Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,434 members, 7,823,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:20 PM

Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? (27247 Views)

Festival Of Fire @erema Community Of Onelga Lga, Rivers State(photos) / Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State / The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by ezeagu(m): 1:40am On Jul 14, 2012
This topic is more than it should be.

Omoku or whoever don't sell land to Igbo people. The other minorities who were once considered Igbo also do not sell land to the Igbo. These communities will sell to other groups however, and they do this because they fear Igbo domination, because Igbo people migrated to the Niger area in 1970.

Okay. So what is the issue now? I believe this is one of the downfalls of the Igbo identity. If everyone were to go back to the tribes, village groups, counties, kingdoms and even empires, who would lose sleep over what is happening in another 'mbà'?
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by Abagworo(m): 4:29am On Jul 14, 2012
Mr Everest: Your postulation is hazy. I cud'nt grasp ur point!

If you are familiar with the current politics associated with Igbo identity then you will grab the point.
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by OneNaira6: 5:11am On Jul 14, 2012
brokoto: first of all, i want to say that i was invited into this post by Afam4eva. secondly, i'm from Omoku town and what the poster posted is true. unfortunate but true. i donot know how the tradition came about but i have known from childhood that the Omoku people do not sell lands to the Igbos. in response to Onenaira, if you are from Delta State, we would not count you as an Igbo man. so Chinenye is Right in that aspect.
although, the Igbos are getting wiser now by marrying Omoku wives and buying properties in their wife's name which to me is good. now dont you guys think its quite a foolish, outdated tradition? you cannot sell them lands but you can allow them marry your daughters. . .
anyway, from what my Late Mom told me, we originated from Benin and there is this distrust we have for Igbos and we are scared of them overrunning us in our land. i hope i have not insulted anybody with this. onenaira, now you have your proof!

I am going to nib this in the bud right now before "being from delta gives you a free pass" stereotype starts spreading. Even though I did not think this was worth wasting calling cards to Africa for but I bit my cheapness and called my father to get an inquiring to this whole thing. Before I start how many of una on NL ever told someone where you are from during real estate inquiry or even during a business deal? I am not sure about una but on his case, he has never done that. His name, how much he is willing to pay or whatever he is willing to trade are all his dealers get. Money and name is all anybody that ever had done deals with my father gets unless the said person is a friend. Delta state, Asaba and our family compound, etc. are not included. Let me just nib that sh1t in the bud right now. I am not sure where una get your story that being a delta Igbo gets a person a free pass from, I do not care enough to tell you’ll the reality but coming from delta has no impact whatsoever on any of my father's business. Shikena. One more thing I also asked and the answer I received is that we do have properties in Ahoada, Kregagi and Iyasara. I have never been to any of that properties but according to my father, they all omoku. One relative is recently building a house near Santa Maria High School because his daughter is about to start going to that school soon or so I was told. He's a family relative that got married into my family (my cousin's wife's brother); they are not Delta but Anambra. No one helped him get the land and no one is helping him build the house, everything is on him. According to my father, the school is in omoku.

Anyway sorry if I spelled any of the places wrong. I have difficult spelling African names. Secondly, maybe there are exceptions, maybe there aren't. I needed collaboration and I got it from both side.
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by OneNaira6: 5:13am On Jul 14, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

Which can be more of an ignorance,not selling land to someone but giving out your daughter to them in marriage? I have never visited Rivers State and am not planning to ever set foot in Ogba or is Omoku....You have 24hrs electricity but are you paying for it?? I dont know who you are because you are insignificant! ! What have you achieved as a group that you can boast of?? You are scared of Igbos because you feel if you give them chance they will overrun you yet they have been your neigbhours for centuries and havent overran you yet. Now Igbos are marrying your women so we can buy lands in your place? That Igbo must be a retarded one!! I want you to remember that a good neighbour is better than a brother that lives in a foreign land... You guys are creating troubles for your future generation...Soon or later you ppl will definitely need the help of the Igbos because you are very small to stand alone.

You are stressing yourself out over this. It is not that much of a big deal you know. Why get angry if someone is not selling lands to Igbos? Dude calm down.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by Okijajuju1(m): 9:18am On Jul 14, 2012
One_Naira:

I am going to nib this in the bud right now before "being from delta gives you a free pass" stereotype starts spreading. Even though I didnot think this was worth wasting calling cards to Africa for but I bit my cheapness and called my father to get an inquiring to this whole thing. Before I start how many of una on NL ever told someone where you are from during real estate inquiry or even during a business deal. I am not sure about una but on his case, he's never done that. His name, how much he is willing to pay or whatever he is willing to trade are all his dealers get. Money and name are all anybody that ever had a any deal with my father gets unless the said person is a friend. Delta state, Asaba and our family compound, etc aren't included. Let me just nib that sh1t in the bud right now. I am not sure where una get your story that being a delta Igbo gets a person a free pass from, I don't care enough to tell ya'll the reality but coming from delta has no impact whatsoever on any of my father's business. Shikena. One more thing I also asked and the answer I received is that we do have properties in Ahoada, Kregagi and Iyasara. I have never been to any of that properties but according to my father, they all omoku. One relative is recently building a house near Santa Maria High School because his daughter is about to start going to that school soon or so I was told. He's a family relative that got married into my family (my cousin's wife's brother), they are not Delta but Anambra. Noone helped him get the land and noone is helping him build the house, everything is on him. According to my father, the school is in omoku. 

Anyway sorry if I spelled any of the places wrong. I have difficult spelling African names. secondly maybe there are exception, maybe there aren't. I needed collaboration and I got it from both side.

I enquired on this subject matter as well and found it to be a lie... Some families and maybe even certain individuals may have prejudices towards Igbos and that's fair and understandable.. Question is who dosent.. No Igbo man would sell his land to a Northerner let alone allow a marriage between both tribes.. I think I have proven that an Igbo man can own landed properties in Onelga..  I know that the Yorubas also do own lands.. It's even difficult to believe this is true as I know a few Igbo men of Owerri decent who own properties in Omoku.. The place people are referring to as a village is not a village but a town that has grown and expanded beyond its boundaries.. Commercial activities are rife in the place so it would be difficult to prove this as its impossible that all those businesses are owned by locals.. For those who feel that I am supporting this, I am not.. I am dispelling it and also somewhat trying to point that I have never gotten such a vibe..
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by ifyalways(f): 11:02am On Jul 14, 2012
Where is this onelga?is ahoda an onelga zone?
I have some properties @ ahoda. I neither fvcked, married, changed name nor begged the land owners before I got it.
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by Abagworo(m): 1:49pm On Jul 14, 2012
ifyalways: Where is this onelga?is ahoda an onelga zone?
I have some properties @ ahoda. I neither fvcked, married, changed name nor begged the land owners before I got it.

Its better for you to own a property in Port Harcourt proper than those moderate towns. Omoku like I wrote in earlier thread is now larger than Ahoada which it used to be under the district in the past. They are generally civilized and hardworking compared with most Rivers people.
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by osifred(m): 5:28pm On Aug 05, 2012
ignorance they say is sometimes bliss. thank you okija_juju for your times and effort to educate people on this forum.

to say omoku is a non factor in the scheme of the Nigeria nation leaves me speechless not because i lacked words but the high level of ignorance which am not going to grace with a reply but to urge those guilty of such to embark on a fact finding mission. you will be surprise to know what omoku contribute to the nation Nigeria via their oil and gas.

@post. just for the record i am against any law that for what ever reason prevents a Nigerian from buying and investing in any part of Nigeria whether Omoku or any where else. i want to believe this is an infringement on the right of a Nigerian. discriminating a person because of his ethnic background.

they say their is no smoke without fire, igbos not being able to buy land in omoku in particular (and not ONELGA as the thread wrongly imply) has not always being the status quo, something must have prompted it, some where something must have gone wrong (to the best of my knowledge that is the only problem within the omoku man and the igbo man apart from that the two parties enjoy cordial relationship. is this evident in the fact that about 75% of traders in the omoku main market are igbos).

from history we were told that the igbo man abused the privileged of buying land in omoku when they wanted to overpower the indigenous people and establised an igbo kingdom in omoku, a situation that will make them have a parallel kingship stood in omoku. (for more info on this. you can read the book. Ogba nation. volume one by Mr. Ben-Fred Ohia and Mr. Henry onyedibia.)

back to the issue i think the Nigerian government though the ministry of local government should look into this issue of denying a Nigerian the opportunity to buy land in any part of Nigeria.

brokoto and okija_ juju i will like to interact more with you guyz.
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by Nobody: 9:18pm On Aug 05, 2012
osifred: ignorance they say is sometimes bliss. thank you okija_juju for your times and effort to educate people on this forum.

to say omoku is a non factor in the scheme of the Nigeria nation leaves me speechless not because i lacked words but the high level of ignorance which am not going to grace with a reply but to urge those guilty of such to embark on a fact finding mission. you will be surprise to know what omoku contribute to the nation Nigeria via their oil and gas.

@post. just for the record i am against any law that for what ever reason prevents a Nigerian from buying and investing in any part of Nigeria whether Omoku or any where else. i want to believe this is an infringement on the right of a Nigerian. discriminating a person because of his ethnic background.

they say their is no smoke without fire, igbos not being able to buy land in omoku in particular (and not ONELGA as the thread wrongly imply) has not always being the status quo, something must have prompted it, some where something must have gone wrong (to the best of my knowledge that is the only problem within the omoku man and the igbo man apart from that the two parties enjoy cordial relationship. is this evident in the fact that about 75% of traders in the omoku main market are igbos).

from history we were told that the igbo man abused the privileged of buying land in omoku when they wanted to overpower the indigenous people and establised an igbo kingdom in omoku, a situation that will make them have a parallel kingship stood in omoku. (for more info on this. you can read the book. Ogba nation. volume one by Mr. Ben-Fred Ohia and Mr. Henry onyedibia.)

back to the issue i think the Nigerian government though the ministry of local government should look into this issue of denying a Nigerian the opportunity to buy land in any part of Nigeria.

seriously? those men were my literature and English teachers respectively in my Secondary school!!! i miss Ben-Fred Ohia most especially
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by oturugo(m): 11:43pm On Aug 05, 2012
osifred: ignorance they say is sometimes bliss. thank you okija_juju for your times and effort to educate people on this forum.

Ben Ohia and Onyedibia, are they Igbo or Hausas?.
No need bringing up this useless thread. Omoku are Igbo people as well. Can someone say that Offa people do not sell land to Yorubas when in actual fact, Offas are Yorubas. This thread is nonsensical.
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by BlackPikiN(m): 12:47am On Aug 06, 2012

from history we were told that the igbo man abused the privileged of buying land in omoku when they wanted to overpower the indigenous people and establised an igbo kingdom in omoku, a situation that will make them have a parallel kingship stood in omoku. (for more info on this. you can read the book. Ogba nation. volume one by [size=15pt]Mr. Ben-Fred Ohia and Mr. Henry onyedibia[/size].)

To be very brutal, Those two men are real hediots if they are from Omoku. Imagine Ohia and Onyedibia, except say they get different meaning for Omoku language. Nonsense.
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by Truckpusher(m): 4:51am On Aug 06, 2012
It's quite a show of shame when people try to make you their own kin and kith by force and coercion,the ogba people were never igbos and will never be one,over times and again the ogba people of rivers state have continuously said that they migrated from the old benin empire shortly before the fall because of internal wrangling and had settled their along side with other igbo speaking people which they engaged in trade which is the only thing binding them together as at then and the igbos being a majority and for the sake of trade some igbo terms were widely used in doing bizness and inter marriages that took place.During the civil war they were coerced and forced to fight even their own brothers who fought along side the Nigerians and as a result of this they paid a heavy price as they were often labeled saboteurs(not only the ogba people but every other minority in the niger delta) by both sides especially if a family member is fighting for the other side...to cut a long story short,the fact that a man speaks your language partially and maintains a close boundary doesn't really make him your brother or subject,and the land grabbing of the biafran army personnel of igbo descent (renaming all the lands with igbo names in the heat of the war)didn't really help matters and that suspicion still continues till today because with all that happened to the ikwerres prior to the civil war which was later returned as abandoned property(they were properties that were fictitiously acquired from the ikwerres with loan money from the then eastern region bank which was managed by the igbos and only they had access to this loan,this loan was for the entire eastern region and not only for the igbos ) one can actually conclude that the igbos has expansionist tendency which can result to genocide if their biafra was achieved hence the need to sabotage biafra and help nigeria was the only hope to survive as a people...so my friend every man has the right to claim his origin and let no other man try to rewrite his history after all you've never had any war with the ogba people and you defeated them therefore you claim their land and their people as a tribute....UNITY BY FORCE OR COERCION IS SLAVERY.

[/quote]
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by Truckpusher(m): 5:45am On Aug 06, 2012
The ogba people have started selling lands to the Igbos because we know that whenever they start to cause problems again, we have the assurance of one nigeria and the truth is that the Niger delta region of today is no longer the Niger Delta of the 60s that the igbos saw as their own and can easily be taken anytime they wish.
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by Truckpusher(m): 5:52am On Aug 06, 2012
BlackPikiN:

To be very brutal, Those two men are real hediots if they are from Omoku. Imagine Ohia and Onyedibia, except say they get different meaning for Omoku language. Nonsense.
The fact that a man bears your name doesn't make him your kinsman...you have french and british people with names that has the same spelling but slightly different in pronunciation does that make them one nation or people?...so my friend stop ranting with hate words in a public forum because your people that ranted like this in the 60s are all in their graves(may the soul of the innocent ones rest in peace)to rant no more,learn your lessons and until you people change your attitudes towards those you feel they are your inferior in this country there will be NO LOVE FOR THE IBO MAN.
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by Truckpusher(m): 6:15am On Aug 06, 2012
afam4eva: At times i wonder if Igboid groups in River state don't have access to the internet because i've never seen a single Rivers Igbo man coming to tell us the real situation of many arguments that we've had concerning them on this site.
because their is nothing like a rivers igbo man as your myopic and dull brain is making you to believe...and let me correct your myopic impression abt the ogba pple ,the least villager in one of these villages that makes up the ogba kingdom has internet access and constant power supply unlike your backward eastern villages....no wonder you keep bombarding us with your sisters into our communities as prostitutes.
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by Antivirus92(m): 6:54am On Aug 06, 2012
Omoku is not igbo and can never be. Even though they have some igbo element amongst them.
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by Truckpusher(m): 6:59pm On Aug 06, 2012
Mr Everest: those names you mentioned dont ring a bell, dea are hundreds of profs in Mbaise not 2 talk of Imo state, so what made his unique? I dont even understand u, Arusi Okija, u seem 2 be supporting these ignorant nonentities!
The names that will ring a bell to your thick dull skull will always be synonymous to the ones that has FRAUD,RITUALIST AND DRUGS attached to them abi...ZOMBIE tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by Ngodigha1(m): 9:25pm On Aug 06, 2012
Truckpusher: The names that will ring a bell to your thick dull skull will always be synonymous to the ones that has FRAUD,RITUALIST AND DRUGS attached to them abi...ZOMBIE tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Shut up your stinking mouth shameless monkey. How on earth do you come here to insult people who never insulted you. Akalaka and those fools your junk history claims they came from Benin never had any Benin name. If Francis Ellah wasn't Igbo how then could he represent Ohanaeze at the last const. conference.
Joblees freak, get a life, Bastardd.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by Ngodigha1(m): 9:31pm On Aug 06, 2012
Truckpusher: It's quite a show of shame when people try to make you their own kin and kith by force and coercion,the ogba people were never igbos and will never be one,over times and again the ogba people of rivers state have continuously said that they migrated from the old benin empire shortly before the fall because of internal wrangling and had settled their along side with other igbo speaking people which they engaged in trade which is the only thing binding them together as at then and the igbos being a majority and for the sake of trade some igbo terms were widely used in doing bizness and inter marriages that took place.During the civil war they were coerced and forced to fight even their own brothers who fought along side the Nigerians and as a result of this they paid a heavy price as they were often labeled saboteurs(not only the ogba people but every other minority in the niger delta) by both sides especially if a family member is fighting for the other side...to cut a long story short,the fact that a man speaks your language partially and maintains a close boundary doesn't really make him your brother or subject,and the land grabbing of the biafran army personnel of igbo descent (renaming all the lands with igbo names in the heat of the war)didn't really help matters and that suspicion still continues till today because with all that happened to the ikwerres prior to the civil war which was later returned as abandoned property(they were properties that were fictitiously acquired from the ikwerres with loan money from the then eastern region bank which was managed by the igbos and only they had access to this loan,this loan was for the entire eastern region and not only for the igbos ) one can actually conclude that the igbos has expansionist tendency which can result to genocide if their biafra was achieved hence the need to sabotage biafra and help nigeria was the only hope to survive as a people...so my friend every man has the right to claim his origin and let no other man try to rewrite his history after all you've never had any war with the ogba people and you defeated them therefore you claim their land and their people as a tribute....UNITY BY FORCE OR COERCION IS SLAVERY.
I wonder how such a brain-dead monkey like you managed to write the above. What an insult to internet users. When Igbo people traded with Tivs and Igalas in the north they did not become Igbo nor speak Igbo. When they traded with Okrika people, Ibibio etcthey did not turn Igbo. Is it not idiotic from your shameless angle that your logic of tradfe made your people sound Igbo is baseless. Once again, get a life first class monkey.

I wonder how such a brain-dead monkey like you managed to write the above. What an insult to internet users. When Igbo people traded with Tivs and Igalas in the north they did not become Igbo nor speak Igbo. When they traded with Okrika people, Ibibio etc they did not turn Igbo. Is it not idiotic from your shameless angle that your logic of trade made your people sound Igbo is baseless. Once again, get a life first class monkey.

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by Abagworo(m): 10:01pm On Aug 06, 2012
Ngodigha1:
I wonder how such a brain-dead monkey like you managed to write the above. What an insult to internet users. When Igbo people traded with Tivs and Igalas in the north they did not become Igbo nor speak Igbo. When they traded with Okrika people, Ibibio etc they did not turn Igbo. Is it not idiotic from your shameless angle that your logic of trade made your people sound Igbo is baseless. Once again, get a life first class monkey.

To a typical Igbo man, language and culture defines identity and when he travels and comes across a people who speak same language, bear same names and have same culture, he considers them as his fellow Igbo. That does not in any way translate to land grab or claiming of anybody as Igbo culture encourages freedom and not imperialism.
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by MrEverest(m): 11:23pm On Aug 06, 2012
Truckpusher: The names that will ring a bell to your thick dull skull will always be synonymous to the ones that has FRAUD,RITUALIST AND DRUGS attached to them abi...ZOMBIE tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
what a warped and brainwashed mindset! See how the Hausas in conivance with the Ijaws have succeded in reducing these nonentities to a group of ppl without identity, just because you want to be recognized, what shame! You speak their language, you bear their name and yet u are not from their! What ignorance! You people will one day realize your folly and beg to be re-admitted into the Igbo fold but then it will be too late.
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by pazienza(m): 8:58am On Aug 07, 2012
The truth is that Ogba and their likes are of no strategic importance to the great igbo nation. Ogbaland is a bushland,it has no acess to the sea,the people are generally lazy,always shouting about crude oil. In igboland,we value human resources a lot,ogba has little or no intellectual giants/accomplished men and women of note. So i ask again,what does Ogba have to offer the great igbo nation?

5 Likes

Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by noiseless: 6:08pm On Aug 07, 2012
STOP MAKING THIS ACESS TO SEA,AS IF THAT IS THE BIGINING AND END OF LIFE,LET THEM CARRY THEIR SEA BE ON THEIR OWN, WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND. MANY NATIONS WITHOUT ACESS TO SEA ARE DOING GREAT HOW MUCH MORE GREAT IGBOLAND WITH RIVER NIGER WHICH HAS HER TWO FEETS STANDING IN THE OCEAN,SO WHAT ELSE DO WE WANT FROM THOSE WHO SOLD THEIR SOULS FOR PETTY FAVOURS FROM HAUSA/FULANI. OR DOES ONE REALLY THINK IN CASE OF SPLITING UP OF nigeria OUR NEW NEIGHBOURING COUNTRIES WOULDING LET US USE RVER NIGER TO THE FULLEST? SORRY DEAR, I'M NOT SHOUTING LOL!
pazienza: The truth is that Ogba and their likes are of no strategic importance to the great igbo nation. Ogbaland is a bushland,it has no acess to the sea,the people are generally lazy,always shouting about crude oil. In igboland,we value human resources a lot,ogba has little or no intellectual giants/accomplished men and women of note. So i ask again,what does Ogba have to offer the great igbo nation?
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by Abagworo(m): 7:18pm On Aug 07, 2012
The Ogba ancestors divided the earth into two parts, which they called “Oru” and “Igmo“ respectively. By the former term, Ogbas referred to riverine people. By the latter, they meant inhabitants of the hinterland. Both parts represented to them the whole world, which they called “Oruligmo” that is, “Oru” and “Igmo” an idiom still current in Ogba. When an Ogba says Oruligmo, he means all the earth, all human beings. Who would object when Oruligmo have accepted?

Who would venture when they have declined? The general attitudes and customs of Ogbas themselves appear to be more Oru than Igmo, though the local tongue is now obviously more Igmo than Oru. Indeed the traditional customs are clearly derived from both sources. For example, the proud and graceful owu masquerade and asawa dances have their origin in Oru; whereas the troublesome, though, mysterious and powerful Okorosu, comes from igmo and speaks nkaba (a deeper word for Igmo) in a haughty, deathlike manner, through his nose, like the ghost that it is supposed to be!
 From their attitude and customs, Ogbas appear to believe that they occupy a central position in the world, between Oru and Igmo, from where they survey all the activities of mankind, and mock, praise, deride, appreciate or emulate them as the occasion demands. Some of the customs create the vague impression of people standing between the living and the dead, or between paradise and hell, or between the devil and the deep blue sea.

http://ogbakingdom.com/ogba-view-of-cosmogony-2/
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by PROUDIGBO(m): 9:20pm On Aug 07, 2012
NRI PRIEST: Wonders shall never end! Who are these Onelga ppl ? Firstly,I will not set foot there talk more of buying lands there....Kogi and Benue ppl are giving lands free to Igbos to invest and we are hear discussing a group with no presence! If they like let them sell lands to yorubas and boko harem.......I dont care! If they like let them claim Uhrobo I dont care but one thing I am sure of is that they will need our help 00pm oneday just like the Ijaws....These ppl are probably not up to 100,000 in population and we are here discusing a non factor..Op is probably from there and comehere to seek cheap populaity amongst the IGBOS!

Op,tell ur ppl I said they should shove all ther lands into their weak a..ss! Everybody wan use Igbos shine!

^^^Take am easy, haba! I'm from Ndoni myself (Umuonyema clan), and if i come back in another life I will still claim Igbo, as will all my kinsmen.

We are part of the bigger Ogbaru Igbo sub-group, and have had very close ties to Onitsha which we take as a second home (the former Governor of Rivers state went to secondary school in Onitsha, and so did i and many of my family members).

I can't hold brief for Ogba people, but -as with some Ikwerre- you can't rule out the possibility of some (because of oyel, lies and promises of material wealth and privilege) denying their Igbo heritage.

Egbema in Rivers state are Igbo as well, but as i said earlier, you may find one or two greedy/lazy ones that have bought the lies and bribes fed to them by the ones seeking Igbo disunity.

The poster is obviously one of those constantly living in fear of Igbo togetherness and unity of purpose, hence his sad attempt at sowing seeds if division amongst us....afterall, it's a tried and tested technique that has worked for him and his forbears (as in the case of the Ikwerre) since the late 60's.

Igbo for life!!!!!!!

5 Likes

Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by PROUDIGBO(m): 9:43pm On Aug 07, 2012
Truckpusher: The fact that a man bears your name doesn't make him your kinsman...you have french and british people with names that has the same spelling but slightly different in pronunciation does that make them one nation or people?...so my friend stop ranting with hate words in a public forum because your people that ranted like this in the 60s are all in their graves(may the soul of the innocent ones rest in peace)to rant no more,learn your lessons and until you people change your attitudes towards those you feel they are your inferior in this country there will be NO LOVE FOR THE IBO MAN.

^^^just curious to know your ethnicity......mind sharing with us? I would expect you're either from Ogba, Ikwerre, or any other place in Rivers state. For someone that has spent an inordinate amount of time on this thread 'trying' to convince peeps that Ogba aren't Igbo, it would be a shame if you weren't from any of the places listed above.

Of course you can't be Hausa/Fulani or Yoruba wink......why would they take such an active interest in the ethnic permutations and make-up of faraway Rivers state.....to the extent of getting so emotional and abusive wink smiley.

Cheers mate.
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by MrEverest(m): 1:05am On Aug 08, 2012
Abagworo: The Ogba ancestors divided the earth into two parts, which they called “Oru” and “Igmo“ respectively. By the former term, Ogbas referred to riverine people. By the latter, they meant inhabitants of the hinterland. Both parts represented to them the whole world, which they called “Oruligmo” that is, “Oru” and “Igmo” an idiom still current in Ogba. When an Ogba says Oruligmo, he means all the earth, all human beings. Who would object when Oruligmo have accepted?

Who would venture when they have declined? The general attitudes and customs of Ogbas themselves appear to be more Oru than Igmo, though the local tongue is now obviously more Igmo than Oru. Indeed the traditional customs are clearly derived from both sources. For example, the proud and graceful owu masquerade and asawa dances have their origin in Oru; whereas the troublesome, though, mysterious and powerful Okorosu, comes from igmo and speaks nkaba (a deeper word for Igmo) in a haughty, deathlike manner, through his nose, like the ghost that it is supposed to be!
 From their attitude and customs, Ogbas appear to believe that they occupy a central position in the world, between Oru and Igmo, from where they survey all the activities of mankind, and mock, praise, deride, appreciate or emulate them as the occasion demands. Some of the customs create the vague impression of people standing between the living and the dead, or between paradise and hell, or between the devil and the deep blue sea.

http://ogbakingdom.com/ogba-view-of-cosmogony-2/
pls Abagworo spare us the lecture, we dont need it because those ppl are not important. They are a very small sub-clan, so we cant bore ourselves talking about their bush lives, they are not important!
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by Antivirus92(m): 8:49am On Aug 08, 2012
Abagworo:

To a typical Igbo man, language and culture defines identity and when he travels and comes across a people who speak same language, bear same names and have same culture, he considers them as his fellow Igbo. That does not in any way translate to land grab or claiming of anybody as Igbo culture encourages freedom and not imperialism.

sometimes after reading ur posts,i use to wonder if you're well at all.please tell us how one can recognise his people if not culture/tradition first, then language second and sometimes religion.igbo people are not colonialists(colonial masters) so everyone that speaks igbo as his first language(mother tongue) is automatically an igbo
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by osifred(m): 9:16am On Aug 08, 2012
It is only the igbo people that what to claim other people as being part of them. The ogba people has for the upteen time say are not igbo. So let it rest.

Truckpusher has said it all. That somebody share similiarity with you doesn't make him your town it only means that time and circumstance has made it that way. In the case of the ogba people their boarder proximity with the igbo must have influenced it.

No ogba mythology and ¶ repeat no ogba mythology trace the ogba people to any igbo ancenstral root. The Ogba people are descendant of the benin empire. Series of event made them settle in their present location which shared boundaries with delta state, bayelsa and imo state and as you know the igbo tribe has long settled and therefore more stable than the ogba people for that reason they must have influence certain cultural aspect of the ogba people.

Ask for the gentleman who mentioned Sen. Francis Ellah an ogbaman who who was active in ohanezendigbo. Ellah is the only ogba man who sees himself as an igbo man most probably for personal interest. That led him to having problem with the ogba people.

Brokoto if those men W̶̲̥̅̊hε̲̣̣̣̥я̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ you teachers then it is likely we attended the same school.
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:03am On Aug 08, 2012
osifred: It is only the igbo people that what to claim other people as being part of them. The ogba people has for the upteen time say are not igbo. So let it rest.

Truckpusher has said it all. That somebody share similiarity with you doesn't make him your town it only means that time and circumstance has made it that way. In the case of the ogba people their boarder proximity with the igbo must have influenced it.

No ogba mythology and ¶ repeat no ogba mythology trace the ogba people to any igbo ancenstral root. The Ogba people are descendant of the benin empire. Series of event made them settle in their present location which shared boundaries with delta state, bayelsa and imo state and as you know the igbo tribe has long settled and therefore more stable than the ogba people for that reason they must have influence certain cultural aspect of the ogba people.

Ask for the gentleman who mentioned Sen. Francis Ellah an ogbaman who who was active in ohanezendigbo. Ellah is the only ogba man who sees himself as an igbo man most probably for personal interest. That led him to having problem with the ogba people.

Brokoto if those men W̶̲̥̅̊hε̲̣̣̣̥я̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ you teachers then it is likely we attended the same school.

^^^Regarding the bolded: what you see as "Igbos claiming others as being part of them" is nothing more than Igbos setting the records straight; records and facts that have been skewed since the late 60's by Igbo-hating creeps like you that want to rewrite history in an attempt balkanise Igboland; the criminal splitting of the Egbema people into two states and according material gains and priviledges to the ones that denounce their Igbo heritage is a case in point. But i don't expect you to notice that, do i?

You mention Sen Ellah as being the only Ogba that acknowledges being Igbo; nice one.....but could you please provide links/videos/sources to show the numerous Ogba (both illustrious sons like Ellah and many others, since you say they are in majority) that have denounced their being Igbo and claimed Bini.....i'd love to expand my knowledge on this issue (bear in mind that even Onitsha have links with the ancient Bini kingdom, but are not denouncing being Igbo). I hope all the stuff you put up there as fact are not stories concocted by the jealous/paranoid enemies of Ndigbo that shi/t in their pants the moment they see the peoples of the old eastern region (that have lived together, traded and inter-married for centuries) coming together in brotherhood and charting a common destiny for themselves.......just makes you lot break out in a cold sweat and panic doesn't it? smiley Otherwise, how do you explain someone from the other side of the country getting passionate about the ethnic make-up of the different peoples that made-up the old eastern region....why don't they caste their beady lil' covetous eyes over happenings in their own neighbourhood, and let Ndigbo and her neighbours discuss and manage their own affairs like we've done for centuries? Even this one that our Ogoni neighbours have done recently is giving some certain lazy bastards (that can't imagine life outside 'Nigeria') sleepless nights.
Re: Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? by osifred(m): 12:24pm On Aug 08, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Regarding the bolded: what you see as "Igbos claiming others as being part of them" is nothing more than Igbos setting the records straight; records and facts that have been skewed since the late 60's by Igbo-hating creeps like you that want to rewrite history in an attempt balkanise Igboland; the criminal splitting of the Egbema people into two states and according material gains and priviledges to the ones that denounce their Igbo heritage is a case in point. But i don't expect you to notice that, do i?

You mention Sen Ellah as being the only Ogba that acknowledges being Igbo; nice one.....but could you please provide links/videos/sources to show the numerous Ogba (both illustrious sons like Ellah and many others, since you say they are in majority) that have denounced their being Igbo and claimed Bini.....i'd love to expand my knowledge on this issue (bear in mind that even Onitsha have links with the ancient Bini kingdom, but are not denouncing being Igbo). I hope all the stuff you put up there as fact are not stories concocted by the jealous/paranoid enemies of Ndigbo that shi/t in their pants the moment they see the peoples of the old eastern region (that have lived together, traded and inter-married for centuries) coming together in brotherhood and charting a common destiny for themselves.......just makes you lot break out in a cold sweat and panic doesn't it? smiley Otherwise, how do you explain someone from the other side of the country getting passionate about the ethnic make-up of the different peoples that made-up the old eastern region....why don't they caste their beady lil' covetous eyes over happenings in their own neighbourhood, and let Ndigbo and her neighbours discuss and manage their own affairs like we've done for centuries? Even this one that our Ogoni neighbours have done recently is giving some certain lazy bastards (that can't imagine life outside 'Nigeria') sleepless nights.

@bolded, there is no point to prove anything, how can we denounce anything, when there has never being a link of the ogba man being traced to the igbo lineage.
since you want to learn i can assure you that the story of ogba emigrating from the old bini kingdom is not one concocted by jealous/paranoid enemies of ndigbo as you put it. it is the mythology that has being passed from generation immemorial. if any one has to prove anything it is you who have to tell me how the ogba man is from ibo. please and please again do not make reference of Sen. Francis Ellah claiming the ogba man is igbo because that will lead to something else, for the main time just accept in good faith that he made that statement for personal interest.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Idowu Olaniyi Adediwura, Crowned As Obalufe Of Ife (photos) / Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History / Canada Invites Ooni To 150th Independence Anniversary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 195
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.