Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,393 members, 7,819,405 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:48 PM

NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! - Health (586) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! (4407368 Views)

In Benue, Woman Delivers 6 Still-Born Babies (Graphic Pic) / SHOCKING PHOTOS: See Chinese People Kill And Eat New Born Babies / Are There Doctors For Newly Born Babies Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (583) (584) (585) (586) (587) (588) (589) ... (2515) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by babythug(f): 12:31am On Aug 22, 2016
Thanks onegai! i appreciate the info. Just hope i have the liver to go through with it, can't imagine if i have to handwash the stuff with all the instability of nepa and so on!!!!!
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by AlphaHandMaiden(f): 12:37am On Aug 22, 2016
rofemiguwa:

I got from clothdiaper.ng. mine the soaker is detachable and there is a bamboo liner that is as thin as wipe u are suppose to put. I havent used it yet.waiting for my dd poo to get strong.it is still watery.also i really dont know how to use it.i got them after u recommended it.i was preggy den.now dd has arrived.i dont know how to use it.then do u wash all d components?.
Please reply. I got like 10 at once(preggy hormones) and they are just lying there beautifying her box.
Thank u for responding grin

Breast fed poo is water soluble, so it should wash off in the machine. Formula not so much so a liner is advisable to catch the worst of it. The poo comes off the liners a lot easier than some of the nappies depending on material and texture.

I use paper liners, most which are designed to be flushable and many can be washed a few of times if its only pee.

Why not put up a few pics of the nappy (opened up) and the components so we know which system you have, so any advice is relevant to what you have. For instance, at the end of the day, yes you end up washing all the components but depending on the system may involve some assembling before use and dis-assembly prior to washing or some will allow you re-use the wrap a few times before it needs to be washed.

Cc. Onegai
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by stadora(f): 1:51am On Aug 22, 2016
FexCathy:
Pls mamas what can I use for athletes foot in my 17 months old son. Still wondering how he got it because he is yet to walk fully on his own. Abeg Sabi mamas make una ans O!

Can u post a pic of dat, I think u should take him to hospital. I think my lo have had such case, yes, when he was 7 months. The dr said it's an infection from okirika socks. They prescribed an antibiotics flucamed and a cream Nizoral, which I gave him and applied 4 complete 1 month b4 it cleared. His feets are back to normal now.
Stop wearing him OK socks 4 now
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Jennykoko3009(f): 3:43am On Aug 22, 2016
Pls mothers in d house i need your help... I went for my lo immunization 3days ago(six weeks immuniztion) and when we came bavk i notice that the injected area swelled up. I gave him pcm before and afer taking d injection, up till nw d site is still swelled up. Pls what shud i do or is it normal? Pls help my baby is in pains
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 7:55am On Aug 22, 2016
rofemiguwa:

I got from clothdiaper.ng. mine the soaker is detachable and there is a bamboo liner that is as thin as wipe u are suppose to put. I havent used it yet.waiting for my dd poo to get strong.it is still watery.also i really dont know how to use it.i got them after u recommended it.i was preggy den.now dd has arrived.i dont know how to use it.then do u wash all d components?.
Please reply. I got like 10 at once(preggy hormones) and they are just lying there beautifying her box.
Thank u for responding grin

Please put up a picture so we can see which type you have (sounds like an Ai2). They should have explained how to use and care for them. I know I got an explanation when I was buying mine. If you have relatives abroad, let them buy from www.kellyscloset.com for you (nice freebies and an explanation of any questions you have).
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by rofemiguwa(f): 9:50am On Aug 22, 2016
Onegai:

Please put up a picture so we can see which type you have (sounds like an Ai2). They should have explained how to use and care for them. I know I got an explanation when I was buying mine. If you have relatives abroad, let them buy from www.kellyscloset.com for you (nice freebies and an explanation of any questions you have).

This is a pic.
I opened one, the soaker and the liner is d thin sheet across the diaper pants.

The pink diaper pants is how it looks outside with all d clips i guess for adjustments as baby grows cos they said its one size fits all.

On the pack,it is written that d liner is washable but the thing looks too thin i dont know how that is achievable.

Thank u for ur response. Please kindly teach me as dd has reached d 3months mark.hoping her poo gets stronger so i can try them.

Meanwhile how did u make d cloth wipe? Which material did u use? Is it that material used for flannel?

Cc alphahandmaiden

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by helovesme(f): 9:58am On Aug 22, 2016
Jennykoko3009:
Pls mothers in d house i need your help... I went for my lo immunization 3days ago(six weeks immuniztion) and when we came bavk i notice that the injected area swelled up. I gave him pcm before and afer taking d injection, up till nw d site is still swelled up. Pls what shud i do or is it normal? Pls help my baby is in pains

Get small ice block and place it on injected area regularly. The ice pack should reduce the sweeping and also ease her discomfort. If there's no improvement within 24hours, take her back to the hospital.

Do NOT massage or rub the injection spot as it might make things worse.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 10:25am On Aug 22, 2016
rofemiguwa:

This is a pic.

The pink diaper pants is how it looks outside with all d clips i guess for adjustments as baby grows cos they said its one size fits all.

On the pack,it is written that d liner is washable but the thing looks too thin i dont know how that is achievable.

Thank u for ur response. Please kindly teach me as dd has reached d 3months mark.hoping her poo gets stronger so i can try them.

Meanwhile how did u make d cloth wipe? Which material did u use? Is it that material used for flannel?

Cc alphahandmaiden

Goody. First, wash them all before use. Water should be like 30°c or 40°c max.

That is an All-in-2 diaper. The coloured cover (yellow plastic) is what keeps it waterproof (PUL) and from leaking. The inner (white made from either cotton or hemp or bamboo) is the absorbent part(insert). So you attach the absorbent part inside the waterproof (PUL). This diaper works by snapping the button on the insert to the button on the PUL. Got that? Good. The liner goes inside the diaper ontop of the insert. All the liner does is keep baby stay-dry (however your insert is stay-dry insert already) and keep poop from touching the diaper itself. So that when you are changing, you can flush away the liner (with poop). If it is just pee, you can change the diaper, keep the liner and wash all of them. You can rewash the liners a few times if it's just pee before it starts disintergrating.

Now, how many inserts do you have? If you have multiple inserts, if the baby is wet, you can change just the insert and re-use the PUL with a fresh clean insert.

You can start using the diapers anytime from newborn (though it may not fit too well on smaller babies). I started at 2 months (because Baby E used newborn for 2 months and I got gifted 2 cartons of that size disposable so I had to use it up). The buttons on the PUL are for adjusting size, as baby gets bigger you can unsnap them them to fit baby better. Thats why its called a One-size.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by rofemiguwa(f): 10:46am On Aug 22, 2016
Onegai:

kiss
Goody. First, wash them all before use. Water should be like 30°c or 40°c max.

That is an All-in-2 diaper. The coloured cover (yellow plastic) is what keeps it waterproof (PUL) and from leaking. The inner (white made from either cotton or hemp or bamboo) is the absorbent part(insert). So you attach the absorbent part inside the waterproof (PUL). This diaper works by snapping the button on the insert to the button on the PUL. Got that? Good. The liner goes inside the diaper ontop of the insert. All the liner does is keep baby stay-dry (however your insert is stay-dry insert already) and keep poop from touching the diaper itself. So that when you are changing, you can flush away the liner (with poop). If it is just pee, you can change the diaper, keep the liner and wash all of them. You can rewash the liners a few times if it's just pee before it starts disintergrating.

Now, how many inserts do you have? If you have multiple inserts, if the baby is wet, you can change just the insert and re-use the PUL with a fresh clean insert.

You can start using the diapers anytime from newborn (though it may not fit too well on smaller babies). I started at 2 months (because Baby E used newborn for 2 months and I got gifted 2 cartons of that size disposable so I had to use it up). The buttons on the PUL are for adjusting size, as baby gets bigger you can unsnap them them to fit baby better. Thats why its called a One-size.

Thank u so much ma'am.i got 2 extra soakers apart from the ones that come with each of the diaper. Guess that shud serve abi?.
Do i wash d liners too? Or jus the insert n diaper??

Also when i start using if we are going out how many insert can i pack in the diaper bag for replacement ideally.

No vex for my plenty question.thank u for ur time. kiss
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 11:01am On Aug 22, 2016
rofemiguwa:

Thank u so much ma'am.i got 2 extra soakers apart from the ones that come with each of the diaper. Guess that shud serve abi?.
Do i wash d liners too? Or jus the insert n diaper??

Also when i start using if we are going out how many insert can i pack in the diaper bag for replacement ideally.

No vex for my plenty question.thank u for ur time. kiss

Depends on how long your waka is. I tend to overpack but most microfiber inserts (which is what you have) can absorb for 4 hours. I don't know about your brand but mine can. However i don't leave it on that long, I change every 2/3 hours (when she was younger, now we do 4 hours without me remembering). So pack like 3 full diapers and 2 extra inserts (assume that baby will poop and you will need to change everything). You probably won't use it all (I have never used up all my diapers on an outing).

Yes you wash the liners. Alphahandmaiden should know more about that, because I don't use those type of liners. But I think you do wash them. I was told by someone here that the liners used to be sold at PEP (but no more) and I know they sell them at Mothercare (at least the VI store has it).

And for those mums with cotton prefold inserts, or those using old school nappies, they sell really good diapers pins at Shoprite called "Snappi". Pic below.

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by AlphaHandMaiden(f): 11:13am On Aug 22, 2016
rofemiguwa:

This is a pic.

Cc alphahandmaiden

In addition to what Onegai has said, it seems you have disposable liners. I have what looks like the type in your picture and i would advise if it is just pee, hand wash it, you will get a longer use out of it. I machine washed a few of mine and it mostly does not survive past one rigorous machine wash, rinse and spin cycle!. All i do is rinse it out and use a squirt of handwash and rinse well.

There are other types that perform miles better and can take 5 or 6 machine washes before you will need to throw away.

If you want to get some search for ULTRA LINERS. They look like a thick roll of kitchen rolls but they are very very durable. Spurnlace liners are also good.

A cloth wipe can be anything you want it to be. From small pieces of towel fabric, to cut up recieving blankets. The ideal thing would be those very thin face towels they share as souvenirs at parties that everyone has a stack off but dont use much... cut them up and use them as wipes. If you have access to a sewing machine or even just needle and thread to hem the edges to prevent excessive fraying.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 11:25am On Aug 22, 2016
So for the wipes, you can use most cotton fabrics. Even an old t-shirt will work, cut it, double it and sew up the edges. Most efficient type is the Flannel-Terry cloth combo. Flannel, as in receiving blanket and Terry cloth (bath towel fabric) as in baby washcloth. That combo really grabs anything well and is so soft you can use it from birth. My mum, whom is critical of everything, really likes my wipes. We have never gotten poop on our hands when cleaning and I don't have to worry about using too many and wasting, since I will be washing and reusing them.

You don't use them dry, they should be wet. People use plain water to clean up. I use a mix of soap and oils. I use baby castile soap (but regular babywash will do), coconut oil and essential oil. Boil water, let it cool down, add a teaspoon of soap, 1 tablespoon of coconut or olive oil or any oil, 5 drops of essential oil (tea tree or lavender because they are antibacterial). Essential oil is really concentrated so only use a few drops and never directly use on skin. Mix them in the water and store in a bottle. I tend to mix maybe every 10 days (you don't want to make too much). And there's no alcohol or synthetic fragrance so it doesnt aggravate rashes. The quantity i have in my pic has lasted 1 year so far and can easily last me 2 more years except for the coconut oil and that's because we use it for other stuff as well. So it does save a bit of money i think.

I used N350 disposable wipes and it felt like plastic and the wipes because the packet can't be closed properly, can dry out before use. Tha best disposable wipes I've used were brands which are like N860 per pack. With this, I don't worry about how many I use.

2 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Jennykoko3009(f): 12:06pm On Aug 22, 2016
helovesme:

Get small ice block and place it on injected area regularly. The ice pack should reduce the sweeping and also ease her discomfort. If there's no improvement within 24hours, take her back to the hospital.

Thanks ma
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by kotias003: 1:20pm On Aug 22, 2016
Hello house,
Please I need help/ ideas how to make LO latch on and take breastmilk? I have to always express and then use cup & spoon to feed him, cause once I put nipple to his mouth he just cries and cries till he sleeps.
He's 9 days old.
Thank you!
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 2:22pm On Aug 22, 2016
kotias003:
Hello house,
Please I need help/ ideas how to make LO latch on and take breastmilk? I have to always express and then use cup & spoon to feed him, cause once I put nipple to his mouth he just cries and cries till he sleeps.
He's 9 days old.
Thank you!

There are some videos on YouTube about latching. Use your nipple to rub against his mouth till he opens up and then roll it in so that more of the bottom of your areola (the dark part) is in his mouth.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sayoddy(f): 3:39pm On Aug 22, 2016
Jennykoko3009:
pls don't use ice block or even massage it.
Nurses always tell us to nly place the area under running water for some minutes. Most babies react to the 6weeks injection onwards.

3 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 3:53pm On Aug 22, 2016
sayoddy:
Nurses always tell us to nly place the area under running water for some minutes. Most babies react to the 6weeks injection onwards.
Why? cos dapping of ice block is what the nurses lecture and not massage.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by rofemiguwa(f): 4:30pm On Aug 22, 2016
AlphaHandMaiden:

In addition to what Onegai has said, it seems you have disposable liners. I have what looks like the type in your picture and i would advise if it is just pee, hand wash it, you will get a longer use out of it. I machine washed a few of mine and it mostly does not survive past one rigorous machine wash, rinse and spin cycle!. All i do is rinse it out and use a squirt of handwash and rinse well.

There are other types that perform miles better and can take 5 or 6 machine washes before you will need to throw away.

If you want to get some search for ULTRA LINERS. They look like a thick roll of kitchen rolls but they are very very durable. Spurnlace liners are also good.

A cloth wipe can be anything you want it to be. From small pieces of towel fabric, to cut up recieving blankets. The ideal thing would be those very thin face towels they share as souvenirs at parties that everyone has a stack off but dont use much... cut them up and use them as wipes. If you have access to a sewing machine or even just needle and thread to hem the edges to prevent excessive fraying.

Thank u ma, will i wash d disposable liners before use?.i have like 300pieces. 25Piece each came with d diaper and i got extra fifty.
Is it with 30 degree hot water too like d diapers?

Thank u madam onegai and alphahandmaiden
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 4:37pm On Aug 22, 2016
rofemiguwa:

Thank u ma, will i wash d disposable liners before use?.i have like 300pieces. 25Piece each came with d diaper and i got extra fifty.

You wash them all at the same time. Anything diaper related gets washed at the same time, everytime. I wash all diapers, wipes and liners together. And wash clothes separately. The reason i said wash the diapers first is to clean them of anything, just like how you wash baby clothes after buying them. Don't wash your liners since they are the disposable type, start washing them after you use them. Cloth diapers are not stressful just that most people overthink them instead of realising it's exactly like regular baby clothes.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by AlphaHandMaiden(f): 5:28pm On Aug 22, 2016
rofemiguwa:

Thank u madam onegai and alphahandmaiden

You do not need to wash them before first use. Just wash the main wrap and insert/soaker. Then tear off the liners and put on top before you use. . If only pee, remove and hand wash, if poo remove and flush if it says its flushable.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by rofemiguwa(f): 9:34pm On Aug 22, 2016
Please mamas come to my aid o. My dd was bitten by mosquitoes while napping yesterday evening.i didn't cover her wit net cos i tot it wasn't night yet. I just pray se doesn't come down with fever.please the red bumps are unsightly.is there any ointment for fading it out.
Also any mosquito repellent cream i can use for babies.she is 3months.

Abeg help me.tanks

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by rofemiguwa(f): 10:30pm On Aug 22, 2016
rofemiguwa:
Hi mamas. I have lg twin tub 5kg washing machine for sale.it is brand new.i will be selling at give away price of 43 thousand. Please buyer must be resident in Lagos.

Please it is jus a onetime offer.a friend waants to dispose her wedding gifts as she needs space in her home.

All interested mamas should cc me.
Thank u.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by vinnorah: 3:53am On Aug 23, 2016
Pls I nid help my baby is 5months and six day but she is not adding wealth she was 3.5kg when I gave birth to her but she is just 4.2 I was told to give her Frisco gold wheat based is it ok for her pls I nid an answer

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Aim07(f): 6:44am On Aug 23, 2016
[quote author=rofemiguwa post=48718015][/quote]
cc rofemiguwa, is it a new washing machine or for how long has she been using it?
Which area of Lagos do u reside?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Amazing01: 6:52am On Aug 23, 2016
Good morning everyone.

1. Please can someone recommend a good children hospital in the ikeja axis. Ideally one that has a pedetrician.

And please not St. Ives. Had my ANC there but services were CRAP. Plus they have just general practioners and not specialist doctors.

Thank you
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Tojued: 7:08am On Aug 23, 2016
FexCathy:
Pls mamas what can I use for athletes foot in my 17 months old son. Still wondering how he got it because he is yet to walk fully on his own. Abeg Sabi mamas make una ans O!

Can be gotten from where he bathes.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Tojued: 7:17am On Aug 23, 2016
helovesme:

I wrapped icecubes inside a thin face towel
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Tojued: 7:22am On Aug 23, 2016
AlphaHandMaiden:

When using the cloth wipe you wet it with water first?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Tojued: 7:34am On Aug 23, 2016
AlphaHandMaiden:

Like how much does a one in all cost? I'm one if those too lazy to research.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Jennykoko3009(f): 9:35am On Aug 23, 2016
sayoddy:

shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Jennykoko3009(f): 11:55am On Aug 23, 2016
Pls mama zaynie, the sugar and oil recipe is it for cough and catarrh or only cough? Can below 2months baby take it?. …
Cc: zaynie and ofs sabi mamas
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by babythug(f): 3:16pm On Aug 23, 2016
Amazing01:
Good morning everyone.

1. Please can someone recommend a good children hospital in the ikeja axis. Ideally one that has a pedetrician.

And please not St. Ives. Had my ANC there but services were CRAP. Plus they have just general practioners and not specialist doctors.

Thank you

shepherd's children hospital is just off opebi road. you can check the place out.

(1) (2) (3) ... (583) (584) (585) (586) (587) (588) (589) ... (2515) (Reply)

Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.