Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,687 members, 7,809,597 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:47 AM

NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! - Health (648) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! (4391641 Views)

In Benue, Woman Delivers 6 Still-Born Babies (Graphic Pic) / SHOCKING PHOTOS: See Chinese People Kill And Eat New Born Babies / Are There Doctors For Newly Born Babies Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (645) (646) (647) (648) (649) (650) (651) ... (2515) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by loistee: 9:59pm On Sep 30, 2016
dexterush:

After washing the bottles,get a plastic bowl that has cover and can accommodate all,I use those transparent bucket like ones,fill it up ,pop one in,and put in the washed item. In fifteen minute time it should be ready.
And the solution can last up to 24 hours in case you want to sterilise more within the time frame.
The direction is also written on the body

Thank u ma I appreciate
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sugah: 10:48pm On Sep 30, 2016
evamum:

My Igbo/Ijebu self use customize pumping bra wink grin. What I did; make a small hole( just so the flange can pass through) in old bra, and warrah pumping bra is ready to use. grin

See below pix:
Tchai! Why did I not see your msg before I ordered mine? cry lemme see if I can cancel the order grin
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Amhappy(f): 11:15pm On Sep 30, 2016
FexCathy:

Its called eela/nla. My baby usually has it. Dey say it happens 2 fat babies or when the baby wants to gain weight(don't know how true it is anywayz). I changed his cream to coconut oil. Then like mummy2be said, get vegas and mix with baby tribotan. It worked for my son. The red leaf too works if u are able to get it.

Pls what's vegas
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 12:24am On Oct 01, 2016
mumsgirl27:
#cutiethread# Eyinitemi says Happy Independent day
This girl is just too fine

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by BritneyStacy: 4:28am On Oct 01, 2016
rofemiguwa:

Its kinyo.i bought both d pump n d bra from mothersbond.ng. u can google dem. They r based in festac i tink
Thanks for the response.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by BritneyStacy: 4:35am On Oct 01, 2016
rofemiguwa:

Haaa

Adeime I dunno if u have sent for d fenugreek.
I can give u some of mine.let u try if u will lactate more before u order urs.

Please the oats you eat, is it this regular oats sold in tin containers?
Also, can you give me the contact of the woman that supplies You fenugreek? Am interested. ...
Am obviously not lactating enough at 6weeks. The highest I get from my early morning pump is 170mls
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 7:24am On Oct 01, 2016
Good morning mamas! It's Saturday Morning Prayer time!

Happy New month and Happy Independence Day! May this be a month of wonderful blessings to us all. This is such a good time for all of us, may we and our children and families grow from strength to strength. We welcome our new mothers to our midst and we pray all goes well for you.

7 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 9:14am On Oct 01, 2016
Dear Lord, we are grateful to You that You have kept us and our families all through the year. Thank you so much for this! We are grateful for all the little miracles and the big miracles that every day for the past 10 months. We come to You humbly, asking that You forgive us our sins. Make us holy and one with You. Bring us closer to You. Make us proud and good mothers, faithful to all Your commandments.

Father, we specially pray today for our TTC mothers and our Mothers who have Special Needs children. We pray that You give them the strength they need to keep going every day. We know that though their path may be rough, but they will come to a place of peace with You.

Thank you Lord, for listening to us today. Amen.

10 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 9:44am On Oct 01, 2016
Today hopefully going to be an interesting day and I'd like us all to participate. We all have something to share. Today is Nigeria's Independence and the future of Nigeria is on this thread. And our children are in grave danger and only we can protect them and give them a brighter future. Topics discussed will include Money, Education, Finances, Morality and Volunteering. I wanted to move this to the Family Section but I think Mothers are the ones who will start the change, because a long time ago, a wise uncle told me children get their intelligence from their mothers. If you feel this would be better in Family Section, please let me know.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 10:06am On Oct 01, 2016
Money Matters

When I was in my mid-20s, I had a small crisis: everything that could go wrong, did. There I was, very broke. Barely N10,000 to my name. One day, I got an alert in my account: N150,000 deposited. Whom did I have to thank for it? My father.

You see, when each child was born, my father opened a bank account for us and bought shares in all the major companies: NBC, Guiness, CocaCola etc. When I was 7, he made me watch CNN with him. Some of it stuck. When I was an adult, one of those companies paid off something to do with my shares and I got an alert of N150,000 in my bank account.

What are you doing with your children's money? Do you have a bank account, are you buying Treasury Bills with it (the rates tend to be better than regular savings), when the economy improves will you be talking to a broker about shares and stocks? How about Insurance? I'll invite Rhukie on that one because she knows about it. I'm a fan of property purchase but you cannot predict the future: no point buying land for kids who may end up abroad. You can do it, my mum also used to help me buy.

Instead of throwing expensive birthday parties, that money may go a longer way in the future for your child.

16 Likes 11 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by rofemiguwa(f): 11:08am On Oct 01, 2016
Onegai pls how do u buy treasury bills.? How do you go abt it? Wanted to open savings account for my baby but u said treasury r better
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by ozycy: 11:17am On Oct 01, 2016
barag:

pls do you know how she made the groundnut paste? I'm interested. Thanks
No I don't, I will try and get the info if possible.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by ozycy: 11:18am On Oct 01, 2016
Doubledouble:

Mine hasn't changed taste too. Did she blend yours with butter?? Mine doesn't get hard though and is always in the refrigerator. Pls can you find out if she made it with water. I will put in the freezer...onegai also advised me on that. Thanks mama
I will try and find out.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 11:19am On Oct 01, 2016
Insurance is good for children, I work with Royal exchange as a marketer (also self employed) and people have started embracing it pretty well. I just opened an account now for my boy for five years and after that will re- invest same money again.

We deposit 7k for him monthly, this plan is called Heritage plan. I do investment plan for myself so that I can I have access to it every 2 years. I have wanted to talk about it here before but I don't want it to be as if am derailing the thread.

So many importance of Iife insurance that are beneficial to us but our Nigerian mentality has spoiled them. People now embrace it in my area and they are appreciating me for Introducing them to it, as they pay every month, they are getting their alert and I have people that their money have matured and they have withdrew it and re-invest again. All because of their children.

Family expenses can never end but only what you save for your children is their reward from you.

Anyone interested can contact me.

Also, if you are to buy any insurance policy make sure you do it with reputable company not the ones that cannot pay. Check their profile and capital base.

Am ready to answer any further questions.

11 Likes 6 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by ozycy: 11:23am On Oct 01, 2016
mumsgirl27:
#cutiethread#
Eyinitemi says Happy Independent day
Happy independence. See how this cloth fits her. That's just one thing I like about chubby babies.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 11:32am On Oct 01, 2016
Onegai:
Today hopefully going to be an interesting day and I'd like us all to participate. We all have something to share. Today is Nigeria's Independence and the future of Nigeria is on this thread. And our children are in grave danger and only we can protect them and give them a brighter future. Topics discussed will include Money, Education, Finances, Morality and Volunteering. I wanted to move this to the Family Section but I think Mothers are the ones who will start the change, because a long time ago, a wise uncle told me children get their intelligence from their mothers. If you feel this would be better in Family Section, please let me know.
Let's discuss it here please.

Happy independent to you lovely mamas.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 11:35am On Oct 01, 2016
Onegai:
Dear Lord, we are grateful to You that You have kept us and our families all through the year. Thank you so much for this! We are grateful for all the little miracles and the big miracles that every day for the past 10 months. We come to You humbly, asking that You forgive us our sins. Make us holy and one with You. Bring us closer to You. Make us proud and good mothers, faithful to all Your commandments.

Father, we specially pray today for our TTC mothers and our Mothers who have Special Needs children. We pray that You give them the strength they need to keep going every day. We know that though their path may be rough, but they will come to a place of peace with You.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 11:35am On Oct 01, 2016
Onegai:

Amen
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by iomoge2(f): 12:05pm On Oct 01, 2016
rofemiguwa:
Onegai pls how do u buy treasury bills.? How do you go abt it? Wanted to open savings account for my baby but u said treasury r better

T bills is better.
If there is money den do bonds... thats like d best.
Fed govt bonds.
u can do for 21years... 18years.... 10years ... 5 years... depending on u
This is part of what rich dad does 4 his son that poor dad doesnt do. When your child is of age. He can get his money.... and do what he likes ... by then he or ahe would be outta school or higher institution. Would also be a surprise.

T.bills can be gotten from ur bank.
Just get to the customer care. You will be asked to fund the account. Say your babies savings account. Then write an application for t.bills.

I think its 100k minimum
They will take the money. Pay u the interest immediately and at the end of the tenure return the money.
So u can request over and over again.
I think the rate is 11%annually.

So u can do for over 300days at a time.

Fixed deposit too is sweet.... just that the highest rate i think is 7% ( used to be higher b4 change era) and u must be fixing up to 5m for 180 days to get that.... why its sweet is the automatic rollover... like you dont have to keep asking.... they just continue fixing the amount.

T.bills still the best but is subject to approval from CBN after ur application is considered.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 12:16pm On Oct 01, 2016
rofemiguwa:

cc iomoge2

You get Tbills from your bank, write an application at the Customer Care desk. Open a Savings account for your child, you and Dad can be signatories till they are 18 years. That is the account the money for the bills will come from. The rates vary per session (it's different weekly, I got at 14% and the week before it was 8.5%). The length is determined by the current offer: 60 days, 180 days or 365days. Last year, Fixed Deposit rates were better than Treasury Bills rates. But Fixed Deposits are bank giving you rates. When you are getting some, ask the officer for a contact for a reputable firm of Investors. The stock market is volatile now, but it won't always be. Companies to look out for are the major ones: CocaCola, NBC, Nestle etc. You need an investment outfit to buy stocks in a particular company and they will issue share certificates and they pay from time to time. I know someone who bought stocks in StanbicIBTC before they went public and his teenager is now very comfy because they gained value. That boy has a financial headstart in life already.

When I was checking for bank savings account rates, it seemed Access Banks had better ones than GTB, but GTB had better online access. I work for neither banks. Any little money Baby E gets, I pay into her account because I want her to have a little savings as an adult and not have to start Life depending on her parents and hoping for a job desperately whilst broke.

Also, Comtem2011 and Rhukie seem to be able to explain the Insurance part.

Apart from these little investments, are there any other tips anyone can share?

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by helovesme(f): 12:52pm On Oct 01, 2016
Since we are talking finances, let me jump in grin

I find the money market investment fund managed by the investment company ARM, Nigeria very good. https://www.arminvestmentcenter.com/media/17923/mmf-faq_42.pdf

Their interest rate is almost as good as that of treasury bills, however, the major advantage is its flexibility.

Unlike tbills where you have to save or wait till when it's CBN's auction date, you can invest any amount of money at anytime into the fund. So for example, a day you have free 20k, you can just transfer it immediately into the fund and it accrues interest. There is also an online account which allows you to see all your transactions, etc. Another advantage is that your funds are accessible at anytime. So if there's a need for your funds urgently, the process to get your money is very straightforward.

Comtem2011 is right about taking up an insurance policy. Not only life insurance policy but also critical illness cover. Personally, I have one with a guaranteed payout of around 100m which is a very decent amount of money (if converted using the current exchange rate). I do pay a small monthly premium but it's still worth the potential payout. Why Nigerians shy from insurance, I do not understand.

Property is another smart one - no matter how small the land or house is. Buy, do all the required legal work and make sure it's well documented with the lands registry. Even if you do not live in it, rent it out.

Finally, if you are going to have a stash of money in an investment fund, a decent house, an insurance policy as well as several other investments, it's important to have a WILL drafted by a lawyer documenting your wishes on how the funds should be utilised. I have seen many cases where this hasn't been done and all the investments were mismanaged.

14 Likes 10 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 1:08pm On Oct 01, 2016
helovesme:
Since we are talking finances, let me jump in grin

I find the money market investment fund managed by the investment company ARM, Nigeria very good. https://www.arminvestmentcenter.com/media/17923/mmf-faq_42.pdf

Their interest rate is almost as good as that of treasury bills, however, the major advantage is its flexibility.

Unlike tbills where you have to save or wait till when it's CBN's auction date, you can invest any amount of money at anytime into the fund. So for example, a day you have free 20k, you can just transfer it immediately into the fund and it accrues interest. There is also an online account which allows you to see all your transactions, etc. Another advantage is that your funds are accessible at anytime. So if there's a need for your funds urgently, the process to get your money is very straightforward.

Comtem2011 is right about taking up an insurance policy. Not only life insurance policy but also critical illness cover. Personally, I have one with a guaranteed payout of around 100m which is a very decent amount of money (if converted using the current exchange rate). I do pay a small monthly premium but it's still worth the potential payout. Why Nigerians shy from insurance, I do not understand.

Property is another smart one - no matter how small the land or house is. Buy, do all the required legal work and make sure it's well documented with the lands registry. Even if you do not live in it, rent it out.

Finally, if you are going to have a stash of money in an investment fund, a decent house, an insurance policy as well as several other investments, it's important to have a WILL drafted by a lawyer documenting your wishes on how the funds should be utilised. I have seen many cases where this hasn't been done and all the investments were mismanaged.

This is something to definitely look into. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by hotmomma(f): 1:19pm On Oct 01, 2016
Helovesme, that y i always look forward to your comments. I think i need to bookmark this page. Pls don't run away again smiley

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by helovesme(f): 2:05pm On Oct 01, 2016
Onegai:

This is something to definitely look into. Thanks.

Thanks for bringing up the interesting topic. smiley

Shares should be the real MVP. Back then, it was the "go to" source of funds for Nigerian parents to pay for things such as private school fees, summer holidays, etc.

I remember a friend wondering how some "ordinary" looking families could afford the fees of private universities when they were first introduced. I told her that most of them were simply dumping their shares. Shares they bought many years ago.

I hope someday they return to the number one investment of choice. My biggest issue with the Nigerian stock market is that the shares of listed companies are over priced. I sometimes wonder how they come up with their valuation.

Who remembers the transcorp fiasco?? At the time the company did their share offering, the only "real" investment to their name was the Hilton hotel (which they acquired). Yet, they sold each share for over 40 naira and it was oversubscribed. They raked in so much money. I remember warning people close to me then to stay off transcorp. Today, I doubt if it's worth up to 2 naira per share. What happened to all their shareholders' funds Has anybody been held accountable?

hotmomma:
Helovesme, that y i always look forward to your comments. I think i need to bookmark this page. Pls don't run away again smiley

Yes ma. I no go run smiley Truth is that I have been busy. No more free time to debate ogi and cough syrup grin cool

3 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by zemaye: 2:07pm On Oct 01, 2016
Onegai
Helovesme
iomoge2
rofemiguwa
And all the lovely momma's and little cuties kiss
Una welldone o
I am having a nice read and thank you rofemiguwa for the bra, wow I never knew anything like that exists.
You are doing great and the breastfeeding advice is spot on. Especially breastmillk and stress or emotions !!!

3 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by feddy27: 2:49pm On Oct 01, 2016
Very enlightening discussions! I've learnt meaningful things this morning.

Many thanks to Onegai, comtem2011, iomoge2, helovesme. You ladies are amazing!

I was just thinking of what investment to put up for my children and I stumbled on these.

What investment options can yield an interest that will be used to fund summer holidays?

Comtem2011, the insurance bit for children; how does it work?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 4:31pm On Oct 01, 2016
Rofemiguwa, I recall that the documents needed to open an account was: 2 passport photos of baby, birth certificate, copy of IDs of both parents, NEPA bill and like N1,000. The bank will offer you their Children's account, which is a basic Savings Account with interest rate of 1%. The ARM fund helovesme mentioned sounds good and they're covered by the FG (which is good for consumer protection) and it starts from N5,000 and Comtem2011 can help out with REAN (I even remember their advert jingle from tv in those days grin). Cutiereborn, I'm mentioning you here because I'm sure Olivia will get cash gifts at her party tomorrow.

Other mums, please let's hear your voices, I think this is a good time to ask these important questions. Don't leave it to someone else, at least be informed. smiley I'm learning quite a bit too, so don't feel shy to ask any questions.

Zemaye, how's your baby? kiss

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by cutiereborn(f): 5:03pm On Oct 01, 2016
Onegai:
Rofemiguwa, I recall that the documents needed to open an account was: 2 passport photos of baby, birth certificate, copy of IDs of both parents, NEPA bill and like N1,000. The bank will offer you their Children's account, which is a basic Savings Account with interest rate of 1%. The ARM fund helovesme mentioned sounds good and they're covered by the FG (which is good for consumer protection) and it starts from N5,000 and Comtem2011 can help out with REAN (I even remember their advert jingle from tv in those days grin). Cutiereborn, I'm mentioning you here because I'm sure Olivia will get cash gifts at her party tomorrow.

Other mums, please let's hear your voices, I think this is a good time to ask these important questions. Don't leave it to someone else, at least be informed. smiley I'm learning quite a bit too, so don't feel shy to ask any questions.

Thank you for mentioning me, I have been too busy getting ready for tomorrow. I wouldn't have seen this because I would be too tired to read back. We have been talking about opening an account for her, but haven't gotten around it yet. This is just the spur I need. Here's hoping there will be lots of cash gifts*winks*
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by BritneyStacy: 5:17pm On Oct 01, 2016
I came to this conversation a bit late. Thank you mama's for raising the topic ...
I don't know if any mama here can help with advice or suggestions
My mum bought shares for me while in secondary school or so under the then Afribank and Union bank.....But she never got paid any dividends. Now I want to get the shares and dividends. How do I go about it. ....where do I start?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by zemaye: 5:32pm On Oct 01, 2016
Onegai:

Baby's doing great wink
Hope you are yours are bubbling cheesy.
Congrats on weaning o!
I hope you enjoy the relieve before another
Baby strikes! cheesy

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 5:50pm On Oct 01, 2016
BritneyStacy:
I came to this conversation a bit late. Thank you mama's for raising the topic ...
I don't know if any mama here can help with advice or suggestions
My mum bought shares for me while in secondary school or so under the then Afribank and Union bank.....But she never got paid any dividends. Now I want to get the shares and dividends. How do I go about it. ....where do I start?

You need to speak to an Investment firm. I know there used to be Union Registers in Apapa. Do you have any documents showing the purchase? If you go to your bank's Customer Care service people, they usually have links to Investment firms.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by maran1983(f): 6:13pm On Oct 01, 2016
Onegai, thank you for starting up this very educating and interesting topic.

My kids all have accounts in my bank, but with what I have read here, I think I'll pull all their funds out of the bank and save with ARM pensions since they are already my PFAs.

I was only last week introduced to Bonds but now I'm reading T bills are better.

I will definitely be talking to an investment broker after the holiday.

Thanks to contem, helovesme and co.

Onegai, concerning the other issue, I blocked him like I said I would. Counted my losses and moved on. My sister just sent me some books, so all is well.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (645) (646) (647) (648) (649) (650) (651) ... (2515) (Reply)

Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.