Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,475 members, 7,819,733 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:57 PM

NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! - Health (651) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! (4408001 Views)

In Benue, Woman Delivers 6 Still-Born Babies (Graphic Pic) / SHOCKING PHOTOS: See Chinese People Kill And Eat New Born Babies / Are There Doctors For Newly Born Babies Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (648) (649) (650) (651) (652) (653) (654) ... (2515) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by iomoge2(f): 1:42am On Oct 03, 2016
BritneyStacy:

Mum can't find the share certificates....What do I do...?

Hmmm
Talk to the registras of the 2 places mum the shares from first.
Atleast with your full name.... Year of purchase.... they should be able to fish it out.
U can find them by contacting the organisations mum got the shares from.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by iomoge2(f): 1:45am On Oct 03, 2016
AlphaHandMaiden:

Due to them being pre term i would say let them reach 6 months before introducing any other forms of food.

With the 90 ml, is that what you prepare for them, or is that what they take when you prepare more. i.e if you make a 120ml bottle, 30 ml is left.
Babies cant talk so if what they are used to is 90ml . They will tend to take that and cry again much earlier than usual except they are really really hungry and may keep crying after the 90ml is finished
You can up the quantity and if they dont finish it at first give them a few minutes, burp them and offer the remaining to them. Even adults need to adjust belle sometimes to get more food in so its not unusual that babies may be the same.

About your friend and the vjay/post partum issue........all i will say is she needs to be categorised as a " take what she says with a pinch of salt or no salt at all" friend.

With their milestones, there is no reason they wont achieve them in due course. As with full term babies, everyone is different and will develope at different rates. However, If you are having any doubts or worries go see your peadiatrician.

Thanks 4 d bolded.
Learning.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Tojued: 1:48am On Oct 03, 2016
loistee:
pls what can I do to treat wound on my nipple I develop a wound due to my baby's sucking pls I need urgent remedy, then can I still continue breastfeeding with the crack nippleq tongue undecided embarassed embarassed. Thanks.

I normally use lansinoh lanolin but I don't know where you can get in naija. I bought on amazon and someone brought back for me.

Kpele. It's very painful but you have no option than to continue breastfeeding. I guess you can use ori or Vaseline instead, but make sure you wash off before feeding baby. The trick is prevent the crack from getting dry or it will get very painful. Rub on immediately after feeding baby.

Try and give the sore nipple a break, feed more from the other side for now while giving the ori or lanolin time to work. E.g feed three times from less painful side before feeding once from painful side. Don't worry about one boob getting bigger than the other for now.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Tojued: 1:54am On Oct 03, 2016
Drdreluv:
Oya give me names of formula

Oga the people who advised you already mentioned some names. Nan, lactogen, sma gold, Gerber, cow and gate, enfamil are some of the names I know. There are many different types just buy the one your pocket can carry. Keep in mind that you will probably need about four cans per month.

Also pick the number 0 or 1, it will be written 0-6 months on the can.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Tojued: 1:59am On Oct 03, 2016
BritneyStacy:
HELP! !!!!!! SOS. ....
Am not lactating well cry cry.... It's really bad! Am already feeling disappointed at my self and feeling like a failure.
Please who can link me up with some one who can supply me with fenugreek and saseme seeds or any other thing that can help me lactate well. ...
I beg !!!

(What other mamas have said already) and please you're not a failure. Why do you even think you're not lactating sufficiently? Is your baby peeing and pooping regularly? If yes than I think they're getting enough food.

My breasts don't look like I'm breastfeeding (two grandmas have said so), I can barely express more than 40ml per breast, but my baby poops at least three times daily and his weight chart is simply awesome.

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Tojued: 2:10am On Oct 03, 2016
AlphaHandMaiden:

Hi,

See previous post to a similar question quoted at the bottom of the page, Other coments in red withing your post below.

Cc adeime

Concerning taking expressed breast milk to creche I bought this tiny fridge on olx for 7k. Go to olx and search for fridge, then sort by price low to high. There are three: one is 3k and can take only one can/bottle, one is square, one is shaped like a football.

I bought the square red one it can take 2 big and 2 small avent bottles. I can certify it works well and is excellent for my purpose, but I've only used for one week so I can't vouch for durability.

I start cooling the fridge at home in the morning (in case no light at creche) then when leaving the house take out milk from main fridge and put inside. Then plug it in when I get to creche.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Tojued: 2:19am On Oct 03, 2016
Mommies please I want to start formula and I don't trust caregiver to correctly measure food for baby. Especially since they feed him with cup and spoon.

Is it possible for me to mix the bottles of formula down? With the fridge I described in earlier post I can then store the milk either hot (fridge also had warming function) or cold (then they heat in warm water like they're doing with breast milk now)

I would have loved to do 6 months exclusive, but pumping is not my strong point (don't want to get into sob stories here) so will be introducing formula at 16 weeks.

Cc onegai alphahandmaiden helovesme contem2011 rofegimuwa and all mamas that sabi!
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by farydah: 3:23am On Oct 03, 2016
Britneystacy regarding missing share certs, you get a police report, court affidavit and fill and indemnity form(provided by the registrars and sometimes counter signed by your bank) then write a letter requesting for a certificate reissue.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Adeime: 3:24am On Oct 03, 2016
Thank you mama ure ever supportive. God bless you. Amen
AlphaHandMaiden:

Hi,

See previous post to a similar question quoted at the bottom of the page, Other coments in red withing your post below.

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Adeime: 3:36am On Oct 03, 2016
Thank you mama I'm heading there right away. God bless you. Amen
Tojued:

Cc adeime

Concerning taking expressed breast milk to creche I bought this tiny fridge on olx for 7k. Go to olx and search for fridge, then sort by price low to high. There are three: one is 3k and can take only one can/bottle, one is square, one is shaped like a football.

I bought the square red one it can take 2 big and 2 small avent bottles. I can certify it works well and is excellent for my purpose, but I've only used for one week so I can't vouch for durability.

I start cooling the fridge at home in the morning (in case no light at creche) then when leaving the house take out milk from main fridge and put inside. Then plug it in when I get to creche.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by mamamj: 5:50am On Oct 03, 2016
Good morning mama's,happy new week. Pls my LO didn't sleep last night,she is having cold(cough and catarrh),I think I put the rechargeable fan too close to her cos there is no light to on AC,she is always sweating if I don't use fan or AC,pls what should I do abt the cold cos am so worried.She is 11weeks.thanks
Cc:onegai
Alphahandomega
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 7:18am On Oct 03, 2016
loistee:
pls what can I do to treat wound on my nipple I develop a wound due to my baby's sucking pls I need urgent remedy, then can I still continue breastfeeding with the crack nippleq tongue undecided embarassed embarassed. Thanks.

cc Tojued. Lansinoh is sold at Medplus and Healthplus pharmacies. Saw it like 2 weeks ago at the mall. In case you can't get that, can you try these tips from KellyMom (it is one of the best resources on Breastfeeding and is recommended by doctors). The authors suggest a saline solution, Lasinoh or pure lanolin and using your own breastmilk to heal the area and airing it. Loistee, I know someone who breastfed with cracked nipples and she said her baby drank like that with the blood!

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplehealing/
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by loistee: 7:19am On Oct 03, 2016
Tojued:

I normally use lansinoh lanolin but I don't know where you can get in naija. I bought on amazon and someone brought back for me.

Kpele. It's very painful but you have no option than to continue breastfeeding. I guess you can use ori or Vaseline instead, but make sure you wash off before feeding baby. The trick is prevent the crack from getting dry or it will get very painful. Rub on immediately after feeding baby.

Try and give the sore nipple a break, feed more from the other side for now while giving the ori or lanolin time to work. E.g feed three times from less painful side before feeding once from painful side. Don't worry about one boob getting bigger than the other for now.

OK thanks a lot.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by soonest(f): 7:28am On Oct 03, 2016
Tojued:
Mommies please I want to start formula and I don't trust caregiver to correctly measure food for baby. Especially since they feed him with cup and spoon.

Is it possible for me to mix the bottles of formula down? With the fridge I described in earlier post I can then store the milk either hot (fridge also had warming function) or cold (then they heat in warm water like they're doing with breast milk now)

I wouldn't advise mixing the formula down. Why not measure out the correct scoops in d bottles then you show the caregiver the mark to make up to. After mixing she can now feed with cup and spoon
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by AlphaHandMaiden(f): 8:07am On Oct 03, 2016
Tojued:

I would have loved to do 6 months exclusive, but pumping is not my strong point (don't want to get into sob stories here) so will be introducing formula at 16 weeks.

Cc onegai alphahandmaiden helovesme contem2011 rofegimuwa and all mamas that sabi!

I dont know about other brands but with aptamil i know they say discards after 2or so hours ( or is it 4 hours...sorry i cant remember) after preparation... it has to do with the powders not being sterile so the longer after you prepared it stays, the higher the chance of micro-organism growth.

I would say measure out the dry powder into the pre-sterilised bottles so all they need to do is to add warm water. Or room tetmperature water and pop into a cup of warm water. ( this is what i do when i am out and about. ) it also gives you the chance to give your own water either hot in a flask, or in a bottle (boiled and cooled).
Note: bottled water ( eva and like ) are not advisable for babies as they sometimes have a high level of added sodium during the manufacture. So use sparingly if you must.

It will be easier to use the correct sized bottles so they dont add too much water i.e. 4 scoops into a 120ml bottle, 5 into 150ml and 6 or 7 into a 210 or larger bottle. But if that means you have to go buy new bottles dont worry.
If you have the bigger bottles, Just use masking tape and a pen to mark the level that they need to add the warm water to.

You will have to change the tape everyday though but i will like to think you only need to do that the first few times /days when you just start the creche or when you increase the feed for the baby. After which the creche staff should have gotten the routine.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by limsycutey(f): 8:22am On Oct 03, 2016
Onegai:

Welcome, welcome, welcome.
Thanks mama.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Tojued: 8:34am On Oct 03, 2016
AlphaHandMaiden:

I dont know about other brands but with aptamil i know they say discards after 2or so hours ( or is it 4 hours...sorry i cant remember) after preparation... it has to do with the powders not being sterile so the longer after you prepared it stays, the higher the chance of micro-organism growth.

I would say measure out the dry powder into the pre-sterilised bottles so all they need to do is to add warm water. Or room tetmperature water and pop into a cup of warm water. ( this is what i do when i am out and about. ) it also gives you the chance to give your own water either hot in a flask, or in a bottle (boiled and cooled).
Note: bottled water ( eva and like ) are not advisable for babies as they sometimes have a high level of added sodium during the manufacture. So use sparingly if you must.

It will be easier to use the correct sized bottles so they dont add too much water i.e. 4 scoops into a 120ml bottle, 5 into 150ml and 6 or 7 into a 210 or larger bottle. But if that means you have to go buy new bottles dont worry.
If you have the bigger bottles, Just use masking tape and a pen to mark the level that they need to add the warm water to.

You will have to change the tape everyday though but i will like to think you only need to do that the first few times /days when you just start the creche or when you increase the feed for the baby. After which the creche staff should have gotten the routine.

@Soonest thanks for your advice.

@alphahandmaiden I love the masking tape idea. What water do you suggest I use? I thought trap water wasn't safe cos of flouride. I don't have access to borehole water so was thinking of using bottled water.

Wallahi breastfeeding is so easy!
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by feddy27: 8:35am On Oct 03, 2016
Tojued:

Get milk dispensers, measure out the appropriate quantities, put clean sterilised bottles and hot water in a flask for them. Show them the quantity of water to use per feed.

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by loistee: 8:50am On Oct 03, 2016
Onegai:

cc Tojued. Lansinoh is sold at Medplus and Healthplus pharmacies. Saw it like 2 weeks ago at the mall. In case you can't get that, can you try these tips from KellyMom (it is one of the best resources on Breastfeeding and is recommended by doctors). The authors suggest a saline solution, Lasinoh or pure lanolin and using your own breastmilk to heal the area and airing it. Loistee, I know someone who breastfed with cracked nipples and she said her baby drank like that with the blood!

Thanks ma u are a darling. Kisses from me and my baby to u.

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplehealing/
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by loistee: 9:08am On Oct 03, 2016
[quote author=loistee post=49872160][/quote]

@ Onegai Thanks ma u are a Darling.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by helovesme(f): 9:11am On Oct 03, 2016
Tojued

Alphahandmaiden has said it all. I usually discard mine after 4 hours. My son's nursery discards after 1 hour undecided lipsrsealed and will not accept any formula already prepared from home (they have their reasons as its so easy to give a baby unintentionally stale milk and you have parents that might have forgotten/mixed up the time the formula was prepared before bringing their child in).

I use this avent milk powder dispenser (see attached pictures) and I fill each section with the required number of scoops. To avoid under or over feeding, I label the lid with the required quantity (eg. 100ml). That way any of his caregivers know the required quantity to give him without referring to any paperwork or trying to remember the instructions I gave them.

Depending on the age of your baby and how many times he feeds while you are away, you might need two or three of the dispensers. It also saves you handing over your tin of formula to his caregiver.

The blue insert in the the storage container can easily be removed which means without the blue insert, you can use the container to package/store your baby's solid food, fruits, etc as soon as he's weaned.

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 10:21am On Oct 03, 2016
Tojued, if you can check the mall, GAME usually sells those measuring dispensing cups. I don't know if they have a GAME store in Abuja though. Or take a picture and check the markets.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by ayolight(f): 10:29am On Oct 03, 2016
[quote author=Onegai post=49861975]

oh wow. Pele. I'm guessing his body was fighting a strong infection and his white blood cells couldn't increase fast enough (an elevated white blood cell count shows an infection. Think of more police showing up after a riot or robbery). Use all those mucus sucking bulbs and gently extract it and don't steam him. Just feed him normally and try and give him breastmilk in addition to formula, that's all you can do. He should start gaining weight now the infection has been fought. Well done for catching it on time.

Respiratory Tract Infections are usually a cause of lack of weight gain in babies. I know Ayolight had that issue and won, so you're gonna be fine. Just keep monitoring him and if things still don't look good in 2 weeks, mention me here (my email is acting up as usual).[/quot
Yes, we fought and won. @ DANZAK. She has said it all. And pls dnt expose d baby to cold at all. U can also include Eucalyptus oil in her baby oil. Just a little can be added to d oil. Dnt forget, add just little quantity.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by limsycutey(f): 10:41am On Oct 03, 2016
Tojued:

Pertaining to measurements, you can get a formula dispenser and measure out the formula for each feeding yourself. There are different brands, they cost between 1000 and 1500.

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by limsycutey(f): 10:43am On Oct 03, 2016
Oh, just seeing other mamas already suggested formula dispenser...
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Tojued: 10:44am On Oct 03, 2016
feddy27:

Get milk dispensers, measure out the appropriate quantities, put clean sterilised bottles and hot water in a flask for them. Show them the quantity of water to use per feed.

Onegai, helovesme, alphahandmaiden thanks so much for helping me think straight. Actually I already have dispensers, but it would never have occurred to me to use them. I think I'm just totally muddled up at the moment.

I'll buy some extra ones and use masking tape on the bottles.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by olaoyekemi(f): 10:46am On Oct 03, 2016
Drdreluv:
Oya give me names of formula
Sorry sir just seeing this.
Depending on ur pocket we have,Nan1,Sma,similac,etc
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Gaily04(f): 12:09pm On Oct 03, 2016
cutiereborn:

PH city!

choi, see as i missed the parry. I was even looking for where to enter yesterday till i carry my legs reach house. See what failed data caused me. Anyway, wont mind tasting the cake.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by rofemiguwa(f): 1:16pm On Oct 03, 2016
Britneystacy,u r not a failure.some mothers dont lactate well.u may also be under lots of pressure to feed hence stress.
If u r in lagos.i can give uvsome of my fenugreek seed.i work at orthopaedic hospital igbobi.

Oistee.i used laniosh.my boss also got mothercare nipple cream for me very nice too.

I can give u one of the mothercare ones that i havent used yet.if u r in lagos o.

Sayyody. Pnemococcal vaccine is for pneumonia abi.

Tge guinea worm,what did dy tell u guys abt it.educate us more.

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by cutiereborn(f): 1:33pm On Oct 03, 2016
Double post
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by cutiereborn(f): 1:36pm On Oct 03, 2016
Gaily04:

choi, see as i missed the parry. I was even looking for where to enter yesterday till i carry my legs reach house. See what failed data caused me. Anyway, wont mind tasting the cake.
Eyaaa, Oya cut a slice!

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (648) (649) (650) (651) (652) (653) (654) ... (2515) (Reply)

Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.