Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,087 members, 7,821,755 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria (4091 Views)

I Repent From All Forms Of Tribalism And Bigotry Today / Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy / Ibori's Nephew Accuses Yorubas Of Tribalism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria by Nobody: 7:39am On Nov 27, 2007
How do we get rid of tribalism in Nigeria and move forward like every other rich country in the world?, The only thing that brings nigerians together is Football and musical shows, what more can be done?

The ethnic groups should come together and forget religion and tribalism,I love Nigeria so much that it hurts so much seeing it go the anarchy way, attack in US and Nigeria boils,attack in Israel and Nigeria boils, riot in northern nigeria,the south boils, riot in the southern nigeria, the north boils, which way forward?

Please my fellow Nigerians lets sort our selves out

Long live the 250 ethnic groups!
Long live Nigeria!

People your views and ideas are needed.

Re: Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria by olanajim(m): 9:09am On Nov 27, 2007
By encouraging inter-tribal marriage.
Re: Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria by McKren(m): 1:17pm On Nov 27, 2007
olanajim:

By encouraging inter-tribal marriage.

I agree with you
Re: Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria by Mariory(m): 3:34pm On Nov 27, 2007
soloreal:

Long live the 250 ethnic groups!
Long live Nigeria!

Amen!
Re: Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 5:01pm On Nov 27, 2007
I fail to see how Blaiming Tribalism and trying to get rid of it will solve anything in Nigeria. I have great respect for the way we are all people from different tribes and I see absolutely nothing wrong with tribalism itself. I remember I actually posted in a particular thread on this issue a while back and since then have noticed that the very people who stoned me and accused me of being a tribalist and hence a racist and ethnocentrist have gone ahead to insult others for their tribal affiliation in other threads. I believe we need to get off our high horses in these issues and focus more on accepting what is and turning it for our good instead. Encouraging people to sign up for inter tribal marriages is not going to solve issues. I believe we as nigerians should look more to self when we want to solve problems and not continually try to change the view of those who do not see things as we do and mark them as the problem in our own way all the time.

As long as we are humans, tribalism will always exist. If it is not tribalism, it is something else.
Re: Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria by Nobody: 5:06pm On Nov 27, 2007
your contributions are encouraging my fellow nigerians, one love to you all
Re: Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria by naijaway(m): 11:30pm On Nov 27, 2007
we need to ban or drastically demote traditional rulers. I bet u dat will do 88% of the trick and the other 12% will dissipate with time and national fairness and much more stories of patriotism.

1 Like

Re: Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria by RichyBlacK(m): 12:02am On Nov 28, 2007
Kobojunkie:

I fail to see how Blaiming Tribalism and trying to get rid of it will solve anything in Nigeria. I have great respect for the way we are all people from different tribes and I see absolutely nothing wrong with tribalism itself. I remember I actually posted in a particular thread on this issue a while back and since then have noticed that the very people who stoned me and accused me of being a tribalist and hence a racist and ethnocentrist have gone ahead to insult others for their tribal affiliation in other threads. I believe we need to get off our high horses in these issues and focus more on accepting what is and turning it for our good instead. Encouraging people to sign up for inter tribal marriages is not going to solve issues. I believe we as nigerians should look more to self when we want to solve problems and not continually try to change the view of those who do not see things as we do and mark them as the problem in our own way all the time.

As long as we are humans, tribalism will always exist. If it is not tribalism, it is something else.

Please keep your myopic views to yourself. Ethnic bigot!

Yes, I slammed you first because you deserve it for insulting all the Nigerians that have given the ultimate sacrifice to preserve Nigeria's unity. Idiot!!! angry
Re: Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria by RichyBlacK(m): 12:21am On Nov 28, 2007
Possible solutions:

1. Refraining from discouraging inter-ethnic dating and marriage. Many Nigerians are guilty of this.
2. Refraining from using ethnic slurs, e.g. ndi Yoruba Yoruba, awon aj'okuta ma m'omi, etc.
3. Instituting more meritocracy in the system, at whatever level or situation one finds him/herself, instead of ethnic preference
4. Teaching our kids that every person, regardless of ethnic background, should be given due respect and a fair chance. I emphasize kids because it's difficult to change adults, like the Kobojunkies of this world.
5. Desisting from consciously excluding people from other ethnic groups from our circle of friends.

Just some of my thoughts.

Please do not listen to the Kobojunkies of this world, who, like the Klu Klux Klan, cannot distinguish cultural identity from tribalism or ethnocentrism.
Re: Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 12:25am On Nov 28, 2007
naijaway:

we need to ban or drastically demote traditional rulers. I bet u that will do 88% of the trick and the other 12% will dissipate with time and national fairness and much more stories of patriotism.

But @Naijaway , in all of changes over history, from the very dawn of time, tribalism /racism and many others have remained. Why do we continue to cry for it to be removed from society?? That is similar to the cry of those who claim religion is there problem when religion has been from the beginning and regardless of changes to society, whichever the direction, will remain. We have seen civilizations disappear but their religion has remained and is still practised. Why do we think that tribalism will ever go away ?? Why is TRibalism even the problem?? Why do we not instead focus on accepting people as they are and instead of continually calling for the shutting up or elimination of those who do not believe or subscribe to the same ideologies that we do?? I think that happens to be our BIGGEST issue more than anything else.
Re: Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria by adconline(m): 6:42am On Nov 28, 2007
easier said than done
Re: Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria by nigeria1: 11:27am On Nov 28, 2007
The way to get rid of tribalism is to change the constitution of Nigeria and make your state of origin , your state of birth, And you start a new program and put people like afam , makama under special mind changing program to eliminate the tribalism in them,
Re: Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria by dot2002(m): 12:21pm On Nov 28, 2007
Free education, education, education
Re: Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 1:37pm On Nov 28, 2007
uumm, we have had free education for decades now and that has still not cured anything. Even some of the most educated people we have on the planet are stilll tribalistic in nature, even though they do not wear the badge in public. And ever notice that when you get to some sort of Rally, those crying against tribalism and against such things as racism are themselves some of the worst culprits of the same without even realizing it

nigeria1:

The way to get rid of tribalism is to change the constitution of Nigeria and make your state of origin , your state of birth, And you start a new program and put people like afam , makama under special mind changing program to eliminate the tribalism in them,

Does forcing people to change cause you do not like their view and the way they choose to live their lives really make you any better a person than they are?? I mean we have seen this happen over and over in history and we still think this approach will yield good because we think when we do it, it will be any different, even though it is the same old wheel rolling?
Re: Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria by oldie(m): 3:32pm On Nov 28, 2007
My dad once told me if availability of ECN (NEPA/PHCN) in a street recognised tribe?
I told him NO.
Lesson?
Competence and being the best in what ever you do will always see you through no matter the situation.
I run a company and employ the best that are available.
What about you??
Re: Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 3:44pm On Nov 28, 2007
oldie:

My dad once told me if availability of ECN (NEPA/PHCN) in a street recognised tribe?
I told him NO.
Lesson?
Competence and being the best in what ever you do will always see you through no matter the situation.
I run a company and employ the best that are available.
What about you??

Do you mind explain how this relates to the topic?? I mean I do not understand the question at all and if you can better explain, I may be able to post a reply.
Re: Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria by laudate: 3:48pm On Nov 28, 2007
Kobojunkie:

RichyBlacK:

Please keep your myopic views to yourself. Ethnic bigot!

Yes, I slammed you first because you deserve it for insulting all the Nigerians that have given the ultimate sacrifice to preserve Nigeria's unity. Idiot!!! angry

Abeg, make una no stop me. . . .I wan laugh well, well!! grin grin Nothing wey person eye no go see for Nairaland. I thought the difference between Nationalism and tribalism had been clearly spelt out in another thread. Yet, someone is still here moaning about seeing "absolutely nothing wrong with tribalism itself." Chukwu biko!!

Hehehe. . . . . .may God deliver us! shocked
Re: Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 4:04pm On Nov 28, 2007
laudate:

Abeg, make una no stop me. . . .I wan laugh well, well!! grin grin Nothing wey person eye no go see for Nairaland. I thought the difference between Nationalism and tribalism had been clearly spelt out in another thread. Yet, someone is still here moaning about seeing "absolutely nothing wrong with tribalism itself." Chukwu biko!!

I am sorry if I offend you with my view but I do not see things as you do in this is all it means and come tommorow, I will still argue the same. I repect people for their views on these issues. If a person wants to be tribalistic, that is fine by me. I do not believe in denying persons their right to believe as they want to, it is the freedom we have as humans, so I do not see it as a problem.
Re: Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria by Nobody: 4:07pm On Nov 28, 2007
laudate:

laudate. . . long time no see. where u been?
Re: Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria by Nobody: 6:45pm On Nov 28, 2007
@RichyBlacK

well said and i believe naija will move forwad once we trust in our sisters and brothers from different ethnic groups.

I believe we can make it happen,i love nigeria so much that i cry atimes when i see people suffer because of the so call [b]ETHNIC GROUPS[/b].

lONG LIVE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA!
Re: Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 7:38pm On Nov 28, 2007
soloreal:

@RichyBlacK

well said and i believe naija will move forwad once we trust in our sisters and brothers from different ethnic groups.

I believe we can make it happen,i love nigeria so much that i cry atimes when i see people suffer because of the so call [b]ETHNIC GROUPS[/b].

lONG LIVE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA!

Are you sure the main reason why they suffer is cause of their ethnic background?? Remove that and they might still be pushed out for another reason and then another and so on.
Re: Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria by dot2002(m): 7:15pm On Nov 30, 2007
Kobojunkie so what are your solutions or are you just waiting for somebody to reply so that you can start copying there post and disproving them all over! you seem to disagree with every other thinking faculty contributing to this thread, not realising everyone is right in bits.
Re: Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 7:36pm On Nov 30, 2007
dot2002:

Kobojunkie so what are your solutions or are you just waiting for somebody to reply so that you can start copying there post and disproving them all over! you seem to disagree with every other thinking faculty contributing to this thread, not realising everyone is right in bits.

The reason why I disagree with the ideas of the poster and those who are in favour of clamping down on people who freely choose to be tribalistic in their ways is cause I believe in people having freedom to express their views and so I see no reason why we should focus on those who do not agree with us but I propose that we focus more on putting forth more valid points to convince them that our side is the better instead.

I propose people start realizing that those who choose to be tribalistic choose to do so cause that is what THEY WANT and as long as they are not committing some sort of crime, they are free to do so. On the other hand, would also like you notice how majority of those who want to stamp down on what others believe are themselves people who are guilty of the same accusations they claim others are guilty of but are too blind to notice it.

I am sure this is exactly what I have been saying in my posts so far @Dot2002
Re: Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria by dot2002(m): 7:44pm On Nov 30, 2007
what you wrote is the way out, i must agree. It took you a good deal seven posts! very nice, i will leave it for everybody to digest and move Nigeria forward. cheers
Re: Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria by RichyBlacK(m): 11:31am On Dec 01, 2007
Kobojunkie:

The reason why I disagree with the ideas of the poster and those who are in favour of clamping down on people who freely choose to be tribalistic in their ways is cause I believe in people having freedom to express their views and so I see no reason why we should focus on those who do not agree with us but I propose that we focus more on putting forth more valid points to convince them that our side is the better instead.

I propose people start realizing that those who choose to be tribalistic choose to do so cause that is what THEY WANT and as long as they are not committing some sort of crime, they are free to do so. On the other hand, would also like you notice how majority of those who want to stamp down on what others believe are themselves people who are guilty of the same accusations they claim others are guilty of but are too blind to notice it.

I am sure this is exactly what I have been saying in my posts so far @Dot2002

So in your insane world, all is fair and good unless it is a crime. Based on that logic, adultery is good because it is not a crime in America where you live.

Well then, we'll wait till the Nigerian legislature pass laws that make tribalism a crime.
Re: Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria by RichyBlacK(m): 11:41am On Dec 01, 2007
Kobojunkie:

I am sorry if I offend you with my view but I do not see things as you do in this is all it means and come tommorow, I will still argue the same. I repect people for their views on these issues. If a person wants to be tribalistic, that is fine by me. I do not believe in denying persons their right to believe as they want to, it is the freedom we have as humans, so I do not see it as a problem.

How about if a person wants to be an armed robber? I hope you won't deny him/her that right.

Hey, let's not forget those that want to be serial killers.

Thank God for people like Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks and Malcolm X, who fought against the rights of ethnic bigots. They fought to deny people like the KKK from exercising their right to hate. Thank God they weren't like Kobojunkie, who would have smiled and said: "Please let us respect the right of all racists, including the KKK, to act out their racist and ethnocentric views".

While you are in your warped world of rights, remember that America would not have been as cozy for you without the struggles of those who chose to deny racists, ethnocentric bigots, and tribalists, their right to exercise hate.
Re: Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria by Nobody: 2:26pm On Dec 01, 2007
well said @RichyBlacK
Re: Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria by RichyBlacK(m): 7:31am On Dec 03, 2007
soloreal:

well said @RichyBlacK

Ogbe mi, some rights MUST be denied!

Kobojunkie lives in America but does not appreciate the struggles America has gone through in trying to stamp out hate disguised as racism, ethnocentrism and tribalism.
Re: Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria by Afam(m): 2:07pm On Dec 03, 2007
RichyBlacK:

Ogbe mi, some rights MUST be denied!

Kobojunkie lives in America but does not appreciate the struggles America has gone through in trying to stamp out hate disguised as racism, ethnocentrism and tribalism.

How will he understand when he is already reaping the from what others put their bloods on the line to give him?

Sometimes I wonder what goes on in this guy's head. Now you may begin to wonder why someone like this will object to suicide bombers doing their thing after all na dia right abi left sef.
Re: Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria by mrpataki(m): 2:18pm On Dec 03, 2007
Afam:

How will he understand when he is already reaping the from what others put their bloods on the line to give him?

Sometimes I wonder what goes on in this guy's head. Now you may begin to wonder why someone like this will object to suicide bombers doing their thing after all na dia right abi left sef.

Did you watch the Republican debate? Everyone has a right to do their own thing, but when it becomes a nuisance to the society, the law is always there to bring out a punitive measure to it.

I have a right to go and sit down on the railway track, but when it gets to become a nuisance by causing rail traffic for no just cause, then I must face the music of the law!

You have a right to be tribalistic if you so desire, but if it gets to be nuisance to the nation, be ready for what hits you next!

Peace.
Re: Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 2:24pm On Dec 03, 2007
mrpataki:

Did you watch the Republican debate? Everyone has a right to do their own thing, but when it becomes a nuisance to the society, the law is always there to bring out a punitive measure to it.
I have a right to go and sit down on the railway track, but when it gets to become a nuisance by causing rail traffic for no just cause, then I must face the music of the law!

You have a right to be tribalistic if you so desire, but if it gets to be nuisance to the nation, be ready for what hits you next!

Peace.

Exactly my point. Tribalism is not a crime at all. The Only thing the law should focus on is making sure that criminals ( ie people who commit crimes) be punished for their crimes. Not go around jailing people who have a different point of view from that of others who believe it is wrong. If that were to be the case, then every Christian/muslim and non-religious persons, who believes homosexuality is wrong, should be prosecuted for thinking or even believing that.

Heck, I wonder if the same who want tribalists to be treated like  criminals would submit to having their own thoughts screened and they put in jail should they have thoughts or ideas contrary to that of others. I don't understand how any group of people, would want such for another group just because  they do not agree or accept their side of the argument. Heck, we might as well go back to the old days where those who had thoughts contrary to that held by the king of the land were beheaded or sold off into slavery.

What happened to tolerance??
Re: Getting Rid Of Tribalism Out Of Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 5:39pm On Dec 04, 2007
Yep. Tolerance flies out the window and when it comes to the opposition. I wait to continue our discussion @Soloreal. I hope to go a step further to have you see that the problem lies more with those who keep that tribalism is the problem.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria, U.S. Sign Pact On Regional Security ;Africom Has Come To Naija: Smh / Methodist Bishop Joins Abia Senatorial Race / Third Mainland Bridge To Get Street Lights In April

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.