Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,478 members, 7,816,129 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:02 AM

Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? - Phones (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? (13659 Views)

Is Blackberry Q5 Good Enough?or Should I Go For Another Andriod Phone / Why Is Blackberry Bigger Than I-phone, Andriod And Htc In Naija? / Where Is Blackberry Office In Lagos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by innoachukw(m): 8:12am On Jul 02, 2012
I hv noticed dat lots of pple just say wateva dey lik witout even confirming 1st.....

I use blackberry, I don't really lik d phone becus it doesn't hv much features lik android & iphone....the only advantage dat a blackberry hv ova these other phones is its UNLIMITED DATA PLAN...legally

Yes I said it..UNLIMITED DATA PLAN using BBC which is just N1500/month.

I use MTN and I hv downloaded way more dan 2GB, d download speed dat I get where I stay averages 200KBps & I use an ordinary bold 2....

I'm 1 of d few wise pple in Nigeria dat actually bought a BB not 4 show off nor pinging, bt 4 its unlimited data plan......so if u r amongst d other majority dat bought a BB just 2 belong, u r definitely under utilizing ur BB and will soon enuf dispose of d phone....I rest my case...
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Akainzo(m): 8:14am On Jul 02, 2012
blackweaver:

And what happens when BB eventually goes bankrupt? you think you'd still have your "unlimited data" because unless something changes soon that is going to happen; truth of the matter is nigeria may be a large market in africa but it's a very small market in the world; we really have very few big spenders over here, in fact most bb phones in circulation are not brand new, so how is RIM going to sustain themselves on that? even the indian market is moving away from BB

When that time comes, Nigerians will re-evaluate and make decisions that suits them economically. Until that time, the BlackBerry would continue to lead in sales across Nigeria.
Also, make no mistake, more than half of iPhones in NIgeria are also not brand new, so it cuts across all brands.

But if you look at the bigger picture, the BlackBerry subscriber base still increased worldwide despite shrinking/collapsing sales in US. Thus it means outside of the US, the BlackBerry is still a strong brand for consumers.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Akainzo(m): 8:16am On Jul 02, 2012
innoachukw: I hv noticed dat lots of pple just say wateva dey lik witout even confirming 1st.....

I use blackberry, I don't really lik d phone becus it doesn't hv much features lik android & iphone....the only advantage dat a blackberry hv ova these other phones is its UNLIMITED DATA PLAN...legally

I use MTN and I hv downloaded way more dan 2GB, d download speed dat I get where I stay averages 200KBps & I use an ordinary bold 2....

I'm 1 of d few wise pple in Nigeria dat actually bought a BB not 4 show off nor pinging, bt 4 its unlimited data plan......so if u r amongst d other majority dat bought a BB just 2 belong, u r definitely under utilizing ur BB and will soon enuf dispose of d phone....I rest my case...

Thanks for stating your personal reasons for buying the BB, could you however share the features that the Android or iPhone has that the BB does not have?
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by innoachukw(m): 8:24am On Jul 02, 2012
Akainzo:

Thanks for stating your personal reasons for buying the BB, could you however share the features that the Android or iPhone has that the BB does not have?

For 1, android & iphone has way more apps dan BB,secondly, BB isn't developers (hackers) friendly...it seems everytin abt BB is original onlike d custom OS we get wit other platforms.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by tjadeba(m): 8:39am On Jul 02, 2012
IPhone and Android are more applications friendly - Fact, but how many of such applications are useful in Nigeria? So does one need to spend so much on data for just streaming video or chatting? As in I don't expect a lowly and averagely paid worker in Nigeria to expend so much on communication just because he/she wants use the latest phones.Technology deployment/use should match returns on investment or something near to it if not being used for business purposes.The idea people had about BB phones in Nigeria before now was "its just a fad" and it will soon fizzle,but I think its fast changing because of how the gadget has helped the way people communicate.Contrary to the OP's reasoning that its a thing of prestige,its more of an efficient and economical communication gadget.
Nigerian users don't buy new Blackberry phones- Fact,but they also don't buy new iPhones and HTCs,so regardless of how sales are currently falling or rising in the smart phone market,I don't think the Nigerian market counts a lot (just my thoughts), but a sales chart could disprove my theory o.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by innoachukw(m): 8:51am On Jul 02, 2012
tjadeba: IPhone and Android are more applications friendly - Fact, but how many of such applications are useful in Nigeria? So does one need to spend so much on data for just streaming video or chatting? As in I don't expect a lowly and averagely paid worker in Nigeria to expend so much on communication just because he/she wants use the latest phones.Technology deployment/use should match returns on investment or something near to it if not being used for business purposes.The idea people had about BB phones in Nigeria before now was "its just a fad" and it will soon fizzle,but I think its fast changing because of how the gadget has helped the way people communicate.Contrary to the OP's reasoning that its a thing of prestige,its more of an efficient and economical communication gadget.
Nigerian users don't buy new Blackberry phones- Fact,but they also don't buy new iPhones and HTCs,so regardless of how sales are currently falling or rising in the smart phone market,I don't think the Nigerian market counts a lot (just my thoughts), but a sales chart could disprove my theory o.

We r both sayin dsame tin, I lik downloading, mainly tru torrent! Bt I don't tink BB has a torrent downloading software, and even if it does, it won't b free and even if I'm willin 2 pay 4 it, d payment method won't b easy.....dat is d major area dat am havin problem wit BB, becus am very sure 1 can get such app (torrent app) on android platform....(Hacked apps)....
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Akainzo(m): 9:01am On Jul 02, 2012
innoachukw:
For 1, android & iphone has way more apps dan BB,secondly, BB isn't developers (hackers) friendly...it seems everytin abt BB is original onlike d custom OS we get wit other platforms.

Now you are at it, having more apps is NOT a feature! All of them have their applications market, just that one has more apps in it than the others.
However, note that having 250 File Managers does not make you any better than a platform that has just 10 quality File Managers - all, 250 or 10, achieve the same thing - managing files.
Everyone agrees, the security inherent in the BlackBerry is the reason it is the device of choice for CEOs and also the President of USA.

So back to my question, which features are in Android or IOS that is not in BlackBerry?
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Akainzo(m): 9:10am On Jul 02, 2012
innoachukw:
We r both sayin dsame tin, I lik downloading, mainly tru torrent! Bt I don't tink BB has a torrent downloading software, and even if it does, it won't b free and even if I'm willin 2 pay 4 it, d payment method won't b easy.....dat is d major area dat am havin problem wit BB, becus am very sure 1 can get such app (torrent app) on android platform....(Hacked apps)....

There are no native torrent clients becuase of the same security reasons that BB is known for. However there are ways to go about it, search very well and you would discover them.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by n0m0705(m): 10:20am On Jul 02, 2012
blackweaver:

And what happens when BB eventually goes bankrupt? you think you'd still have your "unlimited data" because unless something changes soon that is going to happen; truth of the matter is nigeria may be a large market in africa but it's a very small market in the world; we really have very few big spenders over here, in fact most bb phones in circulation are not brand new, so how is RIM going to sustain themselves on that? even the indian market is moving away from BB
I guess we'll have to wait till that time, and who says RIM is not doing anything to redeem itself or there won't be another cheaper alternative before RIM go bankrupt. The truth is BB is very cheap data wise compare to other smart phone,so for now it's BB all the way until my level changes.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Babaneh(m): 11:15am On Jul 02, 2012
Jst to prove unaccountable big boys n gals. Many uses it cos they saw others using it and they perceive BB as sometin in vogue.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:41am On Jul 02, 2012
Seun:
I'm confused. How can networks afford to offer unlimited plans to blackberry users? Do you download the same amount on BB?
_
They can afford to because the BB service uses RIM's servers and bandwidth instead of the network providers' servers and bandwidth. That's why when the network providers' servers go down and your normal smartphone can't browse, you'll find the BB up and running.
And yes, I download the same amount with the BB. It's due to BB's data compression, whereby data usage is compressed by a ratio of 5:1, sometimes 6:1. Ie. A 1GB file is downloaded with 200 or 250MB, as the case may be.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Orikinla(m): 12:08pm On Jul 02, 2012
musKeeto: Cos we love mediocrity......
. You are right. Majority of those using BB in Nigeria are just copycats.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Bawss1(m): 1:41pm On Jul 02, 2012
See how the BB trolls attack with venom.

Looking at you Chuky234, Akainzo et al angry
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by chucky234(m): 2:50pm On Jul 02, 2012
Bawss1: See how the BB trolls attack with venom.

Looking at you Chuky234, Akainzo et al angry
did read my first post,I have used almost all the big phones out there and currently own HTC EVO 4G which bought after selling my iphone 4s to compliment my Bold5.
As a businessman my BB is more relevant to me as it does all my core jobs while my EVO 4G android phone is a mere show-off device,I find it funny spending N28,000 on datas just browse on my android phone when I can spend just N1,400 on my bold5 and get same results.

I also people to know that 70% of Blackberry phones in Nigeria were bought used,that's to say Nigeria market offer little to RIM growth except on data usage.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Ronaldo200(m): 2:57pm On Jul 02, 2012
Akainzo:

1: Viber application. My mom has viber on her android phone, so she can call me here directly at a fraction of the price of normal MTN calls. Viber is available on BB but only for text message, on iPhone and Android you can actually make calls through it
2: iTunes.....biggest store of online music in the world, not available on BB
3:iCloud. Meaning that every single photograph I take on my iPhone is automatically backed up in the cloud, don't need any cables or sync or USB.
4: much better camera on iPhone 4s than any BB fone
5: instagram app, not avail on BB but only on iPhone and android
6: the App stores on android and iTunes are significantly better and arable one to find things that they need or want. Larger selection of podcasts, larger selection of free games, larger selection of native movies and tv shows
7: FaceTime video calling. Not available on BB
8: maps function on iPhone works even if you don't have a data plan or wifi. Meaning that whether you are tracking or driving, the maps will always still show directions
9: You might say apps don't matter but they really do, because they increase the functionality of the phone. With my iPhone, I was able to 1) scan my tax documents and FAX them off to the receiver, do my daily devotion through Open Heavens each day, watch every day my favorite pastors video podcasts, easily edit photographs with photoshop software, follow news from any region of the world cos almost every major newspaper has an android ormiphone app, but not a BB app, I trade stocks, can browse on Google Chrome (which in my opinion is the best browser anywhere).

I sold my android so just maintain a bb and iPhone, but I can honestly say that the BB is the least useful of the three, but that is just my opinion, to each his own. But BB is good because the emails system was a bit better, even though it struggles to handle larger email files.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Ronaldo200(m): 2:59pm On Jul 02, 2012
innoachukw: I hv noticed dat lots of pple just say wateva dey lik witout even confirming 1st.....

Very true. If the BB data plan is much cheaper, then definitely one would use BB. If used properly, it can be a very useful handset.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Ekavint: 6:24pm On Jul 02, 2012
Maybe most Nigerians like BB cos they are black as the name goes
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:09pm On Jul 02, 2012
Whats da best platform? Android users will shout 'Android!.Symbianizers will shout 'Symbian while a black man will shout 'blackberry! ''Who go say im mama food no sweet!''
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by davades(m): 6:11pm On Jul 03, 2012
Basic:
Stop deceiving yourself, the plan is not unlimited. It is just 1GB. Most people erroneously think it is unlimited because they do not get to exhaust their 1GB within 30 days. Try downloading 2-3 high quality full length films and you'll see it's not "unlimited".

Bro which network do u use ƒσя ur BIS...I use glo And I download films anyhow within 30days
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Jsteed: 3:10am On Jul 06, 2012
Aifey: U 4got we ar amongs d developin countries thts y. Don't u ask y we stil purchase used cars y our big girls stil put on used pants n bras. Out there BB is an old story but we hav nt seen it b4. Later it wil stil go down. Nokia is aswel cuttin down its work force by 2%.
In USA, people still buy used phones, used cars, and used cloths, even people look for free stuffs, therefore it is not only in Nigeria that people are buying used things, As long as the item is in good condition, reasonable price, then it is a great buy!!!
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by Lexusgs430: 4:31am On Jul 06, 2012
Jsteed:
In USA, people still buy used phones, used cars, and used cloths, even people look for free stuffs, therefore it is not only in Nigeria that people are buying used things, As long as the item is in good condition, reasonable price, then it is a great buy!!!

One man's thrash,is another man's treasure!!!
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by MrAwesome1(m): 11:09am On Jul 08, 2012
Basic:
Stop deceiving yourself, the plan is not unlimited. It is just 1GB. Most people erroneously think it is unlimited because they do not get to exhaust their 1GB within 30 days. Try downloading 2-3 high quality full length films and you'll see it's not "unlimited".

Even if it is just 1gig,is there any other phone I can use apart from blackberry that can still give me that much value for my money. Considering d fact that its just 1500 naira for d month.
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by kennedyugo: 8:45pm On Nov 19, 2012
I discovered one can actually use airtel bb plan on another phone. But I want to know whether it is legal to do so
Re: Why Is BlackBerry Seen As Prestigious In Nigeria? by igaro: 9:27am On Dec 08, 2012
Billyonaire: You have made a valid point. I have both BB and Android phones ranging from Galaxy Tab to Galaxy Note, none gives the economy found on BB, apart from just 3k per month on MTN, the call rates are reduced about 19kobo. MY Galaxy Note, 200MB of Data costs me 1000 Naira and I exhaust it in one day using same youtube and media sites I use with BB that lasts a month. I want someone to tell me without sentiment what application I need in a phone that could make me follow the hateful bandwagon...of BB haters.
Gbagaun! True yarns.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Use The New Whatsapp Group Video Feature In HD Quality. / Nigerians Heavily Cursed A Girl Who Reported MTN 120GB Viral Cheat / 3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.