Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,312 members, 7,819,061 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:46 AM

Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! (7421 Views)

MKO Abiola International Airport Will Be Ready Next Year- Osun Government / Mubashiru Abiola Is Dead (MKO Abiola's Younger Brother) / Buhari Set Implement Dress Code For Journalists Covering Villa- NigerianTimes.ng (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by naptu2: 12:08pm On Jun 13, 2012
All these arguments reinforce what I wrote up there. We keep having these debates (Did Abiola sink a bible-laden ship? Did Abiola steal godknowswhat from godknows who? Did Abiola say he didn't need Igbo votes? Did Abiola sponsor Babangida's coup? Was Abiola a national/regional leader, etc?) Because we have not examined his life. In most cases, people are relying on rumours, sentiments, etc.

I wonder, how many people typing here have ever watched Abiola's speeches and how many can remember a specific speech?

Abiola, just like anybody else, had his good and bad sides, I believe it's time we examined them and learnt from them (based on facts, video & audio tapes, books, etc).

1 Like

Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by brainpulse: 12:13pm On Jun 13, 2012
If martin lurther king had done what he did in american to nigeria, nigerians would have spat on his grave. all our national heros can't look back and beat their chest in happiness for the people they died for irrespective how little the contribution was. our senses have being corroded with tribalistic and religious sentiments. The man that was voted for by the north, south,east and west for the first time in nigerian history and decided not to sell his mandate up till the point of death worth the best honour in the land(the eastern brothers have quickly come out to dissaprove his mandate). I am not surprised when the same GEJ gave corrupt officials national honours for nothing, will the same man honour or recognise a true hero?No. Dont let us play politics, tribalism with our future.

2 Likes

Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by christ4kay: 12:14pm On Jun 13, 2012
TJaguda or Jagaban whichever is ur Oriki! When what is left in your head is those colonial politics what's sectional about renaming Unilag after MKO when all your plans are becoming godfather of south-west is Lagos not part of Nigeria. Pls answer all the questions where did you hide during the June 12 Struggles, aftrall you all betrayed the MKo. Enough is enough stop using Mko name to enrich yourself or his blood will exposed and disgrace you. Jaguda be warned!!!!
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by brainpulse: 12:18pm On Jun 13, 2012
naptu2: All these arguments reinforce what I wrote up there. We keep having these debates (Did Abiola sink a bible-laden ship? Did Abiola steal godknowswhat from godknows who? Did Abiola say he didn't need Igbo votes? Did Abiola sponsor Babangida's coup? Was Abiola a national/regional leader, etc?) Because we have not examined his life. In most cases, people are relying on rumours, sentiments, etc.

I wonder, how many people typing here have ever watched Abiola's speeches and how many can remember a specific speech?

Abiola, just like anybody else, had his good and bad sides, I believe it's time we examined them and learnt from them (based on facts, video & audio tapes, books, etc).

Nobody is born saint we all have our dark sides and good times. But remember this was the first time Nigerians were called nigerians , when demostrators in the far north, east, west and south came all out to fight and face the mouth of the bullet irrespective of their religious affiliations or our history books being sunk by the boat of corruption and greed or are all our elders dead. I believe some of us were not kids during the june 12 era.
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by Afam4eva(m): 12:20pm On Jun 13, 2012
brainpulse:

Nobody is born saint we all have our dark sides and good times. But remember this was the first time Nigerians were called nigerians , when demostrators in the far north, east, west and south came all out to fight and face the mouth of the bullet irrespective of their religious affiliations or our history books being sunk by the boat of corruption and greed or are all our elders dead. I believe some of us were not kids during the june 12 era.
So, what were Nigerian called prior to june 12? Rwandans? Btw, there were no demonstrations in the east. The june 12 demonstrations was similar to the fuel subsidy demonstration that was mainly a Lagos and a south-west affair.
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by naptu2: 12:22pm On Jun 13, 2012
brainpulse:

+1000
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by brainpulse: 12:26pm On Jun 13, 2012
When we appreciate and honour our true heroes, every nigerian will want to do more that will benefit his fellow nigeria brother. We always quick to talk how an american will want to die for his brother and nation because they believe in honour more than the wealth they gathered. But nigeria has always gone to the other side of every good and moral thing.
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by brainpulse: 12:29pm On Jun 13, 2012
afam4eva:
So, what were Nigerian called prior to june 12? Rwandans? Btw, there were no demonstrations in the east. The june 12 demonstrations was similar to the fuel subsidy demonstration that was mainly a Lagos and a south-west affair.

You can be called a name and never live by the name for a single day. I am hearing this for the first tome after several years"there were no demonstrations in the east". You can check the internet for the released june 12 election result.[b][/b]
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by naptu2: 12:34pm On Jun 13, 2012
Demonstrations in the east stopped after, while responding to government propaganda, some yoruba politicians claimed that Nigeria was against the yoruba race. Prior to this claim, the struggle was nationwide (even in the north).

1 Like

Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by naptu2: 12:35pm On Jun 13, 2012
Former South African President, Dr. Nelson Mandela, on Saturday night in
Abuja dedicated his Pan African Broadcast Heritage Award (PABHA) to the memory of the acclaimed winner of the annulled June 12, 1993 Presidential
election Chief M.K.O. Abiola, whom he described as a great Nigerian.

Mandela, who was represented by the South African President, Mr. Thabo
Mbeki, currently on a visit to Nigeria, described how he first came into
contact with the Abiola.

He said President Ibrahim Babangida sent Abiola to mediate and talk to
Mandela to reconcile with a sworn enemy of the African National Congress
(ANC), who then was working against the interest of the party's success
at the poll.

Mbeki did not name the "sworn enemy" of the ANC, but said the late
politician had since become their friend. He said when Abiola arrived,
he (Mbeki) tried to get the message from Babangida, but refused,
insisting that he must deliver the message to Mandela personally. Mbeki
said he then took Abiola to Mandela to personally deliver Babangida's
message.

Mbeki said Abiola later told a story of the black ant to describe how
dangerous the "sworn enemy" was to the ANC.

He said though the black ant was small, it could wreak much havoc if it
had access to one's clothing. He quoted Abiola as saying that it was easier to take care of the black ant than to allow it to wreak havoc.

The South African President explained that the message from Abiola made
the ANC reconcile with the "sworn enemy".

"the bigger the head, the bigger the headache" - Chief MKO Abiola.

"you cannot shave a head in the absence of its owner and any such attempt is an exercise in futility". Chief MKO Abiola

"power is like a tiger, if you ride a tiger, you must be very careful when you get down, otherwise you find yourself inside the tiger's belly". Chief MKO Abiola

"Anyone afraid of death cannot claim his father's title and once you have claimed your father's title, you have become the object of envy of all the members of the family, many of who will pray for your early demise to provide a vacancy for them". Chief MKO Abiola

Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by Afam4eva(m): 12:35pm On Jun 13, 2012
I'll like to see an evidence that there were protests in the east.
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by naptu2: 12:42pm On Jun 13, 2012
Broad-based Movement

The military has tried to portray the pro-democracy forces as simply ethnic compatriots and supporters of Abiola from the Yoruba-speaking southwest. But the campaign is in fact much wider, and includes Nigerians of all ethnic groups and religions. Most stress that their priority is support for the democratic process as such, not the political candidacy of one man.

The campaign thus includes not only political supporters of Chief Abiola, but also a range of human rights groups which have long been active in demanding electoral democracy and respect for civil rights. Although Abiola is a Muslim, both Catholic and Protestant church groups have made strong statements calling for the results of the June 1993 elections to be honored.

National organizations representing Nigeria's doctors, university teachers and staff, and students have all actively campaigned for the release of political prisoners and recognition of the election results.

Political opponents of the regime, including many elected officials whom the military had dismissed from their posts, came together in May this year in the National Democratic Coalition. The Campaign for Democracy, which spearheaded the demonstrations leading to Babangidas resignation last year, is the largest coalition of independent pro-democracy groups.

Dozens of smaller groups operate both inside Nigeria and among the large Nigerian expatriate population in the United States and Europe. While there are many organizational and political differences among them, there is virtually universal agreement on the demands that the military step down and that the election results be recognized.

On July 4, 1994, the National Union of Petroleum and Gas Workers (NUPENG) went out on strike, including among their key demands a hand-over of government to the civilian winner of the June 1993 election. Oil accounts for over 80% of Nigeria's export earnings, and the strike was extremely effective for two months. NUPENG's white-collar counterpart, the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association, joined the strike, along with a number of unions associated with the national Nigerian Labor Congress.

The military eventually broke the strike, arresting key officials such as Frank Kokori, NUPENG's general secretary, and suspending the leadership of the two oil unions and the Nigerian Labor Congress. Most workers returned to their jobs, but discontent remains high.

In September government harassment of the press reached new levels when three leading newspapers, the Guardian, the Concord, and the Punch, were banned for six months, leaving over 1,500 media workers unemployed. All three had published critical news and opinion, and had been closed down on earlier occasions. But the new degree even mandated sealing of the premises, making it impossible to continue even minimal operations.

http://www.africa.upenn.edu/Govern_Political/nigra_dem.html
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by Afam4eva(m): 12:44pm On Jun 13, 2012
There's no where in that news article that says that protests took place in the east.
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by redsun(m): 12:45pm On Jun 13, 2012
There was no protest in the east.Easterners only left lagos enmass because of the chaos of the area boys,headed by tinubu.If we must have a nigeria with future and reasoning,men like abiola can not be called heroes.

It is like saying obj is a patriot because he won two rogue elections.Some animals may even want to immortalize if he manage to escape the wraths of true nigerians.
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by Akanbiedu(m): 12:59pm On Jun 13, 2012
@naptu2

I think you need to open a thread about Abiola to enlighten those of us who are interested.
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by FILEBE(m): 1:03pm On Jun 13, 2012
To obtain the 50;000 signatures required by the Nat. Assembly; pls sign in on unilagalumniassociation@yahoo.co.uk immediately. encourage others to do so
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by Mrchippychappy(m): 1:15pm On Jun 13, 2012

MKO has already been immortalized . You just have to go to the zoo to see for yourself!!!!
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by naptu2: 1:20pm On Jun 13, 2012
Akanbi_edu: @naptu2

I think you need to open a thread about Abiola to enlighten those of us who are interested.

The unfortunate thing, which I've been emphasising on this thread, is that we don't keep records (I'm also guilty. Last year, while moving house, I threw away my large newspaper collection). Much of what I type here is from memories of interviewing people, newspapers, documentaries, etc, but I do not have the hard copies!

It's almost impossible to find a 1995 edition of punch,mm newswatch, new nigerian, tell, etc online.
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by Pukkah: 1:21pm On Jun 13, 2012
landu:

All this issue of national figure or no national figure is not much of a concern to me.....is renaming MKO bring back the life of the wasted man or the mandate? There are a lot of other national issues that should be tackled....poverty,unemployment,insecurity etc however,in my opinion renaming Unilag MAU is the least of achievement of GEJ after 365days

I agree that the development physical infrastructure (roads, power, etc) is critical but we should also not forget that soft issues should also be dealt with. Those who have contributed to nation-building or democracy should be recognized. It is an issue that affects how others coming behind may respond to national assignments.
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by BabaOlowo: 1:24pm On Jun 13, 2012
jmoore: Moshood Abiola Polytechnic
Moshood Abiola University

and now Moshood Abiola Stadium?

These actions by politicians like Tinubu and co are very foolish.

Is the "defunct UNILAG" not a federal institution?

defunct WHAT? UNILAG 4 ever!!!
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by redsun(m): 1:28pm On Jun 13, 2012
Fela will be turning in his grave to hear that in the 21st century,a thief like abiola is being named after a suppose renowed citadel of learning
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by redsun(m): 1:30pm On Jun 13, 2012
shocked
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by Turbocharged: 1:31pm On Jun 13, 2012
GEJ should name Agboju Market after MKO and rename MAULAG after Asiwaju. At least all this noise will subside.
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by brainpulse: 1:40pm On Jun 13, 2012
Mr.chippychappy:

MKO has already been immortalized . You just have to go to the zoo to see for yourself!!!!

Can someone post this of your father, if you really respect elders?
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by redsun(m): 2:02pm On Jun 13, 2012
Shewere,abi na shotun self? Do u guys ever listen to the living legend, Femi at all? Or is it when he is gone,u will be wishing u had listen a little bit attentively?
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by redsun(m): 2:30pm On Jun 13, 2012
Abiola was like dem otedola of today. Those that capitalze on the rogue system to enmass blood wealth. There is nothing patriotic or enterprising abott them. They are opportunistic traitors that will some day face the wraths of a rational and accountable nigeria.
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by tribalism(m): 4:02pm On Jun 13, 2012
for God sake, what is TINIBU turning himself to. must it be in ABUJA to represent a national honour. lagos is still more popular than ABUJA in my opinion. i think TINIBU should concern himself with issues that has national undertone.
@jude33084
senate resolutions are not binding on the presidency or FG if you like.
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by chocome: 4:10pm On Jun 13, 2012
jude33084:

Ready as in WAR or dialogue? grin
it was announce in delta radio station that CAN will retailate the boko haram with locally made bomb such like the onces use in biafran war
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by tribalism(m): 4:38pm On Jun 13, 2012
@naptu2
today i found reason why i joined nairaland. you're rare!
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by tribalism(m): 5:11pm On Jun 13, 2012
BabaOlowo:

defunct WHAT? UNILAG 4 ever!!!
e de pain you oo gaga. na ABIOLA bi de problem or GEJ or the defunct UNILAG. e de pain you oo gaga.
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by Nobody: 8:23pm On Jun 13, 2012
Pukkah:

Do you care to tell me what he actually was and how to determine what is enough for him? In replying, try to consider the effect of your suggestion/comment on aspiring philanthropists and those fighting for the entrenchment of positive change or a more robust democracy in this part of the world.

MKO was no saint but he left an indelible mark in his last few years on earth. You can't take that away from him. I'd say that he was 'lucky' to have been instrumental to the democracy we all have today; so give him the credit. Simple. It could have gone in another way but an indisputable fact is that he got a pan-Nigerian mandate to rule and he died fighting for the actualization.
there is a politechnic named after abiola,a stadium named after abiola,a university named after abiola ,and people are still complaining,perhaps the only solution to this abiola wahala is to rename nigeria after abiola as someone suggested earlier.
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by motobid(m): 9:06pm On Jun 13, 2012
RENAME ABUJA STADIUM AFTER RASHIDI YEKINI NOT ABIOLA. THE FG HAS DONE THE BEST FOR HIM.
LET TINUBU RENAME HIMSELF AFTER ABIOLA.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 / Kogi Governor, Yahaya Bello Pardons 31 Inmates / Court Frees Gbenga Daniel, Says Efcc Did Not Follow Due Process.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.