Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,774 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:38 PM

Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? (27185 Views)

Festival Of Fire @erema Community Of Onelga Lga, Rivers State(photos) / Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State / The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:18pm On Jul 13, 2012
brokoto: in response to NRIPRIEST, Omoku is the fastest growing town in Rivers State. it is second in development only to Port-harcourt. when i'm at home i prefer going to Omoku rather than staying in PH. you know why? because there we have 24hrs power supply free of charge. its no exaggeration. i stand corrected but i think that no other town or city can boast of that in Nigeria. so if you dont know who we are, i guess its your loss. you donot cover ignorance with insults, thank you.

Which can be more of an ignorance,not selling land to someone but giving out your daughter to them in marriage? I have never visited Rivers State and am not planning to ever set foot in Ogba or is Omoku....You have 24hrs electricity but are you paying for it?? I dont know who you are because you are insignificant! ! What have you achieved as a group that you can boast of?? You are scared of Igbos because you feel if you give them chance they will overrun you yet they have been your neigbhours for centuries and havent overran you yet. Now Igbos are marrying your women so we can buy lands in your place? That Igbo must be a retarded one!! I want you to remember that a good neighbour is better than a brother that lives in a foreign land... You guys are creating troubles for your future generation...Soon or later you ppl will definitely need the help of the Igbos because you are very small to stand alone.
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by Okijajuju1(m): 3:19pm On Jul 13, 2012
pazienza: By the way,i think nri priest is right,i don't really know why someone would like to buy land there, we don't really need these mushroom villages parading as tribes,they don't have what we need, what we lack as a nation is sea access, ogbaland is a landlocked bush,they have got nothing special to add to the great igbo nation,they need us more than we need them.

Na wah sha!!

Omoku Land locked?!! Dude go get your facts checked properly!! Nuff said!

Odenigbo Aroli:

Which can be more of an ignorance,not selling land to someone but giving out your daughter to them in marriage? I have never visited Rivers State and am not planning to ever set foot in Ogba or is Omoku....You have 24hrs electricity but are you paying for it?? I dont know who you are because you are insignificant! ! What have you achieved as a group that you can boast of?? You are scared of Igbos because you feel if you give them chance they will overrun you yet they have been your neigbhours for centuries and havent overran you yet. Now Igbos are marrying your women so we can buy lands in your place? That Igbo must be a retarded one!! I want you to remember that a good neighbour is better than a brother that lives in a foreign land... You guys are creating troubles for your future generation...Soon or later you ppl will definitely need the help of the Igbos because you are very small to stand alone.

Dude you sound bitter..

The Ogbas are not a bad set of people, and this Igbo thing is gonna die out with time.. I know for certain that they hate the Hausas more than they do the Igbos and lets not forget that Egbema Owerri and Egbema Omoku are one and the same!!

And your questions about Omoku are very ignorant.. They have achieved so much as a community to end up the second most developed town after Port Harcourt City.. I have plans of setting up a business base there because of the Electricity situation on ground there.. Free, 24hrs uninterrupted.. No jokes..

Before we fly off on each other, lets first of all find out the cause of this hatred (which I didnt know was this serious)..
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by NRIPRIEST(m): 4:38pm On Jul 13, 2012
@Okija juju, am not bitter but confused why we gather here to discuss ppl as insignificant as Omoku! We are not in the same level as them. We are the IGBOS mudafuker! Its an insult for that foool to come here I tell us Igbos marry their women just so we can qualify to buy land in their place! We dont need all these little overglirify villages seeking attention. We Igbos fought Nigeria and their westrrn allies for a brutal two years and look at us today. Whenever I remember I am Igbo my brain goes close to exploding! Let them keep their land but they should remember that time is a teacher.We dont need these ppl they are the ones that should be begging for our friendship. If you like cut off your d iick and plant it in Omoku land thats your business. Ekwusiam ka oram.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jul 13, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

first of all i didn't say i liked the land selling arrangement. but that is not a reason to start insulting my tribe. on the other hand it is people like you that make such laws seem wise in retrospect. the fact that we do have 24hrs free electricity, is it not a good thing? i bet you if even half of Nigeria can boast of 24hrs uninterrupted PAID electricity we would have been among the top 20 economy in the world. let me tell you why the Igbos are dying to buy our land: 1) it is very cheap compared to PH which is just a 75 mins drive away.
2) do you know what you can achieve in your business with 24hrs free electricity?
3) it is a fast growing town and i know many people would want to key in to such good opportunities especially the business minded Igbos.
it is unfortunate that such a law exists but considering people like you, i think it should remain for the time being. we are a small but strong tribe and we are proud to stand on our own without having to associate with a bigger tribe. thank you

1 Like

Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by bashr8: 4:46pm On Jul 13, 2012
brokoto: first of all i didn't say i liked the land selling arrangement. but that is not a reason to start insulting my tribe. on the other hand it is people like you that make such laws seem wise in retrospect. the fact that we do have 24hrs free electricity, is it not a good thing? i bet you if even half of Nigeria can boast of 24hrs uninterrupted PAID electricity we would have been among the top 20 economy in the world. let me tell you why the Igbos are dying to buy our land: 1) it is very cheap compared to PH which is just a 75 mins drive away.
2) do you know what you can achieve in your business with 24hrs free electricity?
3) it is a fast growing town and i know many people would want to key in to such good opportunities especially the business minded Igbos.
it is unfortunate that such a law exists but considering people like you, i think it should remain for the time being. we are a small but strong tribe and we are proud to stand on our own without having to associate with a bigger tribe. thank you
am hearing this for the first time, onelga people actually interact more with other igbos than ikwerres and we from anambra actually see them as imo people , i dont know when this law started but i know lots of anambra and imo buisness men that are setting up industries in onelga because of electricity and no they are not even married so i dont think this news is 100 percent correct .
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jul 13, 2012
NRI PRIEST: @Okija juju, am not bitter but confused why we gather here to discuss ppl as insignificant as Omoku! We are not in the same level as them. We are the IGBOS mudafuker! Its an insult for that foool to come here I tell us Igbos marry their women just so we can qualify to buy land in their place! We dont need all these little overglirify villages seeking attention. We Igbos fought Nigeria and their westrrn allies for a brutal two years and look at us today. Whenever I remember I am Igbo my brain goes close to exploding! Let them keep their land but they should remember that time is a teacher.We dont need these ppl they are the ones that should be begging for our friendship. If you like cut off your d iick and plant it in Omoku land thats your business. Ekwusiam ka oram.
i dont think you are confused at all. i have seen that you like insulting people you dont know but i would not come down to that level. it is not by force to comment on a topic. if you think that we are insignificant you can just pass by the thread without commenting. nobody is begging anybody for friendship here. everybody is proud of their tribe and i think that goes for virtually all tribes in this country. it is a fact that Igbos do marry our women so that they can buy lands. it is not an insult and personally, i think its a wise thing to do since it is a way to get around the law. before you insult me further try and get some facts concerning omoku or better still stop replying to this thread. thank you
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by bashr8: 4:54pm On Jul 13, 2012
by the way ndoni people(where peter odili is from) are ogbaru people and they are no different from their brother in anambra(atani,odekpe, ohita etc)
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jul 13, 2012
bashr8: am hearing this for the first time, onelga people actually interact more with other igbos than ikwerres and we from anambra actually see them as imo people , i dont know when this law started but i know lots of anambra and imo buisness men that are setting up industries in onelga because of electricity and no they are not even married so i dont think this news is 100 percent correct .
if they are doing that then it must be on rented land or leased land or they must have bought it through someone who is entitled to buy it so to speak which is unlikely. it is an unfortunate situation but you can agree with me that not all the laws in your hometown makes sense too. . .
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by bashr8: 5:04pm On Jul 13, 2012
brokoto: if they are doing that then it must be on rented land or leased land or they must have bought it through someone who is entitled to buy it so to speak which is unlikely. it is an unfortunate situation but you can agree with me that not all the laws in your hometown makes sense too. . .
its not about the law, some communities in anambra too dont sell land to strnagers outside their community , my point is lots of anambra igbos already own properties in the area so i dont think the law is that strong anymore. okigwe in imo state too refused to sell lands to outsiders thats why okigwe never dveloped till today.
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:04pm On Jul 13, 2012
brokoto: first of all i didn't say i liked the land selling arrangement. but that is not a reason to start insulting my tribe. on the other hand it is people like you that make such laws seem wise in retrospect. the fact that we do have 24hrs free electricity, is it not a good thing? i bet you if even half of Nigeria can boast of 24hrs uninterrupted PAID electricity we would have been among the top 20 economy in the world. let me tell you why the Igbos are dying to buy our land: 1) it is very cheap compared to PH which is just a 75 mins drive away.

I can careless if you sell land to Igbos or not because you are a "non factor" in Nigeria power play. Nigeria has 36 states and I will not invest in your land even if its the last place standing to invest in Nigeria! Yorubas,Hausas are more than willing to sell land to us. Secondly,we view ppl who sell their fathers lands as "ofekes" how much more to a stranger. You said you are a strong tribe and I wanna know what makes you strong...oh,i guess your popularity comes from not selling land to the Igbos. Tell me one great man from Omoku. This oil will finally run dry and we will see what you do next. You sell lands to people on the other side of the country but not your neigbhours who hasnt done anything to you? You scared of us cause we are industrious and can achieve more than those with oil in their land. Shame on you and your tribe! Lazy and weak nonentities!
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by bashr8: 5:12pm On Jul 13, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

I can careless if you sell land to Igbos or not because you are a "non factor" in Nigeria power play. Nigeria has 36 states and I will not invest in your land even if its the last place standing to invest in Nigeria! Yorubas,Hausas are more than willing to sell land to us. Secondly,we view ppl who sell their fathers lands as "ofekes" how much more to a stranger. You said you are a strong tribe and I wanna know what makes you strong...oh,i guess your popularity comes from not selling land to the Igbos. Tell me one great man from Omoku. This oil will finally run dry and we will see what you do next. You sell lands to people on the other side of the country but not your neigbhours who hasnt done anything to you? You scared of us cause we are industrious and can achieve more than those with oil in their land. Shame on you and your tribe! Lazy and weak nonentities!
take it easy , u dont have to get mad over it.its their land not yours.theres thousand of other communities accros nigeria , infact u never buyland for south east finish , enugu govt is begging people to come and buy land and develop , kwara and kogi are giving out land for free umahia, asaba etc are craving for development so theres enuogh to go round
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by ChinenyeN(m): 5:24pm On Jul 13, 2012
Lol at this topic.

If Omuku are so insignificant then why give yourself hypertension over them?

4 Likes

Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jul 13, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

i think you are blinded by either Hate, Jealousy or both and this will be my last reply to you. i wouldn't want to start insulting you too. the original post asked a question, someone saw my comment on another thread and realised i was from that town and asked me to clarify. i answered it to the best of my knowledge, check my previous posts. i haven't insulted anybody or tribe here and i'll continue to abide by my personal decision not to join the mass of nairalanders who do that. we donot have to prove anything to anybody anywhere at anytime. thank you

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by ChinenyeN(m): 5:31pm On Jul 13, 2012
brokoto: i think you are blinded by either Hate, Jealousy or both and this will be my last reply to you. i wouldn't want to start insulting you too. the original post asked a question, someone saw my comment on another thread and realised i was from that town and asked me to clarify. i answered it to the best of my knowledge, check my previous posts. i haven't insulted anybody or tribe here and i'll continue to abide by my personal decision not to join the mass of nairalanders who do that. we donot have to prove anything to anybody anywhere at anytime. thank you
*claps*

1 Like

Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:39pm On Jul 13, 2012
ChinenyeN: Lol at this topic.

If Omuku are so insignificant then why give yourself hypertension over them?

I dont have hypertenssion you miserable son of a ..... I am confused as to why they grew the balls to not sell lands to specificlly Igbos and why should we be worried about it. They even have a LAW in respect !
I swear Chinenye obulu na njilu nsi nga aku gia!
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by ChinenyeN(m): 5:49pm On Jul 13, 2012
NRI PRIEST: I dont have hypertenssion you miserable son of a ..... I am confused as to why they grew the balls to not sell lands to specificlly Igbos and why should we be worried about it. They even have a LAW in respect !
I swear Chinenye obulu na njilu nsi nga aku gia!
huh?

Anyway, it's not your problem. You yourself said you would never step foot in Omoku, so why scatter your brain over it? You sound unnecessarily frustrated by this simple issue.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:50pm On Jul 13, 2012
brokoto: i think you are blinded by either Hate, Jealousy or both and this will be my last reply to you. i wouldn't want to start insulting you too. the original post asked a question, someone saw my comment on another thread and realised i was from that town and asked me to clarify. i answered it to the best of my knowledge, check my previous posts. i haven't insulted anybody or tribe here and i'll continue to abide by my personal decision not to join the mass of nairalanders who do that. we donot have to prove anything to anybody anywhere at anytime. thank you

I guess you are a "born again christian"...Abeg go sit your a..ss somewhere because you are running dry... You dont have to prove anything because you have absolutely nothing to prove. And you said am jealous or hateful ? And I wanna know why I will be jealous or hateful of place I have never been to or meet her ppl. Come to my hometown Umuoji and maybe you are the one that should be jealous or hateful... And guess what,we dont sell land to non Umuojians not even for a billion dollars. Get da fhuck out you decendant of a weak man!
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by pazienza(m): 5:55pm On Jul 13, 2012
Ogbaland has no access to the sea, what else can they add to the great igbo nation that we don't already have in excess? We should stop giving these mushroom tribes the attention they crave for.
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:56pm On Jul 13, 2012
ChinenyeN:
huh?

Anyway, it's not your problem. You yourself said you would never step foot in Omoku, so why scatter your brain over it? You sound unnecessarily frustrated by this simple issue.

Am tipsy,happy and blowing smokes on a cool rainy day...Why would I be frustrated over a trivial matter as this. Dont get angry at me because I didnt make you Ngwa. God for reasons best known to him made you one !
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by ChinenyeN(m): 5:58pm On Jul 13, 2012
NRI PRIEST: Am tipsy,happy and blowing smokes on a cool rainy day...Why would I be frustrated over a trivial matter as this. Dont get angry at me because I didnt make you Ngwa. God for reasons best known to him made you one !
Now you're just not making any sense. What does Ngwa have to do with your issues with Omoku?
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by NRIPRIEST(m): 6:02pm On Jul 13, 2012
ChinenyeN:
huh?

I dont expect you to know the part you bolded and I dont have the willingness to translate it to you,either. Keep fooling yourself!
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by NRIPRIEST(m): 6:07pm On Jul 13, 2012
ChinenyeN:
Now you're just not making any sense. What does Ngwa have to do with your issues with Omoku?

Why are you always pulling your own ppl down? Is it for attension or you are just unsure about your Igboness? I can see you are an intelligent guy but why not put it in the betterment of the collective Igbo agenda ?
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by Okijajuju1(m): 7:09pm On Jul 13, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

One great man from Omoku Professor Claude Ake .. Chief Victor Masi former minister of finance... Amongst others... If the oil runs out, they have a shit load of oil.. The Obite gas project is a multi billion dollar investment and one of a kind in Nigeria.. They are a great tribe, that's not in dispute... A great small town, also not in dispute.. However, if this is indeed a law, them I am unaware of it and must say is very disturbing.. Investment opportunities in Omoku are endless and such a law would only hurt them as the Igbos are very industrious
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by Okijajuju1(m): 7:11pm On Jul 13, 2012
pazienza: Ogbaland has no access to the sea, what else can they add to the great igbo nation that we don't already have in excess? We should stop giving these mushroom tribes the attention they crave for.

On this you are very very wrong... VERY!
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by Abagworo(m): 10:59pm On Jul 13, 2012
The problem Igbos have and will always have is the difference in ideology between North, South and South-South. The North is conservative while the South is liberal. The South South is proud because of earlier interaction with Europeans but seem to intermarry and coexist peacefully with South .While the North does not see any fraternity with the SS, the South has obvious fraternity with them.
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by ezeagu(m): 11:11pm On Jul 13, 2012
And the West, apart from Asaba is missing in action.
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by Abagworo(m): 11:59pm On Jul 13, 2012
ezeagu: And the West, apart from Asaba is missing in action.
Aniocha and Oshimili seem to be free of identity crisis.
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by pazienza(m): 12:15am On Jul 14, 2012
Okija_juju:

On this you are very very wrong... VERY!

Are are u saying that Ogbaland has access to the sea without passing through ijawland?
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:30am On Jul 14, 2012
Okija_juju:

One great man from Omoku Professor Claude Ake .. Chief Victor Masi former minister of finance... Amongst others... If the oil runs out, they have a shit load of oil.. The Obite gas project is a multi billion dollar investment and one of a kind in Nigeria.. They are a great tribe, that's not in dispute... A great small town, also not in dispute.. However, if this is indeed a law, them I am unaware of it and must say is very disturbing.. Investment opportunities in Omoku are endless and such a law would only hurt them as the Igbos are very industrious

Where do you actually stand? Proffesorship doesnt equal to greatness and neither does having oil in your land make you great! Look at Saudi Arabia and the Emirates they are controlled by the west and the Americas. I am actually glad we dont much oil compare to the SS because that would have end up making us to relax and in the long run lazy like most SS groups with oil. We will use the ones God has given us to build the necessary infrastructure to drive development and complement the industrious drive of the IGBO. Again what make Omoku a great tribe removing the oil??
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by MrEverest(m): 1:07am On Jul 14, 2012
brokoto: first of all, i want to say that i was invited into this post by Afam4eva. secondly, i'm from Omoku town and what the poster posted is true. unfortunate but true. i donot know how the tradition came about but i have known from childhood that the Omoku people do not sell lands to the Igbos. in response to Onenaira, if you are from Delta State, we would not count you as an Igbo man. so Chinenye is Right in that aspect.
although, the Igbos are getting wiser now by marrying Omoku wives and buying properties in their wife's name which to me is good. now dont you guys think its quite a foolish, outdated tradition? you cannot sell them lands but you can allow them marry your daughters. . .
anyway, from what my Late Mom told me, we originated from Benin and there is this distrust we have for Igbos and we are scared of them overrunning us in our land. i hope i have not insulted anybody with this. onenaira, now you have your proof!
This stupid village called Ogba or is it Omoko, whateva, must be filled wit non-entities, imagine such stupid logic dat they are afraid the Igbos will overrun them, yet they still marry each since centuries ago! Then d most ridiculous of all, he said dat Igbos will marry their women in order 2 hav d priviledge 2 buy dea land! Who the hell are these zombies? Peeps that ordinarily shud see themselves priviledged 2 be called Igbos, in which sphere of life hav they excelled either individualy or collectively, what resources do they hav? Oil and gas right? Then are they diff from the ones found in Abia, Imo, Delta etc? Igbos shud place an embargo on dis folks if need be, i for one wud never hav anything 2 do wit them if i find out dat dis jargon is fact. Arant nonsense!
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by MrEverest(m): 1:14am On Jul 14, 2012
Abagworo: The problem Igbos have and will always have is the difference in ideology between North, South and South-South. The North is conservative while the South is liberal. The South South is proud because of earlier interaction with Europeans but seem to intermarry and coexist peacefully with South .While the North does not see any fraternity with the SS, the South has obvious fraternity with them.
Your postulation is hazy. I cud'nt grasp ur point!
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by MrEverest(m): 1:24am On Jul 14, 2012
Okija_juju:

those names you mentioned dont ring a bell, dea are hundreds of profs in Mbaise not 2 talk of Imo state, so what made his unique? I dont even understand u, Arusi Okija, u seem 2 be supporting these ignorant nonentities!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom / Ooni Of Ife Hosts American Delegates At His Palace In Osun State. Photos / Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.