Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,587 members, 7,816,446 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:22 AM

Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? (13661 Views)

Is Blackberry Q5 Good Enough?or Should I Go For Another Andriod Phone / Why Is Blackberry Bigger Than I-phone, Andriod And Htc In Naija? / Where Is Blackberry Office In Lagos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Funkymallam(m): 1:52pm On Jul 01, 2012
Boboribo: How does an android user in say Kano send a photo of an event in Kano instantly to a friend in Lagos and the friend in Lagos will get instantly. Give me asnwers too for music, videos and URL links. I use a BB currently. Moved from S40 and all this BB is shi.t stuff is making me wonder. I want to learn please.

With common whatapp on a S40 fon sef u can do that.

Nxt....
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Pk001(m): 1:53pm On Jul 01, 2012
SimonAndal: Why d'ya guys hate BB so much? Whatever did they do to you? That I use a BB doesn't make me a fool or a technologically backward person. It makes me an economical person. Let's calculate:
I used a Samsung Galaxy S last year for 3 months, and I spent N21,000 on data and calls. N7,000 for a meagre 5GB per month. That's was too freaking expensive for me, so I asked around and was introduced to the BlackBerry Internet Service for which I pay N8,000 for 3 months, for UNLIMITED DATA.

BIS plan is very cheap
I use a BB phone and BB playbook. These two serve all the purpose I need at the cheapest price.
With N1,400 a month on glo I get 3gb. I bridge my playbook to my BB phone and I use the Internet on both unlimitedly.
I don't exhaust up to 2gb in a month even after making several downloads and watching a lot of YouTube videos.

Talking about technology, my BB playbook 2.0 uses android apps as well. So what more? I can't be deceived, BB is still very good and economical for naija.

Let's I forget, the BB messenger is the most secured messenger, even FBI cannot hack it unless they work in partnership with RIM which is not possible.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by chucky234(m): 2:21pm On Jul 01, 2012
ebamma: na wetin oyinbo troway na him nigerians dey like pass.
You be mumu,people buy Blackberry phones in Nigeria same reason people buy used 1992 Honda accord,Toyota Camry,Nissan Primera and so on
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by benzion72(m): 2:22pm On Jul 01, 2012
Love BB for unlimited Data plan N1500 for a whole month and I drive the Data a lot as much as 8Gig download. Playbook now crown it all. Honestly if you start with android BB will be archaic to you. But i start with BB before using android so I know both world. Android suck a lot of Data, it can dig a deep hole in your pocket. before my Nokia N990 got spoilt i spend more than 8k a month on data.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by manmustwac(m): 2:25pm On Jul 01, 2012
Just use it for the ping thing to send pics & to communicate with friends & in particular my babe 24/7

And besides the phone battery in a BB lasts a whole day whereas the battery in an android phone onlt lasts 5 hours.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by 234GT(m): 2:33pm On Jul 01, 2012
Pinging lori nokia joooooooor oh.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Homonide: 2:33pm On Jul 01, 2012
Blackberry is seen as prestigious? i don't get that. However, the main selling point of RIM phones in Nigeria and Africa in general is is the DATA. Agreed, the bbm is also a very big advantage, but the data is the clincher.

About two years ago while i still used a Nokia E6, the 100mb data i purchased for #1000 barely lasted a week, and i was actually wary and careful of how the downloads i made and sites i visited. Most people, like me didn't want to use a blackberry then because of the 'craze' for it and the impression that if you didn't have one, you were not social and tech savvy (you haven't arrived). But truth be told and sentiment aside, Blackberries are the best smartphones in this clime because they have a good data plan compared to other smartphone makers. SHIKENA.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by efe22(m): 2:38pm On Jul 01, 2012
~Bluetooth:

If you fully want to maximize the functionality of a phone,you'd think more than a blackberry.Nigeria is just behind in everything.Atm was introduced in the 60's but it took Nigeria over 40 years to use an Atm.
Blackberry is fit for Nigeria because Nigeria is still very backward technologically.
Good point
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jul 01, 2012
@ Op and all his BB hating sympathizers: you're all s t u p i d! If u choose not to use a BB it's ur bleeping choice. I use a BB+bis cos i can afford one and cos i like it's BBM application. It's ur headache if u dont dig it. All fingers not equal and so are the choices we make. Whats ur yardstick for calling a BB phones prestigious? because its got popularity in nigeria? Would u also call 2go prestigious because its popularity in nigeria? Or would u call a honda EOD prestigious? Or nokia phones prestigious? Then what would u call the iphone's, the rolls royce's and the sgh galaxy's? Soon you'll be asking why nigerians dig terry g n his lousy songs(which i also like). BB's losses doesn't make its phones less appealing to me and millions out there so get over that 'prestigious stereotype', it proves how myopic u all are as humans. Someone went as far as calling us follo follo, SMH; go back to ur village and put leaves and hides on. Mu mu
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jul 01, 2012
Technologically backward? Pls wat can an android fone do dat a bb, iphone or nokia fone cant do? It's a matter of choice. Una dey tire me o.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jul 01, 2012
Homonide: Blackberry is seen as prestigious? i don't get that. However, the main selling point of RIM phones in Nigeria and Africa in general is is the DATA. Agreed, the bbm is also a very big advantage, but the data is the clincher.

About two years ago while i still used a Nokia E6, the 100mb data i purchased for #1000 barely lasted a week, and i was actually wary and careful of how the downloads i made and sites i visited. Most people, like me didn't want to use a blackberry then because of the 'craze' for it and the impression that if you didn't have one, you were not social and tech savvy (you haven't arrived). But truth be told and sentiment aside, Blackberries are the best smartphones in this clime because they have a good data plan compared to other smartphone makers. SHIKENA.
may God bless u with twins on ur first trial. U have spoken well.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Ucheosefoh(m): 2:54pm On Jul 01, 2012
Pls it is possible 2 use BB data plan of any network on symbian smartphone. Pls I need ans
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by y2kaustin(m): 2:57pm On Jul 01, 2012
Aifey: U 4got we ar amongs d developin countries thts y. Don't u ask y we stil purchase used cars y our big girls stil put on used pants n bras. Out there BB is an old story but we hav nt seen it b4. Later it wil stil go down. Nokia is aswel cuttin down its work force by 2%.
..,how does pants n bra,relate 2d topic?
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by chucky234(m): 3:03pm On Jul 01, 2012
I often wonder how backward people are in this country,OP must a be village man to think that BB is sold only in Nigerian market.

I have been selling high tech phones for six whole years and have been opportuned to use almost every new phone that has been released by manufacturers,I new phones as well used ones as which afford me the opportunity to test run some of the used ones before selling.
It took Apple 11 years to topple RIM as the world's number one selling phone company,with BB Porsche selling for above 300k I still doubt if iphone 5 will cost as much.

I have used iphone 2,3Gs,4 and iphone 4s but they are just too overpriced for my liking,I sold my iphone 4s here on NL two months back then bought HTC Evo 4G which is an amazing phone but I ended up spending N28,000 on datas and that's even higher than what I spent on my 3 year old daughter monthly.
Aside the HTC I uses a bold 5 which is an amazing phone that allow me to stay in touch with the world,my customers,my agents in Europe and my players without spending more than N1400 on my airtel monthly.

The Opera mini on my BB consumed just 778kb to download while the same Opera mini on my android consumed 13.4MB,BB does all my core jobs while my HTC Evo 4G android is just to show-off.

I was watching beyond Stardom yesterday and a Manager at JP Morgan Chase Bank in the US said she sleep with her BB under her pillow,wonder if she is backward as well.

You also fail to ask yourself what was Samsung,Apple and HTC doing when RIM was dishing out high tech phones for 9 years before the world embraced iphones and android phones.
People still buy Curve2 in the US and Europe but no one have time for the Google G1 which is the first android phone manufactured,my friend who is a phone dealer in London still buy BB curve2 directly from owners and that's to say Nigerians are not the only people buying BB phones.

I was surprised to hear somebody say Nigerians are backward for buying BB phones that cost between 50k to 350k but what can you still say about people buying Mercedes Benz like 190 manufactured in 1989,1996,98,99 Toyota Camry and Nissan vehicles that were manufactured 18 years back,is it because we are backward too?

People should be sensible and reason like educated people,a white friend of mine in Woodburn,OR in US still uses a BB bold 9000 which is bold1 and no one is complaining.
We buy 9800,9860,Porsche,9810 yet you moronic brainwashed people still believe we are backward simply because RIM lost 19% shares.

I have an HTC Evo 4G which I think is a better than the iphone 4s yet I have much faith in my bold5 because the phone offers me daily the satisfaction I need at a far cheaper rate,many people out there who uses petty and cheap android phones like the HTC wildfire will still refers to someone who uses a BB 9900 or 9810 as backward.
I sorry for your parents for wasting so much money on your education.

1 Like

Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Ronaldo200(m): 3:09pm On Jul 01, 2012
L u c i d:
@ Op and all his BB hating sympathizers: you're all s t u p i d! If u choose not to use a BB it's ur bleeping choice. I use a BB+bis cos i can afford one and cos i like it's BBM application. It's ur headache if u dont dig it. All fingers not equal and so are the choices we make. Whats ur yardstick for calling a BB phones prestigious? because its got popularity in nigeria? Would u also call 2go prestigious because its popularity in nigeria? Or would u call a honda EOD prestigious? Or nokia phones prestigious? Then what would u call the iphone's, the rolls royce's and the sgh galaxy's? Soon you'll be asking why nigerians dig terry g n his lousy songs(which i also like). BB's losses doesn't make its phones less appealing to me and millions out there so get over that 'prestigious stereotype', it proves how myopic u all are as humans. Someone went as far as calling us follo follo, SMH; go back to ur village and put leaves and hides on. Mu mu
You don't need to call me stupid for asking a simple question. You have talked plenty. Each time I visit naija I notice the BB has the "wow" factor, young people are using it and demanding it, and I was simply asking for explanation of its appeal, given that I have never purchased a BB or any other handset in Nigeria. They even made movie about it and most people I saw craved for one or had one.....that is what prestigious means my friend. If you read the web carefully, in Europe the UK and North America it has very low market share, and in these places more people are buying phones using android OS or even the iPhone.

If you read carefully I said that me sef, I even maintain a BB so there is no need to be so personally offended (calling me stupid) , angry and insultive just because you don't like my question about a simple phone.
Anyways. Guess the question has been answered, that the networks offer competitive data price plans. That's makes sense then. I wonder why they don't offer similar bundles of unlimited data for other devices though.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Ronaldo200(m): 3:13pm On Jul 01, 2012
Homonide: Blackberry is seen as prestigious? i don't get that. However, the main selling point of RIM phones in Nigeria and Africa in general is is the DATA. Agreed, the bbm is also a very big advantage, but the data is the clincher.

That makes sense. It's not so much the handset itself, it is more the fact that it is cheap to operate it
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Suntemi(m): 3:20pm On Jul 01, 2012
chucky234:
It took Apple 11 years to topple RIM as the world's number one selling phone company,

Apple stated making iPhones, 5 years ago. You don't need to lie to make a point.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by http(m): 3:22pm On Jul 01, 2012
I don't use BB cos of the Band wagon effect in Nigeria, I use iPhone 4s even though my wife is a BB fan and uses one, for pinging forget about me, cos i don't want unnecessary wahala from pinging, i only use apps like whatsapp to chart.... so this limit the people i chart with, i like it that way.. Their is more to life than Pinging..

1 Like

Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jul 01, 2012
chucky234: I often wonder how backward people are in this country,OP must a be village man to think that BB is sold only in Nigerian market.

I have been selling high tech phones for six whole years and have been opportuned to use almost every new phone that has been released by manufacturers,I new phones as well used ones as which afford me the opportunity to test run some of the used ones before selling.
It took Apple 11 years to topple RIM as the world's number one selling phone company,with BB Porsche selling for above 300k I still doubt if iphone 5 will cost as much.

I have used iphone 2,3Gs,4 and iphone 4s but they are just too overpriced for my liking,I sold my iphone 4s here on NL two months back then bought HTC Evo 4G which is an amazing phone but I ended up spending N28,000 on datas and that's even higher than what I spent on my 3 year old daughter monthly.
Aside the HTC I uses a bold 5 which is an amazing phone that allow me to stay in touch with the world,my customers,my agents in Europe and my players without spending more than N1400 on my airtel monthly.

The Opera mini on my BB consumed just 778kb to download while the same Opera mini on my android consumed 13.4MB,BB does all my core jobs while my HTC Evo 4G android is just to show-off.

I was watching beyond Stardom yesterday and a Manager at JP Morgan Chase Bank in the US said she sleep with her BB under her pillow,wonder if she is backward as well.

You also fail to ask yourself what was Samsung,Apple and HTC doing when RIM was dishing out high tech phones for 9 years before the world embraced iphones and android phones.
People still buy Curve2 in the US and Europe but no one have time for the Google G1 which is the first android phone manufactured,my friend who is a phone dealer in London still buy BB curve2 directly from owners and that's to say Nigerians are not the only people buying BB phones.

I was surprised to hear somebody say Nigerians are backward for buying BB phones that cost between 50k to 350k but what can you still say about people buying Mercedes Benz like 190 manufactured in 1989,1996,98,99 Toyota Camry and Nissan vehicles that were manufactured 18 years back,is it because we are backward too?

People should be sensible and reason like educated people,a white friend of mine in Woodburn,OR in US still uses a BB bold 9000 which is bold1 and no one is complaining.
We buy 9800,9860,Porsche,9810 yet you moronic brainwashed people still believe we are backward simply because RIM lost 19% shares.

I have an HTC Evo 4G which I think is a better than the iphone 4s yet I have much faith in my bold5 because the phone offers me daily the satisfaction I need at a far cheaper rate,many people out there who uses petty and cheap android phones like the HTC wildfire will still refers to someone who uses a BB 9900 or 9810 as backward.
tell 'em hard
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Ronaldo200(m): 3:26pm On Jul 01, 2012
sun_temi:

Apple stated making iPhones, 5 years ago. You don't need to lie to make a point.

Precisely. And RIM has never been the number one selling phone company, please let's get that correct. For most of the 2000s it was Nokia, and I believe that now (I might be wrong) I is Samsung.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Ninilowo(m): 3:30pm On Jul 01, 2012
lekkie073: just d bandwagon effect.......
correct.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by bsteadfast: 3:32pm On Jul 01, 2012
Nigerians don't understand Technology they just consume it for the purpose of showing off. Currently am using a phone with Symbian OS intending to migrate to Apple OS....No to Blackberry OS.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Ronaldo200(m): 3:35pm On Jul 01, 2012
chucky234: I often wonder how backward people are in this country,OP must a be village man to think that BB is sold only in Nigerian market.

I must be a village person for thinking BB is only sold in Nigeria? You must be a retarted illiterate village person for not being able to grasp simple English. I ask you to show me where and when I suggested, or even hinted or insinuated, that BB is only sold in Nigeria and I rest my case.

In case you have been living in a different planet for the last few years, BlackBerry maker RIm has been struggling for some time. Growth has slowed in Europe and other markets, and is massively in decline in North America. I have a close interest because yes, in the line of business I am in I actually track their stock. They are potential targets for a takeover also, and guess what? When a companies stock slides so fast, there is USUALLY something going in, whether you choose to cover your eyes and ignore it or not. So the fact that you might love the BB or not is irrelevant, I made a valid point on the realities on what is actually happening. Also I might add, I used the term AFRICA (I guess you chose to conveniently ignore that, right?) because if you ever choose to read, analysts have stated very clearly that most of their growth now is coming from developing countries, and also from younger people (such as teenagers).

I could go on for days and days about this, because I have well researched this topic and my knowledge I am quite sure would be x10 that of yours, and would be based on fact not some kind of fantasy in my head. I can see that you are clearly stirred and upset that you think somebody dared to even criticize the handset that you use. Pele. But I REPEAT......I use a BlackBerry too and if you go back and read my post, and remove your tinkered emotion, you will see that NOWHERE did I suggest that only in Nigeria do they use such phones. And u will also see that you are the village person. Nonsense.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by demoreon: 3:42pm On Jul 01, 2012
Basic:
Stop deceiving yourself, the plan is not unlimited. It is just 1GB. Most people erroneously think it is unlimited because they do not get to exhaust their 1GB within 30 days. Try downloading 2-3 high quality full length films and you'll see it's not "unlimited".

My etisalat is unlimited...I always download large files. Nd also stream videos...
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by ifecx4real: 4:20pm On Jul 01, 2012
D onli reason I can see is data compression, cheap internet acess, Plus the hype makes it more popular
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by lekkie073(m): 4:24pm On Jul 01, 2012
NEROSKY: Am tired of BB, I bought one not up 2 two weeks ago, now I lost my nokia for the sake,and I felt like diein eva since, I need Nokia E6 and I want to give It away. ( my BOLD 2) @28,000
Nokia all d way for me. I decided not to use bb because i hate following d tides. But my pals who feels am so important had to get used to chatting with me using whatsapp. Its amazing d number of bb users dat i personally have influenced to download d amazing whatsapp in order to get across to no-bb-usage ppl like me.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by theymoo: 4:47pm On Jul 01, 2012
I think the question should be why is Blackberry still doing well in Nigeria as compared to the US and Europe and the plain answer is data is still very expensive in Nigeria. IPhone and Android uses more data than Blackberry. There are couple of reasons for this, they have richer web experience and do not have compression technology like the blackberry. This will not continue forever though, Android smartphones are already growing faster than BB in Nigeria. With data prices going down, we will see more people using Android and iPhones but I’m glad people are using BB. The idea is to communicate with people around the world. grin
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by chucky234(m): 4:56pm On Jul 01, 2012
Ronaldo200:

I must be a village person for thinking BB is only sold in Nigeria? You must be a retarted illiterate village person for not being able to grasp simple English. I ask you to show me where and when I suggested, or even hinted or insinuated, that BB is only sold in Nigeria and I rest my case.

In case you have been living in a different planet for the last few years, BlackBerry maker RIm has been struggling for some time. Growth has slowed in Europe and other markets, and is massively in decline in North America. I have a close interest because yes, in the line of business I am in I actually track their stock. They are potential targets for a takeover also, and guess what? When a companies stock slides so fast, there is USUALLY something going in, whether you choose to cover your eyes and ignore it or not. So the fact that you might love the BB or not is irrelevant, I made a valid point on the realities on what is actually happening. Also I might add, I used the term AFRICA (I guess you chose to conveniently ignore that, right?) because if you ever choose to read, analysts have stated very clearly that most of their growth now is coming from developing countries, and also from younger people (such as teenagers).

I could go on for days and days about this, because I have well researched this topic and my knowledge I am quite sure would be x10 that of yours, and would be based on fact not some kind of fantasy in my head. I can see that you are clearly stirred and upset that you think somebody dared to even criticize the handset that you use. Pele. But I REPEAT......I use a BlackBerry too and if you go back and read my post, and remove your tinkered emotion, you will see that NOWHERE did I suggest that only in Nigeria do they use such phones. And u will also see that you are the village person. Nonsense.
You just proved me right that you are truly a village boy,what makes you think I did not grasp your elementry English.
You sleep with google then come here to rant about your petty research,everyone knows that RIM have been going through difficult time in the last few years but that does not implies that Americans and Europeans have stop buying Blackberry phones as your post implied.
You claimed to know so much about Apple and RIM with your empty posts,RIM is struggling yes but their gadgets still generate sales around the world.

It may also interest you to know that Apple would not have been known by many of you today if not for the timely intervention of Bail Gates who bailed them out in 1997, in 2005 they were also struggling. RIM today is a better company compare to Apple in 1997 and that means RIM can also be bail out by top investors as microsoft did to Apple in "97.

If you use BB as you so claimed then puting this post up there on FP make you even a bigger slowpoke,you should have known better that phones are bought based on choice and not by competition.
MUMU-MAGA.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by lekkie073(m): 5:00pm On Jul 01, 2012
not forgeting d fact dat i can as well get 1gig with #1200 on airtel using d bsm tweak!
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by lekkie073(m): 5:05pm On Jul 01, 2012
70% of bb used in naija is uk-used. How many bb loyalists dey buy d new products
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by chucky234(m): 5:10pm On Jul 01, 2012
sun_temi:

Who be dis mumu nah,Apple started making iphone 5 years ago but you should have asked yourself how many people paid for it world in 2007 with the released of the iphone1 EDGE. Blackberry was the in vogue thing worldwide so no one cared to buy Job's failed iphone1, the first iphone was manufactured in Taiwan by the parent company of Foxconn while the recent ones including the ipads were manufactured at Foxconn plant in China.
The first phone manufactured by Apple was made by Motorola and called ROKR which was an instant flop,all Apple's products were manufactured by third party companies in China while some of them uses Samsung chips.

1 Like

Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by walemoses2(m): 5:19pm On Jul 01, 2012
Honestly,if the so called ''Unlimited'' data plan means the way it is pronounced,BB make sense,though i have SGS2 being an ardent lover of ANDROID but guys inwardly is not easy easy for the data subscrption,i have a proposition for RIM,kindly discard intend RIM,platform 10 and switch to Android,it will be a successful marraige,i am actually looking forward to this.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Use The New Whatsapp Group Video Feature In HD Quality. / Nigerians Heavily Cursed A Girl Who Reported MTN 120GB Viral Cheat / 3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.