Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,605 members, 7,809,216 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:36 AM

Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm (14814 Views)

Reps Suspend Plan To Purchase Exotic Cars / Court Renews Arrest Warrant On Tompolo, Orders Security Agencies To Produce Him / Full List Of Endangered Agencies To Be Scrapped - Orosanye (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm by Lanquart: 1:41pm On Jun 15, 2012
Reps Suspend Farouk Lawan, Recommends Otedola’s Coys For Fraud Investigations

The House of Representatives at a special plenary session today suspended its embattled chairman of the ad hoc committee on fuel subsidy payments, Farouk Lawan even as the lawmakers unanimously revoked the clearance of Otedola’s companies and directed anti-graft agencies to probe them for collecting foreign currencies running into millions of dollars without using them for same purpose.

By virtue of the decision of the House, Lawan will henceforth cease to be the Chairman of the House committee on Education and chairman of the ad hoc committee on fuel subsidy management.

Otedola’s companies listed for fraud investigations are Zenon Petroleum and Gas as well as Synopsis Enterprises Ltd.
The House said the two companies collected about $300 million USD for the purpose of importing petroeleum products in 2010 but never did. The companies were earlier cleared of any wrong doing by the probe report after Lawan was allegedly induced with bribe.

The suspension of Lawan which will stand untill investigation into his bribery allegation is concluded was hinged on Order 10, Rule 71, sub 4 of the House’s rules.The House also mandated the Ethic and Privileges Committee to carry out independent investigations on the allegation and report to it within two weeks even as it expressed its support for the police which is investigating the matter.

Though Lawan could not attend the special plenary session because he was still being detained by the police, the motion for his suspension was however moved by the Chief Whip of the House,Hon Ishaka Mohammed Bawa who said the House cannot pretend not to be concerned about the $620,000 bribery allegation against Lawan, with a warning that the scandal was already affecting the image of the entire House.

He called on the House reverse itself on the exoneration of Zenon Oil from the list of indicted companies by recommending that the EFCC and other anti-corruption agencies begin investigation into the collection of forex by the firm for the importation of petroleum products that were never imported.

In his words “I urge the House to rescind the Resolution of the House of Tuesday,April 24,2012 on the Recommendation(xxix) items (5) and (6) of the Ad-Hoc Committee’s Report . Delete namely Synopsis Enterprises Ltd and Zenon Petroleum and Gas Ltd from the list of those companies…they should be referred to the relevant ant-corruption agencies with a view to verifying what they used the forex collected for.”

The motion which was reinforced by the Chairman, House Rules and Business, Hon Sam Tsokwa and Minority whip, Hon Samson Osagie was overwhelmingly voted for by all members when the Speaker asked for vote on it.

The House also passed a vote of confidence on the leadership of Tambuwal and gave him a thunderous applause before rising to close the session.

http://ireports-ng.com/2012/06/15/reps-suspend-farouk-lawan-recommends-otedolas-coys-for-fraud-investigations/
Re: Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm by juman(m): 8:08pm On Jun 15, 2012
Awon oniranu

1 Like

Re: Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm by ozalogbo: 9:00pm On Jun 15, 2012
brilliant move by d house. Those who understand politics know what is happening

3 Likes

Re: Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm by signified: 9:06pm On Jun 15, 2012
My father said "when rain meets a tiger, it will turn to a rat grin
Re: Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm by member479760: 9:07pm On Jun 15, 2012
Lanquart: Reps Suspend Farouk Lawan, Recommends Otedola’s Coys For Fraud Investigations

The House of Representatives at a special plenary session today suspended its embattled chairman of the ad hoc committee on fuel subsidy payments, Farouk Lawan even as the lawmakers unanimously revoked the clearance of Otedola’s companies and directed anti-graft agencies to probe them for collecting foreign currencies running into millions of dollars without using them for same purpose.

By virtue of the decision of the House, Lawan will henceforth cease to be the Chairman of the House committee on Education and chairman of the ad hoc committee on fuel subsidy management.

Otedola’s companies listed for fraud investigations are Zenon Petroleum and Gas as well as Synopsis Enterprises Ltd.
The House said the two companies collected about $300 million USD for the purpose of importing petroeleum products in 2010 but never did. The companies were earlier cleared of any wrong doing by the probe report after Lawan was allegedly induced with bribe.

The suspension of Lawan which will stand untill investigation into his bribery allegation is concluded was hinged on Order 10, Rule 71, sub 4 of the House’s rules.The House also mandated the Ethic and Privileges Committee to carry out independent investigations on the allegation and report to it within two weeks even as it expressed its support for the police which is investigating the matter.

Though Lawan could not attend the special plenary session because he was still being detained by the police, the motion for his suspension was however moved by the Chief Whip of the House,Hon Ishaka Mohammed Bawa who said the House cannot pretend not to be concerned about the $620,000 bribery allegation against Lawan, with a warning that the scandal was already affecting the image of the entire House.

He called on the House reverse itself on the exoneration of Zenon Oil from the list of indicted companies by recommending that the EFCC and other anti-corruption agencies begin investigation into the collection of forex by the firm for the importation of petroleum products that were never imported.

In his words “I urge the House to rescind the Resolution of the House of Tuesday,April 24,2012 on the Recommendation(xxix) items (5) and (6) of the Ad-Hoc Committee’s Report . Delete namely Synopsis Enterprises Ltd and Zenon Petroleum and Gas Ltd from the list of those companies…they should be referred to the relevant ant-corruption agencies with a view to verifying what they used the forex collected for.”

The motion which was reinforced by the Chairman, House Rules and Business, Hon Sam Tsokwa and Minority whip, Hon Samson Osagie was overwhelmingly voted for by all members when the Speaker asked for vote on it.

The House also passed a vote of confidence on the leadership of Tambuwal and gave him a thunderous applause before rising to close the session.

http://ireports-ng.com/2012/06/15/reps-suspend-farouk-lawan-recommends-otedolas-coys-for-fraud-investigations/

The PDP members need to find out where they got the money they used for the last presidential election?

2 Likes

Re: Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm by Castos(m): 9:15pm On Jun 15, 2012
If this case gets more complicated, then we'll all hear issue arising. GOD purnish devil.
Re: Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm by kenraj(m): 9:19pm On Jun 15, 2012
This is just a film trick, only if its not the Nigeria i used to know...Mtchewwwwwwwww lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm by naijaking1: 9:20pm On Jun 15, 2012
Tambuwal, tambuwal, Tambuwal. How many times did I call your name?
Anytime your comimittee heads begin to investigate, they end up being investigated themselves. Remember Hede for SEC, now Lawan, something is defintely wrong with the way you and your deputy do your job.
Re: Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm by Kobojunkie: 9:22pm On Jun 15, 2012
nakedall:

The PDP members need to find out where they got the money they used for the last presidential election?

BINGO!

1 Like

Re: Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm by Kobojunkie: 9:25pm On Jun 15, 2012

Am I missing something? But isn't this exactly what the resolution of April 24th suggested take place?

1 Like

Re: Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm by andyanders: 9:26pm On Jun 15, 2012
No matter that Farouk has been exposed. All members has filthy fingers and it's a game they play and maybe their logo is "You are Alone" when caught. Too bad for him.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm by crackhouse(m): 9:29pm On Jun 15, 2012
Hmm, i don't know what to say. I am still sipping my gin with a stick of cigar on my left hand since the drama have just started.
Re: Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm by stephoye: 9:31pm On Jun 15, 2012
Hmmmmm, I can see real politics going on here.Planned work by the house of reps and Lawan after all, Otedola coys will be found guilty and Lawan will be recall to the house.Lawan should be investigated as well suspension alone is not enough
Re: Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm by Kobojunkie: 9:32pm On Jun 15, 2012
stephoye:

Hmmmmm, I can see real politics going on here.Planned work by the house of reps and Lawan after all, Otedola coys will be found guilty and Lawan will be recall to the house.Lawan should be investigated as well suspension alone is not enough

Are you suggesting that the Otedola firms were innocent to begin with?

1 Like

Re: Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm by damola1: 9:34pm On Jun 15, 2012
If I were a house of rep. member now... I would just resign!..Didn't they ever do any work before joining politics...
Re: Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm by gbadexy(m): 9:38pm On Jun 15, 2012
These legislators can fit behave childishly. I pity for otedola because they will so show him.
I just hop he is totally clean himself.
Re: Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jun 15, 2012
the drama has just begun

the mafias in NANS will show otedola what "an injury to one is an injury to all" really means

3 Likes

Re: Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm by mbhs139(m): 9:45pm On Jun 15, 2012
Hunnnnn!

Well, if I were Otedola I'll simply approach the court to restrain the house from investigating my company for any wrong doing after being exonerated by a committee set up by the house itself. Two, I'll sue the house for even attempting to investigate my company after clearing it of any wrong doing it the report and insist that the earlier report be made to stand, and since the Ouse itself have said that they still stand by that report, then they lack the locus status to query my company again based on that report.

Now, come to think of it, how can you say that report still stand and yet you want to bring in a company whose name was initially cleared of any wrong doing only after the chairman of the committee was accused of collecting bribe?

It just appears as if the people will call our representatives can not think more or less than like a child. Well, which ever way they want to take this case, except and only if Otedola himself have something to hide, they will loose if this matter is taken to court.

By the way, like someone said on this matter in an earlier post, why must it always be the house of representative that should be investigating fraud cases, what is the work of the police, SSS, icpc and the efcc? Must they always wait until they are called in? What is the rule of law on criminal investigation?

To cut the whole story short, this one na just film we dey watch, it will soon end. Make one big thing just happen again now, then that's the end of this show. But serious, this people aren't ashamed of themselves. It's terribly terrible.

6 Likes

Re: Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm by Nobody: 9:46pm On Jun 15, 2012
aguiyi: the drama has just begun

the mafias in NANS will show otedola what "an injury to one is an injury to all" really means
. Nothing will happen to Otedola. You can quote me. Farouk may go to jail.
Re: Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm by Kobojunkie: 9:47pm On Jun 15, 2012
mbhs139: Well, if I were Otedola I'll simply approach the court to restrain the house from investigating my company for any wrong doing after being exonerated by a committee set up by the house itself. Two, I'll sue the house for even attempting to investigate my company after clearing it of any wrong doing it the report and insist that the earlier report be made to stand, and since the Ouse itself have said that they still stand by that report, then they lack the locus status to query my company again based on that report.

um . . . why in the world would you even think the courts have such power? angry undecided undecided undecided
Re: Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jun 15, 2012
Initial gragra. . .someone should tell me what will happen to Farouk now that it's clear that he is corrupt.
Re: Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm by lacidi: 9:49pm On Jun 15, 2012
What people have failed to understand is that the legislature has no power to order EFCC to investigate anybody. They can only 'advice'. EFCC, the police etc are all under the control of the executive. The so called report from the house can only have any coercive value if the executive afford it such value. The legislature is there only to make laws and to give advice. They cannot arrest, order the arrest or enforce the arrest of any citizen. You all remember when late Gani called their bluff and refused to appear before then when summoned. That's because they do not have such powers that they arrogated to themselves. They have decided to become both the judiciary and the executive at same time. Unfortunately, there are people who won't be cowed by their antics. Nothing and I repeat, absolutely nothing will happen to Otedola. The irony of this case is that if the report is tabled in court, it will be thrown out on the simple ground that it has been tainted by proven case of bribery and intimidation. So the report is merely an advice and not a directive, so no one should fret over it.

3 Likes

Re: Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm by eprynce(m): 9:51pm On Jun 15, 2012
Nice one from the 'legislooters'. Who says they are dumb? Save their sorry faces and cow the rearing Otedola and his sponsors. Unless someone more maverick comes up with something to thump this, 'Facrook' will be saved in the end. I know this Nigeria like the back of my palm. smiley
Re: Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm by andyanders: 9:51pm On Jun 15, 2012
@mbhs139

Na grammar you dey yan. Listen, the same guy who exonerated his company is same guy he roped in. That has voided whatever recommendation Farouk made to cover Oteloa's companies.
Therefore, the 2 companies must be thoroughly investigated and if found guilty, Otedola should be sent to prison and his assets confiscated.

1 Like

Re: Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm by mbhs139(m): 9:53pm On Jun 15, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Are you suggesting that the Otedola firms were innocent to begin with?

The chance that they are innocent is more than otherwise. Not holding brief for him though, but if he's actually clean, he'll fight this people to a stand still in the court of law. Reason: they can't claim that should still be implemented snit were now and yet wants to investigate his company again after being cleared in a report the house itself is standing and acting on. Except they will jettison that report and start the process afresh again.

Besides, and like I said earlier,since he (Otedola) claims to have video/audio evidence of what transpired between him and Lawan, then the house can't get anywhere with this case- so, I suppose. But unfortunately, we can't get any conviction either way in this case, unless the trial is done in London.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm by PeeDaVinci: 9:58pm On Jun 15, 2012
and what about the marketers that paid their bribes before the initial report was presented to the house? how would they know them and include them in the list of firms to be investigated. i think this whole thing is a sham and shame. i would suggest we contract this probe out to a foreign firm with proven integrity and good forensic scientists to help figure out who stole wat

1 Like

Re: Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm by mbhs139(m): 9:59pm On Jun 15, 2012
juman: "Rogues and criminals"

Yea! That is exactly what they are. But who will save us from this kleptomaniacs? No be laughing matter o!
Re: Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm by Kobojunkie: 10:00pm On Jun 15, 2012
lacidi: What people have failed to understand is that the legislature has no power to order EFCC to investigate anybody. They can only 'advice'.

That is why these were considered RECOMMENDATIONS. It is back again on the TO DO PILE for the Jonathan Administration, as is the IMPLEMENTATION OF THE SUBSIDY PROBE RECOMMENDATION.

1 Like

Re: Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm by Beaf: 10:00pm On Jun 15, 2012
The house has just trapped itself. Thats to be expected of a pack of thieves, running scared, looking for an easy exit.
I expect the house to now be so embroilled in legal conflicts that it would become effectively useless.

I pray every last one in the nest of phuckers is arrested and charged for anything anyone can find. angry

1 Like

Re: Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm by Beaf: 10:03pm On Jun 15, 2012
PeeDaVinci: and what about the marketers that paid their bribes before the initial report was presented to the house? how would they know them and include them in the list of firms to be investigated. i think this whole thing is a sham and shame. i would suggest we contract this probe out to a foreign firm with proven integrity and good forensic scientists to help figure out who stole wat

No need for that, I would suggest handing it over to upright citizens like Wole Soyinka and Olisa Agbakoba. People who are totally independent of govt and who are fully invested in a positive future for Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm by Kobojunkie: 10:03pm On Jun 15, 2012
mbhs139:

The chance that they are innocent is more than otherwise. Not holding brief for him though, but if he's actually clean, he'll fight this people to a stand still in the court of law. Reason: they can't claim that should still be implemented snit were now and yet wants to investigate his company again after being cleared in a report the house itself is standing and acting on. Except they will jettison that report and start the process afresh again.

Besides, and like I said earlier,since he (Otedola) claims to have video/audio evidence of what transpired between him and Lawan, then the house can't get anywhere with this case- so, I suppose. But unfortunately, we can't get any conviction either way in this case, unless the trial is done in London.

What in the world are you on about again? Otedola's companies had the chance to fight the recommendations in the courts to begin with. This does not change anything of that. Whether all his companies are put back on the list, or the EFCC instead investigates 2 of them, that he was fingered gives him power to take the issue to the courts where it will all be decided.

His having video evidence of some scandal does not, and should not change any of the findings during the probe.
Re: Reps Suspend Lawan, Order Anti-graft Agencies To Investigate Otedola’s Firm by arabambi: 10:07pm On Jun 15, 2012
damola1: If I were a house of rep. member now... I would just resign!..Didn't they ever do any work before joining politics...
Just my thought. Let them be honourable at least for once.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

MASSOB On Hoisting Biafran Flag: Police Can't Stop Us / Gov Ajimobi, Alaafin Of Oyo And Olubadan Spotted Together At An Event / Donald Duke: I Left PDP Because The Umbrella Was Breaking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.