Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,294 members, 7,839,444 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:19 PM

GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. (22658 Views)

Buhari Seeks Senate Approval To Borrow N2.10 Trn / Dogara Seeks Senate’s Approval For Removal Of IGP / Power Supply: GEJ Seeks 'Honest Feedback' From Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Akainzo(m): 11:26am On Jun 07, 2012
lacum: Most of d comments against d president here shows dat most of us dont know how govt operates. OBJ did smtin like dis in his regime, its not a bad approach he is d president and his going to d senate is just like a formality.

The same way it is a formality to pass the PIB abi? Or the annual budget? No wonder the NA is sleeping, when even the people that they represent thinks they are only there to rubber stamp the President's actions. SMH.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by honprof: 11:26am On Jun 07, 2012
Most of d comments against d president here shows dat most of us dont know how govt operates. OBJ did smtin like dis in his regime, its not a bad approach he is d president and his going to d senate is just like a formality.

.....................Straight to the point..
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Ugosample(m): 11:42am On Jun 07, 2012
This is the National Assembly's chance to prove themselves. This is the time to prove 2 Nigerians that they are no stooge to GEJ.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by pdozie: 12:38pm On Jun 07, 2012
My take is that the reason there is uproar wrt to renaming the university to MAULAG is, may be, because citizens are frustrated. Frustrated that they are not seeing the dividends of democracy promised by FG.
If not, what is there in the change of name? The substance and quality of the university is not changed.
GEJ announced the name change and everyone cries out saying he didnt follow the right process. GEJ now passes through the due process yet the outry continues. What else do we want?
As far as am concerned, announcing the name change was not out of order. If the ministry of education had begun implementation of the name change immediately then you can say GEJ didnt follow the process.
i think we should save our breath and focus on more weighty issues. If FG decides to rename the university to MAULAG so be it!!! It doesnt remove garri from your table or dies it?
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by miscoe(m): 1:14pm On Jun 07, 2012
@pdozie,ofcourse you're right.But let me quickly add these.It's high time we nigerians started seeing things differently from our usual ways..What's good in having a constitution and not following it?What's peculiar in education without application?Of what use is our poverty eradication programme if we can't match stretegic plans with reality?What Mr. president did didn't only speak evil of his personality but also the nation at large..We've got to improve on these!I'm really proud to be a student of Unilag-the change initiator!
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by jaybee(f): 1:16pm On Jun 07, 2012
KwoiZabo: How will students enter a contract with the Federal govt. through their universities while gaining admission that they will graduate with a particular name on their certificates and halfway the name is changed. This is a clear breach of contract that must be resisted.

That is the simplest thing to resolve; all those admitted prior to name change would graduate with certificates bearing the former name. thereafter, the new name may reflect in the new intakes.

but the case of UNILAG/MAULAG?? totally stands ALL logic on its head!!!
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by onthefence: 1:21pm On Jun 07, 2012
Akainzo:

Not all the universities in Nigeria were setup by an act of the National Assembly or regional assembly. Therefore one does not need to send a bill to the Assembly when the school was not setup by an act. W

Its only private universities that are not setup by law. State and Fed Universities have enabling laws setting them up. We are not yet in a jungle please.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by jaybee(f): 1:22pm On Jun 07, 2012
pdozie: My take is that the reason there is uproar wrt to renaming the university to MAULAG is, may be, because citizens are frustrated. Frustrated that they are not seeing the dividends of democracy promised by FG.
If not, what is there in the change of name? The substance and quality of the university is not changed.
GEJ announced the name change and everyone cries out saying he didnt follow the right process. GEJ now passes through the due process yet the outry continues. What else do we want?
As far as am concerned, announcing the name change was not out of order. If the ministry of education had begun implementation of the name change immediately then you can say GEJ didnt follow the process.
i think we should save our breath and focus on more weighty issues. If FG decides to rename the university to MAULAG so be it!!! It doesnt remove garri from your table or dies it?

this is the kind of simplistic reasoning that has brought nigeria to this comatose state. THE NAME CHANGE OF UNILAG is much more than what you may imagine. on just one point: what reason do anyone on earth give for destroying what was built in more than fifty years? whether it is a road, institution, brand, house, family, kingdom, etc without the buy-in of those affected?
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by cheikh: 2:01pm On Jun 07, 2012
texazzpete
Adamawa State is named after Adama. Why the heck does GEJ now feel he needs to rename the Yola University again?

@ GEJ has no sense of history nor is he a "thinker". Sincerely, he has demonstrated that he is small minded and idle but certainly not a fool wink. It is a shame that he is on course to waste the south south "opportunity" at the Presidency. Foolishness knows no bounds indeed.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Beaf: 2:11pm On Jun 07, 2012
Una still de here de hargue matter when don hend?
MAULAG pipo una go wound una sef wit vex o! grin
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by iykak47: 2:37pm On Jun 07, 2012
Beaf: Una still de here de hargue matter when don hend?
MAULAG pipo una go wound una sef wit vex o! grin
shockedshockedshockedshockedshockedshocked
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Orikinla(m): 2:58pm On Jun 07, 2012
Beaf:

It is evident that you come from a family of id!ots. A waste of DNA that can't even bother to read an article before venting idiocy with pride.
This is the full article (I don't expect an intellectual shrimp like you to get its full import though).

Swine.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=164467:jonathan-seeks-senate-approval-to-rename-unilag-2-others&catid=2:lead-stories&Itemid=8

It will do all namecalling fools like you a lot of good to take a look at this website and learn not to act or think like animals: http://mautech.edu.ng/

MAULAG is here to stay. Die if you like.
. He will not die. In fact it is MAULAG that will end up in the rubbish bin of history with every political mistake of President Goodluck Jonathan. He is not the one who paid for the students who applied to study at UNILAG and they did not apply to your MAULAG. And as long as God is God these students will graduate from the University of Lagos of their choice. And no corrupt and evil government will MAUL the fundamental human right of these students. Whatever political plans of President Goodluck Jonathan to MAUL the University of Lagos will not pass the test of the final judgment. Before the presidential election I said it would be your tragedy to vote for him, but you and your fellow ignorant i-d-i-ots and fools attacked my topics and commentaries, but what have you seen now? Nigeria was a better, healthier, safer and wealthier nation before the PDP rigged the elections to take over the political power. Do you know how many air disasters we had since 1999 to date? Do you know how many journalists and political leaders have been murdered? Do you know how many National Youth Service Corp members have been murdered? Do you know how many innocent people have been kidnapped, tortured, maimed and thousands murdered since 1999 to date? Do you know how much money the PDP governors and accomplices have stolen from public funds? Do you know the amount of billions misappropriated by the government of the ruling party since 1999 to date? Have you seen the reports of the CIA, Transparency International and Human Rights Watch on Nigeria? What was the worth of President Goodluck Jonathan before 1999 and his total assets now? The CIA and TI have the facts. Only i-d-i-ots and fools and evil people will defend and support the corrupt and evil administration of the ruling party in Nigeria. But how will it end? Did the Holy Bible not say there is no rest for the wicked? So how can they rest when the demons of their wickedness are on the prowl? May be you are among their next victims. Because, the Holy Bible said they will help to destroy themselves. And those shedding crocodile tears today were the same incompetent and corrupt people you voted for.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by yoji: 8:37pm On Jun 07, 2012
This president is just daft. The whole of adamawa state is name after d same person he now wants to name d university after. Does this president even reason??
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by folem: 11:12pm On Jun 07, 2012
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jun 09, 2012
yoji: This president is just daft. The whole of adamawa state is name after d same person he now wants to name d university after. Does this president even reason??

The president remains a daft! He is not even fit to rule a home. He is just too feeble minded and myopic to handle a country like Nigeria.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by FrankC3: 3:14pm On Jun 09, 2012
^^Don't you feel the contradiction in the statement like 'the president is daft'? And as many will say, this simple statement is actually the biggest mistake of President Jonathan's opponents. People who really believed that statement has paid and are still paying for their carelessness.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by miscoe(m): 4:34pm On Jun 09, 2012
it didn't come as a surprise to see people,who are still in support of Mr. President obvious political miscalculation;afterwords we're termed DEVELOPING NATION.Of what use is Education if you can't apply what's been learnt?If the students can't protect their right when violated,then it doesn't worth going to school at all.Oh God,help us from bad leaders!
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by jpphilips(m): 10:14am On Jun 15, 2012
JomoGbomo2: GEJ is obviously unaware of what he is doing. The clown has once again displayed his naiveness and ignorance when it comes to governance and rule of law. I just can't imagine what will happen in the next 3 yrs.

Personally I think this guy in unfit to be head of a family.

This is a Man whose Nation was grounded for one week in a protest championed by his ACN opponents just 6 months ago and now this? when will this man apply common sense?
beaf!! there is serious intellectual trouble in "ituoke"
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by comradefery: 10:43am On Jun 18, 2012
UNILAG RENAMING: PONDER FOR WE NATION OF BANDWAGON CULTURE
By Ferdinand Ekeoma.
The first time I learnt that the University of Lagos (UNILAG) has been renamed Moshood Abiola University of Lagos (MAULAG), I was overwhelmed, and instantly felt a sense of joy, justice and relief. Joy because the Abiola story had laid a burden of sorrow to many hearts , justice because the non-recognition of Abiola’s monumental impacts on a high scale represented an injustice of immense proportion, and Relief because the burden of guilt the Nigerian State carried as a result of it’s refusal to immortalize Abiola has to a certain extent been reduced.
As a small boy who just left primary school before the June 2012 volcano came knocking, I can’t claim to be a reservoir of in-depth knowledge of the tricks, intrigues and the jiggery pockery of the pre and post June 12 palaver, and even if I were, my mission here isn’t to point accusing fingers on who played what role in that democratic debacle, rather I desire to critically filter what I have heard, read, and seen on a screen of truth and take only the good that comes true. Simply put that, I want to humbly look at the man Abiola and the merit or otherwise of Goodluck Jonathan’s proclamation.
In a nutshell, the man, Moshood Kashimawo Olawole Abiola was a renowned Nigerian business man, politician and philanthropist of monumental reference. In a country sharply divided by religion, he contested with a fellow Muslim and won an election that was adjudged the most free and fair election ever conducted in Nigeria. His election was unjustifiably annulled, he was later arrested, incarcerated for years, and he later died in detention in a very questionable circumstance.
While alive, his philanthropy was felt in almost every nook and cranny of Nigeria. His impacts in the education sector were overwhelming, and till today remain unequalled. He didn’t only build hostels in many Nigerian Universities, both state and federal, but he is also credited to have built 63 Secondary schools, 41 Libraries, scholarships to thousands of students, and paid bursaries as well; a feet that many state governments have woefully failed to achieve today.
Now I breath in, I breath out, I pulse, and I ponder in sobriety, and rhetorically ask; does some one who achieved this magnificent feet deserve a recognition? My answer is in the affirmative. He doesn’t just deserve a recognition, but an extraordinary one for that matter.
Now the question that I bluntly confront myself with is; did my dear president Jonathan follow the supposed modus operandi for renaming the institution? My answer is no, and capital no. Though some legal experts have argued that the president has the powers to change the name of the school without necessarily revisiting the act of 1962, but my opinion is that, since UNILAG was established by an act of the national Assembly, the president should have gotten the approval of the National Assembly before the announcement of the name change, on that I find my president guilty of “Administrative Misadventure” , so who ever based his argument on non consultation of the law, I delete your name from my UNILAG-MAULAG palaver foes. But as I behold you activists, I said to my self; were the true man of justice and pillar of activism, Late chief Gani Fawehinmi to be alive, he would certainly have given his endorsement to this decision not minding the language of this 1962 act.
Now, I get into the rings, to give punches of facts and receive same from these latter day activists and anti MAULAG apostles.
Many of you have to my utmost disgust and disappointment attacked this decisions because of your alleged suspicion that it’s Jonathan’s political strategy to woo and win the support of the South West.
Let me quote from an article entitled, “Name change as a game changer” written by a columnist, Mr. Shola Oshunkeye in the sun of Sunday, June 3, 2012. He describe Abiola as a man of Valor and Honor, and praised Jonathan for his decision to honor Abiola, and condemned Obasanjo for refusing to honor him, and went ahead to add, “all these made me to give Jonathan thumbs up last Tuesday. But as the day wore on, and the import of the presidential proclamation sank, I began to fell some sense of indignation. First, I began to think that the president might have played a little politics with the decision. I figured that given the fact that the rulling Peoples Democratic Party, (PDP) has a shaky presence in the South west, coupled with the fact that 2015 may be tighter for the president, I felt he considered the renaming as a package to woo the region, especially Lagos voters”. I have seen many anti MAULAG demonstrators base their opposition on this same argument, and this makes me to shade tears for Nigeria. Some of the question I have asked my self is; what is wrong with a politician playing politics with issues or projects as far as his action/s are of no negative impacts on the people? why have people who hold this view refused to protest against the execution of projects in their areas? Why did these people who allege that the renaming is a political game refuse to protest against the building of power plants in their zones, which I consider better projects to woo a people, than renaming of a University. If these people arguing on this basis are so smart to detect advanced political game of vote winning, why can’t they be smart enough to keep this secrete to themselves and go to the polling boots to vote against Jonathan? If those in this category think that a decision like renaming a University after Abiola is a popularity seeking game, why have they not gone to court to restrain Jonathan and Federal government from executing projects so that he will not win the support of the people? Yes, PDP has disappointed Nigerians no doubt, but are we going to reject noble projects coming from PDP led government because we want to destroy PDP and wrestle power from them? Sincerely, if we chose this unnationalistic and unpatriotic path, we will definitely sink deeper into crisis and underdevelopment.
It seems my hearts is panting profusely, may be because I want to confront the keys issue, which is UNILAG. Many have argued that the president should have chosen another University, and not UNILAG. I think this is where the spirit of Abiola will doubt the sincerity and reliability of the Nigerian people. To these anti MAULAG, especially the students and ex students, their beloved UNILAG is a Brand, a Prestigious and a Golden University, too big, too famous, and too special to be named after Abiola; but for me, I see their position as exhibiting petty Ego, Arrogance, Disrespect ,and above all, Avoidable ignorance.
Here are the reasons for my position. Late Chief Obafemi Awolowo once said, “when ever I am doing any thing, I am always with my facts, people will accuse me, but cannot accuse my facts”, Once again, Abiola built hostel blocks in many Nigerian Universities before June 12,built 63 Secondary schools, 41 Libraries, thousands of scholarships and Bursaries etc, of course UNILAG was beneficiary. Also, this “Brand’ called UNILAG is not even listed among the best 500 universities in the world, and stands a distant 38 in Africa, therefore, the renaming of UNILAG to MAULAG does not even represent an honor to Abiola, but a commencement of a process to giving an honor to whom honor is due.
I stand to be corrected, I have never heard that University of Zaria, renamed Ahmadu Bello University Zaria, and University of Ife renamed Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife have dwindled in population and academics because they were renamed. UNILAG isn’t greater than, at least Obafemi Awolowo University, so what is our problem?. May be we are swiftly becoming a people sinking in violent addiction, and doing because others are.
Interestingly, some of the commentators have continued to make reference to foreign Universities, as if we are living in a dark age nation where we can neither communicate nor research. I am bothered a little, after all my Late Philosopher King, Dr. Chuba Okadigbo (The Oyi of Oyi) once told me that, “those who air their views without making reference to specific empirical data should rather be pitied than hated”.
New college which was later renamed Harvard University in United States, though existed for only three years before being renamed, but it was already renowned being one of the pioneer American universities. No doubt 780 pounds was a big money then, but it was only this single donation to the university by the young British clergy (John Harvard) that made the university to be named after him.
What about the prestigious University of Dakar Senegal, that was later renamed University Cheikh Anta Diop, in honour of a renowned Senegalese Historian and Anthropologist, Cheikh Anta Diop after more than thirty two years of its establishment? Have we also forgotten the famous University of science and Technology Ghana, renamed Kwame Nkrumah University of science and Technology a few years ago in honor of the foremost nationalist, Kwame Nkrumah? Interestingly, the above mentioned universities are rated far above University of Lagos; a doubting Thomas including the Braggadocios Brand masters of “UNILAG”can go and research. So why is UNILAG –Abiola a big issue?
Can you imagine some supposed patriots and one Nigeria advocates saying that naming UNILAG after Abiola will amount to ethnicizing the university. But if such people have chosen to ethnicize UNILAG, must they also recreate and redefine Abiola and his philosophy in death. Abiola was not a sectional hero as his philanthropy transcended ethnicity, neither is UNILAG a sectional university. But no qualms, because this UNILAG-MAULAG palaver has shown that most of these preachers of One Nigeria, are actually Pretenders of One Nigeria, for daring to raise such an issue.
To insult our sensibilities the more (apology to Obasanjo), these same characters insinuated that Abiola’s impacts were only in the area of sports. This is dangerously disgusting, and clearly amounts to dishonest distortion of available facts of history. But even if it were so, does the President not have the powers to honor him where ever he wishes and chooses?
Abiola must have learnt from George Washington who said “our effort as a nation, can never be swifter than our effort in education”, and also from John Major who said, “Education is the greatest elixir for modern development, and life without education, is life lived in ignorance”, hence his, Abiola’s decision to invest in the most appropriate place and save a lot of souls from ignorance, it doesn’t matter if the ignorants appreciate.
To M.K.O, I say, do accept this MAULAG token from the federal government, and see it as a sign of repentance by the Nigerian state, as well as an audacious move to rewrite a chequered history. To anti MAULAG opponents, I urge you to enjoy your freedom to protest, the protest made possible by Democracy, and Democray propelled by the Pressure from Abiola’s death. I enjoy your rivalry, but I have decided to divide you into five groups to enable me report you to Abiola, and your groups are as follows;
1. The Grammar Blowing Activists 2.The Rule of Law Apostles, 3. The UNILAG Brand Braggarts 4.The 2015 DO-or-DIE Mongers, and the 5.Beer-Drinking We No Go Gree Protesters/Students.
As you try to find out where you belong, I urge you to forgive my short comings and realize that I have made my argument based on the limit of my knowledge, the passion in my heart, and the imperfection of my wisdom, so as those of you anti MAULAG fighters throw your punches of aggression, please do avoid my eyes, after all, I am just your innocent brother and comrade who still desires to visit MAULAG and behold Abiola’s statue of honor waving at the Happy and the Disillusioned, but till then, I will continue to ponder how we have suddenly become a nation of bandwagon culture!.( Ndewo nu umu Obodo Naijiria)
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Nobody: 10:50am On Jun 18, 2012
^ what is this one saying? You definitely have limited knowledge.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by comradefery: 11:09am On Jun 18, 2012
[quote author=BoboYekini]^ what is this one saying? You definitely have limited knowledge.[/ Thanks a million for that credit in disguise......but your limitless knowledge has made it possible for you to walk from the path of Ignorance and Emptiness!
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Oyedey4u(m): 10:48am On Jun 19, 2012
This man, jp philips has posted something insightful. i think pundits should see it from the point of view of honour and hide in their mind the attempt to woo the south-west to vote for him. Let's give him this and watch his move with outright caution as we will not protest against projects been executed in our areas. For me i keep praying for THE PRESIDENT. as the leader is so is the followers. if you claim he doesn't follow rule of law, when last did you stop throwing you pure water sachet and viju bottle on the road. It takes only the lousiest fools to become president of fools. so why not stop Cursing him when you and your fathers voted for him. YOU have not cursed, he is not doing fine, what of now that you are cursing, that means expect no good thing for the next 3 years. Forgive my sermon if you are hurt

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Atiku Presidential Campaign BillBoard In Abuja (PHOTO) / Ex-Kano Deputy Governor, Other Top Kwankwaso Loyalists Rejoin APC / Governor Obaseki Picks Trash As He Joins Edo Youths To Cleanup The State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.