any thing, it's just now that GEJ wants to legalize the rename. Like i argued earlier, GEJ made a big mistake by not approaching the National Assembly before renaming UNILAG, but i support the rename hundred percent!
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by bknight: 6:54am On Jun 07, 2012
If this wasn't an internet forum, one young man here wld have been lynched.

Jonathan's aim is to rename Unilag. The other two universities on d list is to neutral Unilag's protests to d renaming.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by miscoe(m): 8:04am On Jun 07, 2012
i can't believe Mr. President could fight his own people,instead of finding ways to liais with the aggrieved parties.He should do the people's will,instead of going to court to formalise his obvious mistake.Like i say reverting his mistake is the best thing he could do,to restore his long gone prestige..We would respect him forever for that!
To those that believe this deal is done,i advise you all to have a rethink because we the entire students are not going back too!Ever wondered why he took the case to court afterwords,he ealier announced that he's not going back!Unilag is a great citadel of learning,where we all know our left from right.He should have had a deep thinking before giving us that shit!
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by ypzilanti: 8:36am On Jun 07, 2012
Im signing off this post, jare.

Everyday I come online to find that paid internet propogandist called beaf spewing rubbish on Nairaland.

I can see him running with his tail between his legs now...

Let me advise you on how to do your job because your paymasters are not going to be impressed with the abuses and curses being rained on you and Jonathan everyday on Nairaland.

Go take some pictures of your President's achievements and post them online. Not the ones they tell us they are going to do,oh! The ones they have done already...

Its been two years now...a picture is worth a thousand words.

Supporters of Fashola, Akpabio, Chime and co will send you 100 pictures right now if so challenged.

Please send us the pictures or forever hold your peace. Thank you.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Ugosample(m): 9:04am On Jun 07, 2012
The National assembly should throw that bill out. That is a complete waste of time.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Ninilowo(m): 9:51am On Jun 07, 2012
Chart before the horse. MAAAAAAADNEEEEESSSSSSSSSS
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by RuuDie(m): 11:11am On Jun 07, 2012
Now that the Presidency is following 'due process' - what next for the opposition to the name change!!!?
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Akainzo(m): 11:20am On Jun 07, 2012
Wallie:

Close but not totally correct.

The Senate and House of Reps can override a presidential veto if they can muster two-thirds of the votes in each of the chambers against the veto. However, in the current political climate, it will be almost impossible to get the votes needed in the Senate because of the Senate being controlled by PDP. The House might get the needed votes but the House alone cannot override a presidential veto.

This is one of the check and balances built into the constitution – supermajority (two-thirds majority).

Executive + two-thirds of Senate or House = whatever they want OR
two-thirds of Senate AND two-thirds of House = whatever they want

In the end, the name change will probably stand if the President wants.

You are quite mistaken and very much WRONG!
The Presidential veto only comes into play when the President DISAGREES WITH A BILL PASSED BY THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY!!! - The President cannot veto a bill that is NOT passed by the NA, neither can he force a law to be if the NA assembly does not pass such a law.

The correct use for a VETO and an override is as below:
i. The NA passes a bill and sends to the President for assent.
ii. The President disagrees and thus vetoes the bill by NOT SIGNING it.
iii. If the NA agrees, then the bill is dead.
iv. If the NA feels strongly about the bill, then a joint sitting of both House of the NA is convened AFTER 90 days, a two-thirds majority of the members can now overturn the President's veto by passing the bill into law.

Please read the constitution or get people to explain it to you before you post such stuff as above of a President vetoing a law into existence. sad sad
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Akainzo(m): 11:24am On Jun 07, 2012
comradefery: The President is just an unlucky chap, if not, look at this University of Agriculture Umudike that he wants to change to Michael Okpara University, Umudike was long renamed by Obasanjo without approaching the law that established it, yet no one said any thing, it's just now that GEJ wants to legalize the rename. Like i argued earlier, GEJ made a big mistake by not approaching the National Assembly before renaming UNILAG, but i support the rename hundred percent!

Not all the universities in Nigeria were setup by an act of the National Assembly or regional assembly. Therefore one does not need to send a bill to the Assembly when the school was not setup by an act. W

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigeria’s Daily Fuel Subsidy Falls To N889.44m / Orubebe's Lawyer Lambasts CCT Chairman For Giving Preference To Saraki's Case / Burial Parade For DSP Mayowa Ojerinde At Iyana Ipaja, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.