Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,827 members, 7,844,681 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 05:38 AM

Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? (5423 Views)

Umar Yakubu-Barde Recommends Amputation & Hanging For Corrupt Officials / Buhari May Consider Amnesty For Corrupt Politicians – Fayemi / Jonathan Seeks Stiffer Penalties For Corrupt Officials (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? by Wallie(m): 2:03pm On Jun 14, 2012
Will never happen under the current democratic setting!

You want political leaders to put a law in place that gets them a death sentence if they're found guilty of corruption? That's almost like asking them to sign their own death warrant!

For it to happen, you will need a new breed of politicians that are not corrupt and that’s unlikely to happen because the current political leaders will use everything at their disposal to ensure that they appoint their own corrupt successor.
Re: Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? by ebamma(m): 2:04pm On Jun 14, 2012
paying and taking of bribe is also corruption,are u sure that u have not done any of this before,if u haven't then we can approve the death penalty,if u have then we should use u to begin the death penalty
Re: Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? by KMOS: 2:09pm On Jun 14, 2012
I thought Gen Buhari said same and you all said he is blood thirsty vampire so what the f$$$k are you saying nairalanders bullshit
Re: Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? by BlueMurder(m): 2:18pm On Jun 14, 2012
kaysy:

This should be signed into law with immediate effect!
Senate what are you guys doing

i also thing the house or rep should be scraped... dnt u think so?

Well, that's a topic for another day. But i affirm that as far as Nigeria is concerned, we are yet to see the benefits (if any) of the bi-cameral legislature. It is unwieldy and a drain on our traumatised treasury.
Re: Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? by proffmanue(m): 2:29pm On Jun 14, 2012
let see what will happen if capital punishment is the reward for corruption.
but i think it will work... Gun dem all
Re: Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? by deandavid(m): 3:33pm On Jun 14, 2012
bisiaet: Please please guys stop all these death penalty of a thing all we want is collect the all the loots back from them and put them in jail that is all enough blood has be shed in this country we dont want more blood.

If death is now the way out how many politician will remain in Nigeria, how many Judge will remain, how many former head of state will remain, how many police will remain and how many govt official will remain, corruption has eaten up the flesh of Nigerians and its every where so if all these people are killed remember that they are human like you and parent to so many kids. Cutting the head is never a solution to headache.

I hate corruption with passion but killing is not solution to it because thousands if not millions of Nigerians are guilty of it. Let them vomit all they stole and jail them as punishment rather than insunuating more orphanage around every corner of the country, what sense is in this?
what do u mean how many politician or judge, the thing is if the law is enacted, people will stop the act, for fear of being killed. How u dy reason pass.
Re: Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? by deandavid(m): 3:38pm On Jun 14, 2012
ebamma: paying and taking of bribe is also corruption,are u sure that u have not done any of this before,if u haven't then we can approve the death penalty,if u have then we should use u to begin the death penalty
even if he has carried out any act of corruption, he wasn't caught, and moreover we are talking about public office holders. Shai...even nlers are corrupt in their thinking, and u guys seems to be enjoying the show. Shame on u.
Re: Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? by Beaf1: 3:46pm On Jun 14, 2012
WHO IS GOING TO PRESCRIBE THE DEATH PENALTY?

Have you not been reading news lately?

People that are supposedly in a position to make laws and punish offenders are the ones making headlines today on corruption.

All the arms - executive, legislative and judiciary are all corrupt. Will they prescribe death penalty for themselves?
Re: Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? by Reference(m): 3:52pm On Jun 14, 2012
vicoloni: No, cos all Nigerians will die!

Oh la la.
Re: Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? by Reference(m): 3:55pm On Jun 14, 2012
ellipizle: the problem is who will implement the death penalty, is it the criminals themselve.

Perhaps. When we can decide whether the chicken or the egg comes first.
Re: Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? by Onliie(m): 4:12pm On Jun 14, 2012
Population of Nigeria will reduce to 2 million.
Re: Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? by delgroveng(m): 4:15pm On Jun 14, 2012
ellipizle: the problem is who will implement the death penalty, is it the criminals themselve.
If the senate and house of assembly presumed to represent us are the main culprits, who then are we hoping to put words into actions. We need to start thinking for our future generations,a movement of organized strike force to effect justice. To be financed by well meaning members of diaspora and Nigerians frustrated,hopeless but still hoping to hope (short term strategy).
They never seem to have any guilt, morality or shame. Narrow minded set of leaders without any thought for self image,who roam the world with money but hardly command any respect.
Re: Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? by Novice1(m): 4:26pm On Jun 14, 2012
Ijebulogic: Only God has the right to give or take life. Ans lets be honest, corruption is so endemic that the executioners will be very busy my dear friend. What will work however is the following: The worst thing you can do to a man who craves riches and relevance is to make him poor and irrelevant. Corrupt officials should get 21 years imprisonment and given public manual labour assignments so school children and tourists can come and watch former ministers and governors wearing LAWMA outfits and sweeping the streets. Sometimes death is to "easy" a punishment when compared to 21 years of public ridicule. Having said all the above, I still do not understand why for example, Bernie Madoff has been sentenced to life imprisonment while our corrupt bankers here plea bargained and are still flying 1st class and living a life of luxury? The system is beyond repair!

Most reasonable logic.
Death penalty is too lenient for people like, say, the bank thieves that have ruined investors' and despositors' lives; or the so called elders that fuel violence to serve their sinister agendas.
Re: Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? by bisiaet: 5:00pm On Jun 14, 2012
@ Deandavid
Qoute"what do u mean how many politician or judge, the thing is if the law is enacted, people will stop the act, for fear of being killed. How u dy reason pass".

And what you have just said made you reason well isnit So who enact the Law You or who And if the law is pass will it be back dated? And if not backdated what about the Billion that are gone and they are still enjoying it till date on whose account those loot will be documented ? And if the law is back dated does that make sense in any civil society or in democratic process to back date New Law? Bros reason with your brain and not through your anus. The issue on ground is a complex one it wont work just like that. All we want let them vomit the loot and pay the penalty by jailing them biko and stop asking for impossibility.
Re: Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? by sirp2007: 5:25pm On Jun 14, 2012
NO..
We have enough law to punish these corrupt thieves but investigation & prosecution is weak.
if only 10% of corrupt officers re sentenced according 2 existing law,corruption will reduce drastically.
corruption still thrive because these guys re nt well prosecuted.Even if death sentence bcomes d punishment without good prosecution hw can they be found guilty?
Again if u kill these thieves,d loot may not be recovered.
l will want speedy nd intelligent prosecution.
d guilty ones should be jailed minimum 21yrs.
every of his/her property(including that of family members)confisticated
when he/she finish serving jail term,such person must not own anything again whatever he possess after then automatically bcomes govt property.
Re: Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? by 1025: 6:16pm On Jun 14, 2012
a sports official who took bribe was day before yesterday sentenced to 10 years imprisonment. but a woman who stole a bank dry here was sentenced to 3 months in the hospital.
who will make the law of death sentence? we have a set of rulers who are all corrupt. from the president to the last politician is corrupt. unless nigerians will wake up one morning and say enough is enough and declare these public criminals our enemies worthy to die by any possible means.
we need to kill these idiots by any possible means instead they are using boko haram to kill us.
the more we keep silent, the more they come after us.
let us stand up against these set of rulers and kill them at sight. they are our enemies.
Re: Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? by fatadis: 6:55pm On Jun 14, 2012
Ijebulogic: Only God has the right to give or take life. Ans lets be honest, corruption is so endemic that the executioners will be very busy my dear friend. What will work however is the following: The worst thing you can do to a man who craves riches and relevance is to make him poor and irrelevant. Corrupt officials should get 21 years imprisonment and given public manual labour assignments so school children and tourists can come and watch former ministers and governors wearing LAWMA outfits and sweeping the streets. Sometimes death is to "easy" a punishment when compared to 21 years of public ridicule. Having said all the above, I still do not understand why for example, Bernie Madoff has been sentenced to life imprisonment while our corrupt bankers here plea bargained and are still flying 1st class and living a life of luxury? The system is beyond repair!

U are very correct but I still believe Capital Punishment should still part of it, depending on the gravity of the corruption.
Re: Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? by Eziachi: 7:29pm On Jun 14, 2012
The fight in my opinion starts from the presidency. Jonathan has to send such a law to the both legislative houses and use every avenue to blackmail them to pass the law with two months, even if it worth him sitting in the public gallery everyday day until the law is passed. Once the law is signed, a clause in the law which will stipulate for a 90 days of amnesty for past corrupt practices shall set it.

And the clause shall stipulate that every public or private person living shall within 90 days return what it has stolen from the masses and that record shall be wiped clean with immediate effect. The after 90 days, the death penalty law shall kick start.

But with Nigerian and its structure and its rulers, this isjust a fantasy. Someone like Jonathan can't try such a thing, because not only he is doing his best to become one of the most corrupt rulers of Nigeria but the fact that he doesn't have the liver, heart, will, personality and is surrounded by vultures of all sizes and shapes and colours.

But if you are to believe humans, the only person I trust today to attempt it is Mr Buhari and the Nigeria political/corrupt establishment knew this fact. That why they are afraid of him and much of his opponent are his own people who knew what they had done for the past 40 years unchecked. That is why the aforementioned establishment are painting him all sort to stick on the guy but the funny thing is: Those here writing all sorts against corruption are the same folks buying into the blackmail/propaganda from the corrupt mafia in government against Buhari.

How many times had I said it, Nigerian are their worst enemies and they loved to love their real enemies.

2 Likes

Re: Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? by omenka(m): 7:34pm On Jun 14, 2012
angryI don't think just killing those mofos would sufice. I think after they are shot, their family should be made to pay for the bullets used to kill them cos the state can't afford to waste even d slightest resource on such virmins! angry[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? by tunapawizzy: 7:48pm On Jun 14, 2012
All of u that think death for corrupt officers is too harsh..dats becos u do not know how dese people steal ur money and how they spend it. Maybe u need to live in abuja for just 1month to know the depth of what dese people av done to our commonwealth. I think death for corrupt officials or 21yrs non-negotiable, no plea bargain...dt would be very ideal...d demons in abuja are more dan d ones in hell. Where someone will drive past a man that needs 1m for operation to survive to go and pay 200m naira to buy probably his 3rd/4th apartment. Devil is right in our midst if u don't know come to abuja, u will know wasap. Then u will know dat Death by hanging or buring alive is what dese demons deserve

1 Like

Re: Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? by Eziachi: 8:56pm On Jun 14, 2012
omenka: angryI don't think just killing those mofos would sufice. I think after they are shot, their family should be made to pay for the bullets used to kill them cos the state can't afford to waste even d slightest resource on such virmins! angry[color=#990000][/color]
Funny you said this which sounds unrealistic now, but actually its what happens in the 80s in Imo when a certain commissioner of police/commandant of 32 artillery brigade Obinze near Oweeri decided that the families of executed armed robbers should be charged/pay for the bullet used in executing them and it carried on for a long time.
Re: Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? by dein77(m): 8:59pm On Jun 14, 2012
BlueMurder:

I hope so too, but how will this hope translate to reality when the National Assembly whose duty it is to make such laws, is itself a bastion of corruption? Now i understand why that Lagos guy threatened to send them a nuclear warhead. Imagine the damage they are doing to our collective psyche and heritage.
WE CAN FORCE THEM TO PROMULGATE IT IF WE ARE WILLING TO BRAVE THE DANGER OF OCCUPYING NASS INDEFINITELY
Re: Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? by omenka(m): 10:41pm On Jun 14, 2012
And another thing. Even if such a law is put in place, our situation just might get worse given the kind of lilly livered and corrupt judges we have littered all over. Not a single conviction would there be in a century making nigeria the 'least corrupt nation in the world' surpassing New Zealand! sad
Re: Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? by Nobody: 12:55am On Jun 15, 2012
I am not supporting death sentence but they should be jailed for life!
Re: Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? by Exponental(m): 5:57am On Jun 15, 2012
@topic, that's d way out......though it is a hard way, but, it is the only way.
Re: Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? by akanbijm: 9:41am On Jun 15, 2012
Death penalty is the only solution that can stop corruption in Nigeria otherwise there will no be an end to all these nonsense.Everybody will change their aptitude once a death penalty is introduced. If will should continue relying on all these government agencies, it is like a captain who is sailing a ship without destination.We cannot get the solution and the country will not move forward.Death penalty is the answer
Re: Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? by toyindebare(m): 9:59am On Jun 15, 2012
Corruption has eaten deep into our country and if not curbed,we will get to a stage whereby Nigerians will find it difficult to even put food on our table.Capital punishment should be dished out to corrupt people irrespective of their tribe,political party and influence.If this is done,corrruption will be reduced drastically.
Re: Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? by esoteric1: 11:25am On Jun 15, 2012
Absolutely!
Re: Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? by davida222(m): 2:27pm On Jun 15, 2012
The only way nigerian can mov forwald is for a revolution to take place, remenber russia and china wuz like 9ja in d past. Nigerians are really suffering and smiling.
Re: Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? by gendebs(m): 1:53pm On Jun 16, 2012
[quote author=Ijebulogic]Only God has the right to give or take life. Ans lets be honest, corruption is so endemic that the executioners will be very busy my dear friend. What will work however is the following: The worst thing you can do to a man who craves riches and relevance is to make him poor and irrelevant. Corrupt officials should get 21 years imprisonment and given public manual labour assignments so school children and tourists can come and watch former ministers and governors wearing LAWMA outfits and sweeping the streets. Sometimes death is to "easy" a punishment when compared to 21 years of public ridicule. Having said all the above, I still do not understand why for example, Bernie Madoff has been sentenced to life imprisonment while our corrupt bankers here plea bargained and are still flying 1st class and living a life of luxury? The system is beyond repair![/qu

My brother I have to acknowledge your comment cos this is best I have read this year on nairaland but this very impossible. Nigeria's problem is not our politician but lawyer. They teach them all sort of lies, the lawyers tell them what to say so as to defend themselves when its actually obvious they committed the crime. If our lawyers will be sincere and stop defending this corrupt people, I bet corruption will be a thing of the past in this country. God bless.
Re: Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jun 16, 2012
To get the death penalty imposed for corruption, we need a dictatorship in power.

The thing about dictatorships is that they end up killing and terrorising not just the corrupt, but also political dissidents, including those campaigning for 'greater freedoms', 'democracy' etc.

Before you know it, we're in a Ghadafi/Assad/Saddam situation.

So we really need to be clear on what we want.

I think we can impose the death penalty on corruption in a reasonably democratic dispensation. BUT that would only be after overhauling completely the imported political and administrative systems we operate, and developing a fail-safe home grown system of governance and administration.
Re: Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? by dasparrow: 3:50pm On Jun 16, 2012
Eziachi: The fight in my opinion starts from the presidency. Jonathan has to send such a law to the both legislative houses and use every avenue to blackmail them to pass the law with two months, even if it worth him sitting in the public gallery everyday day until the law is passed. Once the law is signed, a clause in the law which will stipulate for a 90 days of amnesty for past corrupt practices shall set it.

And the clause shall stipulate that every public or private person living shall within 90 days return what it has stolen from the masses and that record shall be wiped clean with immediate effect. The after 90 days, the death penalty law shall kick start.

But with Nigerian and its structure and its rulers, this isjust a fantasy. Someone like Jonathan can't try such a thing, because not only he is doing his best to become one of the most corrupt rulers of Nigeria but the fact that he doesn't have the liver, heart, will, personality and is surrounded by vultures of all sizes and shapes and colours.

But if you are to believe humans, the only person I trust today to attempt it is Mr Buhari and the Nigeria political/corrupt establishment knew this fact. That why they are afraid of him and much of his opponent are his own people who knew what they had done for the past 40 years unchecked. That is why the aforementioned establishment are painting him all sort to stick on the guy but the funny thing is: Those here writing all sorts against corruption are the same folks buying into the blackmail/propaganda from the corrupt mafia in government against Buhari.

How many times had I said it, Nigerian are their worst enemies and they loved to love their real enemies.

Well said especially the bolded part.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is The Federal Character Principle Necessary?, By Kenneth Amaeshi / Customs Distributes 8,000 Bags Of Rice To Idps, Orphanages In C/river-official / 2023: Tinubu Vs Seyi Makinde

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.