Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,739 members, 7,809,832 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:40 PM

NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! - Health (553) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! (4391823 Views)

In Benue, Woman Delivers 6 Still-Born Babies (Graphic Pic) / SHOCKING PHOTOS: See Chinese People Kill And Eat New Born Babies / Are There Doctors For Newly Born Babies Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (550) (551) (552) (553) (554) (555) (556) ... (2515) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jun 29, 2016
zaynie:
Fortius, are you mad at me ni?
Did you get my mail.
Oya chop these kisses and get back to me TODAY kiss kiss kiss
Mad at u?ah..i no fit o..av bn busy arranging.washing.prepAring for bae arrival ni.i can only pop in once in a while now.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sayoddy(f): 10:58pm On Jun 29, 2016
DS has started teething, poops something greenish at least 3times daily, losing weight though next week is his immunization and will check weight. The hospital we took him said it can't be help but to try ors, flagil for kids and biastop.
The flagil for kids leaflet says from one year up and 2.5ml, the biastop leaflet says from 3years old so I don't bother to open it. The flagil, I minimize to 0.5ml. Since Friday, he started taking it, there's no
difference.

Experienced mamas pls what should be done. The stooling is too much

3 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by IryNky: 11:42pm On Jun 29, 2016
Helo sabi mamas in d house pls help me. Am really worried, I went for immunization today n am afraid d nurse dat administered d vaccine kept complaining dat I did not hold my baby well and i have dis feeling it is likely d needle broke inside her. Someone told me dat dey use plastic needle for infants. Don't kno Hw tru dat is. Pls what symptoms should I watch out for and wat should I do.my lo is 14weeks .
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 7:43am On Jun 30, 2016
sayoddy:
DS has started teething, poops something greenish at least 3times daily, losing weight though next week is his immunization and will check weight. The hospital we took him said it can't be help but to try ors, flagil for kids and biastop.
The flagil for kids leaflet says from one year up and 2.5ml, the biastop leaflet says from 3years old so I don't bother to open it. The flagil, I minimize to 0.5ml. Since Friday, he started taking it, there's no
difference.

Since the drugs are not working and you're concerned, stop all of them. Let's not overburden that liver. There's this food thingie known as BRAT (Banana, Rice, Applesauce, Toast) that children and adults take when stooling (those foods usually help solidify the poo). If your baby is old enough to start solids. He can start on rice cereal, mashed banana, pureed apple and bread.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by nutigal: 7:52am On Jun 30, 2016
please who is using my boy eldorin form.ula for her baby? Is it okay?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by babythug(f): 9:49am On Jun 30, 2016
sayoddy:
difference.

You can give him a spoon of raw pap. Teaspoon. Preferably pap you made yourself or at least from.a source you're sure of.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by babythug(f): 9:52am On Jun 30, 2016
IryNky:
Helo sabi mamas in d house pls help me. Am really worried, I went for immunization today n am afraid d nurse dat administered d vaccine kept complaining dat I did not hold my baby well and i have dis feeling it is likely d needle broke inside her. Someone told me dat dey use plastic needle for infants. Don't kno Hw tru dat is. Pls what symptoms should I watch out for and wat should I do.my lo is 14weeks .

I'd suggest taking her back. Na Dr go fit check that kain thing. Sorry and do be careful next time round.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by ozycy: 12:54pm On Jun 30, 2016
sayoddy:
DS has started teething tongue

I had similar experience last week, baby was running temeprature(gave para) + cough+cartarrh+ she will trow up after feeding. I had to breastfeed her more and I made her cereal to be lighter Cos the moment I put spoon inside her mouth to feed her she will start coughing non stop until she throws up. Meanwhile I never even see the teeth but the place is becoming more pronounced now so am expecting teeth soon lol. Don't even bother with the drugs cos this phase will pass. Just keep him hydrated, breastfeed and feed as often as you can.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sayoddy(f): 2:14pm On Jun 30, 2016
Thanks Onegai babythug and psychological for your response. I wanted to know if I'm doing it right. 14weeks old Ds is on exclusive bf. He should be hydrated enough
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by JOYlikeArivER: 3:11pm On Jun 30, 2016
babythug:

You can give him a spoon of raw pap. Teaspoon. Preferably pap you made yourself or at least from.a source you're sure of.
plz wat will d raw pap do to d baby?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Bisoye82: 6:37pm On Jun 30, 2016
dunasy:

@ ma'am zaynie, ma'am loisemm :- I have gotten the details. Thanks plenri much
Form is out and closing next month.
I wanna buy past questions

Thanks ladies.you are all a blessing wink
Am also interested.
Brought me out of my peeping mode.
Cheers
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 7:47pm On Jun 30, 2016
Comstipation in Babies from 6 months

It's actually quite common for babies to get constipated once they start solids and it can last for a long time. If you don't handle it properly, it could lead to a visit to the hospital or worse, poor toilet habits (my aunt has an 11 year old son who still gets constipated).

Baby poo isn't supposed to be hard. And when it is, baby starts to feel uncomfortable and cry when it is time to poo. He may even dance around in discomfort, stamping his feet on the ground or lie down, raise his legs and stiffen them. Accompanied by straining, grunting and a lot of crying.

Constipation is caused by a lack of water in the system relative to what the child needs. Your child may be drinking plenty water but if he is eating a carb-heavy diet (rice, spaghetti, noodles, bread etc) the water may not be enough for his system. Constipation can be caused by eating too many dairy foods (milk and yorghurt etc), not eating enough vegetables and fibre foods. But the main treatment is to give water. Which can be hard as your baby may refuse to cooperate.

Try giving juice. I prefer juice I make myself rather than Ribena and co. Juice fruits like Golden Melon, Apple, Pear. Watermelon doesn't need much juice and is very nutritious and has a high water content. People do give Orange and Pineapple but I read that it sometimes causes diaper rash in some kids due to the acidity (and that is precisely what happened with us), so give it very diluted and in small quantities.

Apply coconut oil to the baby's anus to help lubricate things and reduce the amount of tearing. Tearing does happen with constipation and will look like dried bits of tomato in baby's stool (that's blood).

For laxatives, there is a drug (i won't mention it) but even paediatric nurses advised me against giving it until I had tried other methods. My aunt with the 11 year old gave her son (as a baby) this and he got used to it, rather than learning to drink more water. Which is why the nurses stopped me from doing the same. I've heard of Liquid edible paraffin but some doctors don't like it because it's a by-product of the oil and gas industry (too chemical-y for them). Prunes are a natural laxative but it can be hard to find (i checked the whole of the island, I have never seen prune juice or prune puree for babies. In 9 months). But guess what? A prune is simply a dried plum. Yup. And plums are sold everywhere (Shoprite, Spar, most supermarkets). You can dry the plums in the sun yourself to make prunes (takes a month to make) or blend the plums with water. If you find packaged prunes (usually in the breakfast or snack section of supermarket), simply blend with water and lemon juice. Give baby a lot and all will be well. Lots of sips of water during the day at any time really helps. Some doctors also recommend flaxseeds, ground and sprinkled in baby cereal (flaxseed is sold at Ebeano, Shoprite and Spar or from most Natural Hair Care companies).

Most Nigerian doctors won't tell you this because they are not taught this in school (it takes a while for a doctor to mature into his/her learning and be able to mix homeopathic remedies and conventional medicine). Plus most of them don't eat these things. Prunes and flaxseeds are not local food. If anyone knows a local food that will help, please share

Change baby's diet: reduce the amount of starchy foods and carbs. For example we ate pureed carrot, green peas, spring onion and red onion with fish as dinner. It was delicious and consisted of proteins and vegetables. Normally, i would have added sweet potato to the mix. Even as an adult you can see that those ingredients are a salad mix and salads are good for you.

If you are worried and wish to go to the hospital, feel free to take a clear picture of what your baby's poo looks like and you can always take a sample to the hospital (they want to see it rather than you describe it to them). I usually study Baby E's poo because in Animal Husbandry, that is one of the best ways of checking on the health of an animal. And yes, humans are animals.

You have to continue treatment for a few days to clear up baby's system. It is quite exhausting so you may have to stay home with baby for a few days because I'm not sure the kind of creche out there that will give your baby that much attention (when he's cranky and other babies need attention too).

If all else doesn't work, no poo shows up in 4-5 days, go to the hospital and they will recommend the drug for you. It is rather effective and is a last stop solution. But the issue of constipation won't go away unless you up baby's water intake.

Below are pictures of plums and prunes. I'd post a picture of constipated poo but some of us here may not have strong constitutions grin

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 10:18pm On Jun 30, 2016
sayoddy:
difference.

It was written on diastop to consult Dr before using it for less than 3 years. My baby took it when his stooling was getting out of hand he took 2.5ml and very very effective. it contains kaolin, kaolin is a clay.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by maureensylvia(f): 11:33pm On Jun 30, 2016
@onegai u are a genius, it's pple like u I like mingling with to know more, am ur secret follower**winks** ah love u #no homo

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sayoddy(f): 11:44pm On Jun 30, 2016
comtem2011:
It was written on diastop to consult Dr before using it for less than 3 years. My baby took it when his stooling was getting out of hand he took 2.5ml and very very effective. it contains kaolin, kaolin is a clay.
It was prescribed from the hospital but I always read leaflets and was sceptical. is kaolin dangerous?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by babythug(f): 3:14am On Jul 01, 2016
JOYlikeArivER:

plz wat will d raw pap do to d baby?

It helps to stop.purging even in adults....

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 7:16am On Jul 01, 2016
sayoddy:
It was prescribed from the hospital but I always read leaflets and was sceptical. is kaolin dangerous?
I read drug leaflets as if I want to write exam as over and over again even as am administering it. kaolin light is d active ingredient in diastop, its an old method of stopping diarrhea in d olden days by Asian country, and its very effective. if d baby is less than 3 yes, 2.5ml is recommended and child must be well hydrated as in giving fluid (ors/BM) from time to time. I used flagyl but it didn't work, v to opt for diastop and I didn't regret it. Flagyl is not for less than 1 year old either, so pls try d diastop and come back to testify. Good morning.

Happy new month everyone, may this month bring favour and fortune into our lives, we shall all live to enjoy the fruit our labour and we shall never cast our young.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 7:19am On Jul 01, 2016
Since baby is 14weeks, 1ml is okay, use that baby drop (full).
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by nutigal: 7:26am On Jul 01, 2016
nutigal:
please who is using my boy eldorin form.ula for her baby? Is it okay?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 7:34am On Jul 01, 2016
maureensylvia:
@onegai u are a genius, it's pple like u I like mingling with to know more, am ur secret follower**winks** ah love u #no homo

Awww thanks. It's just that when I find a solution to a problem, I wanna share it because I'm sure someone else has the same issue. And I have resources to use and can read practively, so I try to get a comprehensive solution.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 10:03am On Jul 01, 2016
[quote author=nutigal post=47091355][/quote]

thot d question has bn treated o anyway A friend bought it for her boy nd it was ok cuz d boy was reacting to oda brands of milk so u can try it mam.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sayoddy(f): 11:03am On Jul 01, 2016
comtem2011:
I read drug leaflets as if I want to write exam as over and over again even as am administering it. kaolin light is d active ingredient in diastop, its an old method of stopping diarrhea in d olden days by Asian country, and its very effective. if d baby is less than 3 yes, 2.5ml is recommended and child must be well hydrated as in giving fluid (ors/BM) from time to time. I used flagyl but it didn't work, v to opt for diastop and I didn't regret it. Flagyl is not for less than 1 year old either, so pls try d diastop and come back to testify. Good morning.

Happy new month everyone, may this month bring favour and fortune into our lives, we shall all live to enjoy the fruit our labour and we shall never cast our young.
Thanks. It's good to be informed on what one is using. I've stopped jare
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by cherrymum1: 1:20pm On Jul 01, 2016
rezzy:

Welcome back. How is Lamide doing?

Rezzy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Na ya eye be this. We are fine o. How ur side? Tnx for checking.....mmmmwwaaaahhhh

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by cutestmummy: 1:29pm On Jul 01, 2016
Onegai:

Awww thanks. It's just that when I find a solution to a problem, I wanna share it because I'm sure someone else has the same issue. And I have resources to use and can read practively, so I try to get a comprehensive solution.
hbd to baby E, I missed the pix....

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by olatebony(f): 1:38pm On Jul 01, 2016
Zippy Kiddies Place!!!
Lots and lots of freebies for your precious ones this month of july!.Kindly click on my fb page to like https://m.facebook.com/Zippy-Kiddies-Place-1574924482806173/ and share any of our post on your timeline and you could be one of our winners in our july freebies! Zippy Kiddies Place

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by JOYlikeArivER: 2:24pm On Jul 01, 2016
babythug:

It helps to stop.purging even in adults....
ok tanx
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by JOYlikeArivER: 2:32pm On Jul 01, 2016
sayoddy:
Thanks. It's good to be informed on what one is using. I've stopped jare
r u serious?
My 4mth baby is also experiencing such for 2 weeks plus now BT d doc told me not to use d diastop since fragile didn't work .he said stoping a child stooling at times is not good so he recommended zinnat an antibiotic wich my baby has bn using for 4 days nw n still no positive result
plz mamas in d house help me cos m scared ooo
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 9:08pm On Jul 01, 2016
JOYlikeArivER:

r u serious?
My 4mth baby is also experiencing such for 2 weeks plus now BT d doc told me not to use d diastop since fragile didn't work .he said stoping a child stooling at times is not good so he recommended zinnat an antibiotic wich my baby has bn using for 4 days nw n still no positive result
plz mamas in d house help me cos m scared ooo
Pls keep the baby hydrated. do u know that frequent stooling is dangerous? seek second opinion o. My DS was stooling for almost a month before I laid my hand on diastop and I got positive result within 2 days. Flagyl refuse to work, but diastop did.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by JOYlikeArivER: 11:31pm On Jul 01, 2016
comtem2011:
Pls keep the baby hydrated. do u know that frequent stooling is dangerous? seek second opinion o. My DS was stooling for almost a month before I laid my hand on diastop and I got positive result within 2 days. Flagyl refuse to work, but diastop did.
Thank u..plz how many ml should I give him?he is just 4 months n a week old
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 7:15am On Jul 02, 2016
JOYlikeArivER:

Thank u..plz how many ml should I give him?he is just 4 months n a week old
Since he is 4 mths, 1ml is okay i.e 1 dropper full, as u r giving pls frequent BM should be given also. read on how many times a day to b given on d leaflets.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Topeju: 9:17am On Jul 02, 2016
Pls mother's am trying 2 wean my 9months old son off midnight breast don't know how 2 go about it,he wakes up every 2 hour 2 suck nd am really getting tired,I tried giving him milk in place of breast he always rejects it.he takes pap nd gerber cereal during the day bt want only breast milk in d night.so literally breathfeed from 9pm to 8am.pls help!!!!
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by zaynie(f): 11:14am On Jul 02, 2016
Topeju:
Pls mother's am trying 2 wean my 9months old son off midnight breast don't know how 2 go about it,he wakes up every 2 hour 2 suck nd am really getting tired,I tried giving him milk in place of breast he always rejects it.he takes pap nd gerber cereal during the day bt want only breast milk in d night.so literally breathfeed from 9pm to 8am.pls help!!!!

Feed him to fullness just before he sleeps.
Then give water when he wakes up.
He might actually accept it. My son does.

(1) (2) (3) ... (550) (551) (552) (553) (554) (555) (556) ... (2515) (Reply)

Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.