Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,634 members, 7,809,379 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:30 AM

Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History (27240 Views)

The Liars Are At Work, Trying To Confuse Us Of Our History, Wake Up!!! / Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East / The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 6:32am On Nov 06, 2014
Africans never traded slaves all slaves were kidnapped by the white man at gunpoint.

People should start analysing the history they are given about Africa, was the history not given to us my the white man that colonised us.

Our people who are descendants of those stolen from Africa, must stop believing they were sold.

During colonial days all Africans were considered slaves by the white man not just those shipped abroad. Why a slave master would buy slaves from their own slaves.

Why would the white man buy something that he could just simply take by force?

A simple bit of questioning and deeper thinking and analysis would soon lead one to conclude that the lie that Africans traded slaves is just not credible, especially when you remember that it is the white man's history that Africans at home and abroad were taught.

Africans were victims of genocide we never considered ourselves as slaves. We never agreed to be slaves so we reject the label of Slave. We are victims of genocide and those who called us slaves better stop using that term to describe us. It is derogatory and painful to hear. Let them stop reminding us of the genocide the committed unless it is to apologise or pay reparations.

Why do they not refer to the english being slaves of the Roman's or the jews being slaves of the nazi's .Well white man must stop wounding Africans by gloating at the genocide you committed, by constantly mentioning a genocide that you are refuse to apologise for.

Call me slave and I would call you slave back - Nonsense!!

update: 15th November 2014
If you do not hear from me in the next few weeks it probably because NL has banned me because I cannot stop saying that Ebola and HIV are hoax designed to ultimately lead us into fearfully rushing to take vaccines that would depopulate us. If the vaccines do not kill you directly it would make you infertile preventing you from reproducing.

Be rest assured that all the doctors and nurses reportedly killed by Ebola in Nigeria are paid actors who are laying low and enjoying their money as we speak.

These are the evil European and American enemies that we are allowing to write a shameful and dishonourable history for us.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 5:54am On Nov 08, 2014
undecided
Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by HumbledbYGrace(f): 9:50am On Nov 08, 2014
But then black people were always hating on each other.....they too still wanted to enslave each other. Slavery wasn't just a white man's thingy. If that was the case I don't think anybody would have left wherever she/he came from.

I grew up in my mother's land of birth, their history isn't told by white people, its been told from generation to generation by Basotho what White people came to do was to lend a helping hand so that we could share it with others by re-writing it.

2 Likes

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 5:16pm On Nov 08, 2014
But all you are repeating is what the white man wants you to believe is our history.

It is the white man's plan to get black people hating on each other by mis-educating blacks to believe that we enslaved each other.

Naturally like every other race blacks had wars and conflict and may have kept prisoners of war for duration of wars but they were not slaves.

You cannot call prisoners of war slaves.

What you say in the bolded below is just outrageous.

It is wicked to commit genocide against a people and then mis-educate them to acquire the responsibility and guilt for the genocide that was committed against them.

Do you know that Neo-colonialism is real?

Does the fact that Africa is still being exploited economically not tell you that white man is you enemy and he never intends to help you, his intention is to destroy you.

"The greatest weapon of an oppressor is the minds of the oppressed"

HumbledbYGrace:
But then black people were always hating on each other.....they too still wanted to enslave each other. Slavery wasn't just a white man's thingy. If that was the case I don't think anybody would have left wherever she/he came from.

I grew up in my mother's land of birth, their history isn't told by white people, its been told from generation to generation by Basotho what White people came to do was to lend a helping hand so that we could share it with others by re-writing it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 10:26pm On Nov 08, 2014
The op actually raised a very good point, by highlighting the rarely acknowledged fact that the story we get about slavery is actually the white man's account. I'm not aware of any African derived historical accounts - written or oral - which state categorically that Africans sold slaves to the whites. It is books written by foreigners that make this claim. How do we know they're telling the truth? Do we actually trust them to tell the truth, and if so, why?

Why would a ship armed with cannon and mortar stop at a coastal village and look to buy anything when they could simply order the local king or chiefs to supply a given number of young adults or face instant annihilation?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 10:47pm On Nov 08, 2014
Absolutely.

This video is long (1hr) but is very good at making the case that Africans were not complicit in the genocide against them.

If you cannot watch it I could transcribe parts of what the narrator was saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtsiHL2zoNI&list=PLRzmuN0KKXK-WIR-BKAd0gBxB7YIUepyl&index=28
ROSSIKE:
The op actually raised a very good point, by highlighting the rarely acknowledged fact that the story we get about slavery is actually the white man's account. I'm not aware of any African derived historical accounts - written or oral - which state categorically that Africans sold slaves to the whites. It is books written by foreigners that make this claim. How do we know they're telling the truth? Do we actually trust them to tell the truth, and if so, why?

Why would a ship armed with cannon and mortar stop at a coastal village and look to buy anything when they could simply order the local king or chiefs to supply a given number of young adults or face instant annihilation?
Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:01pm On Nov 08, 2014
Do you have any evidence that slaves were not sold to the white man or do you simply ignore it because it's an inconvenient truth? Slave traders were little more than merchants. They were not an army of professional soldiers. They didn't conquer lands and seize communities to be sold in slavery. Greedy black men sold and condemned their brethren to slavery in a foreign land. It's not exactly difficult to believe considering the way greedy black men persist in modern times to allow their myopic greed to inhibit their development. If that weighs heavily on your conscience and doesn't fit into your delusional Afrocentrism, that's your problem really. The facts remain what it is. If you don't like the white man's history, write yours.

4 Likes

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by mrofficial(m): 12:47am On Nov 09, 2014
ROSSIKE:

And in what currency and what would they do with the money? grin

2 Likes

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 1:09am On Nov 09, 2014
interesting you are now asking us to provide evidence.
But you have never asked the people telling you that we enslaved ourselves to provide evidence.

That is your starting point locate any evidence that has been provided to validate the claim that Africans sold themselves.

Common sense should tell you that nobody willingly commits genocide against themselves.

Common sense should tell you that white man with history of centuries of war conquest and taking over people's land would not arrive in Africa with all their military weapons and then start buying slaves.

Why buy Africans when you can just capture them by force? Their story when given some thought is just not credible given what we know about the history of Europeans.

Obi1kenobi:
Do you have any evidence that slaves were not sold to the white man or do you simply ignore it because it's an inconvenient truth? Slave traders were little more than merchants. They were not an army of professional soldiers. They didn't conquer lands and seize communities to be sold in slavery. Greedy black men sold and condemned their brethren to slavery in a foreign land. It's not exactly difficult to believe considering the way greedy black men persist in modern times to allow their myopic greed to inhibit their development. If that weighs heavily on your conscience and doesn't fit into your delusional Afrocentrism, that's your problem really. The facts remain what it is. If you don't like the white man's history, write yours.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 1:19am On Nov 09, 2014
Obi1kenobi:

Are you a white person by any chance?

1 Like

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by onitshaigbo(m): 3:29am On Nov 09, 2014
I beg to differ with this. It is not all kumbaya in Africa and it wasn't before. Tribes often hated each other far more than they would hate outsiders (whites or Arabs). Some tribes in Southwestern Nigeria grew rich from the slave trade, so imagine that. I'm not saying oyibos are blameless or that they didn't kidnap any slaves. I'm just saying the lack of a unified African identity would prevent one tribe from caring about the fate of an enemy tribe.

5 Likes

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 6:15am On Nov 09, 2014
What I am trying to tell you is that what you are saying is your history that has been written for you by the whiteman. There has never been any independently verifiable evidence to support this charge.

Do you realise how serious it is to commit genocide against a people and then brainwash them to believe that they were 50% responsible for their genocide?
How does that make African descendants of slaves feel to believe that we sold them willingly?

How does it make us feel about our wise honourable ancestors who end up looking untrustworthy, greedy and foolish?

The Caucasian is very calculating and he during colonial times controlled the history we were taught. This ensures that there will be continuing distrust between Africans and descendants of African forcefully taken from Africa by the Caucasian.
How does all this make us feel as negro people?

Pretty awful really - there is just nothing positive that is in this Caucasian version history for us.

Do you know what? The white man would not even let us forget it. Every few years they would bring out a new movie propagating the same lie they wrote into our history books.
Every year to ensure that our young generation learn the same lie with events under "Black history month"

We need to rid ourselves of this unwarranted guilt because you cannot be guilty until evidence has been supplied to prove your guilt in a court of law.

We must clear the good name our great and honourable ancestors of this lie that has been perpetrated against their good character.

We have never seen any records kept by our ancestors where they indicated that they were enslaving themselves before the arrival of the Europeans.

We must reject the white man version of history even if it means we have no history. The Caucasian cannot hide the fact that he committed genocide against us.

He must answer for that charge alone until he can provide concrete prove that we were complicit in the genocide that we suffered.
onitshaigbo:
I beg to differ with this. It is not all kumbaya in Africa and it wasn't before. Tribes often hated each other far more than they would hate outsiders (whites or Arabs). Some tribes in Southwestern Nigeria grew rich from the slave trade, so imagine that. I'm not saying oyibos are blameless or that they didn't kidnap any slaves. I'm just saying the lack of a unified African identity would prevent one tribe from caring about the fate of an enemy tribe.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 9:10am On Nov 09, 2014
onitshaigbo:
Tribes often hated each other far more than they would hate outsiders (whites or Arabs). Some tribes in Southwestern Nigeria grew rich from the slave trade.

Where is your evidence for all these claims? What do you mean by ''tribes'' anyway? I find it a very insulting colonial term. Any alleged ''hatred'' and suspicion within the African groups could itself have been caused by the fact they were forced to raid each other for captives due to the threats made by the berthing ships. Look, the minute you have a well armed ship (or ships) berthed at a pre-industrial coastal African village, there's only one way the tale is going, and that is the way of the ships. It's the same thing today. He who has the might runs things. Dictates things. There was no question of the Africans prevailing against this onslaught. Indeed, even if they ended up 'selling each other', it was a way of negotiating from their position of military weakness. The weakness of the 'selling' theory of course is that it relies too much on an uncharacteristically altruistic - even noble - behaviour of the Europeans, in actually wishing to engage in 'trade' with them. The genocides committed against the New world populations by Columbus and his gang, among other European outrages, fly in the face of any alleged civility in their encounters with African populations.

2 Likes

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by paniki(m): 9:56am On Nov 09, 2014
History keeps repeating itself:

Black people continue to willfully leave their comfortable lives in Africa to go enslave themselves in white man's land.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 10:02am On Nov 09, 2014
paniki:

Black people continue to willfully leave their comfortable lives in Africa to go enslave themselves in white man's land.
Africa has 1.2 billion people. How many of those have ''gone to enslave themselves in the white man's land''? Probably less than 0.0001%. I don't see your point.

1 Like

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 10:31am On Nov 09, 2014
We are still being economically enslaved in our own land today.

paniki:

1 Like

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 10:47am On Nov 09, 2014
Gbam!

Definition of slave: A person who is the legal property of another and is forced to obey them.

Well even the white historians never indicated thatslavery was ever written into law in Africa, whereas in Europe they wrote it into law.

This is another indication that slavery was not legal in Africa and it was therefore a criminal act in Africa.

ROSSIKE:

Where is your evidence for all these claims? What do you mean by ''tribes'' anyway? I find it a very insulting colonial term. Any alleged ''hatred'' and suspicion within the African groups could itself have been caused by the fact they were forced to raid each other for captives due to the threats made by the berthing ships. Look, the minute you have a well armed ship (or ships) berthed at a pre-industrial coastal African village, there's only one way the tale is going, and that is the way of the ships. It's the same thing today. He who has the might runs things. Dictates things. There was no question of the Africans prevailing against this onslaught. Indeed, even if they ended up 'selling each other', it was a way of negotiating from their position of military weakness. The weakness of the 'selling' theory of course is that it relies too much on an uncharacteristically altruistic - even noble - behaviour of the Europeans, in actually wishing to engage in 'trade' with them. The genocides committed against the New world populations by Columbus and his gang, among other European outrages, fly in the face of any alleged civility in their encounters with African populations.
Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Obi1kenobi(m): 6:42pm On Nov 09, 2014
GenBuhari:
interesting you are now asking us to provide evidence.
But you have never asked the people telling you that we enslaved ourselves to provide evidence.
Again, where is your own alternate history and evidence? You're the one that is refuting a version of history with zero evidence. Common sense (which you keep talking about) dictates that millions of people couldn't have been shipped across the Atlantic in slavery by merchants without active connivance with locals.

That is your starting point locate any evidence that has been provided to validate the claim that Africans sold themselves.
Locate any evidence which states otherwise. Even the slaves themselves know who sold them out and our own historical accounts indicate conquered communities were often sold out as slaves to slave traders by their conquerors.

Common sense should tell you that nobody willingly commits genocide against themselves.
Is this a joke? Are modern human traffickers commiting genocide against themselves? Are you applying your own rationale to slave traders looking for a profit at any cost? If some Jews (one of the tightest-knit groups on earth) could conspire with the Nazis in the Holocaust, there's no evil beyond man on earth.

Common sense should tell you that white man with history of centuries of war conquest and taking over people's land would not arrive in Africa with all their military weapons and then start buying slaves.
That's nonsense. The path of least resistance appeals to every man. There was plenty of trade between colonies and their colonial masters. They didn't just jump into their colonies and start carting off resources. Where possible, it was always important for them to maintain diplomatic civil ties with their colonies. How do you think a small country like Britain came to control much of the continents and the world's seas? You think it was all through brute force? Think again.

Why buy Africans when you can just capture them by force? Their story when given some thought is just not credible given what we know about the history of Europeans.
Because it's easier to buy them than invading communities. If you think they landed on our shores and rounded up millions of people into slavery, you need to do a little more research. They did it with the complicity and connivance of greedy black men. That's a fact.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by HumbledbYGrace(f): 7:07pm On Nov 09, 2014
^ ^ ^ ^

Thanks

Op I think you need to read, do a lot of reading or atleast visit your villages Maybe you can find some information there?

And we still have history repeating itself! Are you a nigerian? How many people sell their children into slavery abroad for money Everyday

The rituals

Slavery didn't come with white men please.

Shakazulu often made slaves the hostage he seized from wars and most of them were his kinsmen unless I am wrong somewhere?

See black people are not stupid. I still repeat, we tell our own stories, white men came with an easy way of sharing it that's all.

1 Like

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 7:36pm On Nov 09, 2014
Normal human reaction to aspects of their history they are not comfortable with: Tweak it. Make it look like every unpleasant episode was entirely the fault of the other.

1 Like

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by onitshaigbo(m): 8:14pm On Nov 09, 2014
ROSSIKE:

By "tribes", I mean the independent groupings of people in Africa, often sharing the same language, customs, and leadership. It's not an insulting term at all. In fact, the ancient Romans were organized in "tribes", each represented by the "tribune". Stop being so sensitive.

I find it extreme condescending that you're implying that only whites can enslave and sell slaves, as if there are fundamental spiritual/morla differences between them and Africans, when it is common knowledge that race is only a social construct, and that skin color exists in a continuum from Africa to Europe to Asia.

2 Likes

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 9:46pm On Nov 09, 2014
ROSSIKE:

We should also ask, And where did the wealth derived from selling them go to? It would seem the trade only benefited the buyer.
Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 10:02pm On Nov 09, 2014
onitshaigbo:

By "tribes", I mean the independent groupings of people in Africa, often sharing the same language, customs, and leadership. It's not an insulting term at all. In fact, the ancient Romans were organized in "tribes", each represented by the "tribune". Stop being so sensitive.

I find it extreme condescending that you're implying that only whites can enslave and sell slaves, as if there are fundamental spiritual/morla differences between them and Africans, when it is common knowledge that race is only a social construct, and that skin color exists in a continuum from Africa to Europe to Asia.
Race is more than a social construct. Its more about bloodlines and the earthly heritage of groups of people, or tribal groups. It will dictate your Priviledges, quality of life, and in the preceding life, freedom. Thats what its always been about- my tribe/people against the other. Its the white tribe against the black, yellow, brown and red tribes. Race is EVERYTHING.

1 Like

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 10:06pm On Nov 09, 2014
HumbledbYGrace:
^ ^ ^ ^

Thanks

Op I think you need to read, do a lot of reading or atleast visit your villages Maybe you can find some information there?

And we still have history repeating itself! Are you a nigerian? How many people sell their children into slavery abroad for money Everyday

The rituals

Shakazulu often made slaves the hostage he seized from wars and most of them were his kinsmen unless I am wrong somewhere?

See black people are not stupid. I still repeat, we tell our own stories, white men came with an easy way of sharing it that's all.

Why would Shaka Zulu be at war with his kinsmen? Aren't they members of one kingdom?

1 Like

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 10:07pm On Nov 09, 2014

2 Likes

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 10:17pm On Nov 09, 2014
Lakesider25:
I guess white people are responsible for the baby factories,maltreatment of house slaves,child hawking and child labor you guys have over there . undecided
You would be surprized.
Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 1:34am On Nov 10, 2014
My evidence is simply that there is no independently verifiable evidence provided by earliest (white) historians to support to support their clain that Africans sold themselves as slaves to Europeans.

No Evidence exists other than taking the word of the same caucasians that committed genocide against us.

There has never been anybody ever mention an African word for slave - it would seem Africans do not even have a word for slave.

It is unlikely that millions were shipped. The caucasians also shipped women and children so that they could breed the Africans captured.
In any case captured Africans were shipped over centuries.

As muafrika asked, where is all the wealth derived from the proceeds of selling the slaves? surely unless you see your ancestors as complete morons, if they had sold that many people then they must be some visible financial wealth evident from the proceeds of the sales.
Obi1kenobi:

Again, where is your own alternate history and evidence? You're the one that is refuting a version of history with zero evidence. Common sense (which you keep talking about) dictates that millions of people couldn't have been shipped across the Atlantic in slavery by merchants without active connivance with locals.

I have told you that there is no evidence (other than history books written by the people who committed the crime) to prove that Africans participated in the genocide committed on them.

You mention our own historical accounts indicate Africans traded themselves as slaves, but where is your source let us see these historical account that has been written by us, independently of the white man.

You say even the Africans shipped, knows who sold them, then provide your evidence that they know.
Locate any evidence which states otherwise. Even the slaves themselves know who sold them out and our own historical accounts indicate conquered communities were often sold out as slaves to slave traders by their conquerors.

Well, by believing the white man's version you suggested that you believe Africans committed genocide against themselves. This just not credible more so in the absence of any evidence. Your point about Jews is irrelevant.

Is this a joke? Are modern human traffickers commiting genocide against themselves? Are you applying your own rationale to slave traders looking for a profit at any cost? If some Jews (one of the tightest-knit groups on earth) could conspire with the Nazis in the Holocaust, there's no evil beyond man on earth.

Who tells you that buying slaves is the path of least resistance? Simply capturing people at gun point is cheaper and quicker.

According to whose history books? the white man's version by any chance?
You have point about the fact that Britain managed to take over many countries much larger than themselves, that those not prove that they could not have used brute force at least at some stage, especially in Africa who were generally peaceful people who did not possess guns, cannons and explosives.

You need to be careful of labelling your people as "greedy black men" based on what the white man who committed the crimes against us, wrote about us in his history books.

That's nonsense. The path of least resistance appeals to every man.

There was plenty of trade between colonies and their colonial masters. They didn't just jump into their colonies and start carting off resources.

Where possible, it was always important for them to maintain diplomatic civil ties with their colonies. How do you think a small country like Britain came to control much of the continents and the world's seas? You think it was all through brute force? Think again.

Because it's easier to buy them than invading communities. If you think they landed on our shores and rounded up millions of people into slavery, you need to do a little more research. They did it with the complicity and connivance of greedy black men. That's a fact.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 1:42am On Nov 10, 2014
Criminals exist in every society, that those not justify the people of a whole continent of trading themselves as slaves.
Lakesider25:
I guess white people are responsible for the baby factories,maltreatment of house slaves,child hawking and child labor you guys have over there . undecided
Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 1:53am On Nov 10, 2014
Madam everything you wrote is from the account of history written by Caucasians.

All you Africans (I am assuming you are Africans) jumping to defence of the people who committed genocide against you could be said to be suffering from the Stockholm Syndrome.

It is said that the greatest weapon of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed.
HumbledbYGrace:
^ ^ ^ ^

Thanks

The rituals

1 Like

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 1:58am On Nov 10, 2014
It is not your history until it can be verified to be true and it is written by yourself and not by other people who committed genocide against you and have an interest in distorting the facts.
Radoillo:
Normal human reaction to aspects of their history they are not comfortable with: Tweak it. Make it look like every unpleasant episode was entirely the fault of the other.

1 Like

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 2:01am On Nov 10, 2014
Whose history books did you get this view from? The white man's no doubt.
onitshaigbo:

1 Like

Re: Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History by Nobody: 10:37am On Nov 10, 2014
GenBuhari:
It is not your history until it can be verified to be true and it is written by yourself and not by other people who committed genocide against you and have an interest in distorting the facts.

History books written by them readily admit to genocide committed against Native Americans, Australian Aborigines, the Herero people, but won't admit they were the one doing all the slave raiding in Africa? Doesn't make sense to me.

In any case, forget the European books. African peoples themselves have traditions of raiding one another for slaves and selling the slaves to white people. No single community (at least in Nigeria) have traditions of white people raiding their villages for slaves.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Idowu Olaniyi Adediwura, Crowned As Obalufe Of Ife (photos) / Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria / Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.